Anybody ride Primevil Whirl yet?

Rotel1026

OK, a bit of a newbie here so pardon what could be a stupid question to some. I remember reading about "Excavator" but was under the impression that Primieval Whirl was basically Excavator with a different name and slightly less impressive theming? If so, what reason other than cost, was that ride not built over Primieval Whirl? From what I remember reading, wasn't Excavator supposed to be a trip thru a dig site and then coming face to face with a real dinosaur? Or something relatively close to that? If so, then it would seem like this wuldn't take that much harder to have built other than maybe getting AA figures (assuming dinosaurs you ran into would be AA's). Just curious since someone else seemed to be implying that it would have taken that much longer to put in a higher quality ride. Again, other than cost, I don't see what would have made PW easier to add. Mouse coasters are often put up in traveling carnivals in a day or two. PW doesn't used concrete footers do they? And even if it does, it doesn't take many so construction could have gone a lot faster than it did. What took them longer to build this was all the theming they did put on it. Just trying to make the point that if the basic difference between PW and Excavator was just theming then it shouldn't have taken them that much longer to build. It was an issue of money in that case.

Valentin

Chad

When you think about it, No, technology really hasn't changed the 'off the shelf rides'. Yes, Technology has made some wonderful leaps and bounds with the experience E-tickets can provide, but when it comes down to those 'filler' attractions, nope, not much has changed. New Technology is expensive, which is exactly what lower-ticket rides aren't. They fill space, give people something to do between walking from Dinosaur to Kali Rapids, and are realitivly inexpensive. Thats What Eisner and the Boys were thinking, thats what Disney and his early imagineers where thinking, and thats the way it is. I know i took some liberties with that, but..Hey, It's late.

And IF tecnhology has made such WONDERFUL leaps and bounds, what sort of side attraction would you have had them built? What magnificent new carnival ride was thought up that is just so inexpensive, yet so entirely entertaining that it HAS to be added?

ToTBellHop

I don't think you all would have complained had Dino Rama originally opened with Dinoland...just like I don't see you complaining when Beastlie opens with a major E-Ride and some smaller attractions. This project took so long to finish because disney is usually slow with construction projects...and because this coaster purposely has about 10 times as much metal as it needs (it needs about 10% of those supports to stand up...). Also, this is not a carnival ride. It could not easily (relatively speaking) be taken down...it is actually bound to its cement base...not just sitting there. For the person who asked, Excavator was ORIGINALLY a wooden coaster, then it changed to a coaster that would have two tracks--one for adults and one for kids. The original Excavator is pictured in the background of original Dinoland concept art...thinking it would have been something like California Screamin'...cuz we all know disney doesn't like to build REAL wooden coasters...

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
Originally posted by DogsRule!
I don't think you all would have complained had Dino Rama originally opened with Dinoland...

That is so hypothetical, who knows if it is true or not?

I kind of disagree, for example DCA opened with far to many of these type of rides and has been blasted by critics. Attendence suffers a major problem in that park.

If Dinoland opened, with Dinorama, and I never saw a Jubillee, or a fossil lab, well who knows what I would think of it today.

All I know is it did open with far better intents in 1998, then it can continue to deliver in 2002.

koala5

Primeval Whirl

I rode primeval Whirl today (earlier today they opened it for awhile) and I was impressed because of how fun it was with all of the spinning, but it also suffers from problems:

1) The height requirement is 48" for both tracks, preventing some children from getting on it.

2) Some adults who are tall enough will not like it because it isn't very intense

3) The cheesy carnival setting keeps crowds from coming near

3rdShiftCM

Originally posted by Chad
I always laugh when someone says "Disney doesn't never uses off the shelf rides with some extra decorations.." I ALWAYS laugh..Noone says ANYTHING about the teacups, about the carousel..or about the dark rides (like peter pan and snow white..) Which are rides you can find at ANY local carnival, just dresssed up a bit better.

The dark rides in Fantasyland are not off the shelf rides. The system they use may be common but the ride's are unique. Peter Pan's ride system is a mini monorail system, when have you seen that at a carnival? An off the shelf dark ride would be a trailer with theaming. If you call the FL dark rides off the shelf then Splash Mountain would be the same, a common ride system just dressed up.

space42

2004?? hmmm

Wonder why people are assuming BK is opening in 2004. That is only 1 1/2 - 2 years away. It usualy takes Disney longer than that to develope and build new E-Ticket. There has been no construction, no announcement other than internet rumors and wild speculation. They started construction on Mission Space in 2000 (3 years before it will open) and thats only one attraction.

I would say that PW is a C-Ticket at best. How can you compair it to other E-Tickets like Pirates, Mansion, Splash Mountain, and TOT?????? Thats almost in insult to those classic E-Ticket attractions.

I think that AK really needs an attraction on the scope of the above mentioned E-Tickets. Lets hope that BK gets the green light soon.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Castle Cake Apologist

Re: 2004?? hmmm

Originally posted by space42
I would say that PW is a C-Ticket at best. How can you compair it to other E-Tickets like Pirates, Mansion, Splash Mountain, and TOT?????? Thats almost in insult to those classic E-Ticket attractions.

So, why exactly are these rides classics? Is it because they are older? So... 10 or 15 years down the line, will PW be a "classic"? Or perhaps it's because some of them were designed under the supervision of Walt? So, if Walt had helped design PW would it be a "classic"? or perhaps its because of the wallop they pack... If PW had a 13 story drop would it be a "classic"? I would really like to see what the definition of a "classic" is. Having grown up in the "Carny" (as you put it) atmosphere (My parent's own a concession stand and we used to have kiddy rides), I think Disney has done an AMAZING job at this. DinoLand is quickly becoming my favorite section in the park simply because of the amazing creative theming forces behind this. Look around you people!! IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK CHEAP!! Disney has done a facinating job at making this look gaudily carnival like, but still remain tasteful. I think all of you are just too used to Disney releasing a great E-ride lately that you expect everything from them to be up to that "bar". I'd like to tell you though, just because the last few attractions have been great and pushed the limits technology-wise, that doesn't mean that everything they put out is going to. Open your eyes and just enjoy it people. It really is a nice addition. And about all the DUmbo rides lately, I rode them all with my little brother (He's 2) in January and we had a great time. It will be a memory that we will probably cherish for a long time. I think it is great to see Disney putting out (as you all put it) "Off the shelf" rides that CHILDREN can ride. My little brother had to sit out of the last 3 major attractions Disney has put out (ToT, RnRC, and TT) simply because he was too little to ride them. Even great rides like SPlash Mountain (Which he would've LOVED, all those animals? C'mon!) he couldn't ride because he was too little. At least with these new attractions DIsney is putting out, children can ride them with you. Maybe if you all would "grow down" a little, you might break down and enjoy it too.

BigAL

Whirl

I was at the Animal Kingdom last Thursday and rode the ride. It was a lot better than I expeceted it to be. The only problem I see with it is that the cars never stop in the station and it appeared they were having troulbe getting people in and out of the vehicles quick enough. Numerous cars were not opening and the cast member had to hook a lap top type device to the car to open it. I sure would not want to be a cast member operating this ride!

space42

So, why exactly are these rides classics? Is it because they are older? So... 10 or 15 years down the line, will PW be a "classic"? Or perhaps it's because some of them were designed under the supervision of Walt? So, if Walt had helped design PW would it be a "classic"? or perhaps its because of the wallop they pack... If PW had a 13 story drop would it be a "classic"

I used two older attracions and two newer attractions in my example. They are tried and true great attractions. They are great attractions because they tell a story and immerse you in the theme. Something PW doesn't do. What story is PW trying to tell?

Look around you people!! IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK CHEAP!!

This has to be a new low for Disney IMHO. It's not supposed to look cheap. It is cheap. It also clashes with the rest of AK.

you expect everything from them to be up to that "bar"

Well, that is no fault of mine. Disney constantly has upped the bar. That is what I expect from them. That has been what the have mostly been delivering for the last 47+ years.

I think it is great to see Disney putting out (as you all put it) "Off the shelf" rides that CHILDREN can ride. My little brother had to sit out of the last 3 major attractions Disney has put out (ToT, RnRC, and TT) simply because he was too little to ride them. Even great rides like SPlash Mountain (Which he would've LOVED, all those animals? C'mon!) he couldn't ride because he was too little. At least with these new attractions DIsney is putting out, children can ride them with you. Maybe if you all would "grow down" a little, you might break down and enjoy it too.

You do realize that PW's hight restricion is 48". Thats right, same as R&RC. Looks like your little brother will have to sit this one out too.

I "grow down" everytime I go to WDW. Thats why I love it so much.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
I agree with you Disneyexpert, rides that children can ride are always a great improvement.

But as for your definition of classic, no Walt does not have to had built it to qualify. There are many post Walt wonderful classic attractions, Hall Of Presidents, Splash Mountain, Pooh, Test Track, Muppet Vision 3-d, Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Caoster, It's Tough To Be A Bug, Buzz Lightyear, over in California you have Roger Rabbit, Indiana Jones Adventure, Soarin Over California, this list could go on.

Some are suitable for kids, and some are not, Primevil Whirl clearly does not support a kid friendly attrraction, although I agree Triceratops Spin does.

The point is I can enjoy it as much as anybody, but I can also recognize they have lowered the bar. Sure Alladin's carpets, is a great hit with kids, but the point is, they do know how to make plenty of kid friendly rides long after Walt. But it was not until about a year ago that they started opening attractions, (or even entire park's as is the case with Disney's California Adventure), with attractions that are fun, but unspectacular and at many other theme parks.

Disney's entire sucess was the fact that Disney would open a different type of park, and it's very true the park opened with Dumbo and Teacups, but it also opened with a Jungle Cruise, a Mark Twain circling an entire Tom Sawer Island, and only 4 years after the park opened added a Matterhorn mountain, a monorial system, and many others.

Spinners are fun and great for kids, but is it really a different experiance riding Aladdin's carpets, then it was riding Dumbo? Disney opened it's first spinner in 1955. It didn't do it again until 1971, when it was attempting to open a park similar to the original, and with the exception of the two additional Fantasyland's opened in Paris and Tokyo, did not even attempt a 2nd spinner, until 2001 at the Magic Kingdom, 46 years after it's first spinner that the WDW resort already had.

You can say Snow White, and Peter Pan, and Pooh, are similar as well, however the big difference is only the track system is simlar. They provide entirely different shows. There is no show to Dumbo, Aladdin, or Triceratops, only the vehicle's shape differs.

Sure riding something like Aladdin's carpets is fun for kids, but they have the exact same type ride over at Universal's Islands Of Adventure, or at any local Six Flags park, Disney used to have higher standards that worked, it didn't require Walt, but it did require an investment.

Tourism has been down, I'm not blaming any of the current decesions on that, but the addition of Dinorama, the addition of Aladdin's Magic carpets, were all decesions made long before the slump. Dinorama didn't open till after the problems, but tourism slump or not, it was coming anyway, the dececion it was coming was made about 2 years ago.

I do enjoy the ride, and I understand the idea it's supposed to look cheap, but just because they sucesfully made it look cheap, does not show me they used a heck of a lot of talent. If I tell you I'm an artist, and only draw you a stick man, but explain I'm trying to capture the image as though a 4 year old drew it, does that really support my claim that I'm an artist?

Dinorama is a neat impovement, but they could have done a lot better, maybe not as quickly, but I was fine with what was there in the first place. Taking out the Jubilee and fossil lab lowered the educational level the area was attempting to provide. The attraction CTX (now called Dinosour) was the entertainment section, so the balance worked for me fine.

I don't go to an Animal Kingdom, and look for mouse caosters, and spinnters, I go and look for animals and information about animals. Who are Chester and Hester anyway? I don't recall them even being in a Disney film, to identify what this cheesy carnival even has to do with Disney.

BradleyJ

Chester and Hester have been part of the themeing of Dinoland from day one, they are a very important part of the design of Dinoland from the begining., and Dino-rama is an extension of the areas original theme.

And why does every thing have to be tied to soem Disney film.

Many people have been complaining that they are trying to make everything be some sort of movie tie-in, while most of what people concider the "Classic" attractions have NO MOVIE tie in.

Chad

<<The dark rides in Fantasyland are not off the shelf rides. The system they use may be common but the ride's are unique. Peter Pan's ride system is a mini monorail system, when have you seen that at a carnival? An off the shelf dark ride would be a trailer with theaming. If you call the FL dark rides off the shelf then Splash Mountain would be the same, a common ride system just dressed up.>>

True, you're right, Peter Pan does have a different system, and thats not as good of an example as Snow white. I Stand corrected.

But They still both work of the same idea..Moving cart, light turn on to reveal a cardboard cut-out..Ah. What fun.

Splash Mountain, and the other mountains, use a basic ride system, but literally put it into another world w/ theming and sets and such. Practically everything in disney is just a dressed up carny ride, but HOW well dressed up it is determines wheter it is an E-ticket or a D-ticket (or however low he ticket rating system is) I'm not trying to say that PW is an E-ticket, it most certainly is not. But, Its also not the FIRST time Disney has used a D-ticket ridem they've been there forever. And as thispost proves, Many people enjoy them.

<<Well, that is no fault of mine. Disney constantly has upped the bar. That is what I expect from them. That has been what the have mostly been delivering for the last 47+ years. >>

<slaps his face> See my other posts..Yes they've upped the bar, but they've also used many other D-ticket rides just like this along the way...They'll still continue to up the bar..< turns his eyes over to Mission Space..>

BTW, The spinners..Eck..Thats a whole other story, thats something I refuse to defend disney on..It is a disgrace..They could have atleast used a DIFFERENT type of carny ride...Like the kind with all the swinging seats..

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
I understand Chester and Hester have been a part of Dinoland since the start of AK but I was wondering who they are?

They don't have to be a part of a film, but it would be nice to know who they are.

I guess Figment would be a simalar comparison, but at least we clearly understand he is a Figment of your imagination.

I don't understand why anybody would question why most Disney charecters come from classic movies, rather then just appear out of the blue in some Disney park.

The tradition started in before Disneyland, when charecters would appear at special events, especially in the Ice Capades. The tradition continues through Disney's latest films, with Kronk and Kuzco, from the Emporer's New Groove, or Mike and Scully from Monters INC. The idea is that you have to earn your privelage to appear in the Disney resorts by introducing yourself in a Disney project, be it film or televesion, that's why you don't see Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker or Fred Flintstone in a Disney park. Chester and Hester? I never heard of em from any studio.

gcurling

Just a few thoughts on this thread.

1) PW an E ticket?? Then so is the Barnstormer.

2) What makes ToT an amazing attraction has little to nothing to do with a 13 story drop.

3) There's an awful lot of talk in this thread about Mission:Space being an unbelievable attraction, one that puts Disney back on the innovation map. I sure hope so, but I'd wait to praise it at least until it opens.

adr315

I think everyone may forget that EVERY SINGLE Tomorrowland (or Discoveryland, in Paris case) around the world also has a spinner.....meaning MK alone has 3 spinners......

Also, if i heard correctly, The Excavator would have been a clone of the Indiana Jones coaster in Paris

ToTBellHop

The Excavator was originally a full-fledged wooden coaster...not a clone of Indy. Beastlie can certainly be built by late 2004--2.75 years from now. We all know how long the Space Pavillion will take to complete--and it will open 2.5 years after construction began (not including tearing down Horizons, b/c the land for Beastlie is already cleared away). Also, contrary to popular belief, Primeval Whirl was not cheap--each of those coasters probably costs a couple million bare-minimum, and disney added tons of supports and other two-dimensional objects, a queue, and themed cars. Secondly...there is a story to Dino-Rama. Chester and Hester, like Mickey Mouse, are corporate symbols. There are two companies in Dinoland--the Dino Institute and Chester and Hesters. Both are trying to get tourist dollars (although the Dino Institute hates to admit it). Chester and Hester's saw that many guests were coming to the Dino Institute to come experience time travel with their fabled Time Rovers, so Chester and Hester's decided to open up a shop to try and make money off the Dino Institute's guests. They made a lot of money, and then decided they would build a small tourist trap along the road to the Dino Institute. Of course, it needed to be dino themed, but they were not willing to spend as much money as the Dino Institute had, so they built TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl!--Primeval Whirl!, of course, being their version of time travel. Is it gaudy? Yes...but there is a story, and it IS what it's supposed to be.

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by DogsRule!
The Excavator was originally a full-fledged wooden coaster...not a clone of Indy. Beastlie can certainly be built by late 2004--2.75 years from now. We all know how long the Space Pavillion will take to complete--and it will open 2.5 years after construction began (not including tearing down Horizons, b/c the land for Beastlie is already cleared away). Also, contrary to popular belief, Primeval Whirl was not cheap--each of those coasters probably costs a couple million bare-minimum, and disney added tons of supports and other two-dimensional objects, a queue, and themed cars. Secondly...there is a story to Dino-Rama. Chester and Hester, like Mickey Mouse, are corporate symbols. There are two companies in Dinoland--the Dino Institute and Chester and Hesters. Both are trying to get tourist dollars (although the Dino Institute hates to admit it). Chester and Hester's saw that many guests were coming to the Dino Institute to come experience time travel with their fabled Time Rovers, so Chester and Hester's decided to open up a shop to try and make money off the Dino Institute's guests. They made a lot of money, and then decided they would build a small tourist trap along the road to the Dino Institute. Of course, it needed to be dino themed, but they were not willing to spend as much money as the Dino Institute had, so they built TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl!--Primeval Whirl!, of course, being their version of time travel. Is it gaudy? Yes...but there is a story, and it IS what it's supposed to be.

THANK you! All you people think it has no storyline... EVERYTHING at Disney has some sort of story, that's the tradition of Imagineering! Also, all of you who don't know who Chester and Hester are, (other then characters from Playboy, but we'll excuse that for now) you can see their picture in the store they own. And, you gotta love their car! too funny!! :lol: Disney did a great job poking fun at the tourist business and I commend them for it.

ToTBellHop

I might add...Dinosaur Jubilee and the Fossil Station were ALWAYS meant to disappear...Dr. Marsh has always said that fossil study was "about to become extinct". Now it has at Dinoland.

BradleyJ

What's even cooler is I am friend with the guy that created the Chester Stretmoshpere character.

I know Hester as well, but I'm not to fond of her.

Chester, also worked for years at the Adventurers Club, playing Otis, Graves and Fletcher. Currently he is in Tokyo playing a part at TDS.

He is supposed to be back in a few moths.

Hester, occasionaly played Pamelia at the ADV Club, and I saw her at Flights if Wonder as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom