Anybody ride Primevil Whirl yet?

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
Originally posted by BradleyJ
So according to you all new attractions have to based on the standard array of Disney Characters. Somehow and new areas or attractions not based on them are not either equal are deserving of recognition.

I would like to know what Disney film any of the original, Non-Fantasyland, attractions were based on.

You can't, they are all completely original, none of them were based on an existing work.

The first, Film based attraction added outside of Fantasyland, was Star Tours, next after the was Splash Mountain.

It is only a recent development, and then only used at sparingly, that attractions have some sort of pre-existing tie in.
[/QUOTE

Actually that's not true there is quite a few example, Swiss Family Treehouse (that's obvious), Matterhorn Mountain is based from a Disney film, The Submarine was based on a Disney film. Mark Twain Riverboat, Tom Sawer Island. But some are not based on classic films, you are absolutly right. But the difference is they tell stories, so they don't need to base it on actual fimls. Haunter Mansion, Pirates, Tower of Terror all have a story to them, so they didn't have to add charecters. Even Matterhorn Mountain over at Disneyland didn't tell much of a story, so it was rehabbed in 1978 to add the Adbonable (sp?) Snowman. No the charecters don't have to come from classic films and movies, but it would be nice if the attraction told their story. That's the difference of Disney parks and others, Disney has attractions, that tell stories. Other parks have typical rides found at any local carnival. But every non Disney park has spinners or coasters that shape the cars into some sort of shape they hope will appeal to the audience. This is exactly why I'm just as critical of Disney's California Adventure adding Flick's Fun Faire, which also will just be three additional carnival rides, but that's another resort so I'll save that discussion for the Disneyland thread.

The Tiki room would be a great example of attractions where the charecters are not based on a film, but watching the attraction you understand who they are, what they are doing, and why they are there. The Country Bears would be another.

I'm not suggesting Chester and Hester need a film, what they need is a story, if the story is out there somewhere they need to promote it. The whole argument totaly explains why I don't think much of Primevil Whirl. Why not have them do a charecter greet in the area? They could have easily added a "Chester, and Hestor" dark ride that would have been enjoyed by kids, as well as explain their story They didn't want to spend that kind of money though because it would have involved Imaganeers much more extinsively then adding Dinorama, which basically just took a few to design the cars on Triceratops Spin and Primevil Whirl.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
Originally posted by BradleyJ
I did say, ORIGINAL.

Swiss Family Treehouse was not added until later.

True, you did, for that matter the submarines and Matterhorn were not original, but the point is they have been basing attractions from their movies for years, even outside of Fantasyland, and even outside of the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland. Star Tours was not the first time they did it again. They've been doing it since the 50's.

ToTBellHop

The Haunted Mansion tells a story? All I truly get from it is guests touring a haunted house...every other story I have heard has come from Cast Members or Imagineers, and every version I hear is different. There is no obvious story for The Haunted Mansion. Yet, this is one of the most popular attractions in disney history (EVERYONE knows about The Haunted Mansion)

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
Yes the Haunted Mansion tells a story.

We won't even go into the "official story" as you said people give different versions.

Stories don't have to start with once upon a time, and they lived happily ever after to qualify as stories.

Even if you don't get half the details of the officiial story, you arrive at a Hunted Mansion. Your ghost host will be your tour. The tour begins in the gallery, as portaits of residents are on display in their mortal state. Suddenly the room begins to stretch, and no there is no way out, except for the ghost host's way.

Residents continue to watch you as you journey into your doombuggy. There are 999 happy haunts, but there is room for 1000 should you choose to volunteer.

Your ghost host explains that the residents are starting to welcome you. Madam Leota helps call all of the spirits. Passing through the attic you see the bride, who haunts the mansion, (she drowned, but that's in the official story, I agree most guests don't pick up on that)

Suddenly your ghost host has been called away for a party, and you see all the spirits dancing away and laughing in the ballrooom.

Next you enter a graveyard, where the old caretaker, with his friendly dog, shake at the site. There are ghosts rising from graves, playing in bands, singing "Grim Grinning Ghosts" to help further enhance the story. There is an official Mickey (and no it's not the one set up in the ballroom, that one is unofficial). Next you are approached by hitchiking guosts, and last they are actually in the doombuggy with you.

Finally on your way up the escalator you are encouraged to hurry back, and not to forget your death certificate when you return.

Haunted Mansion is a classic, not because it's really introduces any specific charecters, but it puts you inside the story, as they all do. No Disney attraction completely tells any story, they can't they only have you anywhere from 90 seconds to 6 minutes.

The entire mansion was built, and still has nothing to do with the ride system. It was simply for show, as the mansion was built years before the attraction even opened. At Disneyland you are under the railroad tracks backstage, and at Magic Kingdom you are in show building well behind the mansion.

I don't know of any story that can be summarized like that when riding Primevil Whirl.

ToTBellHop

I will agree with you that Primeval Whirl, in itself, does not tell much of a story. It's Dino-Rama in its entirety that has a story. However...I have to disagree that no ride tells an complete story. I've always felt like the Tower of Terror told a complete story...but, regardless...you have to take all of Dino-Rama as a whole, much like you must with Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Mr. Toad

OK, I admit I never really knew the "story" behind Chester and Hester's until I read about it here. But I can see how Primeval Whirl fits in Dino-Land. It is Chester & Hester's "cheap" alternative to the Dino-Institute's ride through time. It is sort of making fun of Dinosaur since Chester and Hester want you to give them your money instead of the Dino-Institute. They have the time machines, the dinosaurs, the meteor. It basically trys to tell the same story (as far as Chester & Hester are concerned) only it is a sideshow instead of the real thing. So come on down and travel back through time at Chester & Hester's (do they give you a free glass or trading stamps with each ride :lol: ).

Of course not having actually been on the ride yet I don't know how this theory holds up but I will see when I get there.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
Originally posted by DogsRule!
I will agree with you that Primeval Whirl, in itself, does not tell much of a story. It's Dino-Rama in its entirety that has a story. However...I have to disagree that no ride tells an complete story. I've always felt like the Tower of Terror told a complete story...but, regardless...you have to take all of Dino-Rama as a whole, much like you must with Mickey's Toontown Fair.

I DO look at Dino-rama as a whole, and still don't see much of a story. I do get the idea, that it's a cheap area (not a story I'd be proud to tell if I was an imaganeer),

But I see this story much more made up by guests trying to justify wht Dinorama is there. Unlike a well laid out story an attraction like Haunted Mansion, or any of the other classics.

I agree TOT does tell a complete story as well as HM, that's pretty much the point, some do, and Dino-Rama doesn't.

BradleyJ

"I see this story much more made up by guests trying to justify wht Dinorama is there. "

Actually the story was made up by the Disney Imagineers.

And fleshed out from the WDI backstory by two friends of mine that Created the Characters of Chester and Hester as peformed in the park.

Just like Another friend of mine, was part of the DAK opening crew, who help create the original Dino-Land grad-student group. Too bad they went away when Chester and Hester 1st made their flesh and blood appearance back in 2000.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
I don't dispute for a moment the story was made up by official imaganeers, the problem is the story is not told to the public with an attraction or anything.

BradleyJ

I guess we just have a differnt attitude.

You feel the need to have everything told to you in black and white.

A nice little pre-show with an explanation of what you are going to see.

Unfortunatly, that isn't what you get with Dino-land.

There is a lot to the story, but you have to find it. It is told all over the place.

From the notes,on the Grad Student dig board, to the decorations inside the resturant. To the hand made signas and artifacts around C&H's gift shop. To the other things scatered aroudn throughout the land.

It's like a serial novel.

You have to find each chapter and read it, you find it in little bits and pieces, and only after you got them all do you know the whole story.

It isn't a novel, where they had the whole thing to you at one time.

It is like a painted by George Suerat, you have to stand back to see his work, if you get to close all you see is a bunch of dot, but if you stand back far enough, the picture becomes clear.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
You just made my point what I've been saying in this whole thread. I get it, and you get it, but 99% of the Animal Kingdom guests don't.

So therefore the addition will probably not help the overall attitude of the park, which is what I said way back on page one.

The guests get the stories when they are told to them, but not when they have to spend hours looking on signs and figure it out for themselves , they ride attractions, not read billboards all day.

Nobody riding Primevil Whirl better understands Chester and Hester, they think they were at a carnival, period, end of story. Disagee all you like, but then listen to guest reaction. They may like the coaster, they may hate the caoster, but nobody leaves the coaster discussing Chester and Hester.

Ask the average guest leaving Dinorama and they will say "what billboard?" Also don't forget the entire Chester and Hester story was already made back in 1998 when the shop opend. They didn't add to the story by adding Dino-Rama, the shop was already the cheap competition to the Dino Institute.

So the story might be there, but it's been there since 1998, the addition of Dino-Rama did not enhance it whatsoever. It added carnival rides and games, that's it.

However the guests for whatever reason get the story in the attraction Dinosour, (maybe not all of it, but they kind of get the idea at least), That's all I've been saying in this entire thread.

ToTBellHop

Well...you've always had to put effort into any disney vacation if you want to notice all of the thought that goes into things. However--point well taken. Problem is they couldn't add a preshow, as it would detract from the theme of the area. Perhaps a dedication stone like you see when you enter the park would be better, which explains the idea of the tourist trap. Regardless of story, most people who have ridden have admitted that it is a fun ride, so I think it will be quite popular--but not something to write home about like the E-Rides.

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
I think we have finally come to agree, and get each other's ponts.

I totally agree it's fun, I've only been on once, but I plan on riding many more times. I never disagreed that the attraction wasen't fun, just as you said, not one of Disney's best.

Guests will ride, no doubt, but will it really increase overall park attendance? I doubt it. Nobodody's going to run home and suggest to friends a visit to Animal Kingdom, simply because of the addition of this new attraction. People don't expect mouse coasters from an animal park, and the rides they do think are there should be up to Disney standards, like Dinosaur, Kilomanjari Safari, It's Tough To Be A Bug, and Kali River Rapids. In fact it will probably cause more negative then positive reactions, making people wonder if they should even bother including Animal Kingdom in their WDW trip.

Nothing wrong with adding a Cticket attraction at all. Everything can't be an Eticket, but even most Ctickets are up to Disney standards in the parks.

Simply being fun, has lowered the bar. Lots of rides at non Disney parks are simply fun.

Rotel1026

Originally posted by DLMAGICDARREN
People don't expect mouse coasters from an animal park, and the rides they do think are there should be up to Disney standards, like Dinosaur, Kilomanjari Safari, It's Tough To Be A Bug, and Kali River Rapids.

Sorry, can't help myself. But where do mouse coasters belong if not in an animal park? Mice are animals too.

Yes, I'm joking.

Valentin

ChiGuy4Now

I haven't been to the park since they've added this new section, but I wonder if there would be such an issue with this section if they hadn't thrown together the Pier over at DCA. If they didn't have a Mad Mouse there, and hadn't had so many problems with it, would so many people be upset about the Crazy 'Mice' over at AK? And the same with Triceratops Spin. If the Carpets was not thrown into MK, would there be issues with having put this one into AK?

DLMAGICDARREN

Original Poster
While I certainly agree that DCA added the term "off the shelf" into everybody's vocabulary, I think it would still be critisized even if DCA had not been built the way it was.

The magic carpets over in the new Paris park, WDS, are receiving just as much critisism. So are attractions at Tokyo DisneySea, even though many attractions there are spectacular, some are not so great.

Not everything everywhere can be an Eticket, but there's a difference between Cticket and Cheapticket attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom