Anybody get a 35% raise last year?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sadly, Disney could do better if they wanted to. Consumers who visit the parks and have good and bad experiences are able to let management that is on duty know what is going on. There are plenty of people (more than likely of all ages) that would love to be effective, magical, difference making CMs, but they are wait listed or put to the side because they don't fit a certain demographic.
It's an infection that grew out of a faulty concept in the hospitality and restaurant industry where there was a false label applied on "american" labor as "lazy". Part of it is sloppy middle management (and upper management) focused too much on the labor line and not enough on everything else, but over the past 15 years or so, it's become a mantra that you "don't hire" certain types of people.

It's sad, but it's true. I remember when I worked for a major restaurant chain as a General Manager and later Corporate Trainer, being told by several of my superiors, more or less, that if "you hire latinos, the store will just run itself"...which is blatantly false, in fact it's ludicrously stupid.

There are good workers, and bad workers...and their race, immigration status, etc, shouldn't weigh in on that at all...ESPECIALLY when you are hiring people who are bad workers simply because you've deceived yourself into ignoring the results, but instead on their race / immigration status as a definition of the quality of work.

It's sad...But, it's pervasive in the industry.

In addition, a smaller more efficient workforce with higher wages DOES have a direct impact on results...and that's what should be managed first. The results. If you have that, the P&L will fall in line (most of the time).

PrincessNelly_NJ

If you call to arbitrarily raise the minimum wage across the board , you lack understanding of how capitalism and economics functions. Its an open market, if the jobs are not filled for the offered compensation then in an open market additional compensation in one form or another is added up to the point where the return on investment still provides sufficient financial return...ie profit.

Btw, Ive worked for seasonal wages before (less than minimum at amusement parks witha six in thier name), minimum wage, and enlisted military so its not like I havent been there myself. Ive since increased my education and skills so I make more.
Which hasnt worked out too well has it?
The rich are still getting richer...
The wage gap is a big problem in our country that really shouldn't be ignored.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Indeed. The wage gap between workers and executives in Japan is much, much narrower; would anyone say that Japan's economy is suffering because of that?
Considering they just got out of a nearly 20 year economic slump (I am grossly generalizing here because I don't wish to outline all the specifics) compared with rapid growth of the 60s through the 80s, I'm sure some economists would say that, yes.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Considering they just got out of a nearly 20 year economic slump (I am grossly generalizing here because I don't wish to outline all the specifics) compared with rapid growth of the 60s through the 80s, I'm sure some economists would say that, yes.
I personally wouldn't use Japan as a comparison. However, it is common knowledge that there is no way a country can survive when the majority have incomes that are not only stagnant or decreasing but when a minority continues to hold more and more of all available money.

That's combination is just itching for another economic collapse.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I personally wouldn't use Japan as a comparison. However, it is common knowledge that there is no way a country can survive when the majority have incomes that are not only stagnant or decreasing but when a minority continues to hold more and more of all available money.

Not collapse. Revolution. What makes it harder in modern society is that, unlike periods of time where the lifestyles and needs of the uber rich were dramatically different from the average lifestyle, in modern societies, this is far less the case.

It's really an interesting conundrum, but sheer "income disparity" isn't the key. It was in the past (look historically), but it is no longer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

That combination is the 'Demon Core' of economics.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not collapse. Revolution. What makes it harder in modern society is that, unlike periods of time where the lifestyles and needs of the uber rich were dramatically different from the average lifestyle, in modern societies, this is far less the case.

It's really an interesting conundrum, but sheer "income disparity" isn't the key. It was in the past (look historically), but it is no longer.

And what's scary is otherwise normal people are talking seriously about revolution these days. The 'smartest guys in the room' don't have a clue what's happening on main st.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And what's scary is otherwise normal people are talking seriously about revolution these days. The 'smartest guys in the room' don't have a clue what's happening on main st.
People talk, but last I checked we went through the "worst economic slump since the great depression" and I still saw Walmart packed with cars.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The issue is that many people view money as a finite commodity, when it is not. From there starts the fallacy of class warfare and political distractions from the real economic and social issues at hand.

Yes and also viewing economics as a zero sum game, Where the pie is size X and anything anyone else gets means less for me.

That being said executive compensation IS a zero sum game and money spent on executive compensation at public companies DOES mean less investment in product and services, It's interesting the performance of many companies is almost the inverse of executive compensation, The CEO of Toyota (#1 automaker by revenue in the world) gets 900 Thousand TOTAL,

CEO of GM untold millions for lackluster performance and dogs like the Volt where they lose $8,000 every car sold.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People talk, but last I checked we went through the "worst economic slump since the great depression" and I still saw Walmart packed with cars.

Check out the AMMO shelf at Wally World, It's cleaned out within hours of a delivery. I live in the country and I can tell you it's a bad vibe. All we need is a larger scale Ferguson or Bundy to go bad and the balloon is going to go up.

And I'm going to find a hole and pull it in after me and hope there is a country left after it's over.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Check out the AMMO shelf at Wally World, It's cleaned out within hours of a delivery. I live in the country and I can tell you it's a bad vibe. All we need is a larger scale Ferguson or Bundy to go bad and the balloon is going to go up.

And I'm going to find a hole and pull it in after me and hope there is a country left after it's over.
It's not that bad, imho. But, yes...rural areas are concerned about state and federal encroachment. But, that dynamic has always been the case.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes and also viewing economics as a zero sum game, Where the pie is size X and anything anyone else gets means less for me.

That being said executive compensation IS a zero sum game and money spent on executive compensation at public companies DOES mean less investment in product and services, It's interesting the performance of many companies is almost the inverse of executive compensation, The CEO of Toyota (#1 automaker by revenue in the world) gets 900 Thousand TOTAL,

CEO of GM untold millions for lackluster performance and dogs like the Volt where they lose $8,000 every car sold.
This is a failure of the BoD, imho. Which, largely, is what people are really complaining about. That there is a glass ceiling, a "good ol boy" network, if you will, of people who "take care of their own" vs asking, what is reasonable compensation.

Combine this with a general ignorance of what management actually DOES and you end up with the seeds of discontent.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And, at the risk of getting somewhat political, where all that starts is allowing the private sector to offload communal responsibility onto the public sector.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not that bad, imho. But, yes...rural areas are concerned about state and federal encroachment. But, that dynamic has always been the case.

I've lived in the country ALL my life, And yes always lots of jawboning about the Gummint and how it's putting it's nose where it does not belong etc, etc, ad nauseum, But that's ALL it was, Now people are actively preparing for war and that's new and scary.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is a failure of the BoD, imho. Which, largely, is what people are really complaining about. That there is a glass ceiling, a "good ol boy" network, if you will, of people who "take care of their own" vs asking, what is reasonable compensation.

Combine this with a general ignorance of what management actually DOES and you end up with the seeds of discontent.

The problem is recently (80's) we allowed people to sit on multiple BoD's and that created the 'old boy network' if you vote for MY pay package, I'll vote for yours. The rest unfortunately is history.

We need to go back to the days of 1 person 1 board, and give shareholders a LEGAL veto on executive compensation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom