Any water park additions planned?

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
As we all know, 2017 is not only a big year for the mouse with Avatar, but Universal has several attractions in the works, the biggest of which is their new Water Park - Volcano Bay. With this new park that will have almost 30 years on Typhoon Lagoon (28 to be exact), and just over 20 on Blizzard Beach (22), it is sure to be more modern and updated to the standards of what water park amenities should be expected in this day and age.

So with that said, for all of the insiders out there, is Disney worried IN ANY WAY never mind enough to actually decided it's time to re-examine the two existing parks. Both hold up extremely well, but a lot could also be done too. I would love some new slides or attractions at either water park, maybe updated infrastructure so we don't always need to carry tubes up the stairs, etc. Is any talk going on regarding this?

I personally don't even think it's on their radar as Wet n' Wild is closing, so all that's doing is shifting attendance, creating a water park that feels like it's part of the rest and opening up the WnW land for future hotels, but again, i'd love for it to be a pleasant surprise.

Biff215

As you said, it's likely not a huge concern right now but it's an interesting topic. Disney has made few major investments/additions after building the two parks. I believe they both hold up well against their competition, and of course they have the advantage of being a quick bus ride away for guests.

I have no insider information, but I don't see anything major coming anytime soon, especially with all of the money that needs to be spent elsewhere. The current parks seem to fill the demand nicely for Disney, but I would love to see something new added to each to give us all new reasons to visit.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Water park slides are incredibly cheap to add and install. The problem becomes WDI would have to theme it to fit the park and that's where the expense comes in. Still, I think both parks could receive an expansion/tidy up for fairly cheap.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
In 2014, Typhoon Lagoon pulled in 2.2 million guests and Blizzard Beach pulled in 2.0 million guests (good enough to be the top two US water parks) all with only one new slide added between the two parks in the combined fifty years since they opened. By comparison, Aquatica, which opened relatively recently and has much more "modern" slides pulled in only 1.6 million. The water parks bring in a nice chunk of change with minimal investment. I'd be curious to see what sort of impact the addition of Crush and Gusher had on Typhoon Lagoon.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
In 2014, Typhoon Lagoon pulled in 2.2 million guests and Blizzard Beach pulled in 2.0 million guests (good enough to be the top two US water parks) all with only one new slide added between the two parks in the combined fifty years since they opened. By comparison, Aquatica, which opened relatively recently and has much more "modern" slides pulled in only 1.6 million. The water parks bring in a nice chunk of change with minimal investment. I'd be curious to see what sort of impact the addition of Crush and Gusher had on Typhoon Lagoon.
I know what number the water parks get, which is why you see them get paid so little attention. It'd just be nice for even infrastructure upgrades to change some of the systems out so that some of the slides have the newer systems that elevate the tubes to the top - no carrying involved. A lot of lazy rivers are much more involved too as they tend too connect in with slides in more modern parks, but there's not much that can be done about that or that is worth the expense.

Bairstow

I haven't read a single rumor about either of Disney's waterparks being expanded.
That said, I've love to see a third one added, especially if they were to revive the "River Country" name and concept.

cheezbat

This is something I've hoped for for years. The last new attraction was Crush N Gusher...over TEN YEARS AGO. That's disgusting. Especially knowing just how many guests those parks pull, and how expensive they are to get into. They can afford expansions. They could add ten slides to each park and it would hardly be a drop in the pan for Disney. I hate how crowded the parks get. They close often durning the summer months. They could use some new attractions to add capacity.

Give us a tornado or bowl style slide and surfing simulator at Typhoon. How about a Watercoaster at Blizzard too?

I'm personally hoping Universal's Waterpark kicks the living crap out of Disney's two when it opens.

Ronald Wallace

The current parks seem to fill the demand nicely for Disney
8ce4.jpg

Jon81uk

I'm not entirely sure, but I'd imagine that most of Typhoon Lagoons expansion pads have been taken up by the new roads being built for Disney Springs

Probably not, there would still be some space next to crush'n'gusher.

The bigger issue is that both Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach have most of the slides built into the "mountain" structures. Additions such as Crush'n'Gusher therefore don't look as nice as the original mountain slides. This was also the issue with Wet'n'Wild, the steel structures just look ugly.

matt9112

This is something I've hoped for for years. The last new attraction was Crush N Gusher...over TEN YEARS AGO. That's disgusting. Especially knowing just how many guests those parks pull, and how expensive they are to get into. They can afford expansions. They could add ten slides to each park and it would hardly be a drop in the pan for Disney. I hate how crowded the parks get. They close often durning the summer months. They could use some new attractions to add capacity.

Give us a tornado or bowl style slide and surfing simulator at Typhoon. How about a Watercoaster at Blizzard too?

I'm personally hoping Universal's Waterpark kicks the living crap out of Disney's two when it opens.

Blue ocean....why on earth would they spend a dime? Guests pack into them like rabbid fans.

Last edited:

WDWLover#1

I think the two water parks also fill the demand because they're part of holiday packages. People think they need to get their money's worth so they go.
I think universals are gonna be way better than Disney's water park offering. And I hope so as Disney will get more competition and kicks up its backside which in turn is better for us.
Would we have gotten a Hollywood studios overhaul if universals offering wasnt as amazing as it is? Universal studios is now better than Hollywood studios. Disney knows it and is finally gonna commit to plugging money in because sooner than later universal is gonna get better and better.

matt9112

I think the two water parks also fill the demand because they're part of holiday packages. People think they need to get their money's worth so they go.
I think universals are gonna be way better than Disney's water park offering. And I hope so as Disney will get more competition and kicks up its backside which in turn is better for us.
Would we have gotten a Hollywood studios overhaul if universals offering wasnt as amazing as it is? Universal studios is now better than Hollywood studios. Disney knows it and is finally gonna commit to plugging money in because sooner than later universal is gonna get better and better.

Haven't the insiders here said disney doesn't see Comcast as a threat anD these plans are not some (magical response?) disney still subscribes to blue ocean theory. You will keep coming no matter how Crappy the parks may be. Universal on the other hand has to EARN it's attendance numbers.

Although I'm glad disney os spending cash I don't think there overall business model will change.

djkidkaz

I would expect that Disney will revive River Country in some form when they get the approval to do the Fort Wilderness DVC expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom