Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

dreamscometrue

Completely agree! I think the vibe of the entire area would be diminished if you couldn't seen the cars speeding around. Maybe if they could make it a tunnel with two way mirrors so the people outside could still see the cars, but those on the ride would still be able to have a dark tunnel with some lights along the way?

Or you could have a gigantic HD screen hanging from the scaffolding with live video feed of people riding through the different show scenes. That way, fans of video screens and scaffolding can have both. :D

jt04

Not sure what to think. I might be hoping against hope they have left the scaffolding up to shade the construction area. That makes a bit of sense as it could be removed in a day or two just before reopening.

If the scaffolding stays I would have to consider this reimagining at least a partial failure because I don't see any way they can make it aesthetically pleasing. Step up TDO. Now is the time to prove what many say around here is wrong.

Tom

Beta Return
Not sure what to think. I might be hoping against hope they have left the scaffolding up to shade the construction area. That makes a bit of sense as it could be removed in a day or two just before reopening.

If the scaffolding stays I would have to consider this reimagining at least a partial failure because I don't see any way they can make it aesthetically pleasing. Step up TDO. Now is the time to prove what many say around here is wrong.

Maybe they're printing some giant graphics on canvas to install on the front of the scaffolding. It DOES provide a nice shade structure, should the queue actually stretch outside again.

I guess I'm not as offended by the truss system as others. :confused:

DisneyWall-E

Maybe they're printing some giant graphics on canvas to install on the front of the scaffolding. It DOES provide a nice shade structure, should the queue actually stretch outside again.

me either. It just never botherd me. I dont know why. I say let it stay, it does provide great shade.

aladdin2007

I too hope that scrap junk metal comes down, a few months ago it was rumored it would be. Maybe they just havent gotten to it yet and now that work is starting to move outside it will be. But since it is still up Im starting to wonder. At least this refurb is not in TDO's hands, so far, compared to SSE.

awhit066

I don't hate the scaffolding, but I do think it would be great to see this opportunity to design a building facade that is futuristic looking. It takes it down a notch if we end up with an amazing ride on the inside (fingers crossed) but have it hidden in a boring building.

HMF

How the heck is it that if the scaffolding is removed, TDO will look good when all the money is coming from Chevrolet?

Gregoryp73

Good post.

I wouldn't have pegged them for over-designing the outdoor portion originally, unless perhaps they thought they might need to enclose it for weather reasons if rain closed the ride too often. There IS that slim chance.

But in addition to the fluid dynamics and ventilation (for climate control), they would need a pressure relief system, due to the quickly displaced air from the movement of the car. Similar to the vents in the top of elevator shafts, which keep the doors from blowing out.

But the time frame for this refurb is not conducive to such an addition. They would have started this work already.

I know several on this board talked about this (myself included) back when this thread opened and on other threads...

Personally still think a tunnel mounted to the ground (not the track) could have been pre-fabbed and can be constructed rather easily in the alotted amount of time...It doesn't have touch the existing structure, and that first dip into darkness would plus the ride 10 fold.
I would envision a tunnel just on the straightaways, but not on the turns. This would allow another tunnel run as the car makes it's way to the front banking turn...

Following this they should close in the back hairpin with walls to help keep the backstage hidden. Such walls could be enhanced with LED or color changing lighting that would provide a great experience it night.

Also I would believe they could do all this without covering the front section (the loud exciting run that makes people in line giddy).

I would think that this would be a very cost effective way to plus the ride, and enhance the magic of the park by not driving over an employee parking lot.

dreamscometrue

Nor am I. I just never thought it unsightly as it sort of fit with the overall industrial feel of the attraction. Plus, it provided shade. Since the overlay is supposed to have a video game/TRON feel, I don't know how it will be justified any longer.

TestTrack Dummy

Maybe they're keeping the scaffolding to use as shade until the outside construction is done? I mean If i was working outside in the Florida heat I would definitely make sure that's the last thing to go down.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think regardless of plans for the canopy, retaining it this long helps hide the fact it isn't too hard to see inside at the moment...

Jim Handy

I think on this project, it is important to note that Disney has very little to do with it. WDI is designing parts of it, but with guidance from GM. GM is also footing the bill.

Clamman73

It's fun to be free
Of the old scaffolding
It can go anywhere
Cause we don't care
See all the old building there is to see
It's fun to be free

Cosmic Commando

Completely agree! I think the vibe of the entire area would be diminished if you couldn't seen the cars speeding around. Maybe if they could make it a tunnel with two way mirrors so the people outside could still see the cars, but those on the ride would still be able to have a dark tunnel with some lights along the way?
You're right, but if it improved the ride itself, I would accept not being able to see the cars from outside. There are still other things they could do to liven up the entrance area. If the outdoor track was enclosed, you could manipulate things so it feels like you're going even faster than you do now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom