Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

bethymouse

very true

I think the amount of money that goes into a disney vacation is many o' reason for them to post an accurate timetable of refurbishments. While I could show up at the local six flags and expect a ride to be down with no notice, I would not be distraught. The tickets are usually discounted and I don't stay on property, so it's not a "plan a year in advance" type of event.

That's true.:)

Captain Neo

I agree that people get a little bit too upset...back when the HM went down for refurb (which is my favorite ride by the way) I didn't have a clue until I got to the park...While it did put a damper on my trip I still found a way to have fun. If I would have known, I would have most likely scheduled to go when it was running though (it would have been like a four month wait).

And If someone is going to spend 8K on a trip for a full family, I don't think "entitlement" is the right word to use. If you spend a significant amount of coin on a trip you should "expect" a certain level of communication.

Do I want them to do the refurb right? Yep. Do I want them to do more refurbs? Yep. Do I want them to help me have the best experience I possibly can for my money...by communicating what i'm getting for my money? Absolutely. I don't think communicating ride downtime has any bearing on the quality or frequency of refurbs...

I agree that Disney should make an effort to communicate better but then again if they do they get flooded with letters and bad press because people don't understand that rides must have downtimes.

Also, folks spend 8k to go on vacation to WDW and Florida. Not to see 1 or 2 particular attractions. For example I really love BTMRR but if it's closed when I come down I won't really be upset at all because there is plenty of other content to check out (particularly the newer additions like Star Tours and Fantasyland) and i'll be happy that my favorite attraction is getting TLC so that it will be in top shape the next time I visit.

Gregoryp73

I agree that Disney should make an effort to communicate better but then again if they do they get flooded with letters and bad press because people don't understand that rides must have downtimes.

Also, folks spend 8k to go on vacation to WDW and Florida. Not to see 1 or 2 particular attractions. For example I really love BTMRR but if it's closed when I come down I won't really be upset at all because there is plenty of other content to check out (particularly the newer additions like Star Tours and Fantasyland) and i'll be happy that my favorite attraction is getting TLC so that it will be in top shape the next time I visit.

Absolutely...and I don't understand bad press...I mean, any significant upgrade to the park should be applauded. I know that people are chomping at the bit hoping for the FLE to be done asap, but when it comes down to it, they have every day planned out. Done too early and you know either budget, or corners were cut....or both.

I would love to see some artists renditions of what we could expect from TT 2.0 right about now.

janoimagine

Great post.

I've been thinking the same thing. If this refurb is as good as janoimagine says and it's reviews are stellar, things might really have to change.

I hope it does change things, because in this case I saw both budgets the initial WDI proposed budget and the revised budget using GM assetts and their was a substantial difference to the bottom line, and I think we are getting a better product as a result.

That being said this is a unique situation in that GM is a car manufacturer and Test Track is a ride about just that, so it stands to reason that a company with GM's resources and supplier base can create things for this type of attraction because they have all the existing infastructure, and they build prototypes all the time, and they could do it for much less than anybody else.

Captain Neo

I hope it does change things, because in this case I saw both budgets the initial WDI proposed budget and the revised budget using GM assetts and their was a substantial difference to the bottom line, and I think we are getting a better product as a result.

That being said this is a unique situation in that GM is a car manufacturer and Test Track is a ride about just that, so it stands to reason that a company with GM's resources and supplier base can create things for this type of attraction because they have all the existing infastructure, and they build prototypes all the time, and they could do it for much less than anybody else.

I just don't get how GM is going to build better show scenes than WDI

mightynine

I think it's less about the show scene, and more about who's building the parts that will be used in said scenes. And there's been plenty of message board fodder about WDI's prices being way more than needed.

Atomicmickey

Funny--I remember back in the World of Motion days. There was a display of a car door opening and closing. A CM told me the story that GM said "we can build that", but their rig didn't work. Sure, he said, they open and close doors thousands of times in testing at their facility.

But this rig needed to open and close hundreds of times a day. For years and years. According to him, Disney really knew how to engineer something like that!

Of course this was in the 80's right after Epcot opened. And yup, they really did something there, then. It's entirely possible they can't, or won't, anymore.

ps: Yeah, I know. CM story. Provided for entertainment value, only. No wagering, please.:lol:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Orlando Attractions Magazine has posted two videos of the "Test Track All Stars" a capella group. Their song list appears to be all car-related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5AjWmw8Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfxDYKfcpc

Wow. Just wow. That's horrendous.

Do they really think people are going to believe that the "IT guy" and "Quality Control Engineer" decided to come outside and sing on their break?

The entire show is so poorly thought out and thrown together. It looks like sort of thing the neighborhood kids put together and perform in someone's garage.

NoChesterHester

This is something that has always made me nervous for WDI's future. We here so often that WDI has no clue, no desire, and/or no ability to work inside the confines of a budget. I have hear tales of $500 a gallon Andorian Crimson paint made with the tears of one finned penguins over a $30 a gallon paint of the same color from Home Depot. You have to think that if this keeps up that WDI will cease to be in the foreseeable future.

Why does it make you nervous? Times and things change. WDI may benefit in the long run by being leaner.

menamechris

Wow. Just wow. That's horrendous.

Do they really think people are going to believe that the "IT guy" and "Quality Control Engineer" decided to come outside and sing on their break?

The entire show is so poorly thought out and thrown together. It looks like sort of thing the neighborhood kids put together and perform in someone's garage.

LOL - so true. I think I would feel highly uncomfortable standing there and watching it. The kind of situation where you make a serious effort to smile a lot, so they can't tell you really feel embarassed for them...

TP2000

In 1964 General Motors built an entire custom-built Omnimover style ride for the New York World's Fair that had massive and impressive show scenes. It was called Futurama II, and Disney didn't have anything to do with it. You can see a video of Futurama II here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5aK0H05jk

Disney isn't the only one on the planet who can make plywood sets and pretend show scenes. Heck, ever been to a big-city Auto Show in LA or New York? The big car companies put on shows and exhibits that rival Epcot pavilions. Disney's Imagineers charge a lot more and may have more fawning fans on the Internet and more in-house coffee table books written about them for said fawning fans, but they aren't the only talented artists on the planet.

TP2000

That's the kind of entertainment I can't watch for more than a minute before I start to feel embarrassed for the performers.

I admit, I only watched the first couple of minutes. Maybe it gets better later in the video?

It doesn't get better, it gets worse. At the end of their little set at the 6:35 mark of the YouTube video the lead guy actually says...

"We hope that you all had a great time, and if you did don't forget to tell Guest Relations about how wonderful of a time you had with the Test Track All-Stars! Have a Magical Disney Day, take care everybody, buh-bye! [group breaks into song as they walk through the crowd] See the USA in your Chevrolet, America is asking you to call! Drive your Chevrolet through the USA, America's the greatest land of all!..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5AjWmw8Z8

I love that Chevrolet jingle, but the plea at the end to stop by Guest Relations to leave positive comments was absolutely disgusting.

What a tacky, tacky, tacky way to drum up support on the first day of their little show. I would think that would even be something worthy of disciplinary action by management. Are CM's allowed to encourage park customers at large to leave compliments for them at Guest Relations? Short of passing a hat around for spare change, it just seems like a really smarmy and tacky way for Disney CM's to say goodbye to their "guests". :hurl:

Gregoryp73

LOL - so true. I think I would feel highly uncomfortable standing there and watching it. The kind of situation where you make a serious effort to smile a lot, so they can't tell you really feel embarassed for them...

It's about as painful as watching the karaoke contests they have on T.V. nowadays...eeesh.

I applaud their talent, and glad that someone is employing college choir majors....but someone thought this theme was a good idea? At least the guys who bang on trash cans in TL look like they are having fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why does it make you nervous? Times and things change. WDI may benefit in the long run by being leaner.
What makes me nervous is WDI has know that they have needed to run leaner for quite some time, decades in fact, yet it seems that nothing has changed. If this TT redo comes of great and under budget I have a feeling attraction sponsors will not longer want to use them and they will slowly fade into the background and cease to exist. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing at this point. Charging insane prices because you are the best and worth it is one thing. Charging insane prices for something several other companies are doing as good or better for less is cutting your own throat.

ToTBellHop

What makes me nervous is WDI has know that they have needed to run leaner for quite some time, decades in fact, yet it seems that nothing has changed. If this TT redo comes of great and under budget I have a feeling attraction sponsors will not longer want to use them and they will slowly fade into the background and cease to exist. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing at this point. Charging insane prices because you are the best and worth it is one thing. Charging insane prices for something several other companies are doing as good or better for less is cutting your own throat.
Exactly. As an example, take all of the additions Universal made for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and have WDI build them at WDW. I bet it would cost SIGNIFICANTLY more. And it's unfortunate. We'll see how Radiator Springs Racers is. I'm sure it'll be a great ride, but will it be worth $400,000,000?

sanctumsolitude

I agree completely. For a long time, fans have thought that WDI was the best and no one else came close. At one point, this might have been true. Now with Harry Potter (and other attractions before it at IOA like Spiderman), fans are starting to see that WDI aren't the only ones capable of doing what they do. The theme park industry has known this for a long time. WDI has only one advantage over the independent players - the backing of the industry's largest customer. Otherwise, they are selling the same product for a whole lot more. The independent firms out there that are used by Universal, Legoland, etc. are all capable of producing to WDI's level (and even beyond it) for a lot less. And it is trully a comparable product - a lot of the people working at these firms worked for WDI at some point (usually very early) in their careers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom