Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

legitimate concerns, but I believe that its been established that the actual "track" is not changing and you will still experience the high speed loop outside.

I believe the current theory is that the elements you are designing wont physically impact the look and or track you take during the ride. The design your own vehicle aspect will come into play more in the post-show after the ride than in the actual ride.

Insiders seem to have hint heavily through out the thread very little of the ride is changing except a few thematic elements and maybe a show scene or two. Most work will be done updating the queue and post show area. The two areas who need it most IMHO.

That makes a lot more sense for the time period it'll be closed. And totally agreed that it's really the areas that need the most work. Perhaps we'll finally get some "future" concepts back to the post-show? Like anything, this has the potential to be really great or another "what were they thinking?"

The Sentinel had an article on it today (apologies if already posted) that described some of the changes:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...ot-test-track-closes-20120410,0,6501871.story

Well, at least they've stated it's still an actual ride and not a simulator. But they're being incredibly vague, still. Perhaps they're not 100% confident in what they plan to do to be 100% successful, so rather than set specific expectations, we just tell the public very vague details so that whatever the outcome is will result in 100% satisfaction no matter what.

*think positive thoughts*

G00fyDad

That's exactly how I imagine it. The 2 times I've been to Disney Quest, I've done Cyber Space Mountain as soon as the attraction opens to avoid any lines. It gets really backed up later on. There are what, 6 load stations at TT currently? Or is it 4? Either way, they can only have (say) 6 families or groups of 6 design their "sim car" at one time ... which leads to another issue. If they're still using the physical cars, how do you get mixed parties to agree on the same "track"? What about single riders? Will TT lose the single riders option? The more I think about it, and the more I try to apply logic through the marriage of current "design your own ride" attractions and Test Track as it is now, the more confused I become as to how they plan to pull this all off. What if ... they get rid of the track itself. The whole interior of TT becomes a giant Sum of All Thrills ... with the current cars, renamed "Sim Cars", facing screens to take you on your chosen track? Done this way, they could potentially have dozens of stations to help increase capacity. Of course, of all this is just me rambling as I try to make sense of how exactly they're going to do what they currently promise they're doing. I hope I'm completely wrong, because interacting with screens is a future I don't want to see in Future World any more than what already exists.

I think that you may have misunderstood me. I think that the ride itself will largely remain the same (with a few slight "GM" modifications) but with the new car design and such. I was referring to the GM Test Lab, after you exit the ride, as being the spot they will likely put the "design your own sim car" portion. ;)

I think that you may have misunderstood me. I think that the ride itself will largely remain the same (with a few slight "GM" modifications) but with the new car design and such. I was referring to the GM Test Lab, after you exit the ride, as being the spot they will likely put the "design your own sim car" portion. ;)

No problem! Folks were quick to clarify. It makes me wonder why Disney won't just come out and say, "new pre and post show elements" ... I can already predict at least one small handful of guests who will complain to CMs about the ride being the same. One hope I'd have is for the show building to be filled with more elements. This is just me daydreaming, but it'd be awesome if they could take the incredible AA experience that was World of Motion and blend it with the thrills and technology of Test Track. Then you could be zooming around different sets with AA's around you in different driving environments. The last scene just before going outside would remain the same. They could add scientist AA's or something.

That'd be my ideal TT.

G00fyDad

No problem! Folks were quick to clarify. It makes me wonder why Disney won't just come out and say, "new pre and post show elements" ... I can already predict at least one small handful of guests who will complain to CMs about the ride being the same. One hope I'd have is for the show building to be filled with more elements. This is just me daydreaming, but it'd be awesome if they could take the incredible AA experience that was World of Motion and blend it with the thrills and technology of Test Track. Then you could be zooming around different sets with AA's around you in different driving environments. The last scene just before going outside would remain the same. They could add scientist AA's or something.

That'd be my ideal TT.

Exactly mine too. :)

Lee

Adventurer

The ride path (as far as I know) will remain largely the same.
Several of he show scenes will be entirely new, for example the Tron-ish segment.
Pre and post shows will be massively overhauled.

disney fan 13

Several of he show scenes will be entirely new, for example the Tron-ish segment.

Will the ride retain the ''vehicle test'' slant like bumps, brakes, heat/cold etc?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

How long do you believe TT will be down for?

DisneyWall-E

Unclear on the exact elements, but you will still be testing a new prototype "sim" car.

I expect them to bust @ss to get it open no later than 10/1.

I hope you are right about that. My trip ends on 10/6. So I hope to ride it before I have to go.

menamechris

Well, at least they've stated it's still an actual ride and not a simulator. But they're being incredibly vague, still. Perhaps they're not 100% confident in what they plan to do to be 100% successful, so rather than set specific expectations, we just tell the public very vague details so that whatever the outcome is will result in 100% satisfaction no matter what.

*think positive thoughts*

Yeah. I think SM refurb. At the end of the day, by not saying anything real detailed or extensive, they are reserving the right to scrap any plans they have - and simply give the place a paint job and a new sound system.

disnyfan89

Unclear on the exact elements, but you will still be testing a new prototype "sim" car.

I expect them to bust @ss to get it open no later than 10/1.
Having a "Brand New" TT to parade out for the 30th would be a really big win for TDO.

Yeah. I think SM refurb. At the end of the day, by not saying anything real detailed or extensive, they are reserving the right to scrap any plans they have - and simply give the place a paint job and a new sound system.

The SM refurb definitely left me confused. So ... it's darker. That's what it was down for most of a year for? And different scenes in the post-show area. But they didn't promise anything specific, so on what grounds do I have to complain? Makes me wonder about BTMM.

Having a "Brand New" TT to parade out for the 30th would be a really big win for TDO.

That would be nice. Even nicer would be an announcement for a refurbed Future World. World Showcase is getting a lot of work that just seems like efforts to continuously plus profits versus actual attractions. Oh wait, I'm thinking positively. A worthy and logical TT update FTW! :sohappy:

Captain Chaos

Guess who's back, back again
Venger's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back, guess who's back,
guess who's back, guess who's back,
guess who's back, guess who's back,
guess who's back...

Sorry, broke into Eminem mode...

menamechris

You know most rational people save criticism for after they see something. If you have to preemptively criticize something, maybe you need to find a more fulfilling hobby?

I also like the refurbed Space Mountain. However, most people here want to be dissapointed, so they create self fulfilling prophecies where they have to imagine things that never happened and then compare what did happen against those non-existent things. I don't need to imagine a bajillion dollar Space Mountain refurb. I'm fine with the ride being simple and being what it's supposed to be.

Welcome to the forum. You have much to learn, young Jedi... Do you have a dealer for all that pixie dust?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't need to imagine a bajillion dollar Space Mountain refurb. I'm fine with the ride being simple and being what it's supposed to be.
But it wasn't supposed to be simple. It was meant to be better than Anaheims. That's the issue.

Test Tracks update should be for the better. There's even a risk we may get a musical transportation score for the first time since 1997.

misterID

But it wasn't supposed to be simple. It was meant to be better than Anaheims. That's the issue.

Test Tracks update should be for the better. There's even a risk we may get a musical transportation score for the first time since 1997.

Martin, you're starting to get me excited about this refurb again... Not as high as I was with the WOM elements I thought were coming into the ride, but still... Possibly starting out in the past... Tronish elements... Musical score...

Gregoryp73

Unfortunately, If we go by description on what's out there....(i.e. pre and post show redo, scene refresh) TT refurb sounds a lot like what we got with SM.

celluloid

Unfortunately, If we go by description on what's out there....(i.e. pre and post show redo, scene refresh) TT refurb sounds a lot like what we got with SM.

This I whole heartedly agree and what I am setting my hopes on as to not be overly disappointed.

With all the complexity of the ride vehicles, the complexity of the ride control systems and the overall ride itself...five to six months does not sound like much of a reimagining so much as a software upgrade and some change in direction/plussing/exchanging some theming.

-New Software
-New queue
-New Post Show
-Ride enhancements

I think some people have their hopes way too high on this one as if the ride will be completely different when it reopens.

Let's look at Star Tours. It closed for ten months and most of the changes were film media based. The only big deals of physical nature were the replacing of Rex and C-3PO and programming the movements of the ride and the animatronics.

With a ride as physical in set nature as Test Track, what can really be done in five-six months to where the queue, ride and post show can all get some awesome attention? I hate to be a doom and gloomer but being realistic with past experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom