Any rumors about AK expansion?

djkidkaz

Original Poster
I was just thinking about this yesterday, but wasn't the last expansion at AK Everest in 2006? Thats 5 years ago, and now you add in if they announced something today, it would still take almost 3 years to build to completion. I can't believe we haven't heard of any expansion of the park in the form of rides or animal exhibits or anything! What is the longest time that any of the WDW parks has gone without a new ride or expansion? Anyone know?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are always rumors but credible ones....not so much. From what I understand there were credible rumors for an expansion that was suppose to break ground a couple of years ago but the economy taking a dive shelved the proposal.

RSoxNo1

While I'm not optimistic, I really hope that an announcement regarding the Animal Kingdom is made within a year.

WASaMATTR

I'm going to say it but it doesn't mean that I believe that it will be added = Beastly Kingdom.

However, if you look at a satellite view of AK, you will see that there is a place for an addition between Rafiki's Planet Watch and Maharajah Jungle Trek. :shrug:

boufa

The most recent rumor that has been out there is an Australia area/land. I also understand that like it or not, Dinoland has a commitment from Disney, it aint goin no where.

IMO AK and DHS need a California Adventure like redo. They are incomplete parks. Too much space taken up by "temporary" stuff, and too much space taken up by unused/under used stuff. Camp Minnie Mickey was a filler until it could be completed... the backlot tour, etc at DHS.

AK however "feels" like it is next. DHS has gotten a lot of things in the last few years, Epcot got worked on a while back (Mission space, nemo, soarin, etc) MK is getting the FLE. Sure AK got Everest, but it is time for several more things.

The interesting thing about AK is it is fairly expensive to run. I would love to see the Australia thing, but I would also love to see a aquatic area also. Could you imagine just how expensive it would be to build and maintain an aquatic land.

CaptainShortty

The most credible rumor I've heard (which is just a rumor of course) is that Camp Minnie-Mickey will be refurbished and a few new rides will be added. Of course that's just a rumor but I'd love to see it happen one day. CMM needs a serious overhaul in my opinion.

MotherOfBirds

One of these threads always pops up now and again. Guess we're overdue :D

Most people think BK (as it was originally conceived) is long dead. IoA, Potterland, and FLE all sorta crowded it out of the "European Fantasy" niche. There has been all kinds of speculation about Journey to the Center of the Earth and I believe there was a false-alarm announcement about an Australia expansion within the last year or so.

I think it would make the most sense to base lands on continents and then have an attraction that is based on a fantasy element of that region, like what EE is the Asia. With all Disney has on its plate right now, with FLE, Shanghai, the Hong Kong expansion, new projects at DLP, I don't think we'll be seeing any proposals for AK until 2014.

H2Opolo15

With the amount of money Disney is dropping on FLE and other various smaller project as well as AoA resort, don't count on any more major projects any time soon. Don't take my word for it tho

akritas

Most people think BK (as it was originally conceived) is long dead. IoA, Potterland, and FLE all sorta crowded it out of the "European Fantasy" niche. There has been all kinds of speculation about Journey to the Center of the Earth and I believe there was a false-alarm announcement about an Australia expansion within the last year or so.

I think it would make the most sense to base lands on continents and then have an attraction that is based on a fantasy element of that region, like what EE is the Asia. With all Disney has on its plate right now, with FLE, Shanghai, the Hong Kong expansion, new projects at DLP, I don't think we'll be seeing any proposals for AK until 2014.

I think you're completely right on the first point. The medieval fantasy ship has sailed. The Celtic route that they were going to go with BK (evident from the concept art and the built CMM bridge structure) just became to close for comfort to the WB vision of HP used @ WWoHP.

A Vernes-themed land would be an amazing addition. With the loss of the Dreamcatcher, Orlando is need of some Discovery Bay inspired steampunk!

And I hope you are completely wrong on 2014 :)

H2Opolo15

He was just under maintenance a few months ago. Sooooo...ya.

JOKE..... :sohappy:

Back on track.. I don't see an expansion any time soon. The park needs fixed up with that it has first before it should expand... Then pay attention to the other parks. Quality over quantity...

Aurora&Phillip

Why expand? Increase quality on such things as... Dinoland? :lookaroun or get rid of it... Just my opinion...

I could not agree more! The park itself is massive, there is absolutely no need to expand (size wise). In my opinion, the entire structure of the park needs to be reconfigured. Although the landscape is beautiful, it's just too much, there is nothing exciting about the park! I only go there for the safari and that is really all. If push came to shove, I could do without the park entirely, but that is just my opinion.

cheezbat

I could not agree more! The park itself is massive, there is absolutely no need to expand (size wise). In my opinion, the entire structure of the park needs to be reconfigured. Although the landscape is beautiful, it's just too much, there is nothing exciting about the park! I only go there for the safari and that is really all. If push came to shove, I could do without the park entirely, but that is just my opinion.

The past few years I've just abandoned going there. I've been boycotting the place since they haven't added anything and they haven't fixed that darn Yeti. Something's gotta be done soon. The place is nowhere near worthy of even being mentioned in the same breath as the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Heck, I'd probably pick Blizzard Beach over Animal Kingdom right now! :ROFLOL:

Seriously, I know it's expensive to do, but Disney is raking in the dough from its guests...so additional attractions and rides should be a top priority on their list for this park above any other getting anything after the FLE.

Everest?

I'm thinking AK needs a new E ticket attraction before they consider closing Everest to repair the Yeti. Unfortunately, I don't see that coming any time soon.

RSoxNo1

I'm thinking AK needs a new E ticket attraction before they consider closing Everest to repair the Yeti. Unfortunately, I don't see that coming any time soon.

The park needs a family (no height requirement) D/E-Ticket that can drive attendance as part of a larger expansion that includes multiple C ticket rides as well.

Failing that there are other options to absorb the potential attendance loss due to Everest down time. The infrastructure is in place to bring back the Discovery River Boats. If money was actually spent on this attraction, it can be a solid B/C ticket that the park desperately needs. Make it a round trip that starts at the Discovery Island location, any effects that appear in the first part of the ride would have to also be logical as something seen in Asia, but beyond that you can hide many of the special effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom