Any regrets? Why shouldn't I buy in?

yaksplat

Original Poster
I'm thinking about diving into the DVC at the Polynesian. I just stayed in a deluxe studio and absolutely loved it. Family of 5 and we go every year.

Tell me why I shouldn't.

I want to hear the negatives. Do you have any regrets after buying in?

lostpro9het

I'm thinking about diving into the DVC at the Polynesian. I just stayed in a deluxe studio and absolutely loved it. Family of 5 and we go every year.

Tell me why I shouldn't.

I want to hear the negatives. Do you have any regrets after buying in?

Disclaimer: We historically go at least twice a year to the bubble so factor that into my opinion below.
History: Our original purchase was a moderate resale contract at AKL Jambo followed by a small resale contract at AKL Kidani with the same use year as our first contract and finally a small direct contract purchase at the POLY

Negatives:
The popularity of renting points has really taken off lately requiring more competitive booking at some of the popular resorts at the 7-month mark. This means you may need to start booking your vacations sooner than you are accustom to.
The number of points required to book rooms at the newer resorts is a bit ridiculous, POLY included.

Regrets:
We didn't buy in sooner.

Phonedave

So far no regrets, aside from the fact that if I knew better back in 2008 or so when I bought, I would have bought resale.

It has been surprisingly easy to use our points (so much so that we added on last year, going from 160 to 210 - resale this time). this is despite the fact the we do not go to WDW as often as we used to.

We may go less now, but when we do go, we get bigger rooms. We still have no problems using up our points.

note2001

Negatives I've heard usually include Disney changing the resort up under the owners (Villas at Wilderness Lodge owners were not happy that the trees and special pool they had were ripped out and replaced with a more generic pool and cabins most cannot afford to rent). It is within Disney's right to do so. I own at AKV, and if Disney chose to remove all the animals and develop the savanna into more units, they could do so. I'd also be selling in a heartbeat, LOL.

What I don't like is more of an overall WDW issue than of a DVC one: overcrowding and upcharge events. The problem is growing and I am starting to envision a day where I will no longer head into a park again. I still love the resorts though. Best advice I've gotten is "buy where you want to stay". So, if Poly is what you love and always will, go for it.

nickys

Premium Member
One regret. We bought one contract, we should have bought two smaller ones. We could have then let each of our boys have one later on, and /or it would be easier to sell if neither want the contract once we can no longer go.

- Buy where you are happy to stay, especially if you are looking for studios.
- Make sure you can at least book between 7 and 11 months ahead.
- Buy enough points to get you a studio with a better view than the lowest points-wise - in case the lower “cost” one is unavailable (same goes for whichever villa size you’ll likely want).
- Do remember to factor annual dues into your calculations.

correcaminos

Something I just thought of... are you used to sharing one room for the 5 of you? PVB is the only location that has connecting studios at least. But just make sure that your 5 would be happy sharing the pull out sofa, 1 queen and the slightly smaller than twin pull down. Or consider connecting studios (2x the points though).

yaksplat

Original Poster
Something I just thought of... are you used to sharing one room for the 5 of you? PVB is the only location that has connecting studios at least. But just make sure that your 5 would be happy sharing the pull out sofa, 1 queen and the slightly smaller than twin pull down. Or consider connecting studios (2x the points though).
My kids are young so it no big deal for us to all be in one room. It worked out fine, especially with the extra shower.

ryguy

I was on the fence for the last 10 years or so and Finally pulled the trigger on a resale this summer. The key factors for me were the constant increase in room rates. Even with an annual pass or Florida resident discount the prices are getting insane. So I wanted to kinda lock in a price. Another key factor was that I can use my Disney Visa card rewards to pay my maintenance fees. I decided on resale contract because I live here in Florida and can get the same discounts by being a Florida resident. Lastly and probably the most important factor is that I had the cash to pay for it. I couldn't in good conscience buy the points using financing.

So far from what I can tell the biggest draw back is you do have to plan your trip far in advance if you want the more popular resorts. If your a last minute planner and by that I mean less than 5 months out than you should just buy the cheapest contract you can find. If your a planner than I would buy the resort you like the best. Then you know you have a fighting chance to always get that hotel for your travel dates.

Phone Dave and HelenaBear on this board seem to know their stuff. Doing my research they seemed to have good advice and I valued their thoughts and insight on various DVC topics. If you have a specific concern or question I would reach out to them.

Good luck with your decision!!

Nottamus

We bought in on a resale in 2016, and like stated above -buy where you want to stay!

We absolutely fell in love with AKL Jambo after a few visits on previous trips, and considered buying point at Saratoga because of price point.

Luckily we changed our minds and found a perfect comfortable contract that allows us twice a year at where we want to stay.

No regrets at all. Buying re-sale saved us lots of that green stuff.

Also, this coming spring we found a few nights available at Copper Creek, so at different times of the year, you can find the 7 month window with availability.

correcaminos

My kids are young so it no big deal for us to all be in one room. It worked out fine, especially with the extra shower.

Now it might work, but what about 5-10 years later? Don't get me wrong, I love PVB. I love the studios there. We own there, but we also get 2 connecting studios. I think we could maybe do one if we were doing it for maybe a night or so, but we found we like our space.

So my warning now is don't ever book a 1 or a 2 bedroom or you might be spoiled. Don't ask how I know ;)

yaksplat

Original Poster
Now it might work, but what about 5-10 years later? Don't get me wrong, I love PVB. I love the studios there. We own there, but we also get 2 connecting studios. I think we could maybe do one if we were doing it for maybe a night or so, but we found we like our space.

So my warning now is don't ever book a 1 or a 2 bedroom or you might be spoiled. Don't ask how I know ;)
I laid on the foldout just to see how it'd work for a normal sized human. I'm 6'1" and had no issue with it. The Queen foldout is good enough for two adults. So, in the future state, when the boys are all large, the only issue will be two sharing a bed. If they don't like it, they can stay home and I save on park tickets. :)

correcaminos

I laid on the foldout just to see how it'd work for a normal sized human. I'm 6'1" and had no issue with it. The Queen foldout is good enough for two adults. So, in the future state, when the boys are all large, the only issue will be two sharing a bed. If they don't like it, they can stay home and I save on park tickets. :)

I like the way you think LOL!!!!

There are twin blow up mattresses too if they really whine. That's why I love PVB it's so big. One could probably bring a mattress in the bathroom and fit even. Have I mentioned that I love it there? :D

Phonedave

I like the way you think LOL!!!!

There are twin blow up mattresses too if they really whine. That's why I love PVB it's so big. One could probably bring a mattress in the bathroom and fit even. Have I mentioned that I love it there? :D

We are 5 - and the kids are older 13, 17, and 19.

We normally stay in a 1BR unit. My wife and I get the bedroom, two kids (usually the younger two) get the pull out, and we bring along a twin air mattress and sheets. We have stayed all over using this set up. Most 1BR units allow 5, even if they only provide bedding for 4. Most of the time, we put the air mattress by the sliders in the living room, and during the day we leave it inflated but stand it in the corner, usually next to the TV unit.

Granted, this also works for us, because I don't pay for my first 4 checked bags. An air mattress and sheets does take up a good portion of a carry on.

-dave

Last edited:

Phonedave

No regrets. Been owners for almost 15 years too.

That said, if you are not planning on going regularly, this could be a bad buy.
If you have to finance (or at least a long period of time) it's likely not a good thing to buy.
If you cannot buy where you would at least be happy staying, it's not a good thing to buy.

I like that advice better than the "buy where you want to stay" advice.

I WANT to stay in VGF or a Poly Bungalow. However I am not going to pay those prices, and those yearly dues.

Do I WANT to stay in SSR - not really. I don't think SSR was ever my first choice - maybe during the time when the Adventurer's Club was closing, because then I could walk to it (that is a long walk after a number of Kungalooshes let me tell you). But I never disliked staying at SSR. I never ruined my vacation, and it was - to me - never worth the extra money I would have paid to own elsewhere.

Also, where I WANT to stay changes with almost each trip. To truly stay where I want to each time, I would need multiple contracts.

So look at all of the contracts, see what they cost, up front and their historic dues, and then make the decisions if owning at a certain resort is worth the extra money, both up front and every year. If it is, then go for it. If not, then maybe a less expensive resort is for you.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The only regret we have is not buying in sooner. :) We have multiple contracts so we can easily leave them to the kids. We're getting ready to add on again, and will probably go resale, even though all of our current points were bought direct (back when it was reasonable to do so). While we own at SSR, and love the resort, we stay all over the place. We only have CCV, BLT, and BCV left to stay at. We go there multiple times every year, and have not had a problem with changing at the 7 month mark to something else we want. Our next trip is to BWV, and Poly after that. We always book SSR at the 11 month window, and then change on the exact 7 month day. It helps that the DVC website now has the planning section where you can see availability for all resorts in advance.

For us, there really are no negatives. We prefer staying in 1 bedroom units now, even with only the 2 of us as we love the extra space and amenities. That is something to watch out for, as you get used to the extra space! We've stayed in everything from studios to grand villas (and a few stays in the Treehouses!) and have loved every resort.

Yes, the buy where you want to stay can hold true if you are looking only to travel during busy and peak times. We tend to travel during off peak times, so haven't had a problem. If you can only travel during busy times, and you have to stay at the Poly, then yes, you definitely need to buy your points there for that 11 month window.

The other thing to consider s do you really care about the extras that buying direct get you? Yes, you save on APs, but that cost alone may not make up for the additional cost of buying direct. If you aren't as concerned with the perks (which can and do change all the time), then buying resale makes more sense. Right now, Poly direct is $220/point, and I see resales for $150-155. $70/point is quite a lot when you're buying a few hundred points! You will probably never catch up with discounts for the extra money required for direct. YMMV depending on what you want from the membership.

The last thing - DVC is only a discount on future resort stays - nothing else should matter for your decision to buy in. We have saved over $25,000 over the last decade alone on our resort stays, which allow us to go more often, and stay in nicer rooms (1 bedrooms vs a regular hotel room). Good luck! We're here to answer any and all of your questions!

ToTBellHop

Negatives I've heard usually include Disney changing the resort up under the owners (Villas at Wilderness Lodge owners were not happy that the trees and special pool they had were ripped out and replaced with a more generic pool and cabins most cannot afford to rent). It is within Disney's right to do so. I own at AKV, and if Disney chose to remove all the animals and develop the savanna into more units, they could do so. I'd also be selling in a heartbeat, LOL.

What I don't like is more of an overall WDW issue than of a DVC one: overcrowding and upcharge events. The problem is growing and I am starting to envision a day where I will no longer head into a park again. I still love the resorts though. Best advice I've gotten is "buy where you want to stay". So, if Poly is what you love and always will, go for it.
Here's one Villas at Wilderness Lodge (now Boulder Ridge) owner who isn't upset at the changes there. I think they were mostly an upgrade. If only they could figure out what the hell they are doing with dining resort-wide.

nickys

Premium Member
Here's one Villas at Wilderness Lodge (now Boulder Ridge) owner who isn't upset at the changes there. I think they were mostly an upgrade. If only they could figure out what the hell they are doing with dining resort-wide.

Not an owner there, but I think the end result is OK. Once the newly planted trees start growing I think it’ll look pretty good. I’d love to stay in one of the cabins one day, but don’t know if I could swing it. I’d have to rent lots of extra points to do so.

Where owners seemed particularly upset was months of construction.

correcaminos

I agree, not an owner though, but not upset with the changes either. Seems more of an upgrade. They often upgrade pool and food and such all the time. Nothing ever stays stagnant which IMO is good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom