any one stayed off Disney property and saved?

tractorm3

my gf and I are planning our next trip and here is what we usually do, fly in, magical express, meal plan, at the carribean beach.

does any one save that much money by staying offsite? we dont want to have to rent a car.

just thinking we would loose the EMH, magical express, meal plan, and the buses.

Dinardo

I haven't stayed offsite since September 2006 and that was because it was a company paid trip. Although I couldn't tell you if it saved money, I will say that you won't get the "Disney Experience" if you stay off-site. There is something about staying in a Disney resort.

Upvote 0

SAV

The simple answer is YES. The only reason I am staying on site this time is I got a promo code which is giving us the kids park tickets and dining for "free". I was all set to book my off-site accomodations, but this deal is just about equal and my DW wanted to try dining once.

The big sticking point is going to be not wanting to rent a car. You can use Mears transport to get you from the Airport to the hotel and most of the hotels do offer transportation to and from the parks. It is much more limited than the Disney transportation. If you are willing to deal with what is provided, you will be fine.

I would suggest you do rent a car using the codes on Mousesavers.com or the Entertainment book, though. That will give you total freedom to either use their transportation or drive yourself. You can dine off-site and save more that way too. There will be the added daily parking fee, which you need to consider in the cost.

As for Off-site accomodations, there are many discounts available if you look. I usually use the Entertainment book discounts and get the rooms at 1/2 off the rack rate.

Just do the research and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh yeah...off site you don't get the "magic" that will be mentioned countless times in this thread. :rolleyes: I still don't know what that exactly means, but you won't get it.

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

The simple answer is yes, you will generally save money offsite. You might save a LOT of money, depending on how demanding you are on accommodations.

I agree with SAV that I have never quite gotten what makes staying on property so special, but many people disagree. It's an individual thing.

However, I've always had a car when I was offsite, which you say you won't — so I've never been in your exact situation.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We have stayed offsite before to save money, and it definitely can...

The accomodations are dramatically cheaper offsite than they would be at a Disney property. If you don't care that much about dining plan, emh etc. then it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

That being said, we didn't rent a car either. We had to rely on the shuttle buses from our hotel to the parks. We have stayed at the Caribe Royale and the Holiday Inn Sunspree. The shuttle is a pain. There are only so many and if you miss the last one, you're out of luck. You really have to plan your park time around when you need to catch that last bus. There isn't as much pressure if you are staying on property.

We agreed after our last stay offsite that we would never want to do that again and ended up buying into the dvc. So we definitely do find value in staying on property.

However, if you really need to save some money, then I would say a trip to Disney offsite is much better than no trip to Disney at all!

Upvote 0

trr1

what about staying at one of the hotels in DTD?

Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort

Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa

Doubletree Guest Suites

Hilton Orlando Resort

Holiday Inn

Regal Sun Resort

Royal Plaza Resort

Upvote 0

sbkline

I guess it depends on what kind of hotel/motel you stay at. We always drive, and on our first few trips, we stayed at the Super 8 motel on Vine Street in Kissimmee, for around 40 bucks a night. For 10 nights, our total for lodging was somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 bucks. Compare that to roughly 200 bucks a night at the moderate resorts where we stay at now...even with the 35% off we are getting with this deal. Obviously, if you want a more ritzy off site hotel, then the savings will decrease.

The question is, will the money you spend on taxis or car rental, plus lack of the dining plan, cancel out the savings of staying off site? Again, that depends on how much the price difference is between your off site lodging and Carribbean Beach, and it also depends on what your eating habits will be without the dining plan. Are you going to continue to eat a table service and counter service every day like you would on the dining plan, or are you more likely to stop at McDonalds on your way out of the park, back to your offsite hotel?

Like I said, in our case, we definitely saved staying offsite because we drive either way. Therefore, we don't have the added expense of taxi or car rental one way vs the other. The only difference would be the extra amount of driving we would do to drive in from Kissimmee each day vs either taking the bus, or driving the short distance from our resort to the park. And that extra expenditure is obviously dwarfed by the mammoth savings of staying at the Super 8 vs a Disney Moderate resort.

Upvote 0

sbkline

One more idea about saving money...

Is road tripping an option at all? When you fly, everyone in your party has to purchase a ticket, but you only have to pay for gas for one vehicle, regardless of how many people are in the vehicle. Have you done any math on which would be cheaper between the two following options?

A) Both of you buying a plane ticket and then possibly having to pay to rent a car or take a taxi

B) Driving your own vehicle there, which would involve stopping for gas, lodging along the way and food along the way

I have never flown, so I don't know how much airline tickets cost. But when my wife and I roadtrip down there, we generally fill up 3 times between Illinois and Florida, which would amount to around 150 bucks or so (each way), and stop at a motel to sleep, which runs around 70 bucks, plus however much we might spend to eat along the way, whether we want McDonald's or a sit down place like Outback, etc. I'm really not sure how much that would compare to the cost of the two of us to fly down...or now, the three of us since we have our little boy along.

Upvote 0

Monsterfan99

I only stay off-property and never will go back on property again. The Super 8 right by Old Town/Fun Spot (IT'S HUGE) was clean and nice for $32 after tax in August. We loved it more than All Star Sports and was 60% cheaper.

That said, only do it if you A) have a car B) only want a place to sleep, C) and most important READ REVIEWS!!! The resorts themselves do nothing as the parks are the draw to me.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I only stay off-property and never will go back on property again. The Super 8 right by Old Town/Fun Spot (IT'S HUGE) was clean and nice for $32 after tax in August. We loved it more than All Star Sports and was 60% cheaper.

That said, only do it if you A) have a car B) only want a place to sleep, C) and most important READ REVIEWS!!! The resorts themselves do nothing as the parks are the draw to me.

Good point on "B". When my wife and I stayed at the Super 8, that was before we had kids and when my wife was still physically able/willing to do the parks with me from open till close. Although we had a total blast on those trips, I can't imagine trying to do any kind of midday break, or making a practice of only being in the parks until 4 or 5, then spending the rest of the evening at the hotel. Because for one thing, it is a 15 or 20 minute drive from that Kissimmee Super 8 to the gates of WDW, so it would be very inconvenient to try to drive back to the motel, then back to the park later in the afternoon. Once we would leave the park and go back to the motel, it would be with the intention of spending the rest of the evening in Kissimmee, either in our room, or out mini-golfing, going to Walmart, etc.

The other problem with staying off property, or at least at that particular off property location, is that there is no ambiance or ammeneties to make the lodging an attraction in its own right. At the Disney resorts, you can spend the rest of the day at the hotel, just enjoying the pool, surrey bikes, arcade, or just lounging around enjoying the ambiance. At the Super 8 we stayed at, it's either lay around in your room watching TV, swimming in the generic hole in the ground pool, or watching the traffic go by on the highway...not really anything to do at the motel in other words.

So again...for the OP, if you want to stay off property, either make sure that you plan to only use the lodging for sleep and shower, or make sure that it is close enough to Disney property that you can conveniently go back to the park later that evening if you want. And make sure it has enough ammeneties to keep you entertained at the hotel/motel. But, of course, that's gonna hike the price up, too.

And, as someone else said, if you don't have a car and you're relying on the hotel shuttles, just keep in mind that there are only a few times that the shuttle comes. I'm sure each hotel/motel is different, but with the Super 8 that we stayed at, if I remember correctly, there were two departures in the morning TO the parks, and two pickups in the evening FROM the parks. So you either go in the morning at one of their departure times, or you don't go. And you have yourself at the parking lot at the designated place when the bus comes, or you walk back to your motel. It's not like the Disney bus service where the busses are constantly running. So if you want to leave at 3 PM for a nap or swim at your motel, you're out of luck and are stuck there until the bus comes. And if you want to stay and watch Wishes at 10, too bad...your bus will be there at 7 PM and you'd better be there.

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I myself stayed off property the first time we went. Our hotel was at the omni so a nice place.. then we paid for a rental car.. then we paid each day to park the car. The park tickets were seperate expense.. then we paid for our meals. All in all for us it came out the same staying on property vs hotel stay.

Now you know you miss the EMH and Dinning you also miss out of having merchandise delivered to your hotel - for me thats a really nice perk - since we travel with small children i am always afraid something might break before we get it back to the room.

However if we stayed at motel 6 - it might have been cheaper. but if I am going on vacation I want to at least enjoy the place where I am staying a little bit.

So for us its Disney property all the way!
Just my opinion... either way its disney :sohappy:

Upvote 0

lbrad

I have stayed off site several times:
Days Inn Kissimmee
Holiday Inn
Wilson world (now closed)
DTD Double Tree Guest Suites

I have stayed on site:
value
Moderate &
Deluxe

I go where the bargains are...the parks are the same...You are paying for the "extra magic/conveniences"

Research/compare is my best advice.
We always drive (from PA)...so we always have a car!

Good luck:wave:

Upvote 0

sbkline

I myself stayed off property the first time we went. Our hotel was at the omni so a nice place.. then we paid for a rental car.. then we paid each day to park the car. The park tickets were seperate expense.. then we paid for our meals. All in all for us it came out the same staying on property vs hotel stay.

Now you know you miss the EMH and Dinning you also miss out of having merchandise delivered to your hotel - for me thats a really nice perk - since we travel with small children i am always afraid something might break before we get it back to the room.

However if we stayed at motel 6 - it might have been cheaper. but if I am going on vacation I want to at least enjoy the place where I am staying a little bit.

So for us its Disney property all the way!
Just my opinion... either way its disney :sohappy:

But you're paying for meals and park tickets whether you stay on property or off, so those two things shouldn't factor into the equation at all...except perhaps the savings of the dining plan vs paying for everything out of pocket. But like I said, whether on property or off, DDP or not, you still pay for food.

Upvote 0
In the 18 times I have went, I have only ever stayed on site once. You can save alot by not staying on site - and that doesn't mean a lower quality of hotel. You can get suites for decent prices, which come with a kitchen, and sometimes *shock horror* can be nicer than some of the Disney resorts.

Don't know if it's alot cheaper travelling within the US, but I know travelling from the UK to Orlando, there's alot of savings that can be made staying off site.

Upvote 0

lovepooh

Tha may be true. But when you buy a package deal most of the time it is discounted in some way. So when you are adding those paramiters vs. staying off property, it actually is more cost effective. Cost effective is that I don't have to pay for a rental car for the entire week - their is disney busses and I dont have to pay for parking since staying off property I had to pay daily. So when you add all that in, just not worth it. I really like just getting off my plane and leaving it all up to disney.
Then you have to ask yourself a question is your time worth saving all that time, for us it definatly is. But like I said we didnt really save
anything for us. However we like to stay at locations that have something to do while we are at our hotel and disney definatly offers that.

Sure you will be at the parks the majority of time, but everyone needs down time and with that I can do some relaxing at my resort, or take a boat to DTD.
So for our family this is the only way to go to disney.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

No. No one in the history of the universe has ever stayed off-site and saved a single cent. :rolleyes:

Of course you can stay off site and save $$$. That's what we did for years before we stayed on site the first time. I think since the first time we stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort (back when it WAS the value Disney hotel with rates <$90), we've only stayed off-site once, and that was when we were only going to be there for 1 day.

Yes, you can find much nicer accomidations off-site than on-site for the price of staying on-site. But as some have said, you lose some magic by 're-entering' the real world at the end of the day. Something you don't have to do if you are on-site.

Seriously, the lack of vehicle would be a significant concern. You would save on parking, but you would have limited flexibility in relying on off-site hotel transportation to the parks.

Upvote 0

NoWorries

I'm still a planning novice, but it is definitely cheaper to stay off-site. Best advice is to simply price out all the options based on your personal preferences. Make sure you find good reviews for the place and look for discounts (they are out there)

As a more general comment, there are a number of factors I have come across to consider when planning a trip to disney:

- Do you have a car (parking fees on/off site, rental?)
- Costs for transportation to/from airport when flying
- Flexibility of off site shuttles
- Distance from the park
- What are you comparing against? (Value vs. Mod/Deluxe)
- Discounts, PIN's
- Number in party (are there kids)
- Extras (internet, fridge, other)
- Meals: Do you pay in the parks, bag it, or go off site
- Tickets: From Disney vs. other
- Living in the magic
- Likely others. Did I say I was a novice at this :)

Here is a personal example. Heading to the world this summer and I was looking at off site, but ended up choosing onsite. Priced out a lot of options (DW commented the spreadsheet was pretty crazy). In my case, I was surprised that the full trip was only $150 more to stay on site which was a small price to pay for all the extras you get. The kicker for us was that we got a QS dining plan PIN. When I crunched the numbers, it was pretty hard to compete against it for our needs. Our course, everyone has particular constraints you need to work with and could come to a very different result.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Sarah Rae

Our last two trips, my family has stayed in a non-disney hotel, and loved it. Three trips ago, we stayed at AS Music, and vowed never to stay in a value resort again. Even though we basically see the hotel as a room to sleep in, ASM was a long, crowded bus ride to everything, had crappy food, and a hike to your room after you got back after a long day. And the lines for the bus were always ridiculous, we usually had to wait for 2 or 3 buses to fill up before we could finally get on one.

We decided to try one of the DTD hotels and picked the Royal Plaza. It was a million times better. The rooms were very large (2 double beds plus a pull out couch, balcony/patio, and a jacuzzi tub on our second stay there) and the hotel itself was very nice. There was a Disney store in the lobby, a good snack bar/restaurant, and GREAT bus service. Compared to ASM, I was very impressed. The first trip, we had coach buses all the time and therefore never had to stand. The second trip, they were the "old" Disney buses, but we still always got a seat as they were rarely crowded. I believe they came every half hour or 15 minutes in the morning and evening, and a bit less frequent during the day. DTD was walking distance (or a very short bus ride), and the pool (and hot tub) were decent. And we paid much less than we had at ASM. No, we didn't get EMH, but that was just about the only thing missing. Package delivery is available to guests at the DTD hotels, and I didn't feel like I was missing any magic. If what I got at ASM was "Disney Magic", then I would rather have "Royal Plaza Magic". it felt very Disney to me. I didn't feel any transition between our hotel and the rest of the World.

My parents got an all-expenses paid trip where they stayed at POR and the Yacht Club, and they loved it, but said that there was really nothing wrong with the Royal Plaza. For our trip this May, we are trying a package because my mom wanted to try the DDP, and we got a pin code for 40% of a deluxe so figured we might as well give it a go. We're not saving any money this trip (no CAA discount on the room, we usually buy our tickets at the Canadian Disney Store for cheaper, and even with the discount, the Beach Club is still pretty expensive) but we want to try it.

I should also say that we drive down to Florida, but we hardly touch our car once we're there. We go to a grocery store and usually Red Lobster (it's my favourite restaurant and I don't like the Canadian ones as much), but that's it. We've never driven to a park.

Basically, if you want to save money, and you've done calculations and it's a big difference, I would say stay at a DTD hotel. I don't think you'll be missing a whole lot (unless not having EMH and pool slides will remove all magic from your vacation).

(That was really long. But I'm tired. And sorry.)

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

That was really long.
But informative.

Having stayed at Pop Century, I absolutely agree that there's nothing inherently magical about the lower end Disney resorts. Your story is a good example of how an off-property (if barely) hotel can provide most of the same tangible benefits as a Disney resort, as well as some that Disney isn't so good at.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom