Any new thunder mountain info?

gccgrad1996

I was at MK on Tue., 5/15 and took a good look at the progress being made. I saw workers painting as well as many of them doing work on the queue. There were also workers laying down what appeared to be electrical wiring around some of the tracks. In the evening there were trains running (albeit without any guests). However, as was noticed while riding the WDW Railroad, all of the animatronics had been taken out of the "town scene" (presumably for refurbishment/ repair). All that being said, I doubt there is going to be a soft opening in the next week or two.

As an aside, I was really hoping the Liberty Belle refurbishment would have been completed a few days earlier than the scheduled 5/20 completion and my family and I could have ridden it, but alas, no luck .. just another excuse to visit next year I guess!

That's how I feel. Unfortunately when we go in August Test Track will be closed and most of Fantasy Land not open yet. So as I figure it, this is greatest reason to have to go back next year!! Then whatever is closed for reburb in 2013 will give me the excuse to go back in 2014. I guess I will never stop going.

SMS55

That's how I feel. Unfortunately when we go in August Test Track will be closed and most of Fantasy Land not open yet. So as I figure it, this is greatest reason to have to go back next year!! Then whatever is closed for reburb in 2013 will give me the excuse to go back in 2014. I guess I will never stop going.

Why do you need an excuse? If you like it that's good enough. I go back not for the new stuff, but mostly for the oldies.

raven

Why would they install fiber-optics along the track? Is that new infrastructure for their PLC's and vehicle tracking/block system? That's about the only reason I can see why they'd need fiber.

Could it be a new ground cable, providing new grounding/bonding of all the track?

Quite possibly for the new effects.

mikeymouse

Personally I think would be cool is to have a detonator in front of a screen viewing the mine and you could push the plunger to set off an effect in the tunnel sort of like activating the squirt guns on Kali.

celluloid

Gotta gree. Why bother with the cheapness of a screen when that would not be very effective when a small cavern like opening with mine boards all over it marked mine closed due to explosives are up.

Then with a few lighting effects and sub woofers that are activated when the plunger is pushed you have a neat effect. For extra detail a tiny bit of fog could leak out as if mine dust.

wdw71fan

You said it was for dynamic braking.

multi usages.. the contractor that is installing the fiber is installing it all, for a variety of uses.

meanwhile.. I've heard that there may be soft openings early next week... but treat that as a VERY unconfirmed rumor at this point..

Tom

Beta Return
multi usages.. the contractor that is installing the fiber is installing it all, for a variety of uses.

meanwhile.. I've heard that there may be soft openings early next week... but treat that as a VERY unconfirmed rumor at this point..

Ah yes. Since it's almost assuredly multi-strand fiber, a pair can do all the braking, a pair can run all the lighting, and a pair can run all the effects.

menamechris

I passed by Big Thunder this morning on the train. I was surprised at how much work looks like it needs to be done to be ready in a week... They look like they are still in the middle of the whole project.... Not only would I not expect any soft openings...I personally wouldn't be shocked if they extend the refurb... But who knows, maybe they are working around the clock to finish it up.

RSoxNo1

I hope they don't open BTM before it's ready. I say give it as much time as it takes to get the ride working 100% and amazing.

Agree 100%. I hope JC is next.

Agreed that I don't want to see it opened early, I really think decisions like that paint Disney in a bad light, especially if it means that certain effects aren't working properly.

As for JC, I would think that a refurbishment to JC would mean additions on the scope of the Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion refurbs. I'm definitely in support of this, but would prefer things actually repaired in Splash Mountain first.

Tom

Beta Return
Agreed that I don't want to see it opened early, I really think decisions like that paint Disney in a bad light, especially if it means that certain effects aren't working properly.

As for JC, I would think that a refurbishment to JC would mean additions on the scope of the Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion refurbs. I'm definitely in support of this, but would prefer things actually repaired in Splash Mountain first.

Me too. I personally think JC is fine. It's still a semi-untouched classic that doesn't have anything noticeably broken or falling apart.

Splash needs a healthy refurb. I'm good with Pirates and HM as they are too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom