Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

UNCgolf

However my personal view is that if the attractions are good enough then people will still come for them rather than because of the IP alone. Most on here queried Pandora being brought to Disney and argued that nobody liked the movie, yet here we are years later and FOP is still hugely popular.

This is the real problem.

Pandora is so successful because the IP is basically irrelevant. You don't need to care about Avatar (or even have seen it -- I never have) to enjoy the land and the rides because they're designed incredibly well and don't use the IP as a crutch. That hasn't been the case for a lot of other recent Disney builds. Smuggler's Run only really works because you're flying the Millennium Falcon; it's not a very good ride on its own. Frozen Ever After is completely reliant on the Frozen IP and would be one of the worst rides in the parks if the Frozen characters/songs were replaced with something generic (to be fair, that's true of a lot of C ticket level dark rides, although I'd argue FEA's overall execution is worse). All of Toy Story Land has this issue. I'm not going to break down every example, but it's relatively widespread

I think it's much easier to build a great attraction without IP than it is to build one with IP. It's not that it can't be done -- its that it's easy/tempting to use the IP to prop up the ride, cut corners, and cover up flaws in a way that can't be done without that IP love/familiarity.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

To be clear, the "All Avengers characters" is a tough definition. Doctor Strange is allowed, as are the Guardians.
Its been way too long since I have read the contract but I believe its focused on the original Avengers and those that are long term tied to the Avengers at time of getting ownership - so Dr. Strange and Guardians fall out of that as they were just .... temps ;)

RSoxNo1

Its been way too long since I have read the contract but I believe its focused on the original Avengers and those that are long term tied to the Avengers at time of getting ownership - so Dr. Strange and Guardians fall out of that as they were just .... temps ;)
To my knowledge, the contract doesn't explicitly list out characters. The understanding on these boards is that if a character is represented in the land than that character, characters that are "teammates" with that character and villains associated with that character are off limits. It's those last two parts that are certainly subject for debate.

The other thing to consider here is that many of these things can be solved with money. There just needs to be a willingness.

mergatroid

This is the real problem.

Pandora is so successful because the IP is basically irrelevant. You don't need to care about Avatar (or even have seen it -- I never have) to enjoy the land and the rides because they're designed incredibly well and don't use the IP as a crutch. That hasn't been the case for a lot of other recent Disney builds. Smuggler's Run only really works because you're flying the Millennium Falcon; it's not a very good ride on its own. Frozen Ever After is completely reliant on the Frozen IP and would be one of the worst rides in the parks if the Frozen characters/songs were replaced with something generic (to be fair, that's true of a lot of C ticket level dark rides, although I'd argue FEA's overall execution is worse). All of Toy Story Land has this issue. I'm not going to break down every example, but it's relatively widespread

I think it's much easier to build a great attraction without IP than it is to build one with IP. It's not that it can't be done -- its that it's easy/tempting to use the IP to prop up the ride, cut corners, and cover up flaws in a way that can't be done without that IP love/familiarity.
Can't disagree with you too much there. My post was really in response to somebody making out there's a good chance that GOTG won't be of interest to people in the next 5 years despite the first two movies being big hits and another due out in 2023. I go on rides for how fun or interesting they are, rather than because of the IP related to them. For instance when I'm on the Hulk coaster not once does any connection to the Hulk character add anything to it for me, it's just a great coaster all on it's own.

ImperfectPixie

Can't disagree with you too much there. My post was really in response to somebody making out there's a good chance that GOTG won't be of interest to people in the next 5 years despite the first two movies being big hits and another due out in 2023. I go on rides for how fun or interesting they are, rather than because of the IP related to them. For instance when I'm on the Hulk coaster not once does any connection to the Hulk character add anything to it for me, it's just a great coaster all on it's own.
That's what the executives don't seem to understand...a good attraction is a good attraction...a familiar IP is just icing and isn't the actual draw.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ok...now I get it...you were being far too literal.

I wasn’t making a 5 year “prediction”...I was merely saying that comic book genre movies have been somewhat cyclic since Superman. They are hot ticket for awhile and then decline...never going away but Often afterthoughts.

the marvel people have done a very good job and re-engaging the audience. The streaming/network presence has been a good groundwork move. But we can’t for sure be guaranteed to get Marvel buzz and why I don’t want Disney using the rather fringe characters for theme park rides they rarely touch afterward. They just made a bit of a folly along those lines at mgm...

marvel has consciously decided to retire some of the marquee characters - at least temporarily - so I’d like to see where they go before we see more theme park stuff.

rather simple stance.

Phicinfan

To my knowledge, the contract doesn't explicitly list out characters. The understanding on these boards is that if a character is represented in the land than that character, characters that are "teammates" with that character and villains associated with that character are off limits. It's those last two parts that are certainly subject for debate.

The other thing to consider here is that many of these things can be solved with money. There just needs to be a willingness.
to the point above, why would Universal EVER sell those rights? Seriously? They can see clearly how HUGE MCU is for Disney, then give sell them the ability to put this in WDW?

No, not realistic. Nor would Disney pay the ridiculous price that it would take to get them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
to the point above, why would Universal EVER sell those rights? Seriously? They can see clearly how HUGE MCU is for Disney, then give sell them the ability to put this in WDW?

No, not realistic. Nor would Disney pay the ridiculous price that it would take to get them.

none. We talk about it...over and over again...which is what an online forum is for...but there is 0 chance. Why buy your characters to then pay to construct and staff your own physical attractions when your competitor runs them for you and pays 5 miles away??

this discussion never dies...it’s like monorail expansion...or fifth gate...or building thousands of newer/cheaper rooms...

...never going to happen.

The Grand Inquisitor

you’re assuming anyone will be interested in guardians of the galaxy or black panther in 5 years...
Guardians is getting a third movie and multiple shows and theme park rides in the coming years. Black Panther is considered by a lot of people to be on the the best superhero movies ever made(Personally I disagree it's a good movie but very overrated) but to many kids and adults especially those in the African American community the movie is insanely popular. I have seen Black Panther costumes, toys and merchandise everywhere. The franchise is not going away anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom