Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

mergatroid

I’m a “twice x half real” sort of a guy.

my “mindset” doesn’t change anything. Marvel has been an amazing success for them...no argument there.

has it been as big of a deal in parks? No...but it can’t be when the known/long lasting properties are restricted from use due to contracts. Shoehorning “anything” in Florida is not really a wise move. But we can start yet another purely hypothetical, not gonna Happen, “I think Disney will get the rights back...” discussion if we want?
I'm talking more about how this interaction began
you’re assuming anyone will be interested in guardians of the galaxy or black panther in 5 years...
I'm sure Disney's hopes and assumptions are that folks are still interested in 5 years. Using IP's can initially bring more people into the parks and some IP's may last longer than others. However my personal view is that if the attractions are good enough then people will still come for them rather than because of the IP alone. Most on here queried Pandora being brought to Disney and argued that nobody liked the movie, yet here we are years later and FOP is still hugely popular.

There's another GOTG film due out in 2023, there's no reason to think it won't do as well as the first two unless we choose to be negative. And if it's not, if the ride at Epcot is great then folk will talk about a great ride which people will want to ride even if they have no affiliation with the IP. Case in point, I hate Harry Potter. However when at Universal Studios I'll ride the attraction for the fun it is and that reason alone, an attraction doesn't live or die based on whether the movie it's based on is still popular. Initially it will attract more guests if popular and a great franchise will continue to attract, but a great attraction will also attract guests.

I'm not looking to start any hypothetical discussion on rights etc, that doesn't interest me at all. The only hypothetical thing going on is you saying "You're assuming anyone will be interested in guardians of the galaxy or black panther in 5 years...." as though we're assuming the next GOTG film will be a huge flop despite the success of the first two proving the complete opposite. I mean it could be, but it's like you're choosing the most negative of options and saying but what if people aren't interested in it anymore.

It's all subjective really and if you think the ideas are terrible then fair enough, it's just I don't spend that much time on this forum and yet when I see your name I expect a form of sarcasm or negativity and you rarely disappoint. Again that's fine and there's a million things that could be said about the waffle I post, it's just sometimes I think "Come on man, cheer up" when I read your posts :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I'm sure Disney's hopes and assumptions are that folks are still interested in 5 years. Using IP's can initially bring more people into the parks and some IP's may last longer than others. However my personal view is that if the attractions are good enough then people will still come for them rather than because of the IP alone. Most on here queried Pandora being brought to Disney and argued that nobody liked the movie, yet here we are years later and FOP is still hugely popular.

There's another GOTG film due out in 2023, there's no reason to think it won't do as well as the first two unless we choose to be negative. And if it's not, if the ride at Epcot is great then folk will talk about a great ride which people will want to ride even if they have no affiliation with the IP. Case in point, I hate Harry Potter. However when at Universal Studios I'll ride the attraction for the fun it is and that reason alone, an attraction doesn't live or die based on whether the movie it's based on is still popular. Initially it will attract more guests if popular and a great franchise will continue to attract, but a great attraction will also attract guests.

I'm not looking to start any hypothetical discussion on rights etc, that doesn't interest me at all. The only hypothetical thing going on is you saying "You're assuming anyone will be interested in guardians of the galaxy or black panther in 5 years...." as though we're assuming the next GOTG film will be a huge flop despite the success of the first two proving the complete opposite. I mean it could be, but it's like you're choosing the most negative of options and saying but what if people aren't interested in it anymore.

It's all subjective really and if you think the ideas are terrible then fair enough, it's just I don't spend that much time on this forum and yet when I see your name I expect a form of sarcasm or negativity and you rarely disappoint. Again that's fine and there's a million things that could be said about the waffle I post, it's just sometimes I think "Come on man, cheer up" when I read your posts :)

I’m not that deep on this whole thing.

do I like them using more “fringe” Marvel IP in Orlando? No...doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

but if the guardians coaster is good...which I think it should be...it will be very popular. I’ll take it.

avatar is good...since? No...not really. So I’ll take any good new investment. The tron coaster will be very popular too. And they just need more stuff. But preferably good stuff for years of construction and these bloated budgets

mergatroid

do I like them using more “fringe” Marvel IP in Orlando? No...doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

but if the guardians coaster is good...which I think it should be...it will be very popular. I’ll take it.

avatar is good...since? No...not really. So I’ll take any good new investment. The tron coaster will be very popular too. And they just need more stuff. But preferably good stuff for years of construction and these bloated budgets
I'll take that as a slight positive even though it doesn't relate to what I said, cheer up man :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll take that as a slight positive even though it doesn't relate to what I said, cheer up man :)

we’re talking about amusement parks owned and run by an American stock conglomerate...just to “center the compass”...

if I wanted to be depressed about something...I’d find something more significant, would I not?

Phicinfan

I know it won't happen, so please lets not start another tangent on a 5th gate in Florida....

But in my opinion - if they do spend for the Marvel rights to be accessible in FL - then you have to do that as a 5th gate. You would do the Cap coaster, Avengers acadamy, spiderman ride, meet and greets - GotG drop tower and so on. It technically then could allow you to repurpose the GotG roller coaster in EPCOT for some other target - space flight or exploration as such.

yeah I know, wishful thinking

EPCOT-O.G.

I know it won't happen, so please lets not start another tangent on a 5th gate in Florida....

But in my opinion - if they do spend for the Marvel rights to be accessible in FL - then you have to do that as a 5th gate. You would do the Cap coaster, Avengers acadamy, spiderman ride, meet and greets - GotG drop tower and so on. It technically then could allow you to repurpose the GotG roller coaster in EPCOT for some other target - space flight or exploration as such.

Trade theme park rights to Marvel for Simpsons

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

even if they had a reason to do that...which they don’t because ip isn’t gonna drive more attendance at their prices and they’re not selling volumes of merch that can be got anywhere now...the time it takes for Disney to do something of such magnitude would mean there’s little chance that marvel would not be in an “ebb” period by the time it opened.

and they’d cannibalize their own parks...for sure

Phicinfan

even if they had a reason to do that...which they don’t because ip isn’t gonna drive more attendance at their prices and they’re not selling volumes of merch that can be got anywhere now...the time it takes for Disney do something of such magnitude would mean there’s little chance that marvel would not be in an “ebb” period by the time it opened.

Don't disagree, however, if Universal's new Mario land take attendance from WDW similar to what Harry Potter did, then I am betting Disney can get creative if they wish to. Who knows, maybe they finally force DHS to be the movie park and the redo anything not SW or Pixar to a marvel point of view.

Oh, and they will sell tons of Marvel merch even if movies start to die off, thanks to still having draw on Disney +

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't disagree, however, if Universal's new Mario land take attendance from WDW similar to what Harry Potter did, then I am betting Disney can get creative if they wish to. Who knows, maybe they finally force DHS to be the movie park and the redo anything not SW or Pixar to a marvel point of view.

Oh, and they will sell tons of Marvel merch even if movies start to die off, thanks to still having draw on Disney +

purely hypothetical...but if the new universal park is a game changer...and I’m not one to believe that when it comes to Disney’s pull but I do entertain it here...

then Comcast would be fool to release the Marvel rights for any reason.

call me a romantic...but Disney has a bigger arrow in their quiver.

and frankly...cut the crap...it’s to finally build Star Wars attractions with the right material that pushes the envelop and gives the fans what they want. They won’t do it...and it doesn’t make any sense. Use what you’ve got...us geezers will still come for 30 more years and drag the kin with us.

that’s just me..however.

mikejs78

Premium Member
even if they had a reason to do that...which they don’t because ip isn’t gonna drive more attendance at their prices and they’re not selling volumes of merch that can be got anywhere now...the time it takes for Disney to do something of such magnitude would mean there’s little chance that marvel would not be in an “ebb” period by the time it opened.

I mean, people have been predicting that Marvel would ebb for years now... I honestly don't think it doesn't ebb this year and next, it won't ebb for a long time. This is the biggest change for Marvel in years - with Downey and Evans gone, and handing over the MCU to new franchises, now would be the time for an ebb in interest. Yet if the popularity of Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier are any indication, we're a long time from the ebb moment.

I have a high degree of trust in Kevin Feige, as long as he remains in charge of Marvel - if you had told me 12 years ago that Thor, Captain America, Iron Man would become huge franchises and that the MCU would exist as it does, I would have thought you were nuts. When the first Guardians movie was announced, my first thought was, oh well, they had a good thing with the Avengers, no way this does well..

I've learned not to underestimate Feige. I'm going into movies like The Eternals and Shang-Chi with an assumption that they will be great and keep the MCU fresh, because nothing that Feige has produced has disappointed yet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, people have been predicting that Marvel would ebb for years now... I honestly don't think it doesn't ebb this year and next, it won't ebb for a long time. This is the biggest change for Marvel in years - with Downey and Evans gone, and handing over the MCU to new franchises, now would be the time for an ebb in interest. Yet if the popularity of Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier are any indication, we're a long time from the ebb moment.

I have a high degree of trust in Kevin Feige, as long as he remains in charge of Marvel - if you had told me 12 years ago that Thor, Captain America, Iron Man would become huge franchises and that the MCU would exist as it does, I would have thought you were nuts. When the first Guardians movie was announced, my first thought was, oh well, they had a good thing with the Avengers, no way this does well..

I've learned not to underestimate Feige. I'm going into movies like The Eternals and Shang-Chi with an assumption that they will be great and keep the MCU fresh, because nothing that Feige has produced has disappointed yet.

If I had to bet...and luckily I don’t...I would say that comic book franchises won’t be on top all the time. Their history has been ebb and flow.

the problem with mcu right now is they’ve really only done the “big characters” to this point. Their upcoming slate Isn’t that at all.

now...buying Fox could help sustain them...which is why I don’t think they’re in a huge hurry to rush X and F4 out...that is wise.

im not predicting the death of MCU...just don’t think it’s reasonable to expect it to continue to expand

EPCOT-O.G.

If you listened to the latest Disney Dish podcast, it speculates that post-Star Wars hotel the timeline may be a bit more flexible going forward in Batuu. So, what comes after Galaxy's Edge is Galaxy's Edge 2.0.

As far as Marvel, I think the next phase or two would deal with the inclusion of other properties - like Fox (X-Men, FF). Not sure how much those have been carved out by Universal already but wonder how many of those properties are fair game for an East coast based attraction(s).

mergatroid

we’re talking about amusement parks owned and run by an American stock conglomerate...just to “center the compass”...

if I wanted to be depressed about something...I’d find something more significant, would I not?
I honestly have no idea, you post so much that I'm guessing it's a big part of your life? It's no problem :)

Phicinfan

purely hypothetical...but if the new universal park is a game changer...and I’m not one to believe that when it comes to Disney’s pull but I do entertain it here...

then Comcast would be fool to release the Marvel rights for any reason.

call me a romantic...but Disney has a bigger arrow in their quiver.

and frankly...cut the crap...it’s to finally build Star Wars attractions with the right material that pushes the envelop and gives the fans what they want. They won’t do it...and it doesn’t make any sense. Use what you’ve got...us geezers will still come for 30 more years and drag the kin with us.

that’s just me..however.
Not a bad thought. I also agree no way Universal gives up Marvel if WDW is pressed, that would lead to a huge gain for Disney if they got rights east of the Mississippi.
I also agree, a 5th gate devoted to star wars - and have each area devoted to a Star wars world would be really good idea.

But I am a Trek fan, so I am not so high on it ;)

Phicinfan

If you listened to the latest Disney Dish podcast, it speculates that post-Star Wars hotel the timeline may be a bit more flexible going forward in Batuu. So, what comes after Galaxy's Edge is Galaxy's Edge 2.0.
No offense, but Galaxy's Edge 2.0 isn't proper justice, and as stated above I am a Trek guy, not Star Wars guy. And I see that.
As far as Marvel, I think the next phase or two would deal with the inclusion of other properties - like Fox (X-Men, FF). Not sure how much those have been carved out by Universal already but wonder how many of those properties are fair game for an East coast based attraction(s).
FF can't be touched, and pretty sure X-men can't either. So neither are East Coast material

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not a bad thought. I also agree no way Universal gives up Marvel if WDW is pressed, that would lead to a huge gain for Disney if they got rights east of the Mississippi.
I also agree, a 5th gate devoted to star wars - and have each area devoted to a Star wars world would be really good idea.

But I am a Trek fan, so I am not so high on it ;)

1621958914700.jpeg

RSoxNo1

IP integration is about guest expectation of seeing certain characters represented. It's also about a year one marketing push. Other than that, quality ultimately wins out from a ride demand standpoint.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No offense, but Galaxy's Edge 2.0 isn't proper justice, and as stated above I am a Trek guy, not Star Wars guy. And I see that.

FF can't be touched, and pretty sure X-men can't either. So neither are East Coast material

restricted from wdw:

all avengers characters
Spider-Man
Xmen
Fantastic four

That represents about 90% of the long established marvel characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom