Another Haunted Mansion Thread.

Capt. Jack

Original Poster
Yes, I know there are tons others, but I figured i'd make my own asking one specific question.

Is there a chance Haunted Mansion will have a Soft Opening or even open Earlier then expected? I mean, look, they redid the Finding Nemo ride in Epcot, & they still had a soft opening, so? Only because i'm going to Disney World Aug. 31 - Sept. 10, soo.

CaptainMichael

I don't think so because I think they'll be hardpressed to get it open on time. If anything, it would be like Pirates and open just a few days early for little bits at a time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From what is being reported there is simply an insane amount of work going on inside the mansion and it is going to take every second of the scheduled refurb time to get it done. That being said anything is possible but I would not count on it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep as said above, word from the MK is that its a VERY tight timescale, so dont expect soft opens.

Capt. Jack

Original Poster
So, I can expect maybe at least a lucky chance to be able to ride it at least once? But I shouldn't hold high hopes for that?

Hey, a chance is a chane.

Rob562

The difference between Haunted Mansion and many other soft openings is that the Haunted Mansion is just a refurb with scenes being added/changed. From an operations standpoint, there's nothing being changed that would affect Cast Members' duties or performance.

When attractions soft-open or give sneak previews, it's because they're brand new and the Cast Members need practice doing their jobs with real Guests and real loading/unloading situations. (It also gives the engineers the ability to close the attraction at-will for any problems that crop up)
Expedition Everest had sneak previews and soft openings for months because it was brand new.
Nemo, while using some parts of the old attraction, was essentially a brand new attraction. Queue layout, loading and unloading, etc were all vastly different from the previous Living Seas. (Besides, the old ride-through had been closed for so long that there probably weren't many people left who were fully trained on its operation anyway) So, the cast needed some shakedown time to ease into full operation.

That's also why I don't believe Spaceship Earth will have any sort of soft-openings, because from the CM's standpoint, nothing will have changed.

The only chance you really have of an attraction opening early from an extended refurb is literally the afternoon/evening before it's supposed to re-open. The day before it opens, cast members are brought in for a full shift just to get them back in the swing of running the attraction (and go over any minor changes to their jobs, like new control panels, new spiels, etc). Late in the day on the "refresher course" day, if the cast fully checks out, the attraction is up and running and the cast is there for the full operating day anyway, sometimes the manager in charge will say "OK, let's open it up for the last few hours." Might as well, seeing as how the attraction is running and using the power and the CMs are getting paid anyway. That's when you *might* get lucky and ride it before scheduled re-opening.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom