Another generation: Magic Kingdom (my way)

Keyblade Jedi

Just a quick one for the moment...

Now we have Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. It will receive its most drastic update since the final scene update in 1994. Now it will no longer be jumping just every 20 years, then 30, 40, 50, etc. years after the 1940s. Now the entire show is altered, to now jump every 40 years. I'm thinking of probably starting off, not in the early 1900s, but in the 1920s, the heretofore second scene in the show, then jump to the 1960s (which may or may not allow for some returns of the original World's Fair/Disneyland content), then to the 2000s, and then to the 2040s! But I have no idea about technology, so I'm going to leave it at that for the time being. My other alternative is to start it in the 1900s like usual, then jump to the 1940s, the 1980s and the 2020s, but that might be cutting in a little too close, and then we would be right back where we started. But in any case, the Carousel of Progress is going to updated.

Told you it was quick. Stay tuned!

I
I'll Be Waiting.

northmusic

Just a quick one for the moment...

Now we have Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. It will receive its most drastic update since the final scene update in 1994. Now it will no longer be jumping just every 20 years, then 30, 40, 50, etc. years after the 1940s. Now the entire show is altered, to now jump every 40 years. I'm thinking of probably starting off, not in the early 1900s, but in the 1920s, the heretofore second scene in the show, then jump to the 1960s (which may or may not allow for some returns of the original World's Fair/Disneyland content), then to the 2000s, and then to the 2040s! But I have no idea about technology, so I'm going to leave it at that for the time being. My other alternative is to start it in the 1900s like usual, then jump to the 1940s, the 1980s and the 2020s, but that might be cutting in a little too close, and then we would be right back where we started. But in any case, the Carousel of Progress is going to updated.

Told you it was quick. Stay tuned!
I really like this idea. I've mentioned something similar in some of my other thread comments as well.

I know there are purists out there who would want to keep things exactly as is, but at that point the spirit of why COP was built is totally lost. Doing a modification in 40 year increments (1900s, 1940's, 1980's, 2020's) would be beneficial for a few reasons:

- Two of the stages could remain almost untouched, thus keeping a portion of the original.
- It would add a segment of time missing from the attraction today (1980's)
- It would be less pressure to update the attraction as often. :)

COP Map.jpg

mharrington

Original Poster
I really like this idea. I've mentioned something similar in some of my other thread comments as well.

I know there are purists out there who would want to keep things exactly as is, but at that point the spirit of why COP was built is totally lost. Doing a modification in 40 year increments (1900s, 1940's, 1980's, 2020's) would be beneficial for a few reasons:

- Two of the stages could remain almost untouched, thus keeping a portion of the original.
- It would add a segment of time missing from the attraction today (1980's)
- It would be less pressure to update the attraction as often. :)

View attachment 134401

Even so, we would have to move the 1940s section to the second act, whereas it was previously the third act. We would also have to revise the script slightly so that all references to fall are replaced by summer. We would also have to figure out how to explain the stuff that has happened in the forty years. We would be blowing past the 1920s, don't forget.

mharrington

Original Poster
Astro Orbiter and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover will remain the same, but the PeopleMover will receive yet another new new: the Tomorrowland PeopleMover. But aside from that, it will be the same as usual, albeit with a revised script in keeping with the updates to the area.

Meanwhile, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin will be revised and expanded similar to the Peter Pan ride in Fantasyland, and be more like the upcoming Buzz Lightyear ride coming to Shanghai. The expansion will call for the removal of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, which should make some people happy, who don't think it fits there. To account for the smaller space, a restaurant or a shop will be put over there, though it remains to be seen what it will be.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
Where the Stitch show once stood, there will now be a new Tron simulator ride! It will be based on the Tron LightCycle coaster coming to Shanghai, but it will be a simulator. It will be called "Tron: Escape From Master Control". I will provide details later, but for now, here's the complete rundown on Tomorrowland:

ATTRACTIONS:
Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Planet Rescue
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland PeopleMover
Tron: Escape From Master Control
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

RESTAURANTS:
Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies
Coca-Cola Cool Ship
Cosmic Ray's Starliner Diner
Futurists' Club
Lunching Pad
Tomorrowland Comet Cafe

SHOPS:
Buzz Lightyear's Store Command
Intergalactic Imports (at Space Mountain exit)
Merchant of Venus
Mickey's Star Traders
Ursa's Major Minor Cart

Next time, I will get to the great secret new land partially taking over the Rivers of America!

Keyblade Jedi

Where the Stitch show once stood, there will now be a new Tron simulator ride! It will be based on the Tron LightCycle coaster coming to Shanghai, but it will be a simulator. It will be called "Tron: Escape From Master Control". I will provide details later, but for now, here's the complete rundown on Tomorrowland:

ATTRACTIONS:
Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Planet Rescue
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland PeopleMover
Tron: Escape From Master Control
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

RESTAURANTS:
Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies
Coca-Cola Cool Ship
Cosmic Ray's Starliner Diner
Futurists' Club
Lunching Pad
Tomorrowland Comet Cafe

SHOPS:
Buzz Lightyear's Store Command
Intergalactic Imports (at Space Mountain exit)
Merchant of Venus
Mickey's Star Traders
Ursa's Major Minor Cart

Next time, I will get to the great secret new land partially taking over the Rivers of America!

Guess It's Time for Me to Do the Spiel of the PeopleMover.

Keyblade Jedi

And the Tomorrowland PeopleMover Spiel.

Orac-1: You are now beginning a grand-circle tour of Tomorrowland aboard The PeopleMover, the first system of its kind in the world. Since its 1975 opening, The PeopleMover has carried over 50,000,000 guests. Inside the pavilion we're now approaching is Tron: Escape From Master Control. Where the Users Help Tron to Stop the Master Control and Save the Grid before It's too Late.

Jack Wagner (Archival): And now sit back in your seat as the PeopleMover presents a preview of the future in the city of tomorrow. Man's goal of a better place to live, work and play. This city is a dream. To make it real, we will need to use our energy resources wisely, not wastefully. Today and tomorrow.

Orac-1: Just below is Mickey's Star Traders, where you’ll find the largest selection of Disney signature clothing, toys, and gift items here at The Magic Kingdom.

Mickey Mouse: That's right! It's out of this world! Ha-ha!

Orac-1: You're about to enter one of Tomorrowland’s most exciting attractions: Space Mountain. For everyone’s safety, we remind you to please remain seated. Inside Space Mountain, you’ll rocket through the cosmos on a thrilling journey. And now, here’s a sample of the high-speed adventure that awaits you in Space Mountain.

Jack Wagner: You're riding aboard a brand new concept in electric transportation. The first to use electric linear induction motors. There are no moving parts in these clean, quiet motors. Across the way is the Contemporary Resort. Running right through the hotel is the Walt Disney World Monorail. Another electric powered transit system here in our Vacation Kingdom.

(The PeopleMover now moves around the Carousel Of Progress theater.)

Jack Wagner: We're now moving past the Carousel Of Progress. Where four warm and humorous families welcome you into their homes of yesterday and today, starting way back at the turn of the century. First presented at the New York World's Fair and Disneyland, this famous theater-in-the-round celebrates how progress through electricity has contributed to better living.

Orac-1: We’re now passing Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. Here, you can team up with The Star Command to destroy the Evil Emperor Zurg and his minions.

Orac-1: In the distance, you will see Cinderella castle. Those of you who have always wanted an invitation to dine in the castle, will find Cinderella's Royal Dining Hall.

Orac-1: Now as we approach the PeopleMover station, our Grand Circle tour of Tomorrowland is coming to an end, but not to a stop, aboard this transportation system that never stops. On behalf of the Edison Electric Institute for your electric company, we hope you've enjoyed your trip aboard this electric transportation system of tomorrow, here today.

mharrington

Original Poster
Here now is what is going over in that new land where part of the Rivers of America once was:
mk-roa-replacement-jpg.129704

Located off of the entrance to the Haunted Mansion and some new bridges on and off of Tom Sawyer Island lies a new land, themed to Mickey and the gang: Mickey's Startown. The name is based on both Mickey's Starland and Mickey's Toontown.

I know what you're thinking: why put it over here rather than over by Fantasyland? Well, there are a couple reasons. For one thing, the prime location, behind Fantasyland, is not really feasible because of structural constraints:
untitled-jpg.86229

It would probably make a better transition between here and Fantasyland, but not only is the Utilidors entrance right there, but so are the fireworks launch and fallout zone. So it's almost impossible to build out back there without running into a lot of headaches.

Anyway, this idea of mine to reduce the Rivers of America and put the land back there takes its cue from the plans for Star Wars at Disneyland, which, as you know, is taking over part of the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad in addition to the ranch and backstage areas. This concept of mine will similarly reduce this park's river, which, as you can see from the above rendering, has only keelboats for river traffic, while the Liberty Belle Riverboat has become permanently docked. Perhaps to better transition from the old west to cartoons, this land will be contained with a mountainous area. It will be like some Southern Californian area spotted within some mountains.

This idea of mine would take its cue from the plans for Star Wars at Disneyland, which, as you probably know, is taking over part of the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad in addition to the ranch and backstage areas. This concept of mine will similarly reduce this park's river, which, as you can see, has only keelboats for river traffic, while the Liberty Belle Riverboat has become permanently docked. Perhaps to better transition from the old west to cartoons, this land will be contained with a mountainous area. It will be like some Southern Californian area spotted within some mountains.

This is where the Mickey area will now go, in the northwestern end of the park. It's not the first choice of mine to put it in this park, but this is probably the only default spot left for it to go. And hey, if Disneyland can put a Star Wars land in an area far away from Tomorrowland, home to Star Tours, I guess anything is possible (although rumor now has it that Star Tours may close when the new land opens). And besides, Islands of Adventure has a land devoted to Dr. Seuss at one corner and a land devoted to cartoons and Sunday funny papers at another, both separated from each other. So like I said, anything is possible.

Before I go into detail on this land, however, I want you to know that this land will not affect Storybook Circus, which may or may not be separated from Fantasyland. However, the Madcap Circus concept is right now in a state of flux. But the Great Goofini roller coaster will remain in Storybook Circus. As such, since the kiddie coaster is located at Storybook Circus, there won't be any such ride at the new Mickey land.

I will go into detail, but until then, thoughts, comments, concerns?

Keyblade Jedi

Here now is what is going over in that new land where part of the Rivers of America once was:
mk-roa-replacement-jpg.129704

Located off of the entrance to the Haunted Mansion and some new bridges on and off of Tom Sawyer Island lies a new land, themed to Mickey and the gang: Mickey's Startown. The name is based on both Mickey's Starland and Mickey's Toontown.

I know what you're thinking: why put it over here rather than over by Fantasyland? Well, there are a couple reasons. For one thing, the prime location, behind Fantasyland, is not really feasible because of structural constraints:
untitled-jpg.86229

It would probably make a better transition between here and Fantasyland, but not only is the Utilidors entrance right there, but so are the fireworks launch and fallout zone. So it's almost impossible to build out back there without running into a lot of headaches.

Anyway, this idea of mine to reduce the Rivers of America and put the land back there takes its cue from the plans for Star Wars at Disneyland, which, as you know, is taking over part of the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad in addition to the ranch and backstage areas. This concept of mine will similarly reduce this park's river, which, as you can see from the above rendering, has only keelboats for river traffic, while the Liberty Belle Riverboat has become permanently docked. Perhaps to better transition from the old west to cartoons, this land will be contained with a mountainous area. It will be like some Southern Californian area spotted within some mountains.

This idea of mine would take its cue from the plans for Star Wars at Disneyland, which, as you probably know, is taking over part of the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad in addition to the ranch and backstage areas. This concept of mine will similarly reduce this park's river, which, as you can see, has only keelboats for river traffic, while the Liberty Belle Riverboat has become permanently docked. Perhaps to better transition from the old west to cartoons, this land will be contained with a mountainous area. It will be like some Southern Californian area spotted within some mountains.

This is where the Mickey area will now go, in the northwestern end of the park. It's not the first choice of mine to put it in this park, but this is probably the only default spot left for it to go. And hey, if Disneyland can put a Star Wars land in an area far away from Tomorrowland, home to Star Tours, I guess anything is possible (although rumor now has it that Star Tours may close when the new land opens). And besides, Islands of Adventure has a land devoted to Dr. Seuss at one corner and a land devoted to cartoons and Sunday funny papers at another, both separated from each other. So like I said, anything is possible.

Before I go into detail on this land, however, I want you to know that this land will not affect Storybook Circus, which may or may not be separated from Fantasyland. However, the Madcap Circus concept is right now in a state of flux. But the Great Goofini roller coaster will remain in Storybook Circus. As such, since the kiddie coaster is located at Storybook Circus, there won't be any such ride at the new Mickey land.

I will go into detail, but until then, thoughts, comments, concerns?

I Thought that was California.

mharrington

Original Poster
I Thought that was California.

This idea of mine is based on how they are doing the Star Wars land in Disneyland.

I suggest updating the 4th scene of CoP to be more futher because in 4 years it would be 2020 XD.

Which is why I had already proposed the idea of starting in the 1920s and going that way. However, that still requires a wholesale revision of the script, all the way through. Even the 1920s would still have to be updated, it's no longer set in the summer but in the spring, as in the original 1900s scene.

Keyblade Jedi

This idea of mine is based on how they are doing the Star Wars land in Disneyland.

Which is why I had already proposed the idea of starting in the 1920s and going that way. However, that still requires a wholesale revision of the script, all the way through. Even the 1920s would still have to be updated, it's no longer set in the summer but in the spring, as in the original 1900s scene.

Oh.

mharrington

Original Poster
So here now is the first part of my plan for the Mickey-themed land.

Before I actually get into all that's there to do, however, the area is not going to be called Toontown, nor will the architecture be cartoon-like in appearance (i.e., no inflated-looking stuff). Instead, the architecture will be more like Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, but far less low-rent, perhaps the kind of thing you would get if you crossed Birthdayland/Starland with Mickey Avenue. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is the name of the place. One of the few things I can think of Mouseton, the name of the city in which Mickey lives in the comics, but if you will recall, in his comics, Donald lives in his own city, known as Duckburg, the city where "DuckTales" takes place.

So therefore, there needs to be something where the two can seemingly live together - besides Toontown. The only thing I can think of is just Mouseton, but I was thinking of having a statue in the center of the land of their two co-founders, Mickey and Oswald, and Mouseton seems like it is marginalizing Oswald, and I don't want that. The only other thing I can think of Mickey's Startown. Like I said, I don't want it to be Toontown, and this name's land sounds like "Starland", but with "town" instead of "land". I'm not saying it's good or bad, just similar.

What do you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom