Annual Pass vs. AAA rates

Mikester71

Okay, so I know there have been a few threads on here lately discussing the benefits of buying an annual pass, but when I asked this in one of those recent threads, I don't think anyone responded. All I want to know is whether or not it is more economical to look into an annual pass over just using CAA (Canadian AAA) to book our March 2009 WDW vacation.

I saw a lot of people on here say that if you are staying more than 7 days a year or per trip, the annual pass actually works out to be cheaper. Why I ask is because we are planning a 10 day trip next March to WDW, staying at the Pop Century resort again. Our recent pattern seems to be to go every two years for a week or 10 days. We have been using CAA here in my hometown to book our trips and the rates always seem pretty reasonable considering we are going in the middle of March during our Spring Break (peak season). If I can book the trip cheaper by getting an annual pass however, I am more than interested. I think I could squeeze an extra vacation in there before the year is up somehow, but not 100% sure on that.

I know I can just go on Disney's site and price the vacation as a whole and then use the AP rates to try and figure it out that way, but I was just wondering if there are any Canadian WDW vacationers who usually only go once every year or two out there, or any other yearly or less frequent WDW visitors really, who still find it is the better deal to look into the AP rate. Just for the record, we usually like to hit the water parks and do PI and DQ and all that too, so I know we would be looking at a premium annual pass. Or is it cheaper to just get an annual and buy separate tickets for those things? Any feedback and price comparisons would be greatly appreciated!:sohappy::wave:

LizziePooh

Wow, I've had AAA for years, and only a few days ago found out about these discounts! I could have saved so much money! :hammer: :cry:
I have a question though, and I dont know if this has already been discussed, so I hope I'm not repeating a question. In order to use the AAA discount, can I just ask to apply the discount when I make a trip reservation, or do I have to do it through a travel agent, or a AAA agent? Any help on this would be much appreciated!! :D

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry I can't help you with AAA or AP rates, but I noticed you're only an hour and 15 min from Detroit. Have you ever considered flying out of DTW if you haven't already? I think flights will probably be way cheaper than flying out from Canada. Especially look into Spirit Airlines, cheap fares and their non-stop.

Hey, no problem yazmin. We always drive down because I think it works out way cheaper in the end. I have a buddy who always drives to DTW and then flies out since we are so close and he can usually get good fares like you said, but he goes during the off-season all the time. It is REALLY expensive to get a flight during March Break out of anywhere and I just find I can use that money for more important things (WDW shopping). :sohappy: Plus, I never travelled much as a kid and just love the drive down there. Me and my wife switch off and it usually only takes us a day and a bit. Even with gas being so expensive, it is still way cheaper because my mother-in-law and brother come with us and we all split the cost of gas all the way down and back. Just over a $100 each last March and that was both ways.
Thanks for the suggestion though.:wave:

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
If you booked the MYW package with CAA, you would have gotten a package discount. Personally, when I book room only with the CAA discount, I reserve directly through Disney. If you do this (room-only) and then convert to a package with Disney, you lose the room-only discount.

I would assume the CAA agent would have booked you a package if you said you wanted the tickets included. Knowledgebale TA's would check the cost differences between packages and separate components. Unless I receive a pin code, I tend to book everything separately since it ends up coming out cheaper for me that way.

BTW, CAA/AAA is interchangeable ... it doesn't matter which one you have :)

Cool, thanks for that bit of advice. ;)

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Wow, I've had AAA for years, and only a few days ago found out about these discounts! I could have saved so much money! :hammer: :cry:
I have a question though, and I dont know if this has already been discussed, so I hope I'm not repeating a question. In order to use the AAA discount, can I just ask to apply the discount when I make a trip reservation, or do I have to do it through a travel agent, or a AAA agent? Any help on this would be much appreciated!! :D

I am 99.9% sure that you can apply it when you make your reservation your self. I think you just show them your card when you check in, although I can't remember them asking to see my MIL's AAA card when we checked in both times. :shrug:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

From mousesavers:
  • During Value Season you can get up to 15% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 20% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Regular Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Peak Season and Summer Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts.
  • The only time AAA/CAA discounts don't usually apply is Holiday Season (around Christmas) at the Value and Moderate resorts

Upvote 0

Edisto Pluto

From mousesavers:
  • During Value Season you can get up to 15% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 20% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Regular Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Peak Season and Summer Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts.
  • The only time AAA/CAA discounts don't usually apply is Holiday Season (around Christmas) at the Value and Moderate resorts
That's correct we just got off the phone for a Christmas week stay at the BC and the AAA discount was not allowed

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi all, Ill chime in a little here. I know that we at Kingdom Konsultants can apply a room discount for AAA, so I would assume that an average person can do so as well. As far as booking an UNDISCOUNTED package with a AAA discount, in that case only AAA can book you. Disney cannot apply the AAA discount, nor can anyone else but a AAA Travel agent. If you are booking a package that has a discount on it such as the Free Dining, the AAA travel agents cannot offer a better deal than any other agent or Disney directly, as you cant get both discounts applied to one reservation!! I hope this information helps! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom