News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
$150 basically across the board.

Weren’t gonna get (already have) a ton of over-simplistic, rudimentary basic Econ quips about the micro curve on this...that’s always cute - if clueless.

Step back and try not to be a financial genius: an increase of that size is a MAJOR change. No way to change that. Even on a “luxury good”. Just can’t put a face on it other than a cash grab/gouge. It is.

That’s not a discussion point for “individual truth”. Now whether that affects how you take it, is another story. Debate that away.

I don't know if I fall into the typical non-Florida resident AP Holder category, but this increase is a major FU to me, the loyal guest. I have as of lately been making 3-4 trips/year about 25 days in total. I've been Platinum Plus since becoming an AP Holder and I'm not going to give up on my AP, but most likely downgrade to a gold. As a DVC member I have this ability (for now), but for non-DVC and non-Florida residents who can't go this route, it's a major burden.

One can argue that it's just for SWGE and after that it will stabilize, but then the next excuse to raise it will be the 50th anniversary, Tron, Epcot 40, New Epcot, etc. it's unending...

wendysue

WELL.....we were going to get AP's on our next trip in July. Instead, we canceled the trip entirely. The whole parking, AP, money grab for everything mentality is laughable now. Enough for us. Not mad or sad....just don't think that any of this is worth it anymore.

However, I do have Southwest tickets I have to use this year, so it looks like we'll be going to UNI or Seaworld. Either is much cheaper.

wendysue

When will enough be enough!? Ticket prices are an annual thing...sometimes 2 times a year! When will it be too much to even "think" about going to a Disney park!? I was gung-ho on helping others plan their trips, but I am starting to get away from that! ALOT of the average guests cannot afford much more above the current prices. It makes me angry that I most likely will not be able to go because of one factor being high priced admissions! Make me sad, to think Disney and other Parks are limiting their 'audiences' to those who are well off in the financial department! Makes me not want to promote a Disney vacation with anyone! I just hope they too that into account when raising prices!

I agree. A family member asked me to help her plan their trip, but when I showed her what we used to pay (not that long ago) and what it costs now, she changed her plans. I'm past being angry. Just over it. We bought new kitchen appliances instead. :)

Chef Mickey

I'm not sure what you believe I said anything about doom and gloom, or anything about catastrophes. However, I will firmly admit that I think the economy will eventually slow (it always does) and Disney has almost backed themselves into a corner by using price increases as their main solution to handle crowds.
What corner specifically? The worst drop they’ve had in operating income at parks was 25% but still made $1.4B? Was it down? Sure, but it wasn’t that bad considering the S&P500 dropped 50% from highs and the world financial system was in jeopardy of crumbling.

The, I guess you didn’t say catastrophe although I swore I saw it. Still, same answer with you saying “not pretty.”

I’ll add the Disney drop in 2008 and 2009 was far more related to the macro economy than it was to how Disney ran their parks business. Everything was getting crushed. 25% down at the parks was quite decent performance given the worst economy since the 1930s..

tirian

Meh, not unexpected. Folks whine about not enough new X, declining maintenance, crowds, etc but when Disney makes a move to address them and it involves increased costs they balk.

View attachment 382191
...Except the drastic increases aren’t necessary for the needed expansions and updates, and this is just another item in a long list of price gouging “Guests.”

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why would there be? You can't show up at the grocery story today and demand yesterday's milk price because they didn't announce to CNN that the price would go up.

Unlike the grocery store... your AP renewal date is not something you buy on a chance... it's a calendar based thing. There are plenty of people that will get burned by the 'surprise' announcements that would have been buying anyways but just didn't need to QUITE yet.. and Disney's release schedule hurts them without prejudice.

Disney could easily say 'any renewals DUE within this set window' would pay the rate. Or... Disney could simply goto a fixed calendar instead of Surprise pricing changes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Inversely, I paid a fortune for a cruise on the Dream last month but it wasn't overly crowded and the service was impeccable. At least I know what I paid for. We did a couple days in the parks after the cruise and it was the polar opposite.

Go at a better time of year and pay like half the cost :) Last time I paid for my parents and in-laws to have their own cabins and come on our cruise. It was only like $2300/couple for a 7 day cruise right after Holloween. I used to spend (all in) roughly $8k on a cruise for 5 of us. It was a premium... but not crazy. And as you say, you feel the service difference.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In other words, the APs may have been under-priced to begin with, making this a market correction rather than a reflection of new offerings.

Yet... the demand didn't overrun the AP supply (ability for Disney to cope and shoulder it).. so while it may have been a value, it certainly wasn't being swamped that needed a correction.

The pricing chart doesn't show a 'correction' either.. it shows an increasing climb.

BoarderPhreak

Not sure what you’re talking about. I can post the numbers if you want. We must have different definitions of catastrophic because they were still very profitable.
Nobody said anything about catastrophic, but you did say "Disney Parks did just fine." Attendance dropped considerably. Not as bad as after 9/11, which at the time caused the cancellation of (already in progress) resort expansion at Pop Century - and other capital expenditures. As @MansionButler84 also pointed out:

...They literally closed a resort and we suffered reduced investment for 10 years which necessitated the current expansion. The sad thing is, 10 years ago they could build awesome rides for a mere $100,000,000. Imagine if the current level of investment had been spread over the last 10 years.

IMDREW

I’m really broken right now. I am from overseas, so my cheapest option is the Platinum Pass. For me to renew, it just became $225 more. Why are they so against overseas AP holders? We have to have the most expensive AP and we can’t pay monthly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know if I fall into the typical non-Florida resident AP Holder category, but this increase is a major FU to me, the loyal guest. I have as of lately been making 3-4 trips/year about 25 days in total. I've been Platinum Plus since becoming an AP Holder and I'm not going to give up on my AP, but most likely downgrade to a gold. As a DVC member I have this ability (for now), but for non-DVC and non-Florida residents who can't go this route, it's a major burden.

One can argue that it's just for SWGE and after that it will stabilize, but then the next excuse to raise it will be the 50th anniversary, Tron, Epcot 40, New Epcot, etc. it's unending...

On a fundamental level: here’s what it says to me - the longtime loyal customer:

“Thanks for getting us here...we appreciate it. However our current management is willing to risk/sacrifice your loyalty for the longterm. You have held us up in good times and bad...being loyal to what are actually aging parks. But we have promise Wall Street that you will pay more for that aging slate of hotels, rides and buffets.

Don’t take it personally - it’s just business. And today Don Iger rejects satan and settles all family business”

Or something like that

JeffH

Florida Resident Disney Platinum Pass – Renewal went from
$619.00+$40.24tax=$659.24 ($54.94/month 0% financed) to
$764.00+$49.66tax=$813.66 ($67.81/month 0% financed), which I just bought (unfortunately)
in the future, I will renew exactly the moment my 60 day renewal period starts, too bad they don't grandfather the old renewal prices in for those within their renewal window. I also wish DVC members (who have NO monthly payment option) got a discount for paying it all up front (which saves Disney a lot of money managing their 0% financing, not to mention the interest gained)

trainplane3

Disney could learn a thing or two from playing RCT. No joke.
You're right! $5 bathrooms and No Entry signs everywhere! Force guest flow and make money from their suffering!
If somebody would come up with a good new version of that game - I’d pay $1219 for that...been far too long
It's called Planet Coaster or Parkitect, depending on what you want. A resource heavy game or something closer to RCT2.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Go at a better time of year and pay like half the cost :) Last time I paid for my parents and in-laws to have their own cabins and come on our cruise. It was only like $2300/couple for a 7 day cruise right after Holloween. I used to spend (all in) roughly $8k on a cruise for 5 of us. It was a premium... but not crazy. And as you say, you feel the service difference.
I love the roll you’re on here...

Except this. DCL can never be held up as a “good deal”. No sir. It’s one of the most overpriced travel items on the entire planet.

Considering what can be bought for far less from the competitors...dcl is just not happening on that front.

As far as prices/APs goes...I’ll just use this as an anecdote. In 2015 I had a royal Caribbean point score (nights traveled) of 7...by February of 2020 I’ll have something like 49? My kids will have in the high 30s.

Who paid the price for a lot of those days? That would be the Walt Disney company. It’s more than JUST the bob’s prices...but that contribution cannot be marginalized.

durangojim

Totally bummed. This will be the last year that I buy APs for my family of four because we already have all our trips planned for the next 10 months and it still makes more sense to renew or upgrade to an AP. However after that it’s unlikely that more than one if any of us will have an AP.

durangojim

Can anyone explain to me why only Florida residents are offered multiple types of APs unlike Universal who offers all AP types to everyone?

PeoplemoverTTA

I think we may have reached our breaking point. This one has my husband ranting 😂 When I was a single gal in my early 20s, I bought my first AP in 2004. It was just over $400. Even with inflation, nearly tripling the price is a bit much, no? Add in $6 pretzels, $25 a night to park...I mean honestly, am I riding triple the rides in the park now?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom