News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

Dr.GrantSeeker

With the additional income these AP price increases are to bring in, I can say that Disney can definitely afford to employ me now. I'll be expecting that call any moment.

Aaaaaannnny moment....

*10 days later* any moment

jaklgreen

It is a big price hike but I am not surprised. You do feel sticker shock when paying all at once for an AP. But it depends on how often you go. My daughters and I just got back and I got them a 7 day hopper pass for that trip. I get an AP since I go again in October by myself. Well my oldest is planning on going again later in the year with her friend so I upgraded her pass while we were there. I am a DVC member so go Florida resident price and it was only $83 more to upgrade her to the Florida Gold pass. APs might be a bit under priced but I don't think that they should have done such a bit price increase in one shot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The blackouts, as I recall are Christmas/New Year and Easter. Not a major impact on my family life as we ruled out those dates a long time ago as the parks became more manic and wall to wall people during those particular holidays.

Actually I used to think that being in the same demographics...

We did a little “experiment”last year and I was surprised to find that the Easter/holiday/Christmas periods were less frustrating than the week we went in the dead of winter.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Actually I used to think that being in the same demographics...

We did a little “experiment”last year and I was surprised to find that the Easter/holiday/Christmas periods were less frustrating than the week we went in the dead of winter.
One word, (ok two words) Reduced Capacity. This has plagued January/February for the past few years which was otherwise a perfect time to go.

disneyflush

When I took my family 3 weeks ago the crowds were overwhelming. The standbye lines for any moderately popular attraction were very rarely under an hour and most around 90-120 minutes. We don't plan to go back for a number of reasons but if we did then I'd be all for increasing the tickets drastically to cut back on the number of people that go. I'd love to believe Walt is smiling down with a big thumbs up for his creation being affordable for everyone but we crossed that bridge a while back collectively. At this point just raise the price to $250 a day and adjust as needed. Given the crowds and fervor I doubt $250 would even bring a 5% reduction in attendance but they need to start somewhere if guest experience is an actual factor in decisions.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They WANT a decrease in attendance. Iger literally said so on one of the recent earnings calls. Managing attendance through price is exactly the goal, otherwise the guest experience goes to hell with the crowds.

I remember seeing that quote, but I still can’t help but wonder if it was just lip service. They want/have to hit their quarterly numbers, and increase PGS every quarter, and fewer people in the parks, even if they are being charged more to get in, wouldn’t make up for that reduction, would it? It’s a good bit of number crunching I don’t have the wherewithal to make happen, I’m not an accountant. ;)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I remember seeing that quote, but I still can’t help but wonder if it was just lip service. They want/have to hit their quarterly numbers, and increase PGS every quarter, and fewer people in the parks, even if they are being charged more to get in, wouldn’t make up for that reduction, would it? It’s a good bit of number crunching I don’t have the wherewithal to make happen, I’m not an accountant. ;)

Absolute lip service. They want as many bodies inside the gates as permissible by the fire code. The quarterly numbers are everything to TWDC. That goal is incompatible with lower attendance.

Just hoping there is no economic downturn soon. Because corporate has setup a real house of cards here.

MySmallWorldof4

Hmm, I had already decided to let my WDW AP pass expire, and started considering a UNI pass for this next year. I wonder if UNI passes will jump after this? Anyone know if they do,historically, after Disney raises?
We bought Uni passes this year. They were raised right before we bought them in April. Regardless, for a blackout pass /(holidays and part of summer), it was just over $500 per person. We bought one higher tiered AP for the dining and merch discounts. So for a family of 6 that live in PA, and may go twice in a calendar year, way more reasonable than Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One word, (ok two words) Reduced Capacity. This has plagued January/February for the past few years which was otherwise a perfect time to go.

As in less hours and less employees?

Absolutely...there is a direct operational link that was apparent to me. But I’m not a novice.

Selling those “low season” add on to get the days to 10 pm with added revenue doesn’t help either

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just in case anyone cared about DVC Pricing

Disney Platinum Plus Pass New Purchase: $999, was $849
Disney Platinum Plus Pass Renewal: $849, was $721
Disney Platinum Pass New Purchase: $899, was $749
Disney Platinum Pass Renewal : $764, was $636

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wish they would offer the EPCOT After 4 pass to DVC members (regardless of where the member lives)!
I could live with that.

They reality is there isn’t a reason NOT to do so...

There isn’t a “fine line” between those that want full day access and those that just want to drink...to pretend there is is just silly.

Another policy I hate is the monthly plan one. I don’t like the lump sum park payments. It’s just more palatable to pay monthly on something like that. But they have to work the revenue numbers - I suppose - even if they mean nothing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just in case anyone cared about DVC Pricing

Disney Platinum Plus Pass New Purchase: $999, was $849
Disney Platinum Plus Pass Renewal: $849, was $721
Disney Platinum Pass New Purchase: $899, was $749
Disney Platinum Pass Renewal : $764, was $636

$150 basically across the board.

Weren’t gonna get (already have) a ton of over-simplistic, rudimentary basic Econ quips about the micro curve on this...that’s always cute - if clueless.

Step back and try not to be a financial genius: an increase of that size is a MAJOR change. No way to change that. Even on a “luxury good”. Just can’t put a face on it other than a cash grab/gouge. It is.

That’s not a discussion point for “individual truth”. Now whether that affects how you take it, is another story. Debate that away.

CJR

We were discussing crowd reduction at the time, which is why I suggested killing off non-Platinum APs. Just as you confirmed, it would kill off the incentive of locals of showing up just to hang around.

The problem with this option is that it would curb attendance on the wrong days and would actually cause it to rise on the days that they need it reduced most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom