News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Check out the green bars for profit. Disney did better during the Great Recession than five years prior to that.

View attachment 382376
To be fair, the effects of the Great Recession weren't truly felt until after 2008, plus people most likely already booked their tris way in advance. The true story you can see from your graph (which as an excel freak I thoroughly enjoy!) is 2009 - 2012 which were dismal years.

BoarderPhreak

To be fair, the effects of the Great Recession weren't truly felt until after 2008, plus people most likely already booked their tris way in advance. The true story you can see from your graph (which as an excel freak I thoroughly enjoy!) is 2009 - 2012 which were dismal years.
Exactly... Things were still falling apart in 2008 (though it started in 2007). 2009-2012 are the real indicators.

Witness this typical example from a BANG stock, which rises during recessions:

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 8.09.59 AM.png

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It doesn't equate because they aren't the same. Concerts are not theme parks. You can't just lump together anything "entertaining" into one bucket. You already know this though, you are just being argumentative. A round of golf doesn't equate to a Billy Joel concert or a night at the Borgata or a day at Hershey Park. These are all vastly different experiences that should not be compared.

If I were just trying to be argumentative I would try quite a lot harder and from a much different angle. Sure, it's a lot different than a night at the Borgata or day at Hershey Park, but that doesn't mean it is never the same..or to show a bit of ability to be flexible in my position, incredibly similar. To use your theory, the Borgata and Hershey Park wouldn't compare either.

Here are the concerts at the parks for 2019.

Universal Orlando
  • BUSH
  • Gavin DeGraw
  • Dan + Shay
  • Macklemore
  • Sabrina Carpenter
  • Becky G
  • Sean Paul
  • Steve Miller Band
  • Ziggy Marley
  • Pitbull
  • Bazzi
  • Prince Royce
Epcot
  • Journey former lead vocalist Steve Augeri
  • Glass Tiger
  • Jon Anderson of Yes
  • Tony Orlando
  • Wang Chung
  • Simple Plan
  • Ambrosia
  • Magic Giant
  • Air Supply
  • Berlin, featuring Terri Nunn
  • The Smithereens
  • Rick Springfield
  • Christopher Cross
  • The Spinners
  • Dennis DeYoung, original member of the group Styx
  • John Michael Montgomery
  • Sister Sledge
  • Night Ranger
  • Sister Hazel
  • Steven Curtis Chapman
  • TobyMac
  • Lonestar
  • The Orchestra, starring former members of ELO
  • Herman’s Hermits, starring Peter Noone
  • Don Felder, formerly of The Eagles
  • A Flock of Seagulls
  • Marshall Tucker Band
  • Peabo Bryson
  • Richard Marx
  • Starship, starring Mickey Thomas
  • Colin Hay of Men at Work
  • War
  • The Guess Who
  • Jon Secada
  • Blood, Sweat and Tears
  • Eddie Palmieri
SeaWorld
  • The Commodores
  • 38 Special
  • Lindsey Stirling
  • Better Than Ezra with Tonic
  • Olga Tañon
  • Sammy Kershaw, Aaron Tippin & Collin Raye
  • Jay Leno
  • Andy Grammer
  • Collective Soul
  • Tenth Avenue North
  • Postmodern Jukebox
  • Willie Colón
  • Macy Gray
  • Earth, Wind & Fire
Busch Gardens
  • Daughtry
  • The Band Perry
  • 3 Doors Down
  • Fred Eaglesmith, Kathleen Edwards & Blue Rodeo
  • Justin Moore
  • El Gran Combo
  • Stone Temple Pilots
  • Josh Turner
  • Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  • Boys II Men
  • Edwin McCain & Vertical Horizon
  • Hunter Hayes & Levi Hummon
  • Mat Kearney
  • Walk Off The Earth
  • Foreigner

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly... Things were still falling apart in 2008 (though it started in 2007). 2009-2012 are the real indicators.

Witness this typical example from a BANG stock, which rises during recessions:

View attachment 382395

I think penger’s point - and it’s a good one - is that they managed to turn aspects of the real estate crash in their longterm favor and you have to give them credit for that.

In the past - that type of financial scenario would have been crushing to Disney’s bottom line.

I warned at the time - and unfortunately was right - that their coupon scheme would end up costing the customers a lot off the rebound. It has. But from Disney’s perspective it was a very impressive plan...longterm be damned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I were just trying to be argumentative I would try quite a lot harder and from a much different angle. Sure, it's a lot different than a night at the Borgata or day at Hershey Park, but that doesn't mean it is never the same..or to show a bit of ability to be flexible in my position, incredibly similar. To use your theory, the Borgata and Hershey Park wouldn't compare either.

Here are the concerts at the parks for 2019.

Universal Orlando
  • BUSH
  • Gavin DeGraw
  • Dan + Shay
  • Macklemore
  • Sabrina Carpenter
  • Becky G
  • Sean Paul
  • Steve Miller Band
  • Ziggy Marley
  • Pitbull
  • Bazzi
  • Prince Royce
Epcot
  • Journey former lead vocalist Steve Augeri
  • Glass Tiger
  • Jon Anderson of Yes
  • Tony Orlando
  • Wang Chung
  • Simple Plan
  • Ambrosia
  • Magic Giant
  • Air Supply
  • Berlin, featuring Terri Nunn
  • The Smithereens
  • Rick Springfield
  • Christopher Cross
  • The Spinners
  • Dennis DeYoung, original member of the group Styx
  • John Michael Montgomery
  • Sister Sledge
  • Night Ranger
  • Sister Hazel
  • Steven Curtis Chapman
  • TobyMac
  • Lonestar
  • The Orchestra, starring former members of ELO
  • Herman’s Hermits, starring Peter Noone
  • Don Felder, formerly of The Eagles
  • A Flock of Seagulls
  • Marshall Tucker Band
  • Peabo Bryson
  • Richard Marx
  • Starship, starring Mickey Thomas
  • Colin Hay of Men at Work
  • War
  • The Guess Who
  • Jon Secada
  • Blood, Sweat and Tears
  • Eddie Palmieri
SeaWorld
  • The Commodores
  • 38 Special
  • Lindsey Stirling
  • Better Than Ezra with Tonic
  • Olga Tañon
  • Sammy Kershaw, Aaron Tippin & Collin Raye
  • Jay Leno
  • Andy Grammer
  • Collective Soul
  • Tenth Avenue North
  • Postmodern Jukebox
  • Willie Colón
  • Macy Gray
  • Earth, Wind & Fire
Busch Gardens
  • Daughtry
  • The Band Perry
  • 3 Doors Down
  • Fred Eaglesmith, Kathleen Edwards & Blue Rodeo
  • Justin Moore
  • El Gran Combo
  • Stone Temple Pilots
  • Josh Turner
  • Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  • Boys II Men
  • Edwin McCain & Vertical Horizon
  • Hunter Hayes & Levi Hummon
  • Mat Kearney
  • Walk Off The Earth
  • Foreigner

No one off events and parks - or regional amusements - can be accurately drawn upon to make conclusions about prices for Disney parks.

Because it’s such a larger commitment to travel to Disney parks for the vast majority.

Sure, theater tickets can be $300-500+ And that’s a higher minute by minute cost...but it’s not for 5-7 days average with huge ancillary costs guaranteed.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No one off events and parks - or regional amusements - can be accurately drawn upon to make conclusions about prices for Disney parks.

Because it’s such a larger commitment to travel to Disney parks for the vast majority.

Sure, theater tickets can be $300-500+ And that’s a higher minute by minute cost...but it’s not for 5-7 days average with huge ancillary costs guaranteed.

I don't disagree with you completely, but there are a lot of people here who buy a single day ticket or fun card for access to one of the concerts I mentioned. I even know a few people who bought an annual pass and only go for the concerts because they feel there's value in it.

These aren't one-off events, they're annual events with changing entertainers.

ToTBellHop

I don't disagree with you completely, but there are a lot of people here who buy a single day ticket or fun card for access to one of the concerts I mentioned. I even know a few people who bought an annual pass and only go for the concerts because they feel there's value in it.

These aren't one-off events, they're annual events with changing entertainers.
I've never been, but is there a meet&grope on offer? Can I Fastpass+ that?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does anyone know approximately how many AP live in FL as compared to California?

Exact numbers are not available...but it’s not close.

Now almost two decades ago in my day....the assumption was that maybe 10% of WDW customers were annuals or locals on a given day...

Disneyland it can legitimately be 25-40% on average.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...and who couldn't give a flying rat's behind what happens to the parks or those who enjoy them once he's gone. Even if it means destroying the joy, it's all about getting those millions of dollars he will never spend before he dies.
In a word: yes.

That’s all our problem. I’ve spent 10 years advising people to not be so stupid and paying more for less and encourage the guy at the top. Because of exactly what you just identified.

But you can’t teach common sense

VaderTron

option one cuts into revenue though....option 2 costs them nothing.

Option 2 actually can cost them something, depending on how people respond. While there are some people who don't care about prices and will spend whatever to do whatever, most people have a budget or at least a set amount that they can stomach shelling out before the cost ruins the enjoyment. These park-goers are only going to spend so much. So, once they reach that amount they will modify their itinerary or eliminate some purchases. If they choose to keep an AP they may now downgrade a tier to absorb the price hike. If they stay at the same AP tier they may book a cheaper room (Disney moderate instead of Deluxe, Value instead of Moderate, pool room instead of 1 bedroom, standard view instead of garden view, etc.) or just stay off-site at a hotel/house that offers more space for the same price (giving Disney a negative profit). For those who must stay on-site they may eat at lower-cost restaurants. Instead of the Signatures they usually book, they might do some moderate ADR's, mix in some quick-service or even (dare I say it) eat at a non-Disney restaurant nearby. Perhaps they don't splurge on that dinner show (never seen so many openings for Hoop de Doo or the Spirit of Aloha shows in my life), or they limit themselves on drinks, and even ignore that souvenir they normally would have bought. (See: Banshee discount pile in Windtraders).

The point is, option 2 costs something. It just moves the loses around. The question is will there be enough increased revenue to overtake those losses significantly enough that the results aren't too flat? I don't even think Disney is that confident they will since they took the same opportunity to announce an immediate and a second, future increase in hotel parking charges.

What we will see in the short-term is exactly what Disney wants from all of this. More out of state and out of country visitors who spend spend spend. The question will be, how many more of those guests will they be able to attract than they already are getting? Because that's the only way to offset the inevitable losses on the AP side of things.

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

With Legoland opening outside of NYC and the new massive indoor Nickelodeon theme park and indoor Dreamworks water park not far from there in New Jersey, how many families on the East Coast will be taking long weekends to this destination rather than go to WDW in 2020. Even a fraction of a percentage point is enough to have a massive impact on the Mouse.

VaderTron

Exact numbers are not available...but it’s not close.

Now almost two decades ago in my day....the assumption was that maybe 10% of WDW customers were annuals or locals on a given day...

Disneyland it can legitimately be 25-40% on average.

If you are correct and 10% are AP then all the "this is to address overcrowding issues" people are flat out wrong. You don't change crowding issues by angering and chasing off a small percentage of a small percentage! If as many as 25% of AP didn't renew and there were no new AP to replace them that's still just 2.5% of total attendance. That's not enough change to even knock 5 min off the average wait time for rides.

Further proof this is just a cash grab.

VaderTron

I'm relieved that I renewed my Platinum pass in February. $800 at that time felt like a lot of money. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford that renewal next year, which feels like the saddest thought in the world, but one I've been coming to terms with since Disney park prices across the board increase. It doesn't feel like a place I can afford, despite it being my favorite place in the world.

I'll have to make this final AP count and give it a proper send off.

Ironic that the 50 year anniversary of WDW will probably be celebrated by mostly people who have never been to Disney World before. It's like inviting all strangers to your grandparent's 50th and none of the family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom