Annoying parents who put their kids on shoulders

Hi, I too put my daughter on my shoulders when at the parks.

I like to do marathon stays at the parks. 10-12 hours with little breaks. And my 5 year old daughter gets tired. So it is easy for me to put her up on my shoulders so she can rest. Try carrying a 55lb-5 year old for 5 hours in your arms, it is not fun. She will never fall, trust me.

There are tons of rude people at the parks. Lets start the "Keep your kids from crying" Thread, or the "Stop your kids from touching my butt in line" Thread. I mean come on how many times have you been in line and have to wait for someone who cannot get it that you have to be so tall to ride the ride.

If you cannot see the parade, then go in February when crowds are light. June, July and August are crowded and you will have people standing in your way.

joelleharbert

Oh, enough already people! Yes, Disney is for children and adults alike and I've been there both with my children and without. But, you know what? If I'm standing in the front watching the parade and I saw a kid trying to look around me, I would hope I'd have the graciousness to move a little so that kid could see. And I'm 5"2', so unfortunately there are children taller than me. So a parent puts their kid on their shoulder. So what? Get a grip, people. Forget about that stinking video recorder. Enjoy the moment. You're stressing yourself out too much over a stupid video that you'll maybe watch once when you get home. :brick:

MouseMadness

Darth Angelo said:
Hi, I too put my daughter on my shoulders when at the parks.

I put my kids on my shoulders... everywhere :lol: If we've been walking a while, and their legs are tired, I'll give them a boost.

I didn't realize until this thread that I was jeopardizing their safety :eek: :lookaroun

mcstensrud

I happen to be short and have no children, But I also agree that if you want a good view of the parade then make it a priority to stop riding rides and find a good spot early.Even if that means some one has to sit there for 45 min to an hour.

I was in line for Splash Mountain last year and a father and son were ahead of us (son on shoulders)They were having a great time until Right before you take a right to head down the final ramp son's head hit a low beam really hard! Can you say Fun Over!!!!!!!!:cry: Quickly.

RustyBridges

Reading through the threads it seems this is more of a courtesy problem.

We were at Disney in June. We found a spot with a clear view to watch the Share a Dream Come True parade. We were in our spot about 30 minutes before the parade. Then about 2 minutes before the parade is about to start a mom and her kids are walking down main street and plop right in front of us. I was not upset at first because the kids could see and that mom's kids could see. I will gladly give up my seat for a child to see the parade. I am above average height and will just move back. What annoyed me was that as soon as the parade started the mom began taking pictures and stood right in front of my kids making them look around her to see anything. It is not the end of the world since my kids have seen the parade before but it just shows the lack of common courtesy that occurs.

I have been in other situations where I had to put my son or daughter on my shoulders because someone stands right in front of them while watching parades, fireworks, etc. I have no problem with others doing it because usually the child could not see otherwise. I can honestly say that if I saw someone video taping I would make my best effort not to get in the way, but sometimes you can't help it.

We went to MNSSHP last year. During the parade we were sitting with a large group of people. Almost everyone had kids in the same age range. All parents moved to the back and let all the kids sit up front to watch the parade. It was very nice to sit with people who understood that we could all stand back and let the kids enjoy the parade sitting up close. Everyone enjoyed the parades, especially the kids and that was a great Disney moment for all the parents involved.

Sometimes common sense is the simplest solutions to a complex problem.

NASAMan

The title of the original post says it all. When do parents who carry kids on their shoulders become annoying? Most parents do it, and safety issue aside (at a recent visit i saw a young infant slide out of her Disney stroller and the parents, not noticing, ran her over. So safety issues apply to many other ways to transport kids) it is generally not a problem as you walk through the park, or in some case, waiting in lines. So where is it annoying? (Remember in each case it is the parent who should be held at fault.)

1) When the kid is eating something that has the ability to drip, splash or crumble onto somebody passing or standing by.
2) When the kid obstructs the parents view by wiggling or with their hands, causing the parent to bump into others.
3) During an event when the kid can obstruct the view of said event for others. Instead, hold the child on your hip, where you can now enjoy the experience with you kid and talk to them.
4) On any transportation vehicle (bus, monorail, ferry) that has the likelyhood of being crowded. I have been kicked in the head too many times.
5) When the kid has a toy or souvenir that has the ability to impact others.

It is easy to be a bad parent and raise rude kids. But it does them no good. If you want to watch Fireworks or Parade, get to a spot early and save a place. If you come in at the last minute, stand in the back (against a wall for support) and place your kid up high to see it. As the parent, you must guage how the actions of you and your child are effecting others around you, and act accordingly. This is not only the polite thing to do, but the desent thing to do.

One last thing: Don't be afraid to talk to people around you: "Would anybody mind if I put my kid on my shoulders?" This happened recently in our earshot. Somebody said "Yes, I'd mind!" So we invited the child to sit at the curb with us (we waited about an hour for the parade) and had a great time helping her make a Magical Memory.

eroyee

:wave: CP17: we always stop early and sit on a curb for usually at least an hour to wait for the parade. However, some rude ignorant person usually comes and stands right in front of us and it isnt usually kids! so have to come up with a better idea than that!!:hammer:

silentb0b said:
is anyone else humming "short people" by randy newman?

Omigod, my friend Matt is only, like, 5'4, and whenever he's around, my 6'3 Dad can't help but hum that song! I thought he was making it up, especially the part about, "they got little hands, and little feet..." but then we were driving back from dinner, and it was on the radio!!! I was flabbergasted! (And laughed my *** off!)

nelsonj3

I don't even care about the video. I just want to be able to see. I'm only 5'9, and when a parent, even at the same height as me puts their child on their shoulders, it adds 2-3 feet to their height. Therefore you have 7-8 ft of combined height in front of you. That is a problem.

It really is frustrating when you've waited for what you feel like is a good spot, and it looks like a great spot because you can see perfectly. Then, all of the sudden, someone right in front of you hoists their child up on their shoulders and you can't see. I guess as long as people are courteous and try to move so that everyone can see, I don't mind too much, but really, it isn't all about your child. There are other people in the park too.

joelleharbert said:
Oh, enough already people! Yes, Disney is for children and adults alike and I've been there both with my children and without. But, you know what? If I'm standing in the front watching the parade and I saw a kid trying to look around me, I would hope I'd have the graciousness to move a little so that kid could see. And I'm 5"2', so unfortunately there are children taller than me. So a parent puts their kid on their shoulder. So what? Get a grip, people. Forget about that stinking video recorder. Enjoy the moment. You're stressing yourself out too much over a stupid video that you'll maybe watch once when you get home. :brick:

nelsonj3

RustyBridges said:
We went to MNSSHP last year. During the parade we were sitting with a large group of people. Almost everyone had kids in the same age range. All parents moved to the back and let all the kids sit up front to watch the parade. It was very nice to sit with people who understood that we could all stand back and let the kids enjoy the parade sitting up close. Everyone enjoyed the parades, especially the kids and that was a great Disney moment for all the parents involved.

Sometimes common sense is the simplest solutions to a complex problem.

That sounds like an excellent solution. I would gladly let ANY well-behaved child stand or sit in front of me if it would allow them to see. If the parents would all have the courtousy to stand back like you said, then everyone could see because all of the parents would be able to see over the children.

nelsonj3

NASAMan said:
It is easy to be a bad parent and raise rude kids. But it does them no good. If you want to watch Fireworks or Parade, get to a spot early and save a place. If you come in at the last minute, stand in the back (against a wall for support) and place your kid up high to see it. As the parent, you must guage how the actions of you and your child are effecting others around you, and act accordingly. This is not only the polite thing to do, but the desent thing to do.

Excellent point!!!! If people would just stop to think about others before they act, things would be much more pleasant. And you are right, it is very easy to raise rude children. For some reason, parents these days are afraid to discipline their children at all. As a teacher, I see it all the time. It is always the same: the best behaved children have the best parents!

So, kudos to you parents who teach your children manners by example!

slappy magoo

rcapolete said:
I have been carrying my son on my shoulders for three years now and have never come even close to having him fall cause i hold on to him. I wil say that i don't carry him in a crowded area, but while walking in WDW where there aren't alot of people my son loves being on my shoulders. Also how can they condone this practice cause if i am not mistaking didn't they show a father with his son on his shoulders wearing a mickey ear hat in there commercials as well as a mother with her daughter on her shoulder on their web page for Epcot. As seen in the link below. Now that would be ckind of hipocrytical (sp) http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=EPLandingPage

Sorry, I couldn't resist this comparison...

There was a commercial for WDW a few years ago that showed a small dog, I thnk a Jack Russell terrier, running free and unobstructed at WDW. RIding rides, meeting Mickey, etc. At the end of the commercial, it turns out the dog was just dreaming, kicking his little dog-legs in his REM-state. But I often wondered how many stupid people assumed this meant WDW now had a "let your unleashed dogs come in and ride the rides" policy? And how many were upset when they came to the MK with their dogs and were told where the kennel was. So, I'm just assuming, if commercials can bend the rules with dogs, they can probably bend the rules with kids on shoulders. Heck, chances are the advertising teams and the people behind WDW's legal teams hardly ever talk beyond stuff that could get them sued for slander or libel.

And TINKERLOR, thanks heaps. :D

I have so many conflicting opinions...

1) Disney World is not all about kids. Young folks, old folks...we have all paid for the price of admission as well, so for parents to get upset that we (one 27 year old, two 23 year olds, and a 22 year old) were seated right on the curb at the Sharing a Dream Come True parade is incredibly rude.

We got to the curb about an hour before the show, then took turns going to get ice cream. We are all seated and ready to go about 15 min. before the parade, and this woman comes up to us with two children, and DEMANDS that we move so her kids can see.

I was astounded. I said, very politely, "I bet there's some room further down a ways...we've been here for about an hour." She snatches her kid's hands and says to them, "Too bad the grown ups need to steal all the little kids' spots for the parade, huh kids?"

2) On the flip side...there is nothing more fascinating that watching a child view a parade or show. They are so funny, so cute, and 75% of them are very well behaved. I can't stand people who, just because a little kid will call out "Belle!," or whisper to their parents, "Mom, it's Ariel! It's Ariel!" once or twice through a show, will get all upset and angry about those "obnoxious kids who ruined the show."

You're at Disney. There WILL be kids there, and as polite and respectful as parents can teach their kids to be, they are, inevitably, kids, and will act as such. If they see something new and fun, they'll call it out, because they're too excited not to.

NOW, Two paragraphs ago, change the scenery to AK at Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade, and something slightly similar happened, with completely different results. Friends and I had gotten seats about half an hour before the parade, when a family with a wheel chair and a little kid came by. They were about to start the parade, and they couldn't seem to find anywhere to sit.

So my friends and I got up, had them roll in behind us, and then we sat back down. Ten min. later, the little 4 year old girl comes up to me, taps me on the shoulder, and says, "Thank you so much for lettin' me see'd the parade. Kin I sit on your lap, please?"

I almost cried, she was so cute. AND her name was Amy. I wanted to take her home...;)

So I guess, to me, it's not so much about kids on shoulders. My dad used to do that for us ALL the time. I do it for the triplets we babysit for. It's just a natural thing for parents to do. But we always make sure we're behind everyone, so all the people have a good view.

It's all about the different circumstances. If you're nice and polite, hopefully it will be reflected back on you...

wdwhoneymooner

As a parent of two small children, my immediate reaction to this post was "Get over it...." but after some thought, I find myself siding with DisneyDude2000. After all, he was there first and invested his time in waiting for a spot. Although I may understand why the parent placed his child on his shoulders, his actions perhaps were done with some degree of apathy ("My child can't see and since we traveled all this way, s/he's gonna see this") without immediate consideration for others. But I don't think there was any malice or rudeness behind it. He was thinking like a loving Dad who wanted his kid to enjoy himself. Unfortunately it blocked someone else's view. I've found it very effective @ wdw to explain a situation like this with the other "offending" guest and we find a civil resolution without any hard feelings. I usually joke about the situation abit to diffuse the problem.

We always try to be aware of our surroundings while visiting wdw. Anytime we've waited a spell for a parade we always take a peek behind us when it starts to offer any small kids a chance to switch places with my wife and I. In fact, the last time we ended up having a great time conversing with the other parents while the kiddies enjoyed themselves with the sights.

RustyBridges

wdwhoneymooner said:
We always try to be aware of our surroundings while visiting wdw. Anytime we've waited a spell for a parade we always take a peek behind us when it starts to offer any small kids a chance to switch places with my wife and I. In fact, the last time we ended up having a great time conversing with the other parents while the kiddies enjoyed themselves with the sights.

You hit the nail on the head. Being aware of your surroundings and courtesy will clear up a lot of these issues.

niteobsrvr

Not to get too off topic here but....Do you know what I miss?

I miss the days when parents disciplined their children for not obeying them. I miss parents who actually kept their children within a few very short feet of them. I miss people who are courteous. I miss people who understood the difference between a right and a priveledge. I miss people who say excuse me or i'm sorry without a sarcastic tone. I miss people who walk on the right. I miss people who have respect for other people. I miss people who use their strollers for their babies and very small children to ride in instead of using them as rolling luggae carts for their 10 year olds.

I could go one here but I think you all get the idea. Every generation has lamented that the next one is more rude than the previous. Some people think it is just selective memory. I think we just stop noticing how things have changed because it is easier than admitting we have become more callous and jaded over the years.

ilovepluto23

I think at WDW, kids are THE most important guests of all the ages there.

However, the parents should be considerate when putting their kids on their shoulders and try to find a spot that doesn't bother other guests.

ilovepluto23

niteobsrvr said:
Not to get too off topic here but....Do you know what I miss?

I miss the days when parents disciplined their children for not obeying them. I miss parents who actually kept their children within a few very short feet of them. I miss people who are courteous. I miss people who understood the difference between a right and a priveledge. I miss people who say excuse me or i'm sorry without a sarcastic tone. I miss people who walk on the right. I miss people who have respect for other people. I miss people who use their strollers for their babies and very small children to ride in instead of using them as rolling luggae carts for their 10 year olds.

I could go one here but I think you all get the idea. Every generation has lamented that the next one is more rude than the previous. Some people think it is just selective memory. I think we just stop noticing how things have changed because it is easier than admitting we have become more callous and jaded over the years.

I agree! I won't be raising any ungrateful children, I promise you that.

I think the problem is that people just don't care anymore. People have the "satifsy ME" syndrome and they let their children run wild. Also, parents are "too busy" these days as well...they don't "have time" for their children. It's really sad.

CrashNet

Its simple really. The little guys (and girls) can't see over the towering people in front of them, so dad helps her but putting them on his shoulders. At Illuminations, we tell guests repeatedly that when the show begins, expect the people around you to stand up. Its going to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom