Annoying parents who put their kids on shoulders

rcapolete

The op issue should be with rude people not with parents who put their kids on their shoulders. I have done this numerous timew with both my son and my daughter. I make sure that i am not blocking people views if they were there first. The problem are people who have no concern for the poeple around them. Be it with a kid on the shoulders or just plan blocking people.

nelsonj3

I agree that kids sitting on parents' shoulders is annoying. However, it doesn't usually bother me too much unless the people in question are standing right in front of me (or if they have pushed their way in front of me).

I also agree that it isn't safe. To those parents who do put their children on their shoulders: How would you feel if your child suddenly lost their grip/balance, or they accidentally fell for any reason at all? Even if you aren't particularly tall, the injury to a small child could be very severe. Is it really worth that just so they can see the fireworks a little better?

My parents never put me or my younger siblings on their shoulders, and we have been visiting WDW since I was very young. In fact, my little brother once asked my dad to put him on his shoulders since several other kids were on their parents' shoulders, but my dad said no and explained that if he did that, other people wouldn't be able to see. Then, we got creative and everyone shifted around a bit so that my little brother could see. I guess my parents always taught me to always be courteous and polite to other people. Some parents these days don't even know the meaning of those words.

I think it is perfectly fine to try to be sure that your child enjoys his/her WDW Vacation to the fullest. However, it isn't okay to do so at the expense of other guests or at the child's safety. I've also seen parents allow their children to sit or stand on railings in order to get better views of shows and parades. Usually and luckily, a CM will come by to tell the children not to stand or sit on the railings. However, it is sad that the parents let the children do it in the first place.

Also, someone mentioned above that WDW is really all for kids. This couldn't be further from the truth. WDW is for everyone. When Walt imagined both WDW and Disneyland, he imagined parks where both parents and children could enjoy themselves together. Therefore, it isn't all about the kids, it's about everyone who comes to the parks.

MickeyTigg

goofntink said:
For the 1st time the Cm's at the check-in mentioned rule in Hotel brochure."No in-line skating in the resorts or themeparks sidewalks or parking lot areas.Please ask a castmember for locations for approved skating areas."Was shown to guests checking in ahead of us who two kids were skating around on there heelez in the lobby. CM check-in clerk asked them to remove them and leave them in there vehicle for the duration of there stay.:sohappy:

They're not inforcing this at all. We saw dozens of kids with those shoes when we went in June and no one said anything to anyone.

LilDucky

Eh, it's kinda annoying, but it's no better than the child squirming and ramming my butt constantly :lookaroun I'm sure it's no fun for them either :eek:

I shouldnt talk though. I know my Dad and Grandpa put me on their shoulders as a kid many, many, many :)lookaroun) times at Disneyland. And I'm not apologizing for it either. I'm glad I was able to fully view Fantasmic instead of the butt in front of me. Most of the time.... not a pretty sight :lookaroun

niteobsrvr

My solution for this problem is to not watch the parades or the fireworks very often.

I was at another park recently leaning againsta large artificial rock which gave me a clear view of the show. Soon, there were people sitting directly in front of me on top of the rock i was leaning on. To be fair, the part o the rock they were sitting on would have been considered out of bounds in a sporting event with such rules if you get my drift.

Anyway, I find the behaviour of most everyone deplorable when it comes to parade and fireworks viewing. Fortunately, I live here and eventually there is a recession that slows down vacationers enough that I can watch the shows in comfort.

niteobsrvr

nelsonj3 said:
Also, someone mentioned above that WDW is really all for kids. This couldn't be further from the truth. WDW is for everyone. When Walt imagined both WDW and Disneyland, he imagined parks where both parents and children could enjoy themselves together. Therefore, it isn't all about the kids, it's about everyone who comes to the parks.

LOL, actually it is for the parents or other people with enough money to pay to come to the parks. The kid factor is mostly guerrilla marketing. Get the kids to beleive they want to go to Disney World and then pressure the parents. That kind of marketing is priceless.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of kids I have seen at Disney who could give a rodents hind quarters about where they were and why.

nelsonj3

Good points. Although, I am sure that Walt intended the parks to be enjoyed by everyone. However, I know that Disney is definitely a business, and a business has to make money.

niteobsrvr said:
LOL, actually it is for the parents or other people with enough money to pay to come to the parks. The kid factor is mostly guerrilla marketing. Get the kids to beleive they want to go to Disney World and then pressure the parents. That kind of marketing is priceless.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of kids I have seen at Disney who could give a rodents hind quarters about where they were and why.

excellent points. Walt created Disneyland as a place where children and adult alike could enjoy the park together. I love being around children a lot, but they have any more rights than I do to be at the park. I love it just as much probably even more. But I do understand the points of why parents put children on their shoulders. EVERYONE big or small has a right to enjoy the parks.

Disneyfanman

This is kind of an incredible thread. I am not rude, and my kids used to go on my shoulders if they couldn't see. I would just stand toward the back so that I was not blocking anyone. Now that my kids are older they are on their own, but the issue is rudeness....not the kids sitting up there IMHO. I begin to wonder what things in life don't bother anyone. Jeesh.

rcapolete

I have been carrying my son on my shoulders for three years now and have never come even close to having him fall cause i hold on to him. I wil say that i don't carry him in a crowded area, but while walking in WDW where there aren't alot of people my son loves being on my shoulders. Also how can they condone this practice cause if i am not mistaking didn't they show a father with his son on his shoulders wearing a mickey ear hat in there commercials as well as a mother with her daughter on her shoulder on their web page for Epcot. As seen in the link below. Now that would be ckind of hipocrytical (sp) http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=EPLandingPage

niteobsrvr

rcapolete said:
I have been carrying my son on my shoulders for three years now and have never come even close to having him fall cause i hold on to him. I wil say that i don't carry him in a crowded area, but while walking in WDW where there aren't alot of people my son loves being on my shoulders. Also how can they condone this practice cause if i am not mistaking didn't they show a father with his son on his shoulders wearing a mickey ear hat in there commercials as well as a mother with her daughter on her shoulder on their web page for Epcot. As seen in the link below. Now that would be ckind of hipocrytical (sp) http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=EPLandingPage

Advertising is not reality(most of the time at least). Do you drive your car into a wall at moderate speed just to test the german engineering like Dr. Z from the chrysler commercial?

dreamteacher

I do not get annyode (SP) with it because: 1st off when I was a child my parents did that for me. and 2nd it is for the children most parents go for the childern to have fun.

rcapolete

Sorry but that is not a really good comparison. They are showing parents practicing something that people do all the time. To compare it to driving a car into a wall is kind of dumb sorry. If they did not want parents to walk with their kids on their shoulder they should then refrain from showing it being done in their commercials as well as their web site. Also it is explicitly stated during the commerical you are talking about that it is a professional driver on a closed cource and not to try at home basically. Disney runs no such disclaimer and personally see no problem with it since like i stated earlier i have carried my son on my should plently.

SNOWQUEEN

Just got back yesterday and YES :D I put my 5 year old DS on my shoulders to watch the parade. I held onto my DS so he could enjoy the parade I on the other hand stared at the back of 2 adult males :( who wedged out in front of my DS's to video it (hold your camera up above your head like the rest of us). They could have filmed it over the top of my 2 DS's heads but NO they had to have a standing front row view. :mad: I mean come on people the rudest ones are the adults who can see over a childs head and still push past them. If you want the front sit on your tush and stay there so smaller ones can at least stand behind you if your not willing to let them sit up front.

CatLady

What's actually sad about this thread is that it's really just pointing out a complete lack of common courtesy. I have, in the past, been willing to let small children be allowed in front of me when I have been waiting for the parade for upwards of an hour (my mother, when she visits, is there pretty much just to see parades). The problem comes that the 6'2" dad and the 5'6" mom also have to stand in front of me with their child so they can point out Mickey and Minnie instead of standing next to me. I'm 5'2", and I'm lucky to see over their child. If people were courteous enough to let kids stand in front (and I don't mean 60' in front of parents, I mean a couple feet), this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, experience has led me instead to not let kids stand in front of me, so I become part of the problem.

Floridasunshine

macsmom said:
I can relate to you, but then there are lots of adults that will stand right in front of kids and not move for them.

That is the thing that aggravated me at the Hannah Montana Typhoon Lagoon concert. Most of the kids there had won tickets somehow. Yet who were 75% of the people crowding in front of the stage leaving most of the kids behind them? Adults and parents. This was a teenybopper concert where the target audience is like 8-12 year olds, yet many were crying because they could not see because of all the rude adults in front of them. And the stage area was fenced off so it would have been virtually impossible for your kid to disappear or anything. The parents could have stood towards the back and let the kids have fun.

Luckily at the very back of the concert area, I found some telephone pole stumps which were about 2 feet off the ground around some landscaping that I had mine stand on. That is, for about 15 minutes until a CM made them get down... (like they were gonna break a leg or something from 2 feet up?!?!?). But if I had not, my kids would not have been able to see a thing and at 10 & 11 they were too heavy for me to hoist up.

CP17

if you don't want someone standing in front of you, stop riding the rides early, fine a spot on the curb, sit down and wait. While most everyone one else is finding there spots to watch the parade, you complainers are riding rides while the lines are low. I will be there in Sept., I will get to Main Street at least 45 mins early, find a spot and sit down with my 2 year old & my wife and we'll watch the parade together sitting down & unobstructed. If you get there late and your kids can't see because your behind people standing put them on your shoulders, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I would make sure found a spot where I wasn't blocking somebody else though.

SpongeScott

MissM said:
Try reading my post again.

I specifically stated that it's rude when people push in front of you and block your view after you've been standing there, waiting patiently. I have no problem with someone having a spot already that they've waited equally as patiently for. I have an issue with people who think they have a right to cut in front of other people.

I have no issue with the Goddess having made me 5'6" and I do just fine at my height as does Love at 6ft. And I have no issue with how She made anyone else either. But no matter how tall or short you are, no one should cut in front of other people. It's just rude.
-m
it's the little word OR that you have in your post that threw me off. If they push in front AND block you, yeah, you've got a beef.

bgraham34

This has happened to me many times when i want to film Wishes. After several attemps over several years last Dec. i finally got it without a kid on a fathers shoulders in front of me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom