Annoying parents who put their kids on shoulders

disneydude2000

Original Poster
i thought i would start this thread to find out how many people get annoyed when people put their kids on their shoulders.

i was busy filming wishes and picked out a great spot, as soon as it started all these kids just appeared out of nowhere and my view was totally blocked.

anyone else have this problem???

i by the way never got on my parents shoulders because we always found a great spot to watch that was out of other peoples view.

macsmom

I can relate to you, but then there are lots of adults that will stand right in front of kids and not move for them. I am a somewhat short person and it is hard for me to see things as they pass by. Last trip down, some guy about 6'6" stood in front of me and he would not move because his kid could not see if he did. Someone else was nice enough to let me stand in front of him and we were all happy.

danna

disneydude2000

Original Poster
thats fine i can see the fireworks but if your at the area at the back of the station near Roy sitting on the bench you can't see any of the fireworks near the castle.

or in illuminations you can only see the fireworks higher up

thanks for hearing me out danna if i was there you could of sat on my shoulders and then stood in front of him

SpenceMan01

I guess I don't see a big problem with parents putting the kids on their shoulders if they're in a position where the kids wouldn't be able to see from the ground. If they're in the front of everything, I could see that being a bit inappropriate. Kids are shorter than adults. It's tough for them to see.

goofntink

You should have gotten a CM's attention and pointed that parent and child out. Disney does not want parents to do that for Safety reasons.Another reason they don't want them to do it."Oops let go of my child for a second,and he/she fell backwards and landed on their head." Can you guess the parents 1st phone call when they get home?:mad: Also, just got back from stay at Resort for the week. For the 1st time the Cm's at the check-in mentioned rule in Hotel brochure."No in-line skating in the resorts or themeparks sidewalks or parking lot areas.Please ask a castmember for locations for approved skating areas."Was shown to guests checking in ahead of us who two kids were skating around on there heelez in the lobby. CM check-in clerk asked them to remove them and leave them in there vehicle for the duration of there stay.:sohappy:

kennygman

macsmom said:
I can relate to you, but then there are lots of adults that will stand right in front of kids and not move for them. I am a somewhat short person and it is hard for me to see things as they pass by. Last trip down, some guy about 6'6" stood in front of me and he would not move because his kid could not see if he did. Someone else was nice enough to let me stand in front of him and we were all happy.

danna

We're you in Animal Kingdom on Christmas day 2005. The same thing happened to me. I'm not bothered by the kid on the shoulders. I like to see the kids having a great time. But the guy that is taller than a tree that won't move back 3 feet so others can see could be a different matter.

dopey

disneydude2000 said:
i by the way never got on my parents shoulders

Perhaps professional help is called for. Are you sure it was merely because they found a good spot to watch the fireworks? Or did they find a good spot to watch the fireworks just so they wouldn't have to put you on their shoulders?

MissM

It's entirely unfair to cut in front of someone or block someone's view. I've stood, waiting in a spot for 20+ minutes before, only to have pushy parents try to shove their way in front of me. Uh uh. No way. It's just rude and totally uncalled for. You're not any more special then anyone else and everyone there has a right to watch the fireworks - kid, teen, adult or senior.

Some people need to learn not to be selfish when in public places like WDW and realize their desires don't mean they get to do whatever they want.
-m

kreiderr

I've often put my kids on my shoulders to see, simply because they would be staring into some adult's butt for 45 minutes. I've had far more issues with rude teenagers and adults than parents with little kids. I've sat to save a spot for a parade for 45 minutes only to have several adults crowd me out so they can get a better spot to film the parade. Here's an idea, leave the video camera at home, just enjoy the moment and buy the DVD of the park. Honestly, how often are you going to watch a 20 minute fireworks show at home. Trust me, try showing it to the neighbors. Fireworks lose alot when you're not seeing them in person.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I will always put DS on my shoulders if we're not in front and he can't see. If he has an unobstructed view, I wouldn't dream of it, but otherwise the vacation is for him. If you are behind us, I'll move where I can within reason to assist you in having a view as well, but if the choice is between you seeing and him seeing, he wins.

No apologies, compromise only to the extent that DS can still see.

On the other hand, I'll never push in front of anyone or otherwise interfere with the pleasure of people who were there ahead of us to get a spot in front. If I am in front, I'll gladly duck down so the people behind me can see as well [I'm 6'3" and 250lbs, I know I'm not easy to see around].

imagineer99

I guess I don't see the big deal. If this really works you up that much, maybe you should reevaluate just who the attended audience for WDW is.

Kids get tired of standing. Kids are small. Is it really gonna disrupt you all that much to have a kid sit on his Dad's shoulders? There are far bigger fish to fry in this world. In the mean time, a spoonfull of tolerance goes a long way.

My only issue is when people "butt" in front of you after you've saved a spot for a firework show or parade.

SpongeScott

MissM said:
It's entirely unfair to cut in front of someone or block someone's view. I've stood, waiting in a spot for 20+ minutes before, only to have pushy parents try to shove their way in front of me. Uh uh. No way. It's just rude and totally uncalled for. You're not any more special then anyone else and everyone there has a right to watch the fireworks - kid, teen, adult or senior.

Some people need to learn not to be selfish when in public places like WDW and realize their desires don't mean they get to do whatever they want.
-m
so it's unfair that God gifted me with the height of 6'3" and that I might block someone's view? Just because I'm tall means I have to move to the back of the sidewalk? Is my family supposed to move back with me so that none of them can see or am I supposed to move by myself while they stay in the front? I'll not push in front of you, but if I take the time to hold a spot because we want to view a parade or fireworks unobstructed, it's a big park--find yourself another spot.

MissM

SpongeScott said:
I'll not push in front of you, but if I take the time to hold a spot because we want to view a parade or fireworks unobstructed, it's a big park--find yourself another spot.

Try reading my post again.

It's entirely unfair to cut in front of someone or block someone's view. I've stood, waiting in a spot for 20+ minutes before, only to have pushy parents try to shove their way in front of me. Uh uh. No way. It's just rude and totally uncalled for.

I specifically stated that it's rude when people push in front of you and block your view after you've been standing there, waiting patiently. I have no problem with someone having a spot already that they've waited equally as patiently for. I have an issue with people who think they have a right to cut in front of other people.

I have no issue with the Goddess having made me 5'6" and I do just fine at my height as does Love at 6ft. And I have no issue with how She made anyone else either. But no matter how tall or short you are, no one should cut in front of other people. It's just rude.
-m

autumndawn1006

SpongeScott said:
so it's unfair that God gifted me with the height of 6'3" and that I might block someone's view? Just because I'm tall means I have to move to the back of the sidewalk? Is my family supposed to move back with me so that none of them can see or am I supposed to move by myself while they stay in the front? I'll not push in front of you, but if I take the time to hold a spot because we want to view a parade or fireworks unobstructed, it's a big park--find yourself another spot.

You don't have to move. You just have to give us a lift. ;)

Debbie

try holding a spot for 6 hours to see Britney Spears in a Mardi Gras parade; only for someone to cut in front with a LADDER to view the parade!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Debbie said:
try holding a spot for 6 hours to see Britney Spears in a Mardi Gras parade; only for someone to cut in front with a LADDER to view the parade!
That's when you pull out your swiss army knife and saw one leg off that ladder.

slappy magoo

Look, I'm all for fair play and everything, but if I took a child all the way to WDW, and the parade route is so congested the only way for him/her to see anything is to be on my shoulders, guess where that kid is going?

I'd find kid-on-the-shoulder-itis to be more obnoxious if the family in question is right in front of the parade route, thereby becoming an eleventy-seven foot obstacle. I know kids get tired, and shoulder-sitting might be less taxing for a parent than holding them in their arms, but come on, take a step back, then...

I'm sure they'd consider it a safety risk, but I almost wish before the parade started, they'd make an announcement suggesting taller people up front crouch or kneel or make room for shorter people or children, so others can see the parade. Courtesy isn't always contagious, but you'd be impressed by how people will follow a suggestion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom