News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

It's integral enough to British popular culture that the character featured heavily in the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics, a show designed to highlight Britain's view of itself to the whole world.

In the new world showcase, Poppins, Alice, Brave, and Toad would all fit in UK better than Frozen or Three Caballeros fit in their respective countries. The problem with Brave is twofold: its visuals aren't particularly interesting, and Scotland wasn't a part of the UK when the story was set and, more importantly, is quite likely not to be a part of it in the near future.

Sadly for many of us outside of London it felt like the London Olympics opening featured only the type of Britain that is found in London, aside if I remember correctly a bit about mining, which is a bit of a bitter subject still. The same with the pavillion, its based on the Britishness that London conveys to the world but the rest is quaint mining villages, castles, seaside towns and woodland. And even though Brave is set in Scotland it's representative of much of the rest of the UK that are still largely empty aside woodland and castles. So whilst Scotland's future is a little uncertain (still rather unlikely they will actually leave) it shows off the history that a large part of the rest of the UK is based on and is still very much embraced and visible, even in the larger cities.

Unfortunately I think this discussion between Brave and Poppins demonstrates the frustration of the UK as a whole, part of the reason independence is on the table for Scotland (and has been mentioned in Wales and Ireland too) is that we don't feel represented by Westminster. That only burns a little more when someone says 'oh Wales/scotland, that's in England right?'. I think a magical woodland and boisterous castle scene could be very pretty and given what I said above, might even count as edutainment.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
**** Van ****'s cockney accent is about as British as a Taco Bell chalupa.

Stephen Frye claimed that Dick Van 's accent should be considered an act of war.

There's a reason that Travers hated it so much.

And while we're on the subject of Travers, since Mary Poppins can't be portrayed as a cartoon (or I think she can't anyways), it's probably extremely possible that a ride with her wouldn't have worked out due to the legal ramifications and dealings with Traver's estate. I often wonder if it was a nightmare for them to even be able to include the portion they did in the Great Movie Ride. Of course, I could be off base totally with this, but I imagine this played into it not being Poppins.

WDWTank

All he sees the parks as is an ATM. He knows they make money, but he doesn't see the long-term or how important the repeat guests and loyal fans are. He doesn't realize that if you anger the regulars often enough and they stop coming (and bringing their mini-loyal fans), the pool of new guests will dry up because they won't see the value in the parks that loyal guests do, so they don't become loyal fans at all, and it becomes a downwards spiral. Sure, going to the parks may still be a "right of passage", but it's the repeat business that keeps things going.
Exactly :)

WDWTank

I
All he sees the parks as is an ATM. He knows they make money, but he doesn't see the long-term or how important the repeat guests and loyal fans are. He doesn't realize that if you anger the regulars often enough and they stop coming (and bringing their mini-loyal fans), the pool of new guests will dry up because they won't see the value in the parks that loyal guests do, so they don't become loyal fans at all, and it becomes a downwards spiral. Sure, going to the parks may still be a "right of passage", but it's the repeat business that keeps things going.
I really hope he steps down in 2019; he really isn't that good, to say the least

Casper Gutman

**** Van ****'s cockney accent is about as British as a Taco Bell chalupa.
Fry, mentioned above, also called Poppins one of the best films ever made.

Watch British comedy and you will see that accent mentioned very frequently, with mockery and affection - it's pretty much the universal go-to for horrible accents. It's an illustration of how current Poppins is in British pop culture, significantly moreso then in American.

njDizFan

For me the whole Poppins fit/not fit controversy comes done to this: When you come off an attraction in the WS you should have a deeper understand of the culture/architecture of the nation. Brave unfortunately fits the bill. Yes it is a toonifyed version of medieval Scotland. But we get some basics on architecture, language, lore/legend and culture. Poppins in my opinion not so much. You get a glimpse of life in Edwardian London but could really be any City in Europe during that time. Granted my memory of the film is chimney sweeping and a magical nanny with a flying umbrella. Is there something distinctly UK I am missing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom