News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

FigmentFan82

Do you think Coco is still that popular? Genuine question, I loved the movie, but its one i dont hear people talk about a ton. And i dont think merch was a big seller (dia de los muertos non IP i think sells good, not sure on coco)

my biggest issue with coco going there (which im not against a ride being made), is location.. besides i dont want to lose my 3 cabs.

There really isnt much room for a queue.. and any new ride would have a huge line... and since the queue is so small that means snaking through the restaurant and gift shop.. unless they could make a new entrance on the left side of the building for just the attraction.. then it wouldnt be that bad.
Coco scene is being added to Philharmgic soo...

Ghost93

Was The Princess and the Frog all that popular before 2020? I recall it was still considered an underrated film before this mess with Splash Mountain.
Princess and the Frog wasn't a flop, but it was seen as a disappointment at the box office because it was supposed to be the movie that saved 2D animation at Disney. While it got good reviews, it needed to be Lion King/Beauty and the Beast Level amazing to do what it needed to in order to change the company's outlook on the hand-drawn animation medium

Now that some time has passed I think people are better at appreciating the movie for what it is, and see it as somewhat refreshing in comparison to movies like Frozen and Wreck-it-Ralph.

And in regards to Splash Mountain, while Song of the South was pretty popular in the 70s and 80s (more so than when it came out in the 40s), it's been buried for 35 years and is pretty much the first thing people mention when discussing racism in Disney movies. While Princess and the Frog may not be as big as Frozen, it certainly means a lot more to the children and teens of today than Song of the South.

One of the biggest criticisms of PaTF, when it came out, was that Disney's first Black princess spent the majority of her movie as a frog. I remember reading a review around the time that said something to the effect of "When I asked for a princess of color, green wasn't what I had in mind." With Tiana's presence in this new attraction and her upcoming Disney Plus show, Tiana may finally get the screen time she deserved as a Black woman and be seen as equal among the other Disney princesses.

Back on Topic, Coco was WAAAAY more successful than PatF when it was first released. It made a lot more money, won an Oscar and is generally seen as one of the better examples of diversity in a Disney film.

Brer Panther

Princess and the Frog wasn't a flop, but it was seen as a disappointment at the box office because it was supposed to be the movie that saved 2D animation at Disney. While it got good reviews, it needed to be Lion King/Beauty and the Beast Level amazing to do what it needed to in order to change the company's outlook on the hand-drawn animation medium

Now that some time has passed I think people are better at appreciating the movie for what it is, and see it as somewhat refreshing in comparison to movies like Frozen and Wreck-it-Ralph.

And in regards to Splash Mountain, while Song of the South was pretty popular in the 70s and 80s (more so than when it came out in the 40s), it's been buried for 35 years and is pretty much the first thing people mention when discussing racism in Disney movies. While Princess and the Frog may not be as big as Frozen, it certainly means a lot more to the children and teens of today than Song of the South.

One of the biggest criticisms of PaTF, when it came out, was that Disney's first Black princess spent the majority of her movie as a frog. I remember reading a review around the time that said something to the effect of "When I asked for a princess of color, green wasn't what I had in mind." With Tiana's presence in this new attraction and her upcoming Disney Plus show, Tiana may finally get the screen time she deserved as a Black woman and be seen as equal among the other Disney princesses.

Back on Topic, Coco was WAAAAY more successful than PatF when it was first released. It made a lot more money, won an Oscar and is generally seen as one of the better examples of diversity in a Disney film.
Disney still for all intents and purposes ignored it until people demanded that Splash Mountain be rethemed to it.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney still for all intents and purposes ignored it until people demanded that Splash Mountain be rethemed to it.
She is one of 3 princesses featured in the new castle show at MK and she had her own float in Soundsational at DL. Both MK and DL had the excellent Riverboat show in the past as well.

Ghost93

Oh, no doubt about that. While Tiana was featured in Disney Princess events, she definitely wasn't as prominently featured as characters like Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Elsa or Rapunzel. I think Disney just recently realized there is more potential with the character.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here we go again with "PatF isn't popular / isn't a real presence in Disney."

Tiana had her own M&G spot off of Liberty Square as well as appearing in Princess Fairytale Hall.​
Tiana's animation launches the very popular HEA.​
Tiana and friends were heavily featured in the last Castle Stage Show (Friendship Faire).​
Tiana had a dessert party on the Riverboat.​
Tiana shows up in Festival of Fantasy parade.​
Tiana appears in Fantasmic! (both coasts)​
Tiana was going to be featured in the now-scrapped Reflections resort​
PatF was used in Sorcerers of the Kingdom.​
PatF is featured in Port Orleans resort.​
Tiana got her own restaurant on the Cruise line where she appears (walkabout M&G) and performs. Plus a PatF lounge. [ WDW... bring that to Orlando! <shakes fist at WDW> ]​
Dr. Facilier is almost always part of any villain crew that shows up: Halloween Party stage show, parade, and fireworks; club evil; etc...​

Likewise Coco is insanely popular

Coco sometimes shows up on the top ten streamed movies according to Nielsen​
Coco is Mexico's number one biggest Box Office movie. Ever.​
Mariache Cobre sings Coco songs, and in the Fall for El Día de los Muertes, have been including puppet-Miguel.​
The Mexico pavilion lobby has been taken over by Coco.​
WDW is, unfortunately, Latines-poor in shows. Disneyland, however, has been increasing it's Mexican-inspired festivities, increasing its components each year and heavily featuring Coco.​
And as mentioned: PhilharMagic addition.​

As for the topic of this thread: Mary Poppins.
Unfortunately, she's been underutilized in the parks, mostly due to Travers' dislike of Disney's treatment of Mary Poppins in the film.​
Mary Poppins Returns was in the break-even margin of Box Office profit, maybe a little in a net loss. But not so much that the following 'windows' couldn't make up for that loss. The reviews were OK, not negative, not great.​
An insider suggested that 'Trip the Light Fantastic' could make an appearance in some form of entertainment in the parks. But that seems to have fizzled.​
This attraction could have been the first step to a much greater appearance of Mary Poppins in the park. But for now, we'll have to settle for subtle inspirations at Citricos... unless a rumored infusion of IP into the GF rooms takes place similar to the Contemporary...​

Scrooged

Poppins is most definitely an underutilized IP across ALL Disney parks. I often wonder if the ghost of P.L. Travers has played a part in that through her estate handling approvals of certain aspects of story and whatnot. I seem to recall there was a fracas regarding the British Broadway musical that came out around 2002-3 ish. Travers died (1996) while wrangling approvals for that and left explicit instructions regarding who could (all British cast, no Americans) and who couldn’t (absolutely no one from the Disney corporation or production of the movie) work on it. Needless to say, even after her death, it was a long development for the musical. The development of “Mary Poppins Returns” was long in the tooth as well, almost eight years before any sense of pre production came about. All of this was done on the basis that Disney did not use any source material from Travers’ writings.
All this having been typed- I often wonder if Travers’ estate has had a hand in slowing this process. That, combined with the focus on Marvel and Star Wars properties pushed Poppins to the side. I hope a Poppins attraction happens, but it probably won’t for a few years yet. Let’s hope that Tron gets finished at the very least. :/

Robbiem

Poppins is most definitely an underutilized IP across ALL Disney parks. I often wonder if the ghost of P.L. Travers has played a part in that through her estate handling approvals of certain aspects of story and whatnot. I seem to recall there was a fracas regarding the British Broadway musical that came out around 2002-3 ish. Travers died (1996) while wrangling approvals for that and left explicit instructions regarding who could (all British cast, no Americans) and who couldn’t (absolutely no one from the Disney corporation or production of the movie) work on it. Needless to say, even after her death, it was a long development for the musical. The development of “Mary Poppins Returns” was long in the tooth as well, almost eight years before any sense of pre production came about. All of this was done on the basis that Disney did not use any source material from Travers’ writings.
All this having been typed- I often wonder if Travers’ estate has had a hand in slowing this process. That, combined with the focus on Marvel and Star Wars properties pushed Poppins to the side. I hope a Poppins attraction happens, but it probably won’t for a few years yet. Let’s hope that Tron gets finished at the very least. :/

If Travers estate is being awkward I can’t see current Disney moving forward with a Poppins attraction, modern management wouldn’t like to pay royalties to a third party.

Alice would be a good fit in the UK (as would Basil, Dalmatians or Sword in the Stone but might be a bit niche) and is royalty free but make it the animated movie not the live action

ImperfectPixie

If Travers estate is being awkward I can’t see current Disney moving forward with a Poppins attraction, modern management wouldn’t like to pay royalties to a third party.

Alice would be a good fit in the UK (as would Basil, Dalmatians or Sword in the Stone but might be a bit niche) and is royalty free but make it the animated movie not the live action
Sword in the Stone, please. My youngest (now 10) has been watching it over and over since he was little and it's one of my and hubby's faves.

They could do some amazing stuff with Merlin.

aladdin2007

Disney could almost make an entire park based on their animated features set in the UK. Lands/Attractions for poppins, great mouse, alice, 101, sword in stone, robin hood, peter pan, pooh, brave,,,and the list goes on no doubt..

cookiee_munster

Sword in the Stone, please. My youngest (now 10) has been watching it over and over since he was little and it's one of my and hubby's faves.

They could do some amazing stuff with Merlin.
I think the fact that The Sword in The Stone is filled with stuff about education and learning, Merlin makes a brilliant example of an IP character that could nicely fit into EPCOT and have that edutainment aspect that the park has started to lack.

brb1006

I think the fact that The Sword in The Stone is filled with stuff about education and learning, Merlin makes a brilliant example of an IP character that could nicely fit into EPCOT and have that edutainment aspect that the park has started to lack.
Heck, Merlin was even featured at one of the interactive exhibits at the Wonders of Life Pavilion.

WowFactor

“The Great Race” attraction at Lotte’s Magic Forest reminds me a lot Tony Baxter’s Jolly Holiday.
Did you guys see it?

433BD49E-4984-483A-B080-F06243722276.jpeg

027A8AE3-8637-4728-84B2-7A59E5B5232D.jpeg

F710AD86-3952-4338-934A-8E4F18594EBC.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom