News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Epcot82Guy

While capacity would be a huge issue, I did think a Mad House could be a great idea for a Disney attraction (or Universal). Now, whether it fits its location depends on use...

nickys

Premium Member
now I am a huge Meryl fan, but it really was the worst part of the film..It was like they sat around and said///We need a replacement for the Uncle Albert Tea party on the ceiling scene....hmmmmmm Not so great.

Except it was taken straight from the books. “Returns” was a much truer adaptation of the books than the original movie. The stage show, at least the London version (not sure if Broadway was the same) was much darker then the movie, and also closer to the book.

Bocabear

Except it was taken straight from the books. “Returns” was a much truer adaptation of the books than the original movie. The stage show, at least the London version (not sure if Broadway was the same) was much darker then the movie, and also closer to the book.
I do know it came from the books... There were other characters in the books that didn't make it to the film as well. On the whole I really liked the film...I think it was the perfect follow up...

nickys

Premium Member
I do know it came from the books... There were other characters in the books that didn't make it to the film as well. On the whole I really liked the film...I think it was the perfect follow up...

I agree that it seemed shoe-horned into the story arc of the movie. But it is a genuine “scene” from the books and I guess it gave them a chance to cast a huge star into the movie in a small but memorable role, even if a not universally popular one.

britain

It was fine, but they made a critical error in effectively replacing “Spoonful of Sugar” with “Can you imagine that” as Mary’s theme song. In the very few moments where you do hear Sugar, the movie soars! I’m dumbfounded why they went to such great lengths to copy so much of the first movie, and yet insist on “all new songs all the time!” Really? No reprises?

When making Empire Strikes Back, they didn’t replace Luke Skywalker’s theme (the main SW theme) with something new!

Rich Brownn

It was fine, but they made a critical error in effectively replacing “Spoonful of Sugar” with “Can you imagine that” as Mary’s theme song. In the very few moments where you do hear Sugar, the movie soars! I’m dumbfounded why they went to such great lengths to copy so much of the first movie, and yet insist on “all new songs all the time!” Really? No reprises?

When making Empire Strikes Back, they didn’t replace Luke Skywalker’s theme (the main SW theme) with something new!
Because in a musical, you want to add to the song catalogue, not nearly rerun it (and if they had everyone would have said oh they are relying on old stuff). The songwriters are high regarded (They have won a Grammy, a Tony and an Emmy so far). I'm sure they came on the film with the expectation of writing all new material. (Some composers will actually have a no-interpolation waiver in their contract. Obviously not here).

britain

Because in a musical, you want to add to the song catalogue, not nearly rerun it (and if they had everyone would have said oh they are relying on old stuff). The songwriters are high regarded (They have won a Grammy, a Tony and an Emmy so far). I'm sure they came on the film with the expectation of writing all new material. (Some composers will actually have a no-interpolation waiver in their contract. Obviously not here).

I’m fine with adding new material, but they should have at least kept Spoonful around more in the score. The entire movie runs on nostalgia fuel, and they cut themselves off from the best stuff.

UNCgolf

I felt like the songs were a weak point, which was didn't really surprise me because I'm not a huge fan of Marc Shaiman's work despite his success. I think they would have been better if Lin-Manuel Miranda had been in charge of the music; it also seems a little strange to me to cast him and NOT take advantage of his songwriting abilities. Additionally, I felt like the movie wasn't as cohesive as the original.

With that said, I still enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be as good as the original (and I don't know why anyone would have expected that) so I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't.

Rich Brownn

I felt like the songs were a weak point, which was didn't really surprise me because I'm not a huge fan of Marc Shaiman's work despite his success. I think they would have been better if Lin-Manuel Miranda had been in charge of the music; it also seems a little strange to me to cast him and NOT take advantage of his songwriting abilities. Additionally, I felt like the movie wasn't as cohesive as the original.

With that said, I still enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be as good as the original (and I don't know why anyone would have expected that) so I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't.
Ive said this before... as a theatrical composer Shaiman tends to be more complex. The Sherman Bros, for all their talents, made the songs memorable by not using much lyrics. Take "Spoonful" ;

Just a spoonful or sugar helps the medicine go down
the medicine go down
the medicine go down
(repeat)
in the most delightful way.

Its why their songs are popular. They are actually very simple.

UNCgolf

Ive said this before... as a theatrical composer Shaiman tends to be more complex. The Sherman Bros, for all their talents, made the songs memorable by not using much lyrics. Take "Spoonful" ;

Just a spoonful or sugar helps the medicine go down
the medicine go down
the medicine go down
(repeat)
in the most delightful way.

Its why their songs are popular. They are actually very simple.

Their songs do tend to be quite simple. "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is another example.

I don't think complexity is a problem, though -- I tend to prefer complex music (not exclusively, of course). But something about Shaiman's style just doesn't do it for me, though. I do like a few of the MPR songs, but I don't like much else that he's done. Between Hamilton and Moana, I think Lin-Manuel Miranda could have put together a stronger Disney/Broadway type soundtrack.

General Mayhem

Between Hamilton and Moana, I think Lin-Manuel Miranda could have put together a stronger Disney/Broadway type soundtrack.
tenor.gif

Rich Brownn

Their songs do tend to be quite simple. "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is another example.

I don't think complexity is a problem, though -- I tend to prefer complex music (not exclusively, of course). But something about Shaiman's style just doesn't do it for me, though. I do like a few of the MPR songs, but I don't like much else that he's done. Between Hamilton and Moana, I think Lin-Manuel Miranda could have put together a stronger Disney/Broadway type soundtrack.
I'm not ready for Mary Poppins to rap :D

Sir_Cliff

I’m fine with adding new material, but they should have at least kept Spoonful around more in the score. The entire movie runs on nostalgia fuel, and they cut themselves off from the best stuff.
It seems to me that they had the choice to either remake the original or make a new film. Since they went with the latter option, I think it was smarter to go with all new songs as they would have undermined the whole premise by dropping in musical references to the iconic songs from the original. If people come out humming Spoonful of Sugar rather than, say, Can You Imagine That, then that's a pretty big fail for the movie. It would be a little like throwing in the towel and just making Let It Go the musical theme to Frozen 2.

UNCgolf

I'm not ready for Mary Poppins to rap :D

Most of Hamilton isn't rapping. And his Moana songs definitely aren't rapping.

I definitely don't want Mary Poppins to rap either!

And I'm not saying Lin-Manuel Miranda would have been the best choice overall (I only mentioned him because he's in the cast), but I think he would have done a better job than Shaiman.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom