Announced attractions and facilities that were never built

awallaceunc

gbrooks135 said:
A few years back there was talk about Disney building a resort/theme park here in Myrtle Beach SC on the Former Air Force Base when it closed down.:cry:
I remember that, though I thought it was going to go where Broadway at the Beach eventually went. Or is that the same place? I was very excited at the time, and later so disappointed when it didn't go through. If memory serves, they were going back and forth between Myrtle Beach and VA, and eventually chose neither.

-Aaron

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Riiiiiiight... guess I should join in finally! From what I know, planned (as in plans exist) for WDW were

In the Magic Kingdom:

A building with a rockwork facade in Adventureland, where PotC was built instead.

Thunder Messa with the WRE

The Little Mermaid (dark ride) - Mickeys Starland

Tomorrowland train station

One Mans Dream (TDL Import)

4 Track Space Port (became 2 track Space Mountain)

Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue

From Time to Time CV360 with morphing Animatronics

EPCOT Center:

The World Showcase nect to T&TC

EPCOT Theme Center (became Futureworld)

Spaceship Earth - with the main ride in Earth Stations area & a Geodesic dome housing a planetarium

The Universe of Energy - massive, curved building with larger theatres; also looking at Storm energy

Health and Life - became Wonders of Life
The Voyage Within - dark ride, became Body Wars

Century 3 - became Futureprobe, became Horizons. Was to have spiraling track upwards in what became 50s future scene to loop round 3 Omnimax screens

Journeys in Space - the preshow became Mission:Space

Transportation Pavilion - 6 cirular buildings joined in a ring with atrium. Was to have large ground level trackway from ramp out of building (became WOrld of Motion, track idea used in Test track)

The American Adventure - situated at gateway to World Showcase from Futureworld, on legs. Initially a dark ride, the attraction developed to a stage show with Ben Franklin, Mark Twain and Roy Rogers as hosts.

Journey into Imagination - with unload upstairs in the Image Works (and green Figment!)

Great Moments at the Movies

Mineral pavilion

Science and Invention Pavilion

The Land: Rainforest observation deck, hot air balloon ride, Drilling machine thrill ride, arctic zone

The Seas pavilion (became The Living Seas)

Maelstrom - the final scene was to be much larger and live up to it`s name

Safari Africa, became Equitorial Africa with 3 shows

Germany - Rhine River Ride

Italy - Gondola ride through venice

Japan - Meet the World Carousel theatre, Ginza district, and Mt. Fuji Rollercoaster

France - Expodition hall

United Kingdom - Crystal Palace Vaudaville Theatre

Russia

Switzerland with Matterhorn

Israel

Spain

Saudi Arabia

South Korea

Scandinavia

Poland

Brazil

Holland

Australia / New Zealand

Taiwan

Costa Rica

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney MGM Studios

Muppet Studios with The Muppets Movie Ride

Slapstick Stunt Theatre

Mountain Rollercoaster (with only one side rockwork, one side exposed)

Roger Rabits Hollywood with Toontown Trolley, Benny the Cab and Baby Herman`s Runaway Baby Buggy rides (Sunset Blvd)

D i c k Tracey`s Crime Stoppers (Sunset Blvd)

Noah's Ark stageshow

Mickeys Movieland (Sunset Blvd)

Animal Kingdom

Beastly Kingdom (obviously) with Dragons Tower and Quest for the Unicorn

The Excavator

Tiger Run River Rapids

Resorts

Asian

Venitian

Persian

Kingdom Suites

Mediterranean

Cyprus Point

Buffalo Junction

2 more Hollywood themed hotels between EPCOT Center and Disney MGM

Industrial Complex (became Swan and Dolphin resorts)

DigitalDisney

Many years ago, they used to brag about things that were on the drawing board. In the southern end of Communicore West, there used to be a place called the Epcot Discovery Center (I hope that's the name).

The EDC was the home of Expo Robotics, and was where you could get a shirt painted by robots.

The most important part was a small science-related gift shop up by the main walkway. If you went to the main desk, you could ask for a ~5-page document that mentioned WDI's future projects. It mentioned things that were actually built (Splash Mtn) and things that were never even started (Venetian resort, Roger Rabbit's Toontown, Kingdom Suites, etc)

Outside of this shop there was also an aerial map of the entire WDW resort. I know for a fact that it showed proposed monorail extensions, and I'm pretty sure it also showed road extensions and future resorts as well.

artvandelay

Disney Vacation Club's Eagle Pines Resort. This was to be a golf resort between Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines golf courses. It was announce in June, 2001 and shelved after 9/11. DVC built Saratoga Springs instead because it was cheaper (SSR is built on the old Disney Institute grounds. DVC used some of those buildings and facilities).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom