Announced attractions and facilities that were never built

Merlin

Account Suspended
unkadug said:
As a fan of all things Magical, I too was diappointed. First the Magic Shop in Magic Kingdom, then this!

Maybe they could revive it in the "NEW" Pleasure Island?

I have often thought the same thing. If not literally the Copperfield project, then at least SOME type of magic-themed club would be very cool. I've always been kind of surprised that Pleasure Island never had anything like that.

speck76

Original Poster
mkt said:
I didn't think you could fit 1000 people there... I've seen too much Shakespeare by the lake there, and if there were 1000 people, I'd be in shock
936 is the official capacity.

Horizons1

Don't forget Westcot and of course, the Disney-MGM Studios Paris. I know they built the Walt Disney Studios but they are really not the same thing.

Never-Was Land

Magic Kingdom:
There was supposed to be some sort of plateau type thing where Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain are. It was in the promo piece in the program for $1,000,000 Duck.

Epcot:
Germany and Japan were supposed to have rides.

CThaddeus

I was just watching a show for either the 20th or 25th for WDW and it showed concept art for both the Russia Pavilion and the Mt. Fuji for the Japan Pavilion. I've also seen concept art for The Little Mermaid for Disneyland, and then there's the water park/3rd Park ideas for Disneyland, as well. Oh, and there was a proposed attraction for what is now Innoventions at Disneyland - an alien revue show, which I'm guessing may have mutated into Alien Encounter. Also, Disneyland had a proposed area for the backside of the Rivers of America which I think was called Discovery Cove. And then there's Rock Candy Mountain and Edison Square, really old concepts for Disneyland.

gbrooks135

A few years back there was talk about Disney building a resort/theme park here in Myrtle Beach SC on the Former Air Force Base when it closed down.:cry:

Madison

It seems to me that a lot of the stuff that's been mentioned thus far hasn't ever been formally announced by the company. Rock Candy Mountain? That fell apart when it was being pitched, nevermind it being announced! :)

I'm curious to learn more about attractions that were explicitly announced and later abandoned such as Disney's America and Disneyquest Philadelphia.

I mentioned earlier that I was unsure if DisneySea Long Beach was formally announced. If it was, I'd love to learn more about what happened to the development of the park.

aeillill

There was the theme park Walt planned for Marceline, Missouri. I think it was supposed to be about rural life and farming. I think Walt actually even bought land for it, but I'm not positve about that.
When Walt died though that idea went down the toilet with so many others unfortunately

EXCELLENT thread, Speck!!! Thanks for thinking of it.

Also, can you imagine how neat a Russia pavillion would be in the WS. I just love the tops of Russian buildings!!!!

jimmybog

At Disneyland Paris the following attractions were planned but never built: Jungle Exploration, Beauty and the Beast show, Little Mermaid, Discovery Mountain in Discoveryland and Geyser Mountain. At the Magic Kingdom the main ride never built was Western River Expedition. Others were Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Ichabod Crane and the enchanted snow palace though I have not personally seen any concept art for Mary Poppins and Ichabod Crane. At Epcot Future World there was to be a Tron Arcade. At MGM you had the Roger Rabbit trolley dash, Baby Hermann ride and ________ Tracey ride. Also I'm sure Mickey's Movieland was planned for MGM. At Animal Kingdom apart from Beastly Kingdom there was supposed to be a Excavator Roller coaster ride. And the main one at Disneyland California was obviously Discovery bay. Other minor ones at Disneyland were Edison Sq, Liberty St and International st. Oh and don't forget the original plans for the Indiana Jones attraction at Disneyland which would have combined a Jeep ride, mine car coaster ride and the jungle cruise. I can't tell you which of these was actually announced but it does give an idea of some of the atrractions we could have got.

Nansafan

Madison said:
There is, of course, Disney's America as mentioned above.

Did Disney ever formally announce their intention to build the DisneySea park at Long Beach, CA?

Mineral King Ski Resort is another one that never materialized.

There was a DisneyQuest planned for Philadelphia, also.

This is kinda fun :)

DisneyQuest was built and running in Chicago for only a couple years. We visited it 3-4 times including having my son's 13th birthday party there. The problem IMHO was location. On the western edge of downtown Chicago is not a place often frequented by Chicago families, especially on the weekends. If they had built it in the suburbs say near Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg I feel it would have done much better and would have been easier to get to. When this DQ failed to produce, I'm sure that is the reason Philadephia never materialized.

sgmco

Madison said:
Did Disney ever formally announce their intention to build the DisneySea park at Long Beach, CA?

As I understand, the DisneySea in Long Beach was more of a ploy by the Walt Disney Company to extract more consessions from Anaheim while they were planning the (now abandoned) WESTCOT expansion.

matt88mph

Don't forget the Muppet Studios and the original Space ride for Epcot.

(With the way things are looking, Muppet Studios may soon fit in a "Took 'Em Long Enough!" thread. I'm so excited!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom