Animatronic functions turned off at Dinosaur?

Bairstow

Nice idea, but then for things to make sense, you'd have to do the attractions in a specific order. Perhaps something with one of the "safer" Dino Institute tours utilizing one of their earlier time machine designs before they made it a jeep. Similar minor issue the Discovery River Boats had if you were to ride it first as an orientation thing and go past the Aladar animatronic they had set up there.

I would think for a park as underbuilt and underfunded as Animal Kingdom, narrative cohesion from land to ride should be the least of anyone's concerns.
No one cares that Johnny Depp is strolling up and down the streets of Adventureland when the narrative of the ride says that all the Pirates are dead, or at the very least the Castillo is still under Spanish control.

Slowjack

Having "living" dinosaurs would break the theme of the land.*

*before someone brings up Chester and Hester... yes, it sucks, but it actually does have an elaborate backstory that added to the existing story of Dinoland.
They wouldn't have to be "living." They could call them the robots that they were, and say that the Dino Institute had created them based on first-hand observations using the time rovers.

Of course, it has to be said that no one outside of the imagineers and die-hard fans like ourselves really "get" Dinoland...excuse me, DinoLand U.S.A....anyway. In terms of Dinorama, I feel confident in saying that there are fewer people that have caught onto the official Dinorama backstory than those who think that Dinorama was actually built on a former parking lot--like a cast member's lot.

Slowjack

The Cretaceous Trail was planned to have more dinosaurs, even interactive ones. The one planned for that area was an Acrocanthosaurus. It was designed to be an interactive AA figure where you can could push buttons and have to certain fuctions like feeding on the plants, etc. All the infrastructure is still there, but the equipment has been removed.

Here is a bit of trivia for you, that little garage next to Chester & Hester's, I think there is a ATM machine there now. It was actually the equipment room for the Acrocanthosaurus. It had a HPU, power, and control panels similar to the equipment room for the River Iguanadon behind Restaurantosaurus and the Dig Site. They were re-purposed to be 2 of the 4 HPU's used for Mission Space.
I'm always learning something new about WDW. That's interesting. I had forgotten about the Trail which shows the kind of impression it made on me, I guess.

FigmentJedi

I would think for a park as underbuilt and underfunded as Animal Kingdom, narrative cohesion from land to ride should be the least of anyone's concerns.
No one cares that Johnny Depp is strolling up and down the streets of Adventureland when the narrative of the ride says that all the Pirates are dead, or at the very least the Castillo is still under Spanish control.
That's California's narrative. In Florida, the Pirates are alive and actively attacking the fortress, that's what the cannon fire and the "CAPITAN! CAPITAN! PIRATES! THEY ARE ATTACKING THE VEELAGE!" clips in the queue you can still hear were for. The boats are there to evacuate us out and we take a detour into some creepy skeleton caves underneath the fortress before entering the bay and getting in the middle of the battle that the Spanish were assembling for against the pirate ship.

If anything, the narrative clash in Caribbean Square is those dumb skeletons outside the ride on the random sail sign.

ctxak98

Personally, I'd love to see Dinosaur get some upgrades, add some more Dinos into the darker sections, maybe add some better projection effects or even fire for some of the smaller asteroid hits. Make it a true E-ticket and that can be done by taking the ride down for 6-8 months. When it's done it will be a lot easier to absorb the necessary downtime to fix the Yeti.
you should take a look at my idea for a revamped CTX in the Imagineers forums. Its under Wed99's competition. I think it would be a great alternative!

willtravel

Would be interesting if they could make some outside attractions with dinosours, or just outside attractions that go into buildings as well. The vegetation is so lush in AK, anything could be done.
I have often wondered why they did not do this also? Is dinosour theming out of vogue? I to think it could have been expanded in AK.

Victor Kelly

Now that you mention it, dinosaur theming may not be popular anymore, at least for right now. But it does no excuse the deterioration of attractions both at IOA or AK. I think AK could have a much more superior indoor/outdoor type ride than IOA's Jurassic Park.

BryceM

Now that you mention it, dinosaur theming may not be popular anymore, at least for right now. But it does no excuse the deterioration of attractions both at IOA or AK. I think AK could have a much more superior indoor/outdoor type ride than IOA's Jurassic Park.
Jurassic Park River Adventure at Islands of Adventure just got out of refurbishment. It now looks just as good as the day it opened.

Silver Figment

It's unfortunate really because I love Dinoland so much but it could be so much more than what it is now. Dinosaur is one of my favorite attractions, at AK and all of WDW, but it needs some TLC.

WDITrent

True for Disneyland's, but not the one in WDW. The WDW Pirates has no time travel element.

ctxak98

It's unfortunate really because I love Dinoland so much but it could be so much more than what it is now. Dinosaur is one of my favorite attractions, at AK and all of WDW, but it needs some TLC.
I agree....It is such a great attraction and really has the potential to be one of the greatest....If only they cared as much as the guest did!

dadddio

"new", eh? Next you are gonna sell me some SEO and a few years ago you would have sold me on Indian outsourcing.

Yeah...facebook...that's the ticket. No one had ever thought about social networking before facebook! Yay interwebz!
Right. Instead of his FB campaign, he should just hang out in a forum about nothing and insulting people who start FB campaigns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom