Animatronic functions turned off at Dinosaur?

The Empress Lilly

Never understood the hate for Jurassic Park. The only dinosaur that I think looks bad is the very first one you see. Sure, story-wise, its a lot less creative than Dinosaur, but its still good.
As importantly, UNI's dino-land as a whole has the edge over DAK's dino-land.

Both are still trumped by Universe of Energy, even after three decades and dumbing down even the dino part of that ride.

dadddio

Essentially, you were. Quality is based on an individuals tastes and experiences, that's what you said. I am saying, it's not.
From this thread, I've learned that the public cannot be trusted to know what quality is. It is something that cannot be measured or defined except by a few internet 'experts'. The rest of the world should just spend their money however these few unknown people say.

Here's a different idea: the market determines what a great theme park is with their wallets. Bad theme parks lose money and customers. Good theme parks increase profits and gain customer share. When US starts beating WDW in guest volume and profits, you'll convince me that it is 'better'. Until then, this is all just fanboy chatter.

The Empress Lilly

From this thread, I've learned that the public cannot be trusted to know what quality is. It is something that cannot be measured or defined except by a few internet 'experts'. The rest of the world should just spend their money however these few unknown people say.

Here's a different idea: the market determines what a great theme park is with their wallets. Bad theme parks lose money and customers. Good theme parks increase profits and gain customer share. When US starts beating WDW in guest volume and profits, you'll convince me that it is 'better'. Until then, this is all just fanboy chatter.
Today, globally, more people will eat baked mud with insects and tree leaves than haute cuisine. About a billion to several million.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I wish parents would understand that a three year old indeed enjoys a sandbox just as much as a Disney park. This would prevent WDW from forever having to infantilise and cartoonify their once fantastic parks. :(

Agree 100 million percent. The idea that things have to be aimed directly at children, who literally will play with an empty water bottle for an hour, is mind boggling.

And the argument that presumably sane adults make, "well, my 3 year old loves it, so who cares if its any good." blows my mind.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Hmm...

Answer me this, is Space Mountain of a higher quality then Alladins Carpets?

Also, it's been pretty well documented that WDW is not gaining market share.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Well, ignorance is bliss and whatnot....

Tom Morrow

I don't hate it but considering its Jurassic Park, one of the best if no the best DINOSAUR movie out there created a good ride where was Disney created an AWESOME thrilling Dinosaur ride based on a kids movie....it just seems less amazing. But I still really like the Jurassic Park area in general.

Just to clarify, Dinosaur wasn't based on a kids' movie, the movie was later shoe-horned into the ride (and was little more than a name change).

I will say that at least on Jurassic Park, there is something to see the entire time. Half of Dinosaur is shrouded in darkness with nothing to see, and if you were to turn up the lights, there would be .. nothing to see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You've asked the wrong person to make your point as I really dislike SM and my family really enjoy AC.
It's funny that you phrased that as if US isn't far behind WDW in market share.

You were talking about "gaining" market share. You phrased it that way. Also, I didn't bring up Universal.

Quality is quality. That was my argument.

EPCOTCenterLover

Random and I hope, related, thoughts: At WDW, I rode Countdown to Extinction in 1999 and ten years later. It feels like a different attraction to some degree. Not as cutting edge, not as detail filled. Same with E:E. I've seen Yeti in A mode- spectacular. Not so in 2009. I have had only an inkling of desire to go back to the World since. Instead, California, Asia (not Disney), and Europe took my vacation dollars. I still love WDW, but it's not the same high quality "can't get that anywhere else" experience. Which makes dollar holders want to return. Just one man's opinion.

Victor Kelly

I have no beef with UNI. I think they have come a long long way since they first opened. Our last trip to UNI/IOAin 2010 was a disaster. Most of IOA except Potterland was falling apart, things not working or just plain shut down. UNI was worse. Rip Roarin Rocket was down, as was Mummy, Jaws, and Earthquake (some other name, but still closed). Terminator had one show that day and it had already happened, and MIB broke down while we were on it. The only good attraction was the Simpsons, followed by Twister. So, not a lot to do, so by 1:30 we left. Not to mention taking an hour at opening to get through the turnstiles, and being told my ticket were fake when I bought them from AAA and had the receipt, and had to argue enough to draw the attention of the police and management. Turns out them barcodes suck eggs like they always have. We had 3 day tickets, and did not go back to use the other two days. That is how disgusted I was with UNI and IOA. In another 5 years we may go back, but for now we will be sticking to WDW.

Back on topic, quality is relative to each person. But I have this to say about Disney, their theming is second to none. I can go to amusement parks and pay half of what I pay for a day in Disney, and still have a great time. But Disney is something different, even with the breakdowns and bad show in some areas. Disney still tops the crowd in theming, and the theming makes the parks what they are. The cutting edge technology cannot hold a candle to the classics like POTC, HM, Horizons, World of Motion, because they always work(ed). No other coaster can match BTMRR for theming, nor can any other flume ride match Splash in theming.

For years DL was left to rot, then they practically rebuilt it. Now WDW is in the same rot stage, and hopefully they will get off their duffs and fix it.

ctxak98

Just to clarify, Dinosaur wasn't based on a kids' movie, the movie was later shoe-horned into the ride (and was little more than a name change).

I will say that at least on Jurassic Park, there is something to see the entire time. Half of Dinosaur is shrouded in darkness with nothing to see, and if you were to turn up the lights, there would be .. nothing to see.
Just to clarify again....But actually the ride was always supposed to have a tie in. The movie was being worked on long before they decided on "Countdown To Extinction". Do you really think having pretty much all the same Dinosaurs in the ride and movie is just a coincidence? Nope, don't think so.

And the argument about Dinosaur being dark is such a dumb one in my opinion. It works as a dark ride and is more fun in the dark. Why do we need to see the green shrubs if we don't need too? the whole point of the ride is to alter your senses and make you think something is there when indeed its not. Atleast Disneys Dinosaurs look real. (I am talking to you Velociraptor at UNI with the crooked neck with skin wrinkles!) My only point is Dinosaur does feel more realistic. Dinosaurs would not be friendly, just like a cheetah or rhino wouldn't if you were to be in the same cage as them. In Jurassic Park river adventure, we move so slowly, that its unrealistic in the period of time that the Dinosaur would not eat us, which for me loses a lot of the thrill and excitement that the MOVIE Jurassic Park gave me! just My opinion of course.

Bairstow

My understanding is that the ride was always built with the understanding that it would/could tie into the movie, what with the fact that you're chasing after "Aladar" the whole time while being chased by red and black Carnotauri and he ends up saving you at the end by holding up a rock.
Considering how long the movie that eventually became Dinosaur was in production, I didn't think it was a coincidence that the same dinosaur, colored the same way, was the hero in both.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't hate it but considering its Jurassic Park, one of the best if no the best DINOSAUR movie out there created a good ride where was Disney created an AWESOME thrilling Dinosaur ride based on a kids movie....it just seems less amazing. But I still really like the Jurassic Park area in general.

You do realize the ride wasn't based on the movie right? That was something slapped on... and if you think the ride is so awesome I hope someday you get to ride the real legit version of the attraction - Indy.

Dinosaur largely sucks in comparison. You can't really enjoy Dinosaur after knowing what it was prior.

tnemgif

You do realize the ride wasn't based on the movie right? That was something slapped on... and if you think the ride is so awesome I hope someday you get to ride the real legit version of the attraction - Indy.

Dinosaur largely sucks in comparison. You can't really enjoy Dinosaur after knowing what it was prior.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Dinosaur (at least the concept) is a great alternative to Indy. I've done Indy multiple times, and loved it, but I'm glad that Dinosaur exists as well. If the ride was operating as it should, I'd feel that the experience is at least close to the quality of Indy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Dinosaur (at least the concept) is a great alternative to Indy. I've done Indy multiple times, and loved it, but I'm glad that Dinosaur exists as well. If the ride was operating as it should, I'd feel that the experience is at least close to the quality of Indy.

DInosaur has potential - but honestly most of it feels like being thrown around in the dark and being blasted with high volume noise. The biggest aspects of the show (those major dino AAs) don't get enough time to actually reflect their scale and complexity (IMO). Major elements like the chase I think can go completely oblivious to riders. Then when you add in all the effects and dumbing down... it really feels like being just thrown around in the dark more than anything.

ctxak98

I have been on Indy and I know I am in the minority but I don't like it as much as some people do. I love Indiana Jones and the ride is good, But I grew up with Dinosaurs and I find Dinosaur wayyyy better. But everyone is different so please don't knock it. I did say it was My opinion after all. I have been on Dinosaur when It was CTE multiple times so I do know what it was like....it was amazing. I hope you do know that indy has some blank walls just like Dinosaurs. have you watched it with the lights on!?

ctxak98

DInosaur has potential - but honestly most of it feels like being thrown around in the dark and being blasted with high volume noise. The biggest aspects of the show (those major dino AAs) don't get enough time to actually reflect their scale and complexity (IMO). Major elements like the chase I think can go completely oblivious to riders. Then when you add in all the effects and dumbing down... it really feels like being just thrown around in the dark more than anything.
I am not going to argue but I like that we see the Dinosaurs for a shorter time. It makes sense to the story because we don't have much time. Plus Dinosaurs are not friendly so we would probably be eaten if we stayed by the carnotaurus any longer and also we are in a jungle, at night, with no direct path.....why wouldn't it be dark and bumpy!? more fun that way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom