animal treatment at AK

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
HunnyPot said:
I was speaking of the Red Wolf and California Condor specifically, but you said that was wrong, so I guess I was. I teach elementary school, and we did a study on these animals during a Science unit. The information I read and was given said that while these animals were not out of the woods, captive breeding had done a wonderful job of bringing them back to life. Especially the Red Wolf. I must have read an article that was also one sided about that!

My main point I guess, and I didn't get it across propery, was that the article itself seemed to look at only the bad aspect of Disney's treatment of animals. In journalism as a whole, it seems like more and more often now we only get one side of the story, and from the author's point of view. For all you journalists out there, I'm not trying to say anything negative about your profession. It might just be our local paper and the magazine I read, but often times when an article deals with a subject, only one side is given. Or, if the opposite opinion is offered, it is obvious about which way the author feels. We have had problems with this here in our community about the President's dealings with Katrina. (I live in southern AL.) When I read this article, it seemed like the same type of journalism to me. I didn't mean to upset anyone or step on toes with my earlier comment. I apologize if I did.

And without the research, just off the top of my head, Bald Eagles (and various other raptors), various sea turtles can also be added to being saved by zoo/human intervention.

DisneyFreak529 Quote:
If you think the lions or any of the other animals are drugged, why don't you spend the $65 and take the Backstage Safari of the Animal Kingdom and learn about how they treat and care for the animals. You might just learn something or get a new appreciation for an animal you never had before.

WOW, think you could of been a little nicer about it. I mean every one else was nice when correcting me. Then you come here telling me I should go out and learn something.

Well I'm sorry that I'm a dog person and didn't know that cats/lion slept 22 hours a day. I'm happy to have learned something from my post, but you didn't have to be mean about it, telling me I should go and learn something!!

Disneyfreak, I think the problem was that you seemed to state that the animals were drugged as a fact...and that is the kind of over the top untruth that these kinds of groups live for. While the reaction was less than polite, understand the power of the statement you made.

Now back to thread drift...
Burgers or steak for dinner..........burgers or steak... :lol:

Mystic

DisneyFreak529 said:
WOW, think you could of been a little nicer about it. I mean every one else was nice when correcting me. Then you come here telling me I should go out and learn something.

Well I'm sorry that I'm a dog person and didn't know that cats/lion slept 22 hours a day. I'm happy to have learned something from my post, but you didn't have to be mean about it, telling me I should go and learn something!!

I didn't mean to come across as being mean and I'm sorry you took it that way as that was certainly not my intention. I was merely trying to say that if you have questions about the care of the animals you should consider the tour as it is very informative and you get a first hand look at just how well Disney treats it's animals and the lengths they go to to ensure the animals have a fulfilling life. I have a tendency to get a little defensive when it comes to the treatment of animals.

Connor002

Erika said:
I thought accusing them of drugging the animals was a little harsh. :lookaroun

Maybe the lions wanted to be drugged... :lookaroun

As for any intelligent thoughts to add to this, I got nothing. Pretty much everything has been said before. But on an almost related topic, did anyone else see the ads PETA tried to run? They compared animals in zoos to slaves. I don't know, but if I were of that heritage, I would be really angry about that. Actually, I am angry about that. The nerve of thoes people, animals are great, but do they think shocking and offending people is the best way to gain support for their cause?

wired

Thrawn said:
Whenever I am in AK, I make sure I kick at least one gorilla.

And they say Thrawn doesn't have a sense of humor....

Wait this is Thrawn we are talking about, could it be true???? :zipit:

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
Actually, I am angry about that. The nerve of thoes people, animals are great, but do they think shocking and offending people is the best way to gain support for their cause?

Did you see the thread about the smurf bombing ad? Yeah, I'm gonna send them some money. :rolleyes:

GoofyMom2

CatLady said:
I'm not arguing that AK and AKL animals are well cared for. I know keepers there, and I know they take good care of their animals, and the AZA is very demanding in its accrediation. However, the national committee stuff is certainly untrue in my experience with AZA facilities. Do you mean animals on the Species Survival Plan? That would make more sense than all animals bred in those facilities.

Yes, I meant the SSP. I was trying not to get too technical and too lengthy in my explanations. SSP is a national comittee, meaning it's members for each species, and the Stud Book for that species is not necassarily at the zoo that has the breeding animals..... and any animals of the SSP must have approval for breeding.

But, most animals not on the SSP have to also have approval for breeding in internal comittees. Obviously our seahorses, some birds etc aren't in this loop! :)

DisneyDefenders

There's something very important that we're all forgetting...

Disney's Animal Kingdom is many things...but there's one thing it's not...

NAHTAZU!!! :lol:

imagineer boy

CaptJackSparrow said:
There's something very important that we're all forgetting...

Disney's Animal Kingdom is many things...but there's one thing it's not...

NAHTAZU!!! :lol:

*sheds a tear* oh, its so beautiful! :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom