Animal Kingdom Villas

tehSAC

My family and I were planning on visiting the World in Jan of next year, but with my wife in school for nursing, we have decided to push back our trip until May of 2012.

Our intentions were to stay at a Moderate Resort ( POR or CBR ) because of my past experiences with the resorts. My wife on the other hand has always had her heart set on staying at AKL with a savanna view, but I wasnt sure about the budget or the bus situation, because of it being so far away from everything. Although after listening to a couple podcasts, and reshuffling some ideas money wise, I think we might take the plunge towards staying at a AKL Villa. If we do this, we will be driving down instead of flying, and using our vehicle to travel to the parks. We would do this to avoid waiting for a bus, and also the ease of just getting in and go when ever we want. There are other perks as well. Since we are not sure when we would be back ( maybe after child number 2 comes along ) this would be a trip to spluge a bit. It also has the in room fridge and microwave. Plus the flamingo's are a huge plus for my 4 yr old daughter. I'm not sure I have any concerns, but i'm not sure if I am missing anything.

So experienced villa guests, what should I expect? We are a very laid back family. We only plan on getting up early for two character breakfasts, and basically go on a whim. So flexibility is huge for us. Also would it be cheaper to try and rent from a DVC member, go through disney, or go through an agent to book our vacation. Jambo, or Kidiani? What Savannah? Lay it on me, I want to soak in all of your knowledge. I want to make this trip as memorable as I can make it.

Disneyfalcon

I love love Animal Kingdom Lodge. The villas are just gorgeous. Waking up to animals outside your balcony just can't be beat.

We didn't have any problems with the transportation, but if you've got a car you'll have great flexibility.

I prefer Jambo to Kidani. Mainly because of the food court area and giant lobby. Kidani is great too, but I'd give a slight edge to Jambo. :)

Going through an agent should be the same price as Disney, maybe even better since a good one is watching out for deals for you. Renting points is cheaper sometimes. There's a slight hassle there and an element of trust, but it can work.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I find the bus situation at AKL to be one of the most overblown and unsubstantiated claims that I see. AKV is my home resort for DVC and even though I have only stayed once (and will be back in just a couple of months), I thought the bus system was better than any of the other deluxe resorts. Buses came frequently and only make two stops between both areas of the resort, which is much better than the Epcot area. It only took 15 minutes from to get to the MK once I boarded the bus at Kidani as well. So don't worry about what you hear about the bus situation, because it really isn't the monstrosity that people make it out to be.

Otherwise, the resort is very nice and very laid back. You're best bet is to rent points from a member (and I would do that soon) if you are looking to save money. Keep in mind that if you do that you will be treated like a DVC member, and will not get daily housekeeping (trash and towel on day 4 and full cleaning on day 7 if you are still there). If you book through Disney, it will be as if you are staying at any other resort.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

You're going to LOVE DAKL! It's my favorite resort (although I'm a bit biased. lol). Here's some of my answers to your questions.

- The buses are no better or worse than any other Deluxe resort. The reason people think it's worse is because it is a lot farther from all the parks (except AK obviously) than the other resorts. If you have a car it's a plus but don't be turned off by the buses.
- I prefer Kidani over Jambo. I just like the atmosphere better. That being said, most people prefer Jambo because of the QSR (which Kidani doesn't have) and the bigger pool. Both have their pros and cons so pick which one looks like it best fits your taste.
- My favorite savannah is Sunset. I really don't think it's worth paying the premium for the Arusha savannah because I feel like the views are better on sunset and the animals in my experience have always been more active.
- As someone said, if you want to be a DVC guest as far as housekeeping is concerned renting points is a good idea. If not, then look for a good deal and book online like any other room.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Upvote 0
I've stayed at AKL many times, both in Kidani and Jambo House. It's easily the most beautifully themed resort on property. The pools are gorgeous (I actually like them better than Stormalong Bay) and feel like an actual esape, not just like a resort pool. Mara is a "better" quick service location plus you have 3 other good restaurants. Having said that, I think the buses stink. They're easily as bad as the All Stars.

I have only stayed on rented points at AKL. You can save a lot of money if you rent but you have to be able to project your ability to travel months in advance and you have to trust who you're renting from. That can be a little scary. I've found that if there are discounts out, I prefer to just go directly from Disney, rather than risk a rental, but I've never had one go bad either.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Well, you probably already have the answers to your questions but I'll just echo what's already been said.

I've only stayed at Kidani and we're just in love with the place. Personally, I like Kidani more than Jambo House, but of course you can't go wrong with either. The biggest con for Kidani is the lack of quick service food. There is a limited menu for the pool bar but other than that if you're looking for a quick meal you have to head over to Jambo. There is an internal shuttle that can take you between the two and it usually runs until 9/9:30, I think!?! But the walk is not far at all and I've walked it with two children many times.

I like Kidani better b/c it has such a laid back feel to it. Everyone seems a little more relaxed and running at a slower speed than the rest of the "World". The pool is smaller than Jambo's but never crowded. And if you have kids the water-play area at Kidani is amazing! My kids made so many friends and had so much fun there.

I found the bussing great but if you have a car than this doesn't really matter to you. I never found the bus stops full or the busses for that matter. There's always a bench to sit on while you're waiting. And Kidani is the first stop for the busses!

Upvote 0

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I am going to agree with DisneyInsider on the bus situation. I have NEVER had any bus problems to and from the parks or DTD. i have stayed there four times over the past 3 years and it has been great. My December reservations are currently set for there as well. The villas are outstanding and don't rob your points either.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I am in agreement with the other responses. The bus situation is completely overblown. For whatever reason people on some boards give the impression that it takes 2days on a pack mule to reach a park :veryconfu simply not the case. It is handy to have a car to get to an adr on schedule but not a necessity. I would go with renting points from a dvc member. A great place to start is mouseowners.com. i rented points from another member to complete this years reservation and it was a great value and no hassle. If you must have daily housekeeping then paying disney directly may be your better option. Youcould compare quotes from both and see which works best. I don't think you could go wrong with either jambo or kidani as i enjoy both. One caveat to renting points is make sure akl is the members home resort and book asap to secure your dates/ room type as after the 7 month mark it can be very hard to secure specific dates/rooms. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom