Animal Kingdom Lodge

moosie

Yeah! In June we are finally making it back to WDW after 6 years and staying at AKL. Has anyone stayed there? What was it like? Do you have any tips for us? Ak was not even open when we last visited. Thanks! Moosie:sohappy:

ZHoyt

Even with bus times being on par with other resorts, the argument about AKL being isolated holds up. MK resorts and EPCOT resorts all have parks and other resorts within a very close distance that you can take non-bus transportation to. AKL has only AKL and AK, which closes early.

Yes, this isolation is a problem at many other WDW resorts, but the other deluxe resorts all have the proximity to things mentioned, thats what makes them so great, IMO.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Hmm, I never found that to be true for me. I plan my days around the activities I'm going to do, not the distance from my resort to another place. I guess I just never see it that way because I'm always in the place I want to be at the time I need to be there. :D

We don't go to and from I resort that many times a day. Go out to the parks in the morning, return, then go out for the evening for fun, food, drinks.

I'll plan a dinner at say Flying Fish, so I'll spend the night at that area in Epcot, or MGM. I don't see why I must stay in a Epcot/MGM resort area to enjoy it. I rather enjoy the returning to our quite little resort in the wild. Getting a snack, and watching the animals from my room.

Nice way to end the day. :D

Upvote 0

colleen313

My family and I will be staying there in August! :) We weren't even going to go on vacation to Disney World this year, but my mom won a contest at her work, which got her 2 free round trip tickets and 2 nights at a hotel. So my brother and dad are coming too, and we're spending 5 other nights at the Boardwalk using my parents' DVC.

Anyway, I also have a question....there are places to see the animals if you don't have a room with a savannah view, correct?

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

There are lots of places to see the animals if you don't have a savannah view. In fact the different savannahs have different animals so you'll want to take the time to go see all of them!

Upvote 0

imagineer99

Originally posted by ZHoyt
i've adimittedly never stayed at AKL, but it is for that same reason. AKL is so isolated, near only to AK. On the other hand the boardwalk/swan/dolphin/yacht/beach area has tons of restaraunts and entertainment at your fingertips, not to mention it is walking distance to both EPCOT and MGM. I am really intrigued by AKL, but I don't think it could beat the sheer location value of the epcot resort area, or even the magic kingdom resort area.

Granted, the EPCOT resorts have the best location on property....but you also pay about $200 more per night in comparison to animal kingdom lodge.:eek:

Now, that's sure to leave your pockets, isolated :animwink:

Upvote 0

moosie

Original Poster
Colleen,

I have heard that there are many places in AKL to view the savannah animals...what a wonderful prize your mom won...you will have so much fun!

As for the distance...I think a lot has to do with your transportation....we plan our day around the fact that we need to factor in travel time from one activity to another. We had problems staying at All Star and CB with the buses. Port Orleans was great... I do think that the end of June into early July is going to be very crowded no matter where you stay...you just have to expect it.......:cool::sohappy:

Upvote 0

Chefjason1974

Originally posted by imagineer99
Granted, the EPCOT resorts have the best location on property....but you also pay about $200 more per night in comparison to animal kingdom lodge.:eek:

Now, that's sure to leave your pockets, isolated :animwink:

Alert****My Opinions Only****Alert

I'll Say It Agian The Best Hotel All Around Is Wilderness Lodge!!!
It has the best location, The best lobby, the best pool, The best casual kid friendly restaurant (Whispering Canyon Cafe) & all this for the same price as Animal Kingdom Without that caged in feeling!!! I have not stayed at the epcot locations & i know they have great pools & restaurants but the extra $$$$$ is just too much to pay!

Upvote 0

njchris65

Caged in feeling? I never felt that when I stayed there last year.

I haven't stayed at WL, but it was SOOOOOO very relaxing to stay at the AK last year. Watching the animals is very peaceful for me. It is an exciting, yet calming experience.

I didn't have a Savannah room, but I still saw the animals a lot and I loved it.

I didn't feel far from anything. I always rent a car and drive everywhere, but when I stayed at the All Stars, I felt much farther from things than I did at the AKL (not that I really felts so far anyway!).

Obviously to each his own, I'm sure each hotel has it's fans and non-fans. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom