Animal Kingdom Lodge

moosie

Yeah! In June we are finally making it back to WDW after 6 years and staying at AKL. Has anyone stayed there? What was it like? Do you have any tips for us? Ak was not even open when we last visited. Thanks! Moosie:sohappy:

Kwit35

Even if it did smell...

Originally posted by bfilly
thanks guys. Yeah, I never really believed that it smelled because I can't see anyone wanting to stay in a place that stinks like zebra poo.
Given my choice, I would take a stinky Disney over a scent free home anyday.:D

Upvote 0

ZHoyt

i've never stayed at AKL, but i stayed at the polynesion for one night before moving. It was dank, dingy, and smelled musty. Admittedly it's been through rehab since then, but the one experience was so scarring that I will never consider it again, especially when there are so many great resorts there.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by ZHoyt
i've never stayed at AKL, but i stayed at the polynesion for one night before moving. It was dank, dingy, and smelled musty. Admittedly it's been through rehab since then, but the one experience was so scarring that I will never consider it again, especially when there are so many great resorts there.

That's what I felt about the Contemporary when I stayed there years ago. There was even mold growing in the corners in places. Yuk.

I'm sure it's better now, but that really turned me off of that resort.

Upvote 0

Ergens2

We almost always stay Deluxe. We loved Poly!! No smell in my room! We were in Hawaii on the second floor. Nice bright room too!. I would stay in AKL over Poly though. There is just such an atmosphere to the whole place. You really feel like you are on vacation in the wilds of Africa!!

Upvote 0

Ergens2

AkiraRaptor,

How has the spread been in the concierge lounge? We are snacky people and usually bring our own bottles of water because we drink so much. I have heard that the evening snacks and wines are wonderful. We are staying AKL concierge level in Oct. I am trying to keep it a secret:zipit: from my husband. He thinks we are staying at BWI. :zipit:

Upvote 0

moosie

Original Poster
We stayed at Carribean BR about 10 years ago and were disappointed in the condition of the room, lack of food service available, problems with transportation to the parks, and the resort was soo crowded.

Our last stay about 6 years ago was at Port Orleans...room was great with view of the water and transportation to the parks was good.

I'm going to take the advice and check into the cost of concierge for AKL and upgrade to a Savannah room.

96 days:sohappy:

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by Ergens2
How has the spread been in the concierge lounge? We are snacky people and usually bring our own bottles of water because we drink so much. I have heard that the evening snacks and wines are wonderful. We are staying AKL concierge level in Oct. I am trying to keep it a secret:zipit: from my husband. He thinks we are staying at BWI. :zipit:

Concierge at AKL is wonderfull! :sohappy:

Now, I've never done it at any of the other resorts, so I have nothing to compair with, but we've done it for 2 reasons.

1) We want to be pampered on our vacations. :lol:
2) We are "Tour Freaks". And AKL concierge gives you access to two Disney tours only available to concierge guests at AKL. Sunrise Safari and Sunset Safari.

The "spread" is very good. In the morning they have cerials, breads, juices, fruits, and other stuff.

Then they will do a lunch spead, afternoon, and evening. They close up the food and drink at 10 pm.

They change around what is out every day. Usally there are things you see most days, but they also will swich some stuff around.

We've only ever done AKL in Oct, so I can say for certain the place is never really busy except for the mornings. But even then is not too bad. With only 56 concierge rooms plus the suites, there are not too many people there to use it.

My favorites are the cinnimon crisps (sorts like a corn chip covered in cinnomon) (served afternoon and evenings), the zerbra domes :slurp: (served in evenings), and the special blended juice (served all day long).

They have both cold and warm things mostly all day long, and there is usally one or more of some kind of Afrcan flavoried dish out to sample. I believe the concierge CM told us that Boma makes the food.

It's not a real big spread, the entire counter is about 15 feet or so and that has everything on it except the juices. But they keep the food filled all day long.

Plus you can fill up plates and glasses and take them back to your room to snack and watch the animals. This is what we did every evening since the parks close earlier in Oct.

You'll love it. Hope you can keep that sercret till Oct...that's a long way off. I'll warn you that you will get a call or letter from concierge at some point, and the letter is unmistakeable AKL with the paper and letters they use. They will contact you to help set up your itiniary for your vacation. I would call them first and take care of it. If you call them, they may not send the letter and spoil the surprise if he should see the letter. I would tell them that this is a surprise and to contact you at a differ phone # or email address that you H wont see.

I do somethink special for the wife every year, so I make sure that they contact me with question on my cell or my work email so she will never kown what I'm up to. :lookaroun

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

Ergens2

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about the call and letter!! I will call and head it off at the pass. It would be no big deal about the mail. I get our mail everyday, but my hubby checks our vmail from work several times a day. I don't even want to think about how far away Oct. is!! It is a good thing I am going in 35 days with my best friends (girls road trip). That way I can get my fix!!

shell

Upvote 0

Jiko

AKL: My favorite resort, it's practically a park unto itself. And of course, it's home to my namesake. :)

How I long to be back there... The sounds, the smells, the vistas, the Zawadi marketplace (I think I may have bought out a substantital bit of the store) full of things to bring a bit of the lodge's "theming" home with you.

There is such peace at AKL that I don't think can be found at too many other resorts. Enjoy your stay! :cool:

Upvote 0

popkid

hey Ergens2,

we'll be there in october as well, keep an eye out in the concierge lounge for a guy in a mickey shirt surrounded by camera equipment :)

Upvote 0

Ergens2

Popkid

You just described my husband!! He is a photographer in his spare time! I think we travel with more camera equipment than luggage!!:lol: We will be there Oct 16-23. If you are at the lodge then and my husband gets lost I will know where to find him.:lol: He will talk camera's until you ears fall off. But I do love him.:animwink:

shell

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Hi ArialLover, we will be there in 30 days! I can't believe how close we are to leaving. We actually leave in 28 days but we'll be staying offsite the 1st 2 nights, to see sea world and stuff. This is our 1st time staying onproperty and our 1st time back to Disney since our honeymoon, 9 years ago!

Upvote 0

moosie

Original Poster
Wow, after listening to everyone I called yesterday and upgrade to a Savannah View room:sohappy: Also requested the Zebra Trail. The reservation person was wonderful to work with and actually worked at AKL until a year or so ago and is now in Tampa working reservations. Have not had much luck contacting Richard Petty Driving Experience but will keep trying...:D Can't wait till June! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ArielLover

Originally posted by HagansMommie
Hi ArialLover, we will be there in 30 days! I can't believe how close we are to leaving. We actually leave in 28 days but we'll be staying offsite the 1st 2 nights, to see sea world and stuff. This is our 1st time staying onproperty and our 1st time back to Disney since our honeymoon, 9 years ago!

This will be the first time for my wife and I alone as well. we are going for our 18th anniversary. Hope you have a great time as well.

Upvote 0

DCL

I stayed there the first 3 nights it was open... we had a savannah view, and it was amazing! The entire hotel is beautiful... you'll have a great time there!!!

Upvote 0

Chefjason1974

I stayed at the animal kingdom lodge last year & we did not really like it that much. The rooms were nicely appointed & the Animal view was nice but.... It is sooo big & far away from EVERYTHING!
For the same money you can stay at the wilderness lodge & be right next almost everything. The magic kingdom, Grand Victoria's Restaurants. The Contemporary Restaurants & the list goes on & on. The Animal kingdom is A big hotel & with so many people the restaurants fill up fast! We wer forced to eat in the Fast food Place called The Mara (not bad but still just fast food) In wilderness lodge you can take a boat to contemporary & eat at any restaurant on the monorail within 30 minutes the choices are way way more diverse than the always packed & overpriced restaurants at AK. Also the wilderness has a boat rental on the lakes. The fort wilderness has a rustic campfire & singalong. Also at FW the best (dare i say) Disney deals are the $4.50 Smores kit sold by the fire pit & the $3.00 pony ride for the kids. I saty at WL & just do stuff around it without going to the parks. The AK made me feel like i was in a cage. Just my opinion! P.S. we had a animal view room also but, It just wasn't enough to make up for the variety that WL offers for the same $$$ :lookaroun :lookaroun :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ZHoyt

i've adimittedly never stayed at AKL, but it is for that same reason. AKL is so isolated, near only to AK. On the other hand the boardwalk/swan/dolphin/yacht/beach area has tons of restaraunts and entertainment at your fingertips, not to mention it is walking distance to both EPCOT and MGM. I am really intrigued by AKL, but I don't think it could beat the sheer location value of the epcot resort area, or even the magic kingdom resort area.

What I think needs to be implemented to fix the problem is better transport around the park. Whatever hapened to plans for lightrails? If AK/AKL was connected to the rest of the park in an elaborate lightrail system, it would be much more desirable.

I know it would be highly costly, but I really think a lightrail system would be the best upgrade imaginable to WDW as a whole, much better than any ride, or even a group of rides, IMO.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Ok, I won't go into another "AKL is so far away from everything" rant again...:D Oh I could...I would...but it's after midnight and I need watch Brother Bear. :lol:

So, for your reading pleasure... the bus times from a post Tyler made a few months back..and please, someone tell me why AKL is so far away when it only take 1-3 min difference than the other resorts, and note that's not just longer... AKL is sometimes 1-3 min CLOSER too.

Have fun!

--------------------------------------------------------

AKL -> DAK - 5 mins
AKL -> Epcot - 9 mins
AKL -> Studios - 8 mins
AKL -> MK - 13 mins

Port Orleans/OKW -> MK - 11 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> Epcot - 6 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> Studios - 9 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> DAK - 13 mins

Coronado Springs -> MK - 10 mins
Coronado Springs -> Epcot via BB - 10 mins
Coronado Springs -> Studios - 6 mins
Coronado Springs -> DAK - 7 mins

Caribbean Beach -> MK - 11 mins
Caribbean Beach -> Epcot - 7 mins
Caribbean Beach -> Studios - 5 mins
Caribbean Beach -> DAK - 7 mins

Epcot Resorts -> MK - 11 mins
Epcot Resorts -> DAK - 11 mins
(Depending on route... add 2 mins per resort...)

MK Area -> Studios - 11 mins
MK Area -> DAK - 13 mins
WL/FW -> Epcot - 6 mins

Routes can vary. Add for the following:
CR/Po - Add 4 for CR
CR/Po/GF - Add 7 for CR, 4 for Poly
WL/GF - Add 5 for WL
WL/Outpost - Add 5 for WL
WL/Settlement - Add 3 for WL
FW alone - Add none

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom