Animal Kingdom Lodge or Villa

BettieM16

Original Poster
Hey everyone!! Planning our honeymoon for next year and all of sudden my fiancé has asked about staying at the AK resort (which is PRETTY much my dream) I was planning on asking my travel agent to check into a balcony view of the safari and the one bedroom villas...but as I was researching someone posted that they don't recommend these resorts for first time trips...this is his first time...can anyone explain why it may not be a good first trip resort? Sorry for the long post!! Thanks!!

ShareBDwithMickey

I can't expain why anyone would say not to stay there for your 1st trip.

My 1st & until, Wednesday coming, only my 2nd onsite hotel was AKL. We did a split trip for our 25th two years ago, AKL 1st & the Beach Club 2nd, AKL was by far in a way the superior location imho. Beach club was a great location but totally lacked the soul an ambience of AKL.

You will hear people say AKL rooms are dark & thats true, but it is also totally in keeping with its theming. It is awesome & there is so much happening which is largely unique as an offering at WDW.

We loved it so much that there was no question of staying elsewhere. I can hardly wait to get back.

If AKL is your dream I say go for it, if your trip is a reasonable length you could always do a split stay if you want to try another location, although I wouldn't be tempted.

epcotisbest

Hey everyone!! Planning our honeymoon for next year and all of sudden my fiancé has asked about staying at the AK resort (which is PRETTY much my dream) I was planning on asking my travel agent to check into a balcony view of the safari and the one bedroom villas...but as I was researching someone posted that they don't recommend these resorts for first time trips...this is his first time...can anyone explain why it may not be a good first trip resort? Sorry for the long post!! Thanks!!
Here is why it is a good first trip resort. Where else can you see this from your room?
Giraffe.jpg

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your impending wedding and honeymoon!
The resort is beautiful with great dining options, beautiful scenery and views, and I'm sure the one bedroom villa will be quite spacious and comfortable. The only con for us is that we are used to staying closer to MK or Epcot so we just felt a bit separated but this is just our preference to be closer.
I'm sure you'll love it all-have a wonderful time.

tigger1968

The only reason I could think about why someone wouldn't recommend AKL for a first trip would be that it's a bit more remote from the parks like MK or Epcot. So totally ignore that notion and book your stay at AKL and have an amazing honeymoon. As others have said, the resort has amazing theming, great dining options, and of course the animals, among many other great reasons to stay. You'll have an amazing stay, trust me on that.

glvsav37

We are going to stay AK for the first time this trip. B/c of the location (important to us b/c of kids, strollers, etc), we are going to a split stay and handcuff our AK days and BB day to the time we are at AKL. This way we are within a stones throw of these from the resort. Then move over to Bay Lake tower for the remainder of our stay and do our MK and Epcot touring from there.

Weather_Lady

AKL is not recommended for first-time visitors (at least, on sites I've seen that mention this) because of its relative isolation from all parks but AK -- for a first-time visitor or a one-time visitor whose time is precious, it's going to require a few minutes of extra travel time to get to the other parks.

I certainly wouldn't consider it a big deal, especially on a honeymoon, when seclusion is probably a positive rather than a negative! If you are more than a year from your wedding/travel dates, I'd also suggest having your travel agent look into the cost of a DVC savannah-view studio villa rental. You might find that it costs significantly less than the cost of a standard savannah-view room at rack rates, even with the added cost of travel insurance. (To look at the numbers yourself, just visit David's DVC rentals or the DVC Rental Store websites to view the current rates/point prices).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you are more than a year from your wedding/travel dates, I'd also suggest having your travel agent look into the cost of a DVC savannah-view studio villa rental. You might find that it costs significantly less than the cost of a standard savannah-view room at rack rates, even with the added cost of travel insurance. (To look at the numbers yourself, just visit David's DVC rentals or the DVC Rental Store websites to view the current rates/point prices).
Definitely something to consider, but I'd never have booked a honeymoon trip (or any trip, for that matter) that didn't include housekeeping.

Weather_Lady

Definitely something to consider, but I'd never have booked a honeymoon trip (or any trip, for that matter) that didn't include housekeeping.

If it's important to them, they can still get daily housekeeping in a DVC rental if they're willing to pay a little extra for it. ($30/day for a studio)

...and apparently your honeymoon/hotel shenanigans are much wilder than mine! ;):eek::inlove::jawdrop::happy: There were six of us (including 2 kids) in our last DVC rental and no daily housekeeping, and while our bed-making was a bit haphazard, we had no problems keeping a 2-bedroom villa spic and span with a bare minimum of effort.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
...and apparently your honeymoon/hotel shenanigans are much wilder than mine! ;)
YIKES! That's not what I meant haha. And now that I'm thinking back, I'm 100% totally a hypocrite because my honeymoon was paid for with Hilton Grand Vacations points trading into Old Key West... without daily housekeeping. So I'll modify my original statement to "I'd never do a trip without daily housekeeping... unless money is a major issue as it was for me when I got married."

PinnySmart

Please ignore wherever you read that AKL is not good for 1st time visits(and after reading that I would ignore everything else on the site as well). AKL is not that much farther from the parks than the other resorts. It feels isolated and that is on purpose. You are supposed to feel as if you have been transported to another continent, and you will. The environment is buzzing with life due to the wildlife and incredible cast members. Also if you are thinking of a villa then please rent DVC points and don't pay Disney's rate unless it is deeply discounted. Renting points will likely save you money. We rent out points for $12/point. Some brokers charge more but you will still save. If you choose an individual to rent from ask for references and read the contract very carefully. I can't think of a more magical place to spend a honeymoon. It will be like 2 trips in one because AKL is a destination all on it's on. I have found that a lot of those who bash the location have never stayed at the lodge and most have never even visited.

alissafalco

IMG_2244.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2989.JPG
IMG_76691.jpg

How can you beat that for a view?? and even if you don't get a savanah view there is viewing throughout the hotel everywhere. Even as you walk through the hallways they have glass windows you can see everything. Not to mention all the restaurants there are excellent. We ate at Boma for breakfast and dinner:hungry:, Sanaa:hungry:, and Jiko:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:. Jiko was my favorite meal on property.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I can be your guneia pig! We leave for our Honeymoon Nov 9th! AKL (Jambo House) Deluxe Villa. Its our first time going to WDW together (both of us have not been in about 5 years each) she has never stayed on property. We rented the points so we will be able to tell you about that experience, how it was without mousekeeping, general AKL honeymoon experience, or anything else about honeymooning at AKL you might be wondering about. Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding!!!

KCL

I'll be staying there for nine days this December. You can safely ignore any advice that tells you not to stay at AKL. The resort has incredible rooms, authentic theming, outstanding restaurants, and animals outside your window.

Last edited:

yedliW

I am a relative noob when it comes to staying at Disney, but in my 3 stays, 2 at Saratoga Springs (including a 1br suite for our honeymoon on DVC points) and 1 at AKL Kidani Village, I didn't notice an appreciable difference in bus rides to and from the parks.. part of that may be that there are 5 stops at Saratoga Springs, and only 2 at AKL.. We will be back there in 2 weeks..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom