Animal Kingdom Entrance

Laura

Premium Member
I think Animal Kingdom is a beautiful, awesome park, but it's also a park that is VERY difficult to enjoy when it's hot out. It's always sweltering, and requires an exorbitant amount of walking to get from place to place. Most of my time spent there all I can think about is how dang hot it is and how I wish things were a little closer together. Leaving the park, I'm usually sweaty, exhausted, and grumpy. :lol:

With that said, I think out of the 20 or so times I've been to Animal Kingdom, there was 1 time when the weather was SUPERB. It was a phenomenal experience! Enjoyed every second of it and got to take the extra time to explore the hidden trails and check out the animals and everything.

It's a great park with the worst kind of weather I guess. :lol:

voodoo321

I like the entrance the way it is but thought one of the original ideas was interesting. It would have been themed like the ruins of an old time zoo, kind of like a Main Street with the shops and eateries being themed like old animal exhibits and cages, with evidence of some sort of escape(bent, broken bars etc.) There was going to be a double deck carousel as well. It would have most likely had a little bit of a carnival atmosphere gradually becoming more overgrown as you moved in. Then you'd cross over the the "wild" that all the animals escaped to.

techiegsy

I also jhear about how DL's MS/train was built as a sort-of curtain for the "movie", and I never really understood what it meant.

It's because you go into the blackness under the train stations (Just like a film where it goes dark before the start) before it opens up into Main street!

Horizons1

I like the entrance the way it is but thought one of the original ideas was interesting. It would have been themed like the ruins of an old time zoo, kind of like a Main Street with the shops and eateries being themed like old animal exhibits and cages, with evidence of some sort of escape(bent, broken bars etc.) There was going to be a double deck carousel as well. It would have most likely had a little bit of a carnival atmosphere gradually becoming more overgrown as you moved in. Then you'd cross over the the "wild" that all the animals escaped to.

This carousel was actually proposed as one of the original icons for the park.

Skylinecar1982

Oh, and "Genesis Gardens" was a MUCH better name.
"Oasis Gardens" isn't even true. Where's the desert?
Separation of Church and Mouse... more like separation of Mouse and Dictionary.

Have you even took the time to maybe look up the word Oasis??? Number 2 seems to fit quite nicely.

Main Entry: oa·sis
Pronunciation: \ō-ˈā-səs\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural oa·ses \-ˌsēz\
Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek
Date: 1613
1 : a fertile or green area in an arid region (as a desert)
2 : something that provides refuge, relief, or pleasant contrast

_Scar

It's because you go into the blackness under the train stations (Just like a film where it goes dark before the start) before it opens up into Main street!

:lol:

Yea, I got the gist of it. I just haven't been exposed to it and seen the effect like I have in DAK with The Oasis, ya know? :shrug:

Have you even took the time to maybe look up the word Oasis??? Number 2 seems to fit quite nicely.

And Florida as been very hot and dry lately, so #1 too :p

Rob562

Plus, the parking lot and bus stop areas were left pretty open, barren and desert-like so that you'd have the stark contrast with the Oasis when you entered the park. (Or so says WDI)

-Rob

kcnole

I know most people here will disagree with me, but for some reason DAK really doesn't do anything for me as a park. We visited again this past weekend and took my son for the first time. I thought that maybe with him along that we'd have a different view. I didn't. I really don't have a huge desire to head back to DAK and I really don't know why. There's nothing there that creates that sense of magic to me. I actually have a better time visiting the Jacksonville zoo than I do DAK.

I think part of it is the extreme lack of rides. Yes, it has some good E-tickets in The safaris, Everest, and possibly Dinosaur and the rapids. It also has a few good shows. But it needs a lot more C-ticket rides sprinkled around. Its part of the same problem I have with DHS currently. I think if about 3 dark rides of some sort were added throughout the park it would really make the place feel more magical to me. I get far more excitement and magic when I finally see SSE, or hear the music of Hollywood at DHS. Maybe its just a nostalgia thing for me. DAK was the only park that I don't have childhood memories of, and maybe since I don't have that reference point it doesn't do much for me. I don't know.

jhastings74

Oasis is absolutely amazing. AK, more than any other WDW park, offers great reward for anyone who is willing to slow down and admire the environment from the park. Oasis is a reflection of that, that is why AK is much more than the small number of rides/shows that appear on its guide map. :)

Completely agree. And I learned to appreciate it even more as a CM there when I would start my shift before park opening or after closing at night. Those are incredible times to walk around and just enjoy the park.

1DisneyDad

The Oasis does exactly what it is supposed to do. It provides a buffer to transition us from the busy parking lot and bus stops to the more natural, lush AK environment, and it allows for a wonderful first view of the Tree of Life and Discovery Island. Walking up the hill and getting this striking view is exactly how the imagineers wanted to present it. Like the entrance to MK and the first real views of Cinderella Castle, it was well thought out and accomplishes the goal. Every time I get to the top of that hill, I find the Tree of Life awesome!

The only time I ever hurry through the Oasis is if we arrive at park opening and rush to ride EE, PW and Dinosaur several times (if emh morning :)). I always hate doing this too (the rushing, not the riding). If we arrive at any time besides park opening, we usually spend about 10 minutes in the Oasis, which sets the mood for us. Although I love the 'thrill' rides at AK and the other parks, I very much enjoy slowing down and enjoying the details and theming of the parks, and enjoying the Oasis 'forces' me to relax and slow down.

Typically at AK, after a hectic start and riding, we'll slow down and stroll through Pangani, Maharajah and the paths at the base of the Tree of Life. We'll also check out Flights of Wonder, The Village Beatniks, The Tropicals, sit by the water with our Flame Tree BBQ food, and just enjoy the plants and animals. I think that all the parks can allow for slowing down to 'smell the roses', but none moreso than AK. The Oasis does a great job sending the message to guests that they are entering a very organic, living park which is unique compared to the others at WDW. I just find the Oasis a wonderful, relaxing space and a perfect entrance for what lies beyond.

This was perfect.

TheBeatles

I enjoy it because it's something different.

However, I don't enjoy seeing Cast Members from all areas of the park walk by me with their lunch boxes so they can go home.

Why was the Cast parking designed to utilize the main entrance?

Captain Chaos

I like this thread... I posted this on another message board... Here is my take on Animal Kingdom in general:

Animal Kingdon is fastly becoming my favorite theme park in Walt Disney World... While I enjoy all the parks, there is something about Animal Kingdom that grips me... What exactly is it about Animal Kingdom that I love so much??? I am not sure... Maybe it is the theme... Maybe it is the story... Maybe it is the scenary... Maybe it is the attention to detail the Imagineers put in designing the park... Maybe, it is the fact that it is a different kind of theme park that I like so much...

When Animal Kingdom first opened, I admit, I hated it... I felt the park was too big, too spaced out... Too much walking had to be done, which tired you out too fast, especially in the hot Florida summer sun... There were not enough ride, not emough to do.. Animal Kingdom was, in the begnning, nothing but a half day park, and really, a waste of a day... In my opinion...

But now, I can spend the entire day in Animal Kingdom... I can spend half the morning just walking around taking in the scenary, exploring Discovery trails... I can spend a lot of time in the queues, checking out the artifacts, and piecing together the story the Imagineers are trying to tell with the attraction... When I walk through Africa, I feel like I am atually transported to a real African village, waiting to take a real life African safari... Exiting Africa and entering Asia, I am transported to the Asian continent; where I can explore the Asian forests and jungles, see the animals in person that call Asia their home, and where I can climb to the top of Mount Everest and encounter the mythical yeti... I can travel over a billion years back in time and visit the age of the dinosaurs, and become sidetracked by a hokey road side carnival that is grossly out place and extremely tack, yet very fun at the same time... And then finally, over to a desert oasis, where we find out how tough it is to be a bug, and where the Tree of Life inspires us to respect and appreciate all forms life, whether human or animal or otherwise...

Sure, Animal Kingdom is not a complete theme park, not by any Disney theme park standard... But, what the park lacks in rides it makes up for in theme, in detail.. There are plenty of hidden trails for you to explore... There is plenty to see and more to do than one might think... Would Beastly Kingdomme have solved this issue??? Don't know, and we never will, so ther really is no sense dwelling on it.... Would a new land help out?? Well, it cannot hurt... The Austrialian Outback or even Mysterious Island complete with Tokyo DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction will do wonders for Animal Kingdom... But, again, no sense dwelling on something that is not here... Let's just appreciate what we do have, and enjoy Animal Kingdom for what it is... A theme park wonder and an Imagineering triumph...

Captain Chaos

MORE:

Dinosaur, despite its flaws (and no, there is no such thing as a perfect attraction, there will always be something lacking somewhere) is a magnificent ride... A few tweaks, and possibly renaming it Countdown to Extinction again, would really spruce this ride up...

Kali River Rapids also lacks... But, what it lacks in length, it makes up in fun and theme... And yes, if you pay attention, you can see the story unfold in front of you...

Take a day in Animal Kingdom and relax... Take a stroll through the Oasis Discovery Trails... Sit back and people watch... Listen to the background music... Take in the sights around you... Pay attention to detail, how the lands transitiion into each other...

I also didn't mention the restaurants... Yak N Yeti is a fine dining establishment... Rainforest Cafe is generic.. Tusker House is very good... And the counter service dining options are some of the best on property..

No, I am not drinking the Animal Kingdom Kool Aid... I truely do enjoy and "GET" what Imagineering and Disney set out to create when they built this immersive theme park...

BTW: Buy the Animal Kingdom soundtrack... The music on this CD is some of the best mood music you can listen to, especially if you just want to sit back and relax at home...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom