Animal Kingdom Entrance

heartodisney

Original Poster
The Oasis entrance is supposed to serve the same function as Main Street, U.S.A. does at the Magic Kingdom Park, but as unspoiled nature and a buffer zone entering the gates. It is also introduces us to the stories of the park through animal sculptures, ohter animals in close proximinty, rushing waterfalls, and varieties of plants from other locales of the planet. The animals are not supposed to be on "display" as so much as just going on about their business and were chosen because they are perceived to have a gentle disposition. This is to help "achieve" the sense of welcome that the land is intended to embody. When your journey through Oasis is done, you come around a corner, pass an an archway to the bridge and then you see the Tree of Life. My question...How does all this really make you feel? It is such a DIFFERENT type of entrance to a park. I am excited during my walk "up" the path in Oasis..and even more so when I see the Tree! How about everyone else?

Chu-Chi Face

Yeah, its a really clever concept, most don't even realise the purpose of the Oasis. Although even after all these years its never a slow walk or meander up the path, for me, its more of a charge! Just way tooooo excited!!!! :sohappy:

UberMouse

Yeah, its a really clever concept, most don't even realise the purpose of the Oasis. Although even after all these years its never a slow walk or meander up the path, for me, its more of a charge! Just way tooooo excited!!!! :sohappy:

I am exactly the same way. Straight through to either EE, or Dinosaur for me. I kinda wish you could see the ToL from the entrance, but I guess it works in it's own way as it is.

peter11435

Most of the animals chosen for the Oasis are Crepuscular. This was done so the animals would be most active and visible to guests as they were entering the park in the morning and again as they were leaving in the evening. This made more sense with Animal Kingdom's original 7:00-7:00 (dawn to dusk) operating schedule.

Bairstow

Crepuscular.

I bet your SAT score was through the roof.

On topic though, I think the Animal Kingdom entrance, AS an entrance, is a total failure. It doesn't build any feelings of suspense, it's hard to navigate, and since there's no visual reference to where it is (No main road or concourse pointing from it to the parks main visual reference, in this case the HomeTree) it's often difficult for guests to figure out how to get back to the exit and the end of the day without a map.

That said, there are some VERY neat little pathways and things to see in the entrance area that a lot of guests would never bother to see if they could just charge down some main thoroughfare to the big rides.

Oh, and "Genesis Gardens" was a MUCH better name.
"Oasis Gardens" isn't even true. Where's the desert?
Separation of Church and Mouse... more like separation of Mouse and Dictionary.

Little Princess

It's kind of pointless and even an obstacle to those who fly by to go the fast past stations. I just dont think too too many people notice it. :( Although, I do believe, when making your way through the crowd, everyone's mouth drops when the ToL is revealed, it's like a wow moment. Everyone's silent for a millisecond, they're taking it in. It never gets old. :) I wish they would spread it out a little bit, though. The sidewalks are hard to maneuver through and you pretty much cant see anything when there are billions of people at opening time.

MrX8991

I think it's a good concept, but kind of pointless since most people are running to get to Expedition Everest. I know I've never really spent too much time in the Oasis.

the-reason14

I am exactly the same way. Straight through to either EE, or Dinosaur for me. I kinda wish you could see the ToL from the entrance, but I guess it works in it's own way as it is.

Same here, I could honestly careless about the animals at the animal kingdom, be it in the oasis or anywhere else. I usually just do E:E and try to Dinosaur, and I'm out.

But I am going to try and spend alittle more time exploring this July. Its not like I've never done it, its just that recent years, I could careless about all of that.

wolf359

I think the biggest key to "getting" Animal Kingdom is being willing to slow down and really focus on the look of the park and the incredible detail built into everything there. Feeling satisfied with a visit really requires being more involved in seeing the animals and living in the fantasy you really have traveled to a different place.

Which isn't a very popular point of view, based on how many times I read "there's nothing to do at Animal Kingdom, it's not even a half-day park."

So yes, I think the Oasis is a perfect introduction to the park, but I can see why it might be considered a hindrance if the main goal in coming is just to check off riding another thrill ride.

Which is fine with me, really. Having to deal with fewer people at the animal exhibits makes for a much more relaxing visit anyway.

fractal

Oasis is very underrated and under appreciated. I try to explore and take my time more on the way out than the way in.

_Scar

The Oasis entrance is supposed to serve the same function as Main Street, U.S.A. does at the Magic Kingdom Park, but as unspoiled nature and a buffer zone entering the gates. It is also introduces us to the stories of the park through animal sculptures, ohter animals in close proximinty, rushing waterfalls, and varieties of plants from other locales of the planet. The animals are not supposed to be on "display" as so much as just going on about their business and were chosen because they are perceived to have a gentle disposition. This is to help "achieve" the sense of welcome that the land is intended to embody. When your journey through Oasis is done, you come around a corner, pass an an archway to the bridge and then you see the Tree of Life. My question...How does all this really make you feel? It is such a DIFFERENT type of entrance to a park. I am excited during my walk "up" the path in Oasis..and even more so when I see the Tree! How about everyone else?

It's nice not to be surrounded by gift shops and be in a natural setting. It really builds you up to the point where you can finally see the Tree of Life burst from the horizon :lookaroun God, do I can't wait to relive this moment.

I also jhear about how DL's MS/train was built as a sort-of curtain for the "movie", and I never really understood what it meant. I really get what it means with DAK and The Oasis. It makes complete sense. It takes you from the outside world into a place where nature reigns supreme.

I also see it as "this isn't fantasy you're walking into, this is nature taking over". It's the complete opposite of the Magic Kingdom/DHS imo and the Oasis might be the most direct way of saying it.

dove_

On topic though, I think the Animal Kingdom entrance, AS an entrance, is a total failure. It doesn't build any feelings of suspense, it's hard to navigate, and since there's no visual reference to where it is (No main road or concourse pointing from it to the parks main visual reference, in this case the HomeTree) it's often difficult for guests to figure out how to get back to the exit and the end of the day without a map.

Did you hear Joe Rhody didn't want any maps printed of DAK so that guests would have to explore their way around?

ABigBrassBand

Oasis is the COMPLETE opposite of what you would expect from a normal WDW park. Rather than immerse you right into the action, it slows down and shows you the beauty, which is why I like it. It isn't a park for the family of 5 children who want to go on all the thrill rides, its for the couple that just wants to relax. When I find "the one", I'm taking him to DAK.

BrerFrog

Oasis is absolutely amazing. AK, more than any other WDW park, offers great reward for anyone who is willing to slow down and admire the environment from the park. Oasis is a reflection of that, that is why AK is much more than the small number of rides/shows that appear on its guide map. :)

_Scar

Oasis is absolutely amazing. AK, more than any other WDW park, offers great reward for anyone who is willing to slow down and admire the environment from the park. Oasis is a reflection of that, that is why AK is much more than the small number of rides/shows that appear on its guide map. :)

This made me :sohappy:

nmj91385

i love the walk up. it's relaxing and gorgeous. it's like you step out of the jungle and come to a bridge that takes you to an amazing land

flyer31

I absolutely LOVE the Oasis and the Animal Kingdom in general. I like to hit AK half way through the trip because I find it a great place to go and just chill out a bit...with some of that Disney magic mixed in with the parade and shows and rides and all.

dreamscometrue

The Oasis does exactly what it is supposed to do. It provides a buffer to transition us from the busy parking lot and bus stops to the more natural, lush AK environment, and it allows for a wonderful first view of the Tree of Life and Discovery Island. Walking up the hill and getting this striking view is exactly how the imagineers wanted to present it. Like the entrance to MK and the first real views of Cinderella Castle, it was well thought out and accomplishes the goal. Every time I get to the top of that hill, I find the Tree of Life awesome!

The only time I ever hurry through the Oasis is if we arrive at park opening and rush to ride EE, PW and Dinosaur several times (if emh morning :)). I always hate doing this too (the rushing, not the riding). If we arrive at any time besides park opening, we usually spend about 10 minutes in the Oasis, which sets the mood for us. Although I love the 'thrill' rides at AK and the other parks, I very much enjoy slowing down and enjoying the details and theming of the parks, and enjoying the Oasis 'forces' me to relax and slow down.

Typically at AK, after a hectic start and riding, we'll slow down and stroll through Pangani, Maharajah and the paths at the base of the Tree of Life. We'll also check out Flights of Wonder, The Village Beatniks, The Tropicals, sit by the water with our Flame Tree BBQ food, and just enjoy the plants and animals. I think that all the parks can allow for slowing down to 'smell the roses', but none moreso than AK. The Oasis does a great job sending the message to guests that they are entering a very organic, living park which is unique compared to the others at WDW. I just find the Oasis a wonderful, relaxing space and a perfect entrance for what lies beyond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom