Animal Kingdom assistance please!

UberPlannerMom

I need a little assistance from some people who know and love animal kingdom. I have to admit that I have only been once so my knowledge of the park is rather limited. I can spout off height requirements and what has fastpass and what is open during extra magic hours, but I can not tell you the things you only learn from love and experience. So... here are a few of my questions. If you think of anything else I should know, please let me know!

1. I know that the animals on the safari are most active first thing in the morning... how late is too late? We are going to be at AK on Oct. 1 if that helps any.

2. What are the showtimes for Finding Nemo? The Disney website tells me Lion King and Flights, but no Nemo!

3. Where are your favorite seats for Nemo and Lion King?

4. Do the lines for the characters at camp minnie-mickey get backed if you don't hit them first thing in the morning?

5. Does anything open late or close early? I am talking jungle trek or rafiki's planet watch or anything like that.

6. We are having dinner at Tusker House at close to closing time and I hate backtracking a bunch to get to dinner... what would you suggest for an order to tour the "lands" with such a reservation?

7. What is a must see on your list?

Thanks all!:wave:

Mukta

2. try http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/. He is awesome with show times

3. I really like the Lion section for The Festival of the Lion King. Any section is good though. The seats surround the stage and the show can be seen well from all angles. For Nemo, I like the center section, but not the front. I like the second section from the bottom.

7. Festival of the Lion King and Kilamanjaro Safari are my must sees.

Upvote 0

brent2124

I need a little assistance from some people who know and love animal kingdom. I have to admit that I have only been once so my knowledge of the park is rather limited. I can spout off height requirements and what has fastpass and what is open during extra magic hours, but I can not tell you the things you only learn from love and experience. So... here are a few of my questions. If you think of anything else I should know, please let me know!

1. I know that the animals on the safari are most active first thing in the morning... how late is too late? We are going to be at AK on Oct. 1 if that helps any.
The earlier the better.
2. What are the showtimes for Finding Nemo? The Disney website tells me Lion King and Flights, but no Nemo!
Try wdwinfo.com
Lion King has great seating regardless. Go early so you can sit closer, they have audience participation.
4. Do the lines for the characters at camp minnie-mickey get backed if you don't hit them first thing in the morning?
Yes. I have never gone myself but have seen them pretty long, dont go after a Lion King show.
5. Does anything open late or close early? I am talking jungle trek or rafiki's planet watch or anything like that.
Yes they may but you will have to wait to get a show guide.
6. We are having dinner at Tusker House at close to closing time and I hate backtracking a bunch to get to dinner... what would you suggest for an order to tour the "lands" with such a reservation?
Safari first, Everest second and maybe a second safari if time allows close to your ADR

Thanks all!:wave:
See the Red

Upvote 0

boatingmama

I love Animal Kingdom soooo much! I agree with all the answers you've gotten so far...Brent did a really good job answering specifically. I don't know if you have little kids or big...but we love to walk through the Maharaja Jungle trek...it looks just like you've stepped into crumbling ruins in India. Of course you have to do the safari, Everest, Nemo and Lion King - LK has good seats all around, but stay away from too close to the stage and ramps at Nemo or you won't be able to see. Safari is best first thing...wouldn't even try it after lunch. Look for Devine...and maybe take the "hidden" paths that go behind the Tree of Life just to look at the animal sculptures up close. The Flights of Wonder bird show is really good too, especially if you get in the middle section towards the front.
Hope you have lots of fun!

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

1. I know that the animals on the safari are most active first thing in the morning... how late is too late? We are going to be at AK on Oct. 1 if that helps any. Like someone else has mentioned as early as possible but here is another tip - towards the end of the day the heat resides and the animals head back to the Savannah.
At Nemo I prefer to be in the middle on the second tier but I must warn you its general seating and they do crame as many guests in to each show as possible so reserving a specific seat is next to immpossible
The Maharajah Jungle Trek does close earlier than the rest of the attractions in Asia
6. We are having dinner at Tusker House at close to closing time and I hate backtracking a bunch to get to dinner... what would you suggest for an order to tour the "lands" with such a reservation? I would suggest seeing Africa last then, and since you can see many of the animals later in the day it may work out for your ADR's.
7. What is a must see on your list? Maharajah Jungle Trek, Pangani Forest Trail, and the Discovery Island trails for a great intimate look at the animals.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

I believe Rafikis Planet Watch does not open until an hour after Park Opening typically.

As others have said, first thing in the am is a great time for a safari, but also at the very end of the day. Since you have an adr at Tusker at closing time, check with a CM for when the last Safari departs for the day, and go back for a second tour at that time of day too(assuming you are spending the entire day at AK). The great thing about the Safari, it is never the same exact ride twice. Thats what keeps us going back.

At the nearby Pangani Trail, you can stroll at your own pace, viewing many animals, including Gorillas, as you await your ADR time as well.

Since you are going in Oct., you should see more activity in the Safari than people are seeing say .... today. Which is good.

Must do's? I have not seen it mentioned, but I really enjoy Its Tough To Be a Bug. If you have never seen it, you should.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

We have gone 2 times in the morning. the first time was around 9am as soon as the park opened and we walked right on the ride. EVERYTHING WAS OUT! it was amazing. The second time we had breakfast ADRS and couldn't make it until around 11am. and although some animals weren't out, the ones that were out were very close to your car we ever had to stop due to an ostrich in the car's path. I wouldn't go any later than noon though.

Show times can change but you'll get a sheet that tells you the times when you go to the park. We tend to go to the latest show of nemo and then leave the park after and that show is normally between 430-530. Word of advice, arrive to the show 45 minutes before it starts. last time we were there it was at full capacity 30 minutes before the show started.

This one is a personal opinion and my family all like different places to sit. For the Lion king, we almost all agree the first 3 rows in any section are the best because you can see well and also have a change at participating. For nemo I personally like the sit on the second level towards the front that way when the characters come into the audience they are right in front of you.

Depends on the character and the day. Last time we were there every character had over a 30 minute wait besides chip and dale. but we also went around 3:00.

I don't remember to be honest we normally skip those

I would start at the safari and go around that way and end around its tough to be a bug then circle back up to tusker house. We started with Tusker House and went this way around and it worked out great. you just have to watch for the showtimes.

TUSKER HOUSE is amazing! Im glad you are going.
The shows are good too.

Upvote 0

SAV

1. I know that the animals on the safari are most active first thing in the morning... how late is too late? We are going to be at AK on Oct. 1 if that helps any. The hotter it gets, the less active the animals are. In June, afternoon is poor. Not sure about October.

2. What are the showtimes for Finding Nemo? The Disney website tells me Lion King and Flights, but no Nemo! Can't help you there.

3. Where are your favorite seats for Nemo and Lion King? We like to be in the second row of the bleachers so we can see over the heads in front of us. It's fun to sit right on the side where the performers come out.

4. Do the lines for the characters at camp minnie-mickey get backed if you don't hit them first thing in the morning? Not really. It's bad to do them when FOLK is letting out, though.

6. We are having dinner at Tusker House at close to closing time and I hate backtracking a bunch to get to dinner... what would you suggest for an order to tour the "lands" with such a reservation? AK is about exploration, so just let things flow where they go. It isn't a huge task to "backtrack" through AK.

7. What is a must see on your list? Mickeys Jammin' Jungle Parade...Best parade on property.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Not related to your questions but a tip nonetheless.

DO not drink milk the morning before Animal Kingdom. Drink oodles and oodles of water, and don't kill yourself. The folliage and layout of the park can be absolutely stifling at any time of the year, with humidity and temperatures that can vastly exceed the other parks.

Upvote 0

WVParkfan

So many wonderful answers already. I'll see if I have anything more to add since the AK is our family's favorite park!!!

We always take 2 safari trips per day. One in the morning, and then one later in the day. Since they are free-roaming animals, it is a different experience every time! You'll see things in the afternoon that you won't see in the morning, and vice versa. Mornings are best, but don't sweat it if you can't be the first ones out.

3. Where are your favorite seats for Nemo and Lion King? Honestly, you don't get to choose. They try to pack the theaters, so the CM's dictate which row you go in, and make you fill in all available seats. For Nemo, the theater is so large that it really doesn't matter. For the Lion King, each of the 4 sections are themed (Giraffe, Elephant, Warthog, and Lion). It is "theater in the round," so they are all good sections. They just have different roles when you are interacting with the show. It's all good.

The longest lines form immediately as soon as the Lion King show ends. A thousand people pour out the doors of the theater and go directly to the character greetings. A good strategy would be to go to Camp Minnie-Mickey when there is a show starting, or before any of the shows start.

Shows don't start until later. But if you get there early, you'll have the time to truly discover what the Animal Kingdom is all about! Explore the hidden trails around the Tree of Life where there are live animals and amazing wood carvings in the tree.

You'll probably be bouncing all around the park as you'll be chasing showtimes or using FastPasses. Camp Minnie-Mickey and DinoLand will be the farthest away. If you can be in Africa or Asia at the end of the day, that would probably make it easier.

The key to the Animal Kingdom is to stop and take your time to truly experience everything there. Most people run from the entrance to EE or Dinosaur for a Fastpass. They totally miss one of the amazing parts of the AK, and that's the Oasis at the entrance. Take the time to explore the Oasis and talk to the CM's. Many will be holding animals and have the knowledge to talk to you and tell you more about them. Here are some other favorites:
- Do the Safari twice
- If you go to Rafiki's Planet Watch, try to go before 10am, and you might get to see a Vet giving a Tiger an exam (or other medical procedure). Also while at Planet Watch, stay and listen to any of the CM's who are putting on a show about animals.
- Explore the hidden trails around the Tree of Life
- Flights of Wonder is an amazing show that most people miss.
- Play area at Dinoland (the Boneyard) is the best kid's play area in any park.
- If you drink alcohol, the Dawa Bar in Harambe (Africa) has great cocktails and a wide selection of beers, including my favorite: the Safari Amber.
- See if you can find the "hidden Jafar" on the Pangani Forest trail. It's pretty big, but hard to find. Ask a CM for help (hint - it's near the end in the gorilla section).
- Awesome food at Flametree BBQ.
- Tough to be a bug show is really fun!
- Best daytime parade in any park is the Jammin' Jungle Parade. Lots of interaction with the characters and the fans lined up along the street. Many families chosen to be in the parade. If you want to try to be selected, talk to a CM in the Africa section early in the day and see what time the family is chosen. You may be the ones!
- Great souvenirs at the Island Mercantile shop (really unique stuff).
- Kali Rapids is great fun. If you don't want to get wet, then at least check out the queue and stop on the bridge to shoot the water cannons at the people on the boats below.
- On the Maharajah Jungle Trek, the bird area is really neat. Most people just walk through here really quickly. Take your time, get a bird map, and see if you can find them. It takes a little time, but is a really neat way to cool off and spend some time.
- Kid's Discovery Club is free, and a neat way to have your kids explore and learn in each of the lands. They get a stamp for completing a task or project.
- AND there's so much more that I don't have time to write about!! Have a great time, and when you get back please post about your experiences at the AK.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I really felt the need to ask because we royally screwed up last time. We had our brekfast at chef Mickey's that day, not realizing that the animals go to bed at the same time every day. So, we got there late and wandered around. We caught one of the last shows of Pocahontas ever, then went to the safari. We did the walk through with the bats then had lunch. My huby and I each did the stand by line for everest two or three times a piece. After that my son and I watched the parade while my husband waited in line for nemo. AFter the parade passed us I ran with my son on my shoulders over to nemo. We finally hit up Kali with no wait. We then took a spin on the triceratops spin followed by the realization that the park was officially closed. We did it's tough to be a bug during our EMH before leaving. When we left we basically left upset with ourselves for missing the other walk through animal exhibits. And I should say that we did walk through oasis and discovery island during the day, those just seemed like animals you are seeing on your way to somewhere else. It was after we left that we realized just how much we missed. This time around I want to have a pretty good cognitive map of the park going, and have the general tips hammered in to my brain as that is how we usually get alot done. We never have to pull out an itinerary or a map because I just close my eyes and pinpoint it all. Odd I know, but it works for us!

Anyway, thanks again everyone. And if anyone has anything else to add, well, please do! :wave:

Upvote 0
One quick question for those that have been to AK lately.

Does the park still have the Show Fastpass Kiosks out for use? I had heard they were @ the front of the park, and were separate from the normal fastpasses.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
How long would y'all say the safari takes? Do you think if we went straight back to the safari we could just work counter clockwise around the spokes? Or would it be better to check out the oasis, grab the autographs at the camp, then run up to the safari and work clockwise around the spokes? It will be EMH that night and supposedly they do a show of Lion King during EMH so I am thinking maybe we could catch that after the real animals go to bed for the night. What do you all think?

Upvote 0

DABIGCHEEZ

Kilimanjaro Safari is a 45min long ride with waits from 30min to an 1hr+ wait

You better check your watch... the KS takes about 20 minutes give or take a few (NOT 25)minutes..

As far as the line for M&Gs in CMM...We have seen the longer lines but usually it is not that bad. If you can get there when a FotLK show is going on... you will have zero wait.

We consider EVERYTHING at AK a MUST see or do.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

You better check your watch... the KS takes about 20 minutes give or take a few (NOT 25)minutes..

As far as the line for M&Gs in CMM...We have seen the longer lines but we usually it is not that bad. If you can get there when a FotLK show is going on... you will have zero wait.

We consider EVERYTHING at AK a MUST see or do.

Well maybe I should but the last time I was on it I'm pretty sure it was 45min. Maybe do to the rhinos passing on the road but either way I was out there for 45 min. because I was late to my ADR's in Epcot.

Upvote 0
The only question I can answer is the KS one. We always go to the safari as soon as we get there. Another recommendation is to go on right after it rains. We waited out after a big rain storm and then hopped on KS and ALL of the animals were out, even the cheetahs which we had never seen before....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom