News Animal Kingdom 25th Anniversary

AdventureHasAName

If it wasn't for DAK I'd rarely visit Walt Disney World. I live in Europe so have DLP for Magic Kingdom, Epcot I don't like (and Europa Park does the country themed park much better) and Hollywood Studio's except for Rise is either covered at DLP or I'm not bothered about.

I think this all goes back to the Eisner era of diversifying the parks to appeal to different markets but having them on one resort so everyone will visit them all and have their favourites. Nowadays MK/Epcot/DHS are becoming more and more alike with Epcot doing it badly and DHS not being able to handle the demand. I fear DAK is going to go down this path and become WDW's fourth Magic Kingdom... and when that happens I'll no longer need to visit WDW and I can sell my AKL DVC. :)
This isn't really what Eisner did. After the completion of EPCOT Center in 1982, Eisner became infatuated with getting guests on-property and then never having them leave during their entire vacation. So every time a competitor entered the Central Florida area, Eisner immediately moved to counter them with a substitute on-property.

Church Street Station resulted in Pleasure Island
Universal Orlando resulted in Disney MGM Studios
Wet & Wild resulted in Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach
Busch Gardens Tampa resulted in Animal Kingdom

Eisner wasn't doing it to diversify the parks; he did it to neutralize the competition.

cjkeating

This isn't really what Eisner did. After the completion of EPCOT Center in 1982, Eisner became infatuated with getting guests on-property and then never having them leave during their entire vacation. So every time a competitor entered the Central Florida area, Eisner immediately moved to counter them with a substitute on-property.

Church Street Station resulted in Pleasure Island
Universal Orlando resulted in Disney MGM Studios
Wet & Wild resulted in Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach
Busch Gardens Tampa resulted in Animal Kingdom

Eisner wasn't doing it to diversify the parks; he did it to neutralize the competition.
Hmmm. I think we are looking at it from two different perspectives than reach the same end. Whatever his reasoning and if it was to “neutralise the competition” by providing a Disney equivalent to a) Uni b) Busch c) Church Street d) Wet and Wild it created a much broader destination than what WDW is today which led me to say without DAK there wouldn’t be enough unique appeal at WDW to keep me returning.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ehhh... yes I do agree people expect rides first at an amusement park.. but still, you should expect animals to be a major part of a place called Animal Kingdom.
Well, everyone always says that the parks at WDW are not "amusement parks," but are "theme parks."

Does that mean I shouldn't expect amusements at WDW... that I should expect "themes" instead?

BlakeW39

Well, everyone always says that the parks at WDW are not "amusement parks," but are "theme parks."

Does that mean I shouldn't expect amusements at WDW... that I should expect "themes" instead?

Yes. If you're going to WDW for mere amusements you're gonna be met with some of the worst offerings in the country.

WorldExplorer

I hope they at bring out some characters. Not mentioned, but it did happen last year for Earth Week, so cautiously optimistic.

Last year the hyenas were on a boat; you would hear my happy squeal all the way over in Disneyland if they took them off the boat for a proper meet.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
If it wasn't for DAK I'd rarely visit Walt Disney World. I live in Europe so have DLP for Magic Kingdom, Epcot I don't like (and Europa Park does the country themed park much better) and Hollywood Studio's except for Rise is either covered at DLP or I'm not bothered about.

I think this all goes back to the Eisner era of diversifying the parks to appeal to different markets but having them on one resort so everyone will visit them all and have their favourites. Nowadays MK/Epcot/DHS are becoming more and more alike with Epcot doing it badly and DHS not being able to handle the demand. I fear DAK is going to go down this path and become WDW's fourth Magic Kingdom... and when that happens I'll no longer need to visit WDW and I can sell my AKL DVC. :)
I'm the same way with treating a home base as Disneyland in Anaheim. Round-trip flights from Atlanta to LA start at around $140 round-trip. I can get a cheap flight to Orlando for about $50, so the difference is negligible to me since the Orlando park tickets and hotels end up making a trip there even more expensive.

I only feel the need to visit Orlando to see family there and to visit EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, and of course, Islands of Adventure being the masterpiece that it is.

Ayla

I hope they at bring out some characters. Not mentioned, but it did happen last year for Earth Week, so cautiously optimistic.

Last year the hyenas were on a boat; you would hear my happy squeal all the way over in Disneyland if they took them off the boat for a proper meet.
Hyenas aren't some cute and cuddly dog. There is no way any responsible animal facility would allow the public to be in the same space as them.

Clopin Trouillefou

Hyenas aren't some cute and cuddly dog. There is no way any responsible animal facility would allow the public to be in the same space as them.
Are you confusing the spotted dogs with hyenas? The spotted dogs are absolutely ferocious but I think hyenas only eat carrion.

But in either case, I don't think either should be in a petting zoo if that's your point

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Welcome to my park and its 25th Anniversary Celebration!!

If you use the Avatar create-your-own-fish app, $5 is donated to conservation efforts.

If a billion of us each make 10 fish-avatars, we can bankrupt the company!!

The Empress Lilly

I’ve never seen confirmation that they are live animals. The lion is always asleep and could easily be an AA. It whips its tail ever 15 sec like it was programmed to do so. The giraffe was very robotic last month. I wanted it to run and it did not. Feet bolted into the ground much?

Don’t get me started on the “flamingoes”. I’ve seen more realistic ones in the Walmart Garden Center any given July.
Y'all need to learn the art of popping your sandwhich bag when the truck pauses

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom