Animal Kingdom - 11/05/07 - Observations and new stuff

teebin

Original Poster
Ok, where do I go on my birthday? My favorite place in central Florida, Disney's Animal Kingdom. A few observations and surprises follow.

First order was to see how the Yak & Yeti was coming along. 3 guys were up high on scaffolding sculpting concrete wood beams that are in the tudor style of construction that will either have concrete brick or stucco in between them. They were sculpting wood grain into the concrete.

Painting of what was aluminum frames of modern windows was going on at noon and by 3 the painting was done and the strings of ye olde lightbulbs such as hang in other parts of Anandapur were being strung from the rafters above the restaurant.

The interior of all seems complete as tables set with chairs were visible in every window.

Large trees 30' - 35' that have been planted include: Tipuana tipu, Camphor, Live Oak, and Silk floss.

I am really lost as to what they have done in the rear of the building across from the entrance to Kali Rapids. It goes way deep. Deep deep deep, way back... must be a huge area for outdoor dining. Should be over the top with new gidjits, gadjets and antiquities both real and artificial.

I arrived at the parking lot and thought, ok, not a bad crowd. Then I got into the park and it was time to eat, and.... I remembered Tusker House was closed. THE LINES FOR FLAME TREE AND PIZZAFARI were INSANE... took me twenty minutes to order.

vewy intewesting.... straws are now being offered in the park. When did this happen? The word was they were bad for the animals if they got their paws on a straw. Well, they had straw dispenser at FTB today!

Yeti on EE was in B all day. strobe stobe, stobe. All waterfalls off. All else was as should be.

Someone recently said that there was new mist added? Where? I didn't see it.

FYI the walkway on Discovery Island behind the Tree of Life is blocked off due to construction. There is no way to get quickly between Africa bridge entrance and Asia bridge entrance. Probably restoration work on the Tree of Life.

Lastly... a perfect Florida day here. 76 high, light breeze, no clouds at all. All employees were in perfect form. Big smiles on almost everyone, except oddly enough, some of the Everest train people, especially one lady operating the GO console. She looked bored and preoccupied. Otherwise, all employees seemed to be offering up the Disney spirit big-time.

It was a great day at my favorite place. Hope a few of you die-hards enjoy my detailed post.

Edit: the main entrance to Yak & Yeti is LAVENDER. My least favorite color plus it is very un-distressed thus pure color. Is this a new homage to the MK? I wish they would scrap it up a bit more. ug.

wishiwere@wdw

vewy intewesting.... straws are now being offered in the park. When did this happen? The word was they were bad for the animals if they got their paws on a straw. Well, they had straw dispenser at FTB today!
Thanks for the update!

If I recall, I remember hearing a while back that they were looking at some kind of straw that was safe. I'd bet they are paper or something that falls apart after a few minutes of use.

Better than nothing I guess. I know my kids will be thrilled :)

Edit: Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Figment82

Thanks for the update!

If I recall, I remember hearing a while back that they were looking at some kind of straw that was safe. I'd bet they are paper or something that falls apart after a few minutes of use.

You are correct on the straws. They are bio-degradable and safe should an animal accidentally eat one. Apparently the guest complaints were so great that Disney sought high and low for such a device and apparently they do not come very cheaply. I applaud them for taking the extra effort for this service.

scpergj

Thanks for the update!

Yeah...our kids (us too!) were very glad that they had straws. They were indeed some sort of paper. Worked just fine for us!

Kevin

SGT623

While others beat me to the punch about the paper straws, I just had to chime in and say that the park was PACKED yesterday as if it was the middle of summer! What the heck?! Good news for DAK though.

brkgnews

I had always wondered why they didn't use the paper type straws that I remember getting at Hard Rock Cafe like 15 or 20 years ago. :veryconfu

Thiger

lucky you!
I'd love to spend my b-day at AK!

I think i'm going to suprise my dgf by taking her for hers!
happybday!

NewfieFan

Thanks for the update!

And seeing this thread has turned into a discussion about the straws at Animal Kingdom, I'll add my thoughts... I didn't have a problem with no straws! My problem was with the drink containers that had no lids. Without the lids the containers are very flimsy - the lids made them more sturdy! My husband handed me my soda and he split it all over his ribs from the FTB because the container almost collapsed when full of soda. The ribs from FTB are delicious but not when soaked in soda!:hurl: :lol:

bork

I remember using paper straws in the Magic Kingdom during my first visit in 1984. They held up pretty well, but they did start to fall apart a bit after a while.

danv3

Pizzafari was pandemonium on Saturday. I think we waited about 25 minutes for our food, and when we found a table, there was only one chair!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
And seeing this thread has turned into a discussion about the straws at Animal Kingdom, I'll add my thoughts... I didn't have a problem with no straws! My problem was with the drink containers that had no lids. Without the lids the containers are very flimsy - the lids made them more sturdy! My husband handed me my soda and he split it all over his ribs from the FTB because the container almost collapsed when full of soda. The ribs from FTB are delicious but not when soaked in soda!:hurl: :lol:

Yeah... I am a clumsy oaf... and have been known to spill a or two... while at AK... since there are no lids to make said cup sturdier. :-\ :lol::hammer:

Unless you wanna buy the fancy souvenir AK plastic cup, w/plastic straw, and plastic animal head... but I dont feel like hauling it around all day.

GoofyMom2

Happy Birthday! What a great way to spend your special day!!

I, too, am glad to see Disney found a way to make the guests happy and keep the animals safe. :sohappy:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yep, we had our experience with the straws at Jiko. Its a paper composite that is fairly sturdy when dry. The longer it sits in fluid the mushier it gets. Its good for one soda then collapses.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
:lookaroun
Cool... I cant wait to eat one of these new straws, to see what happens. :lookaroun

:ROFLOL: No really, smaller children will be happy as will parents of those not proficient without one....to avoid soggy children:animwink: Biodegradable...it's a good thing.....

No1DopeyFan

Can't wait for my trip next year to see the Yak and Yeti, thanks for the update.. and glad to hear you had a great BDay at AK.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom