Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Stevek

Both our teams are on rebuilds now. Im ok with us tanking another season to get another lottery pick.

Yep. Looking forward to Friday to see what we get. Best we get is 1, worst we get is 7. No matter where we land, it's a very deep draft. Unless we get 1 or 2 pick, I think we end up grabbing D man. We have an embarassment of riches in offensive prospects right now. The future is bright for both teams.

Darkbeer1

There are three hotels, one at ocVIBE and two at the Angel Stadium upgrade.

They will be high end hotels designed for pro athletes to stay at, and should offer convention space.

Nirya

I put together that list and then realized that Los Angeles could host a World Cup pretty comfortably between 4 major stadiums that could run football. That’s unreal - most places do so by having an entire country host. I think only London could also reasonably do that.

Darkbeer1

I thought what I read yesterday was that the Angels project, including everything besides the stadium, would be done by 2050. Did I read wrong?

Yes, the deal requires the Angels to stay in Anaheim until at least 2050.

But the final approvals are expected in 2 to 3 years, and ground breaking shortly after.

Darkbeer1

I put together that list and then realized that Los Angeles could host a World Cup pretty comfortably between 4 major stadiums that could run football. That’s unreal - most places do so by having an entire country host. I think only London could also reasonably do that.

Well, A Group bid from the USA, Canada and Mexico won the 2026 World Cup.

One of the Proposed Venues is the Rose Bowl, due to its size, and its place in History in hosting former World Cup events.

TP2000

This is because the way we build cities is all wrong. Great cities are built at a micro-level, where a diverse number of people are given small plots of land close to one another and each builds a specific building to match the owner's desired function, and over time a cityscape of variety emerges. Different buildings spaced closely together. Different functions spaced closely together. Each person can afford to put good care into their small fiefdom, and when everybody does that together a mosaic results, and the city becomes a beautiful, varied, stimulating neighborhood.

Instead what happens now is we hand over obscene chunks of land to a single developer, who himself has to stre(-eeeeettttt-)tttcch the budget over too much square footage (or in this case hundreds of acres) and ends up going with the cheapest option that can end up with the most space, and so we get these ugly stucco, cheap facade, cookie cutter* design of buildings.

The better idea would have been for Anaheim to split the whole into smaller parcels and sell them off individually, so that a city - a real city, not a homogenous nightmare utopia - starts coming into being. Probably faster this way too, since we don't have to wait for a developer to somehow find billions of dollars (a process that takes decades) in order to finance these things.

*In architectural parlance, these building are called five-over-one. Essentially, they are the most cost effective ratio of maximum square footage for cheapest cost. Any higher and potential profit per square feet is lowered by the extra engineering (ex. seismic, infracture, etc...) that goes into it. Any lower and you haven't maximized the the habitable area that can be built on one spot. It is forever a debate in architectural circles about whether the desperate need for housing in Southern California is offset by ugly five-over-ones popping up everywhere.

Well, that's really quite interesting! I hadn't heard about this five-over-one thing before, but now it makes so much sense. There are tons of those types of apartments built in OC in the last 15 years, and now I know why!

And yes, the Platinum Triangle turned out to be very dull and not the least bit attractive. The paltry bit of sidewalk retail they have is also a failure; there's just no there, there.

Have you ever been to Portland and seen their Pearl District area? 20 years ago they took a dingy and abandoned warehouse district north of downtown and rezoned it into residential/commercial, and the place really took off. There was a golden age for the Pearl District in the 2000's and early 2010's, but my recent visits there (for Powell's bookstore and a favorite furniture store) have been scary because the deranged homeless population exploded in the last 10 years and the Pearl District has been ruined by that.

It's not safe to be a pedestrian there any more, and it smells distinctly of urine.

Portland's small city blocks only 200 feet by 200 feet, where most American cities are 400 feet or longer, must have played a part in that development dynamic. It's also why compact Main Street USA is so comforting to inhabit; the Architecture of Reassurance, if you will.

What's interesting (and funny!) about this is that now in 2020 developments like OC Vibe use a mish-mash of vintage brick and modern metals in their slick development imagery, looking more like Portland's hipster Pearl District instead of the bland stucco five-over-ones that will probably get built there anyway.

The varied and eclectic architecture of the Pearl District...
Pearl-District.png

347743-Pearl-District-Portland.jpg

Looks suspiciously like the varied and eclectic architecture of OC Vibe, except OC Vibe doesn't go past the 6th floor...

27d6cf995957d3d45f4084c705f3fe58

OCR-L-DUCKSPLAN-0624-04_75109609-1.jpg

Last edited:

Nirya

Well, A Group bid from the USA, Canada and Mexico won the 2026 World Cup.

One of the Proposed Venues is the Rose Bowl, due to its size, and its place in History in hosting former World Cup events.

The group bid is still so weird to me. Like, I get it, shared costs and everything, but all three of those countries have the ability to host the World Cup on their own (Canada would be the most dodgy, but it’d be doable).

I do know the Rose Bowl needs to undergo upgrades prior to that, because they have bench seats in the end zones and FIFA prohibits those due to how unsafe they tend to be when exposed to football fans. Of course, FIFA could give them a waiver, but you know those corrupt jerks would want one hell of a kickback to make that happen.

Edit: just to be clear, I also understand why the US went this route. After FIFA gave the ‘22 Cup to Qatar over the US despite them having no existing infrastructure to host the event, the US brought on Canada and Mexico and dared FIFA to say no to two of the best teams in NA plus Canada.

TP2000

While I agree with you in general that cities should stop going into debt to host the Olympics only to watch those buildings go into disrepair quickly afterwards, Los Angeles is one of the few cities in the world that already has the infrastructure in place to host the Olympics. Consider they have:

LA Coliseum (aka Olympic Stadium already built)
Rose Bowl
SoFi Stadium
Staples Center
New Clippers Stadium in Inglewood
Dignity Heath Sports Park (the former StubHub Center)
Honda Center
Dodger Stadium
Angel Stadium
Facilities at UCLA (including Pauley Pavilion and Drake Stadium, plus the dorms which have been used as the Olympic Village in the past)
Facilities at USC (including Gaylen Center)
Other colleges (LBSU, UCI as examples)
Beaches

Point is, the city is one of the few cities that really doesn’t need to build things to host the Olympics. At most, some of the places (like Honda Center) might use the Olympics as a good deadline to make improvements.

Agreed.

I would add London, Tokyo, Paris and New York to create a short list of cities that could host the Olympics using existing facilities and infrastructure. But nearly every other Olympic city becomes a wasteful disaster of overbuilt decadence, and it all gets abandoned about two weeks after the three week long Olympics end.

That's nice that they are going to use the Honda Center for volleyball games in 2028. It's also nice that everything they need already exists there; the freshly remodeled arena, the brand new train station no one uses across the street, a major freeway interchange 100 yards to the west, plenty of surface parking lots, and a staff and infrastructure already used to regularly hosting big concerts and lavish events there.

There is absolutely nothing Anaheim's politicians and taxpayers should do to get ready for Olympic volleyball at the Honda Center, except repaint the crosswalks, plant some fresh flowers in the street medians, string up some colorful banners on streetlamps, staff some traffic cops, and then just SMILE! and point the Olympic tourists to the nearest Starbucks.

Last edited:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster
Yep. Looking forward to Friday to see what we get. Best we get is 1, worst we get is 7. No matter where we land, it's a very deep draft. Unless we get 1 or 2 pick, I think we end up grabbing D man. We have an embarassment of riches in offensive prospects right now. The future is bright for both teams.
Too bad this draft doesn’t have a generational talent. It’s a deep draft though. I’m hoping if the Ducks don‘t get a top 3 pick, we try and draft Drysdale.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster
There are three hotels, one at ocVIBE and two at the Angel Stadium upgrade.

They will be high end hotels designed for pro athletes to stay at, and should offer convention space.
OCVibe has 2 hotels. One on the arena grounds and the other across the street where JT Schmidt’s is. The renderings show them as small boutique looking hotels with no pools, parking, or convention space.

Nirya

Agreed.

I would add London, Tokyo, Paris and New York to create a short list of cities that could host the Olympics using existing facilities and infrastructure. But nearly every other Olympic city becomes a wasteful disaster of overbuilt decadence, and it all gets abandoned about two weeks after the three week long Olympics end.

That's nice that they are going to use the Honda Center for volleyball games in 2028. It's also nice that everything you need to do that already exists there; the freshly remodeled arena, the brand new train station no one uses across the street, a major freeway interchange 100 yards to the west, plenty of surface parking lots, and a staff and infrastructure already used to regularly hosting big concerts and lavish events there.

There is absolutely nothing Anaheim's politicians and taxpayers should do to get ready for Olympic volleyball at the Honda Center, except repaint the crosswalks, plant some fresh flowers in the street medians, string up some colorful banners on streetlamps, and then just SMILE! and point the Olympic tourists to the nearest bathroom or Starbucks.

I think I saw an analysis that showed only LA, London, and Paris had the infrastructure and economic ability to host an Olympics with minimal economic impact.

New York surprisingly lacks in existing infrastructure to host an Olympics. One of their biggest problem is a lack of stadiums - the Jets and Giants share a Stadium (in New Jersey), and there are no major college football programs In the area. You have to go either way north to the Carrier Dome in Syracuse or into Jersey to pretend Rutgers has a quality stadium to do something, and none of those stadiums really work as an Olympic Stadium; essentially, the city would have to build one.

Tokyo....we’ll see. I don’t know that they have the existing sports structure to keep facilities useful after the Olympics leave, which is the other half of the equation.

Club Cooloholic

So let me get this straight, you give the owner a sweetheart land deal, yet no onus on him to ever build a new stadium, in fact he can jet in 2050 all together if he wanted, like say some Canadian city threw money and free stadium at him? He bought that team at $180mil and now its worth over a billion, I don't see why fans and cities grovel for these owners.

Last edited:

Stevek

Yes, the deal requires the Angels to stay in Anaheim until at least 2050.

But the final approvals are expected in 2 to 3 years, and ground breaking shortly after.

this is what I was referring to from the LA Times article:

“Construction is set to start by 2025 and run through 2050. According to Moreno’s company, the project could create 30,000 construction jobs and 45,000 permanent jobs, with the city receiving $1.2 billion in general fund revenue and $443 million in hotel taxes over 30 years. The data came from a company-commissioned report that was not made publicly available Tuesday.”

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster
Did you see how much the valuation of the Angels went up by thanks to TV rights?
It’s wasn’t profitable for a big corporation like Disney to keep the Angels. Most teams make a killing in local tv deals anyways. If Disney had its way, the Ducks and Angels would have been on ESPN West. Obviously that didn’t happen and they stayed on Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket.

Stevek

Too bad this draft doesn’t have a generational talent. It’s a deep draft though. I’m hoping if the Ducks don‘t get a top 3 pick, we try and draft Drysdale.

Alexis Lafreniere may very well be as close as we'll come in this draft. If Kings don't get him or maybe Byfield, I really hope they get Drysdale or Sanderson. Both are slated to be top 2 D pairing guys. Gotta find Doughty's replacement soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom