And in other "people are stupid" news...

JoeCamel

I live in Canada, the part closest to Florida, and, during our drive to WDW down I-75, I drove for almost 21 hours our first day (it would have been about 17 hours, but we got stuck in a horrible traffic jam after a rockslide just over the border in Tennessee). TBH, I really didn't start to feel tired until the last hour of our trip, but the next day, I was physically and mentally drained. Having said that, the last 2 drives to Florida, my wife and I shared the driving, and I felt much better (plus, I was able to actually take in some of the scenery in the mountains of Tennessee).
You should spend the night in Tennessee. They got this place called Dollywood......

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
I've seen when fellow guests exit the parks before they get on 536, World Drive etc, some cars take an exit turn too fast and crash into the trees.
Not too long ago on the way to Cape Cod, I saw someone literally stop and reverse for a couple of hundred yards because they missed their exit. 🤦‍♀️

Learning that you can get off at the next exit and backtrack should be part of learning to drive for EVERYONE.

JoeCamel

Not too long ago on the way to Cape Cod, I saw someone literally stop and reverse for a couple of hundred yards because they missed their exit. 🤦‍♀️

Learning that you can get off at the next exit and backtrack should be part of learning to drive for EVERYONE.
It was stressed when I learned to drive never to back up. I could see it if the road is lightly traveled and no one is around but I doubt that was the case here. You saw them.

hopemax

We saw someone on the SB FL Turnpike come to a complete stop and make a sharp left into the Turkey Lake Service Plaza. Problem is this exit is just over a little rise and so people coming up to it can't see a car stopped like that. My Dad slammed on his breaks and thankfully there was no one behind us.

Goofyernmost

Good points. I stayed in a hotel in Fredericksburg VA near DC. The hotel was full of Canadians. I was told that was the halfway point for them driving to WDW which is 14 hours away from the hotel. Driving 14 hours in 1 day will make one feel tired.
When I'd drive down from Vermont back in the day, it was 12 hours from my house to Fredericksburg and we always planned on stopping there on the way down. Even though I drove professionally for a number of years, we always stayed two nights on the road (the next stop would be near Walterboro, SC). It wasn't that I couldn't have gone on but I didn't want to be dead tired on my first day in the parks. I always wanted to get to Kissimmee around 4pm check into the hotel get stuff put away, scout the area for snack food, have dinner and rest up (that meant the kids headed to the pool) and start out fresh the next morning. I also knew the danger of driving when overtired and I-95 and I-4 were not the roads to be over tired on. It was just the way we did it. I knew many people that drove straight through. I was just on I-95 today and it was 90% trucks. Seems like a lot more then usual.

Last edited:

vikescaper

The building I work at is on a one-way street. I see several people driving the wrong way down the street in a daily basis. Thankfully, the street isn’t too busy but it still is enough for me to shake my head when I see it happening.

Lilofan

I would say one of the most dangerous roads at WDW was ( Osceola Parkway?) - the huge Welcome to WDW Archway signage and some cars would purposely slow down to film or take a pic and cars like myself would swerve so I don't rear end them at 50 mph.

PG 134

Osceola and Victory used to be pretty bad with frequent crashes in the intersection. Crashes rarely happen now since they changed the intersection adding the section that bypasses Victory and ramps for Hollywood Studios. Now it's just occasional vehicle breakdowns on side of Osceola and cars occasionally getting stuck trying to u-turn through the middle grass.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
And in fact in some places you never should. GPS is notoriously unreliable in Northern Arizona. Have paper maps.
Google maps actually impressed the heck out of me this past weekend. I went to our town pier to get fried clams and the directions could not have been better - even down to the rotary and forks in the road. The voice directions were far more clear than I expected them to be for such a convoluted area. (Lots of one-way streets, tiny alleys with businesses...it's a very confusing area that I generally avoid because it's always crazy busy and parking down there is a legit nightmare.)

JoeCamel

Google maps actually impressed the heck out of me this past weekend. I went to our town pier to get fried clams and the directions could not have been better - even down to the rotary and forks in the road. The voice directions were far more clear than I expected them to be for such a convoluted area. (Lots of one-way streets, tiny alleys with businesses...it's a very confusing area that I generally avoid because it's always crazy busy and parking down there is a legit nightmare.)
Do you know you can choose the voice? I like Australian and if you choose English you get slip roads and roundabouts

James J

In the Parks
No

Fido Chuckwagon

How do you ban it? And I say that as someone who has done it twice. Yes I agree. Both times I did it, I do not remember leaving the park. As I’m older and with kids I realize how irresponsible that was. I would love to see the train wrecks around the showcase reduced but still allow for some drinks. It’s tricky. Particularly given how much money Disney makes on it.
Given all the data analytics stuff you have to use in the parks anyway, it would be relatively trivial to ban this. Just force people to scan a magic band or admission ticket with every alcohol purchase and cut them off if they go over a certain amount in a certain time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom