And in other "people are stupid" news...

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
Having been born and raised on the south shore of MA and working and driving in Boston for many years, I only have this to say. If you don't like my driving, get off the sidewalk.

As a former WDW Bus driver, I saw things like this all too frequently.
I have been driving in MA and Boston on the regular since I got my license 33 years ago...and still do. ;)

vikescaper

Navigating WDW roadways can be quite difficult. There was one time my mom and sister were heading home from Hollywood Studios and they somehow ended up at the Epcot cast member parking lot. I believe this was before they redid Studios’ parking lot. My reaction was, “How?”

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Navigating WDW roadways can be quite difficult. There was one time my mom and sister were heading home from Hollywood Studios and they somehow ended up at the Epcot cast member parking lot. I believe this was before they redid Studios’ parking lot. My reaction was, “How?”
Having driven on WDW property for years, I simply don't understand how that happens. The road signs are very clear and easy to follow. I do understand that people don't pay attention, and that is how people can end up in the wrong areas.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
Having driven on WDW property for years, I simply don't understand how that happens. The road signs are very clear and easy to follow. I do understand that people don't pay attention, and that is how people can end up in the wrong areas.
We've only had an issue once...Google Maps sent us to the secure back entrance of AK instead of to AK Lodge. We figured out where we went wrong pretty easily.

vikescaper

They blamed the GPS but I told them that they weren’t paying attention. I haven’t let them forget about it and always give them a hard time when driving together on property. Needless to say, they are always happy when I am driving because I know where I am going.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They blamed the GPS but I told them that they weren’t paying attention. I haven’t let them forget about it and always give them a hard time when driving together on property. Needless to say, they are always happy when I am driving because I know where I am going.
I would definitely not trust any GPS directions. They rarely know the best way to get to different places.

lewisc

Here's one from Riverside a few years back...

I can, almost, see how a confused person might mistake a wide walkway for a driveway. Sometimes the apron, entrance to the walkway looks like it may be intended for cars. Sometimes the entrance is clearly only in a backstage area but sometimes part of the parking lot with some signage saying something like do not enter.

The problem is getting out once you realize your error. Back out? Hope to find an exit?

The reason a person may mistake it is because some of those walkways are designed to also be used by service vehicles.

Disstevefan1

How do you ban it? And I say that as someone who has done it twice. Yes I agree. Both times I did it, I do not remember leaving the park. As I’m older and with kids I realize how irresponsible that was. I would love to see the train wrecks around the showcase reduced but still allow for some drinks. It’s tricky. Particularly given how much money Disney makes on it.
I was just joking about the "carpool" driver. Hey, I did it again :)

I am all for drinking around the world when done responsibly...

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
I give you a lot of credit driving in Boston. It was madness trying to drive the roundabout circular yield and proceed at your own peril roadway in Cambridge MA near Harvard.
I used to drive by parts of the Harvard campus and MIT every day.

It's been a while since I've had to go to the city regularly...I don't miss driving there or needing to find parking. I can be a very aggressive driver when I need to. I just don't want to need to, lol.

Parker in NYC

5 years of driving there, 5 Year safe driver award at WDW.

On that note, I only got lost once, at TL where I ended up on a backstage road looking for the load zones. My first time driving alone at DTD but also first time I had a day shift with TL open. All ended well for everyone and my guests got a laugh out of it

I have been driving in MA and Boston on the regular since I got my license 33 years ago...and still do. ;)
I’ll be sure and walk on the street, just to be on the safe side.

Goofyernmost

I don't necessarily think alcohol had anything to do with it. There are times when we lose concentration and do some potentially dangerous things. I got my drivers license over 57 years ago and to this point, I have never been in an accident. Not one. I have gotten one speeding ticket back when the gas embargo was happening and the speed limit on the interstate was 55. I was doing 65. I got my CDL 20 years ago, ironically on 9/11. I drove passenger buses through narrow streets for years and have estimated that I have a least 2 million miles racked up over my lifetime. Yet, I on occasion have found myself doing some could have been's that scared the hell out of me. We all make mistakes and if we are lucky, we get away with them and continue on. This might have been Alcohol related, but it also might not. Until it is made public we might just be embarrassing and innocent person that will only feel worse because of what people might think. No one was hurt... no harm, no foul!

Tom P.

Until it is made public we might just be embarrassing and innocent person that will only feel worse because of what people might think. No one was hurt... no harm, no foul!
This is how I feel about it. It's easy to laugh and say "look how stupid that was" and I get it that most people here are just joking and having fun. But we all make mistakes. How many people find themselves driving the wrong way down a one-way street? This person didn't hurt anyone. It ended fine. Cast members helped them out. And I'm sure they were as embarrassed as could be. No big deal.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
I don't necessarily think alcohol had anything to do with it. There are times when we lose concentration and do some potentially dangerous things. I got my drivers license over 57 years ago and to this point, I have never been in an accident. Not one. I have gotten one speeding ticket back when the gas embargo was happening and the speed limit on the interstate was 55. I was doing 65. I got my CDL 20 years ago, ironically on 9/11. I drove passenger buses through narrow streets for years and have estimated that I have a least 2 million miles racked up over my lifetime. Yet, I on occasion have found myself doing some could have been's that scared the hell out of me. We all make mistakes and if we are lucky, we get away with them and continue on. This might have been Alcohol related, but it also might not. Until it is made public we might just be embarrassing and innocent person that will only feel worse because of what people might think. No one was hurt... no harm, no foul!
Oh, I don't either. My bet is that it was dark, they were in an unfamiliar place, and they just got disoriented. I try to be extra aware of my surroundings when I'm in those circumstances specifically because I know how easy it is for it to happen.

When I was a kid, I once watched a friend of mine drive into a concrete pylon head-on at about 30mph because they were clowning around in an unfamiliar empty parking lot at night and the light pole was already gone from the pylon and the height was such that they didn't even have a chance of seeing it. My friend and I were in another car and tried to warn them by hammering on the horn and flashing our lights at them, but to no avail. They ended up severely injured and in the hospital.

Lilofan

This is how I feel about it. It's easy to laugh and say "look how stupid that was" and I get it that most people here are just joking and having fun. But we all make mistakes. How many people find themselves driving the wrong way down a one-way street? This person didn't hurt anyone. It ended fine. Cast members helped them out. And I'm sure they were as embarrassed as could be. No big deal.
Wrong way drivers does happen with at times , with fatal consequences or callers calling 911 on a wrong way car etc . Around the 2am hour there are incidents that drivers exiting the bars in downtown Orlando think they are on I-4 W but actually are on I-4 E .

RoadiJeff

I did that, too. Actually my GPS navigated me down that road. When I stopped at the security checkpoint she joked that I had a choice of either working for Disney that day or turning around and using the guest entrance. I replied that I was on vacation from work and that I'd rather use the guest entrance. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom