An Invasion

TURKEY

Original Poster
It's not exactly news about WDW, but just think of what will happen if this comes true.

Brazilians' slow return to area buoys tourism outlook for 2002
By Jerry W. Jackson
Sentinel Staff Writer

August 6, 2002

Brazilians and their free-spending ways have been keenly missed in Central Florida's tourism market for the past several years as the giant South American nation plunged into economic crisis.

But there are signs that Brazilians may be starting to travel again in greater numbers, and on Monday U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill added more optimism by going to Brazil and endorsing the country's negotiations with the International Monetary Fund for financial aid.

Central Florida tourism operators say the drought in Brazilian tour groups to the Orlando area continues, but individual travel from Brazil seems to be picking up.

"On the street, Brazil is coming back slowly, but not to the level people would like," said Mark Brisson, marketing manager for Fun Spot Action Park on International Drive.

The Travel Industry Association of America projects that for 2002, Brazilian travel to the United States will increase to 595,000, up about 4 percent from 2001.

But that will still be more than 19 percent less than the number that visited in 2000 and well below the more than 900,000 Brazilians a year who visited annually in the late 1990s.

About half of all Brazilian visitors to the United States typically travel to Florida, generally Orlando and Miami.

Brazil was No. 2 in overseas visitors to Orlando in 2000, the most recent year for which statistics are available. Brazil accounted for 192,000 visitors that year, well below the United Kingdom's 1.3 million, but edging out Germany at 154,000, Argentina at 145,000 and Japan at 91,000.

Any rebound in Brazilian tourism is significant because Brazilians historically have been big spenders at hotels, attractions and shops wherever they visit, said Cathy Keefe, spokeswoman for the Travel Industry Association.

"They tend to stay longer, an average of 17 days, and spend three to four times as much as the average U.S. traveler," Keefe said. "That's why it's such a vital market."

Pirate's Dinner Adventure, a dinner theater near International Drive, has a sales agent in Brazil, and the agent there notes that air travel concerns and Brazilian political uncertainty, with upcoming elections, also played a role in depressing travel to the United States in recent months.

"With elections, the country gets a little crazy, but it should be much better after that," said Ana Gonzalez, sales and marketing director for Pirate's Dinner Adventure.

Although a higher percentage of Brazilian travelers these days are individuals, as opposed to groups, that trend actually could bode well for the future, Gonzalez predicts.

"The big groups in the past have really been budget groups," Gonzalez said, and particularly focusing on youth travel groups. But individual travelers tend to be older and wealthier and more accustomed to international travel, Gonzalez said.

O'Neill, who met with Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso on Monday, said Latin America's biggest economy has the right economic policies in place to continue growing.

"The United States stands ready to support Brazil as it continues to implement these policies," O'Neill said. "We support the discussions Brazil's authorities are now having with the IMF."

O'Neill's visit to Brazil comes as Brazilian officials hold talks with the IMF in Washington and after O'Neill last week caused a diplomatic spat by suggesting that aid to Brazil could end up in a Swiss bank account.

Washington defused the row after the White House said it would back international aid to Brazil and declared "great confidence" in its economic team.

O'Neill reiterated his confidence in Brazil, as well, on Monday, as he prepared to travel to other South American nations.

Jerry W. Jackson can be reached at jwjackson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5721. Wire services were used in this report.
Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...080602aug06.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

kwt10

We were at WDW in July and saw at least 10 different groups of Brazilian tourist groups. They were mostly young, load and very hard to get around. We also visited Universal on that trip and ran into three or four more goups at those parks. Did not seem to us that the Brazilian tour groups were reduced at all.

MKCustodial

I was afraid this subject would come up, but...

It was not the first time Mr. O'Neill said stuff about not only Brazil, but other South-American countries as well, like Argentina and Uruguay, and every time he says stuff our exchange rates go crazy. The Bush government hasn't been too good to the South-American economy, the Clinton administration knew how to take care of these matters a lot better. Mr. O'Neill tried to fix the situation by "explaining" what hea ctually meant, but the harm has been already done. Not that he's lying per se, there are MANY corrupt politicians down here, and I suppose not even the US is free from then, since we're all seeing all the trouble with Worldcom and AOL and Enron... But what he said together with our coming presidential elections really made up a sour mixture.

Now, I know a lot of you hate the Brazilian tour groups, as do I, and I have explained at other threads before why it WAS so. Yes, you will run at some groups and yes, they will be obnoxious and loud. But i doubt it will EVER be like the early 90s again. The reason is simply because our currency right now is worth 3 times a dollar. That's the maisn reason I'm still not helping Steve and contributing with the forum. For us, a trip to WDW is 3 times more expensive, not to mention that our minimum wage is approximately 85 dollars. Those of you who notice our sigs, I cut my next trip date from mine because it's probably not gonna happen, the money I had saved was enough for it in the beginning of the yar. Now, unless something drastic happens, it's a little more than half of what I'd need.

If the lack of Brazilians is a good or a bad thing for you, I wouldn't know. All I can say is that people that go buy a lot simply because for 80% of them they only have that chance, they'll probably never return. That one trip is put together by parents and uncles and aunts and grandparents of the kid. So if he wants to go again, it's probably gonna be with his own money, after he starts working. I'm not saying that's the situation of EVERY case, but it's a very common situation. I'm very, very lucky to have been to WDW 5 times, and to DL and DP one, and I sure am an exception.

Sorry to rant this much, but I guess I should give my point of view on the matter, as I'm on the other end of the subect. :wave:

crazyquackers

I feel empathy coming on... a little anyway

MKCustodial,

Your explaining the situation to some extent explains the worst case behavior of Brazilian tour groups. Obviously, not all are loud and obnoxious, but those that are leave an indelible impression.

But, the next time I'm trampled or surrounded with no way out or rendered deaf by the cacophony of a tour group I'll perhaps understand that these are people who are very excited to be someplace they may have dreamed about for a long time.

That is, I'll understand right up until the time my anxiety attack begins...

ToTBellHop

I understand that this is a big trip for them, but that does not condone their behavior. I recently went to England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, and I can tell you that our chaperones and tour manager would not have taken ANY of the behavior I have seen from some of the Brazilian groups. They don't seem to realize that when you go abroad, you need to respect the customs in the new nation while you are there. I don't remember our customs including cutting in lines, clapping and singing during the intro of Fantasmic, and acting like you know no English when someone tells you to be quiet...but, if it brings in money, who am I to complain. I will admit that I spent much more than I should in Europe...but hey...proud to contribute to the Euro and the British Pound:)

MKCustodial

Re: I feel empathy coming on... a little anyway

Originally posted by crazyquackers
MKCustodial,

Your explaining the situation to some extent explains the worst case behavior of Brazilian tour groups. Obviously, not all are loud and obnoxious, but those that are leave an indelible impression.

But, the next time I'm trampled or surrounded with no way out or rendered deaf by the cacophony of a tour group I'll perhaps understand that these are people who are very excited to be someplace they may have dreamed about for a long time.

That is, I'll understand right up until the time my anxiety attack begins...

Like I said, I myself don't like them. During my time as a CM I used to hide from them, cause I knew the ruckus they'd do if they found a Brazilian working there... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DogsRule!
They don't seem to realize that when you go abroad, you need to respect the customs in the new nation while you are there. I don't remember our customs including cutting in lines, clapping and singing during the intro of Fantasmic, and acting like you know no English when someone tells you to be quiet...

They don't know any better. The guides do, but you try to control 20 plus 15 year-olds... I guess everybody in here has gotten a little too excited at one occasion or another/ See, I'm not saying they are right, they are VERY wrong, but kids are kids in any culture. And no, DogsRule, 99% don't know enough English to understand you telling them to keep quiet. Our mother tongue is Portuguese. Maybe in Spanish they'd get it, maybe not.

And you were saying about customs. Well, Brazilian customs don't include bribing police officers, but that's what a police officer from California did down here last week to keep a friend of his from getting arrested for drug posession. I just want to show you that there are exceptions for every rule. All I want with this thread is to show you all the other side of the dreads Brazilian tour groups, I'm not asking you to like them.

CmdrTostada

Is the economy so bad down there because of corrupt politicians down there? I also, no offense to you custodial, like how other countries always blame their economic problems on the US.:rolleyes:

As Homer once said, "OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD!".
Anyway...the first time I really went on a LONG trip to WDW, the parks were over-run by the Brazilian tourists. The lines were always enormous because of them...

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Turbogames
Is the economy so bad down there because of corrupt politicians down there? I also, no offense to you custodial, like how other countries always blame their economic problems on the US.:rolleyes:

I'm not the best person to advance on this matter, but I beleive that the US IS responsible for the rest of the world's economy, since it's the leading economy in the world and the most influential country. It's not about its people, it's just because of its influence on the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Hyperion93
As Homer once said, "OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD!".
Anyway...the first time I really went on a LONG trip to WDW, the parks were over-run by the Brazilian tourists. The lines were always enormous because of them...

Yeah, I remember my first time as well. It was 1990 and I was 11. I remember thinking that everywhere I looked there seemed to be someone speaking Portuguese... :lol: And there even't were International CMs that much around yet.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Hyperion93
Heh, it was the same with me. My mom was always complaining about them, saying they were rude and annoying. :lol:

During my time as a CM, I apologized to all my managers and some of my fellow CMs as well on behalf of the tour groups. :lol: I remember the managers saying "yeah, we understand they're happy and all, but do they NEED to cut lines?". :rolleyes: It's sad, really.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I worked with two people from Brazil a few months ago, and I got to talking with one of them about WDW. He explained the whole family/extended family chip-in-the-money thing they do to seen the kids off to WDW. He was one of those kids as well.

I told him about the rudeness and other issue that have already been brought up here on this thread.

His response was (and he isn't like this anymore as an adult, this was what happened as a kid) that they knew they were cutting in lines, and ticking people off. They didn't care. He said for there group it was almost a right of passage to see how far they could go before really getting in trouble.

And by geting in trouble he said they had gone as far as crawling around in the vent systems in the hotels! He said it didn't matter what it was, just as long as they were doing something, and the more outragiuos, the better.

So I'm not knocking you MKCustodial, but sometimes they do know exactly what they are doing, and really don't care about the others around, and if they are ruining others trips or not.

He told me that he has since gone back to WDW now that he lives in the US, and he does they same thing as you, apoligizing for his bad behaving country mates to CMs and others around.

Like you said, kids will be kids, but I think they need a little more control.

westie

I will personally change my reservation

In 2000, I had a run-in with a tour group of B-boys and it was everything listed above and more. I couldn't believe the cm's would let people get away with that kind of stuff and when we tried to take matters into our own hands, i.e. tossing them out of line, the cm's approached us and told us to calm down. Why? Language barriers and who speaks english. Sheesh, so when did the happiest place on earth become not so happy?

MKCustodial

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
And by geting in trouble he said they had gone as far as crawling around in the vent systems in the hotels! He said it didn't matter what it was, just as long as they were doing something, and the more outragiuos, the better.

So I'm not knocking you MKCustodial, but sometimes they do know exactly what they are doing, and really don't care about the others around, and if they are ruining others trips or not.

Sorry, I thought I had made myself clear! :lol: Yeah, they do know what they're doing. They figure since nobody understands them, they can do whatever they want. In fact, many of you have probably been called more names than you can possibly imagine... :rolleyes: You know, like ordering food at a restaurant including a bad word at the end of the sentence that the CM won't get it anyway? And at hotels, I've heard cases of police coming more than once to control things, beds being broken, people getting into CM-only areas, shoplifting stuff like pens and keychains... It's really bad. But, when the time comes for an agency to sell a package, how can they know if that is a good or a bad kid that they are selling it to? And who knows what he'll decide when he starts getting influenced by others? It's tough, really... I've thought about trying to control them at the parks from now on, much like we all try to help regular guests with our WDW knowledge (pseudo-CMs) but I suppose they'd ignore me even more than a regular CM.

Becky

I'm going to put my suit of armor on now :D because I know as soon as I hit submit I am going to need it.:animwink:

In general large groups of teenagers, no matter what their nationality, act like four year olds when away from parental supervision. :eek:

At least that is how it seems since one generally doesn't notice large groups of kids acting like young adults:D . Many act mature but since they are not doing anything wrong we don't notice them.:eek:

I am sure thousands of Brazilian couples and families go to Walt Disney World and are polite and friendly. We don't notice that because they are not wearing signs saying "I am Brazilian, notice I am just like you".
:cool:

The worst group of teenagers I ever encountered was at the Washington D.C. Zoo. They were trying to turn the tour train over with my family and others on it.:mad:

Gee, I sure hope I remember my post come December when I encounter the tour groups. I hope I take a deep breath, count to ten and go on with my visit to the Happiest Place on Earth.:D :sohappy:

DDPGambit

As a teenager, I agree with what you said. In general large groups will act like 4 year olds. HOWEVER, the key word is in general. Most of us do act mature, and don't want to cause a ruckus. I myself don't want to mess up my or anyone else's vacation.
As for the Brazilian tour groups, am I the ONLY one to never see them? I used to live in south Florida, and have been to WDW well over 25 times, yet I've never seen a rowdy tour group like everyone talks about on the boards here...

DDPGambit

Depends on your definition of near.
I'm about 20 minutes from downtown Ft. Worth, if thats any help. I know of Mineral Wells, I hear about it on the local news, but I've never been out there.

GrumpyOne

Account Suspended
Learn from the pain!

Okay...the next time any guest encounters rude guests (Brazilian or not) they should grab the nearest large blunt object and start bashing skulls! :hammer:

I hate those f***ing Brazilian tour groups and won't stand for it. I've had more than a few altercations with them while at WDW and will continue to do so. If they don't understand "No!", then maybe they'll understand "Ouch, I think that guy just broke my nose!" (how do you say that in Portuguese anyways?)

If they don't understand English then we'll just have to speak to them in a language they do understand...VIOLENCE!

I know this may upset a lot of people but I don't care. I won't let a bunch of uncivilized, third-world, hooligans think they own the place. I also know a lot of people probably feel this way and are just ashamed to admit it. Thank god I have no tact! :drevil:

Trust me, if everyone were to adopt this "beat them senseless when they get out of line" policy then there wouldn't be any further problems. I promise.

The end DOES justify the means!

Please direct all hate mail to braziliansgohome@thirdworld.br :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom