Amtrak

Goose

Original Poster
Looking into Amtrak for my MIL as she won't fly with us for our trip in August. It will be a long trip from New York, 36 hours, but she will have a book or two. The fear is just to big.

What is the best/closest station and best option to get on to Disney?

Goose

The Mom

Premium Member
I had a house guest take the train from Jacksonville to the train station in downtown Orlando. He took a cab to his hotel, checked in, and then went to the parks. There might be a bus that runs to the resorts, but a cab was faster.

I forgot to ask him how much it cost.

Captain Chaos

Looking into Amtrak for my MIL as she won't fly with us for our trip in August. It will be a long trip from New York, 36 hours, but she will have a book or two. The fear is just to big.

What is the best/closest station and best option to get on to Disney?

Goose

I take Amtrak from Penn Station in Newark, NJ... I always take the train to Kissimmee Station since it is closer to Disney than Orlando's station... There are always cabs there waiting for fares... My friends are always there to pick me up so I never needed one... The Kissimmee Station is right down the road on 192, only a 10 minute drive...

The Mom

Premium Member
I take Amtrak from Penn Station in Newark, NJ... I always take the train to Kissimmee Station since it is closer to Disney than Orlando's station... There are always cabs there waiting for fares... My friends are always there to pick me up so I never needed one... The Kissimmee Station is right down the road on 192, only a 10 minute drive...

Thank you! I wish I had asked you before I sent him to Orlando. :lol:

Captain Chaos

Thank you! I wish I had asked you before I sent him to Orlando. :lol:

Well, Orlando station you can pick up a rental car, forget the car company that is there... and there are probably more cabs and buses even...

The first time I took Amtrak I called to ask what station was closest and they told me Kissimmee... After taking the train the first time, I did note that Amtrak didn't lie.. :)

For me, Kissimmee makes more sense... it is easier for my friends to get to, meaning it is closer for them.... And I use Dollar at the Whydham by DTD to rent my car (by far the cheapest rates I have encountered)...But it really comes down to a matter of preference I guess....

slappy magoo

From what I understand, the Kissimmee station is also, for lack of a better word, "nicer." That's the advice I was given when I was thinking about using Amtrak - we wound up taking the Autotrain, which only drops off in Sanford, so neither Kissimmee nor Orlando was an issue on our trip.

Pioneer Hall

My dad doesn't fly and always takes amtrak into the Orlando station (also coming from NY). He can rent a car from Hertz right there and drop it off whenever he is ready to leave.

Goose

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. It is looking like she will be cabbing it from Kissimmee. I didn't realize Kissimmee has a station or that it would be closer then the Orlando station. We are not looking at renting a car for the trip as it would sit parked except for the train runs.

Goose

BongoFury

I've heard that if you get off at Orlando you could be at your resort around the time the train pulls into the Kissimmee station.

I'm sure the cab ride would cost a bit more.

magicwand

Amtrak info

I don't know if this will help but ... My DH and I go every year and we always use Amtrak as I will not fly. We leave from NY Penn most of the time. Yes, it can be long but we use the "sleeper car" and bring lots of things to entertain ourselves on the way down. We actually love it and always think of this as part of our vacation. In any event, we usually arrive at the Orlando station. What most people don't know is that there is a person there who will take you directly to your Disney hotel for a very nominal fee. He has a van which can accommodate about 8 people. The problem with that is if there are more people going to different hotels you obviously have to wait until each of you are dropped off independently. We usually end up going by ourselves most of the time because, like I stated, most people are not aware of this service. Yes, he is affiliated with Amtrak. His van is right next to the station. He is extremely nice, friendly, will handle your bags, etc. Last year, he charged us, can you believe, $30 to take us to the WL. Hope this helps. If you need more info I have his phone number and name. We plan on calling him later in the year as we are going again in Sept.

Goose

Original Poster
Please tell more about the shuttle. The AAA rep she bought here tix with thought there was a shuttle but didn't have any information on it as she isn't one of the Disney agents.

Being just her she opted out of the sleeper car. She took Greyhound to GA a few summers ago so is ready to sleep sitting up.

magicwand

Question on shuttle

Goose - Is this question directed at me. Sorry I have not been on a few days, work...work...work. That's one of the reasons Sept. cannot come fast enough.

Goose

Original Poster
Goose - Is this question directed at me. Sorry I have not been on a few days, work...work...work. That's one of the reasons Sept. cannot come fast enough.

Ya if you can share the telephone or company that would be great. I hear you the countdown to WDW is making things bearable for me too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We always take the train from Philadelphia to Disney World and really love it. I find it a very relaxing way to travel especially since we always get a sleeper Roomette. As someone else pointed out, Kissimmee is closer to Disney, but it means another 30 minutes on the train so time wise it's not an advantage.

We like the train so much that we are currently planing to go from Philadelphia to Disneyland by train this summer.

magicwand

To Goose -

I hope this will not get deleted since it is not by a "sponsor," but we use a man by the name of Mal. His number is 407-414-6006. His company is called Florida Van Pools. We have used Quicksilver in the past but when we tried to use them on a subsequent visit we were told they do not go the Orlando Amtrak station. Pity, they were very nice and reasonably priced and I would recommend them if I could. Mal is extremely pleasant, albeit a bit talkative but he will keep you entertained on the way to Disney. He has a van which is parked immediately to the left if you are directly facing the front of the station. I hope this helps. Have a safe journey!

Captain Chaos

We always take the train from Philadelphia to Disney World and really love it. I find it a very relaxing way to travel especially since we always get a sleeper Roomette. As someone else pointed out, Kissimmee is closer to Disney, but it means another 30 minutes on the train so time wise it's not an advantage.

We like the train so much that we are currently planing to go from Philadelphia to Disneyland by train this summer.

That is going to be one heck of a long train ride... I looked into it from Penn Station in Newark, NJ... the lay overs in DC and Chicago make it so not worth it...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is going to be one heck of a long train ride... I looked into it from Penn Station in Newark, NJ... the lay overs in DC and Chicago make it so not worth it...

The lay over in Chicago on the way out is long enough that we can get out and spend some time in the city and since we have never been to Chicago this actually works out pretty good for us.

Captain Chaos

The lay over in Chicago on the way out is long enough that we can get out and spend some time in the city and since we have never been to Chicago this actually works out pretty good for us.

You are doing what I thought of... If I ever decide to take a train ride out that way, I'll do it over the course of a few days, taking time to spend a day in Chicago, a day in DC, and a day where ever else there is a long lay over...

After your trip, let us know how the train ride was.

Goose

Original Poster
I just called Mal to make arrangments and he was recovring from heart surgery. Needless to say he won't be able to help for our trip in August but is hoping to get back on the road in September. He did say there should be other vans at the station which is good to know.

I would like to get here something definitive as I don't want to leave her stranded so it is back to original question.

Goose

cba

My dad works for Amtrak, so we usually go on Amtrak instead of plane. If you are willing to drive to Virginia you can get on AutoTrain, a non-stop train ride to Stamford,FL. If not, you can go to NY on the Empire Services, and then go on the Silver Meteor to Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom