American Pavilion in Epcot is a Joke

Captain Barbosa

Original Poster
I was at Epcot a few days ago and I noticed something that made me slightly frustrated. The whole America area in World Showcase is, in my opinion, severely lacking. We have an ampi-theater, a cheeseburger/chicken finger stand, and a store that sells David Beckham jerseys. Nothing against David Beckham, but he has only played a few games on American soil due to injury and there are SO many other American athletes that deserve exposure over the (not even American) David Beckham. The store also features oh-so-generic "Made in USA" shirts and hoodies that are available at every Wal-Mart and truck stop across the country. Why can't we sell things that really say good things about America? For instance, Italy has a HUGE selection of perfumes/colognes which is something Italy is known for. Germany has beer steins. Mexico certainly has very cultural items for sale that the country is known for. Are we really known for David Beckham jerseys? Come on...

I also have a problem with the American "restaurant." Every other country has sit-down table service restaurants, some countries even have 2 restaurants. America has one fast food area. Why can't we have a restaurant that really shows off America cuisine? Something along the lines of (dare I say ) Emeril's at Universal's City Walk would be amazing at World Showcase.

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.:brick:

wedway71

I agree about the food. I wish they would make a sit down. Only problem I see with any kind of theming or food is that the USA is such a melting pot and hard to say whats really "American Food' any more. I lived in South Florida for along time and the food culture there is alot different from where I live now In Indiana where its more "Midwest", but both are American.

I would say if I had to be Food and Bev Mgr at Disney-I would do a theme like Magic Kingdom "Harbor House" ambiance but more upscale with food like
Steak,Seafood,etc with American Beers like "Sam Adams and Anchor Steam.

But hey, my career path has been Retail and Human Resources so I am not the one-lol:D

Captain Hank

I was at Epcot a few days ago and I noticed something that made me slightly frustrated. The whole America area in World Showcase is, in my opinion, severely lacking. We have an ampi-theater, a cheeseburger/chicken finger stand, and a store that sells David Beckham jerseys. Nothing against David Beckham, but he has only played a few games on American soil due to injury and there are SO many other American athletes that deserve exposure over the (not even American) David Beckham. The store also features oh-so-generic "Made in USA" shirts and hoodies that are available at every Wal-Mart and truck stop across the country. Why can't we sell things that really say good things about America? For instance, Italy has a HUGE selection of perfumes/colognes which is something Italy is known for. Germany has beer steins. Mexico certainly has very cultural items for sale that the country is known for. Are we really known for David Beckham jerseys? Come on...

I also have a problem with the American "restaurant." Every other country has sit-down table service restaurants, some countries even have 2 restaurants. America has one fast food area. Why can't we have a restaurant that really shows off America cuisine? Something along the lines of (dare I say ) Emeril's at Universal's City Walk would be amazing at World Showcase.

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.:brick:
The American Adventure pavilion has two very strong things going for it: the American Adventure show and the Voices of Liberty. The show is among the best in Epcot, and definitely one of the top 10 attractions in Walt Disney World. See it. The Voices of Liberty is, in my opinion, the best performing group on property. See them.

As for the Heritage Manor shop, I wholeheartedly agree that it is lacking in originality and truly representative merchandise. However, Liberty Inn does have a legitimate reason for its existance--picky eaters may not find anything else to their liking in World Showcase. However, with the little permanent hot dog and turkey leg shops recently popping up along the promenade, I really hope that American Adventure will soon get a decent restaraunt.

yoda_5729

I just went to Disney, and though it might sound strange we eat at the american restaurant every time, the last 20 some times. It's become a bit of a tradition when we are on vacation. I understand the theming and such isn't the greatest, but I love the place and love that it's fast food.

Also, I love the American Adventure show, I think it's great.

I do admit David Beckham has no business being in the US pavillion, but he can have stuff in Britain. He's done very little as far as publicity here.

The single biggest problem, I have with the US Pavillion in Epcot is, the theming of when the environment was chosen. It is very similar to Liberty Square. Having two sections that similar in theming to me seems a waist. I would much prefer a skyscraper from Chicago or New York, or even the US Capitol building or White House.

I do love the restaurant the way it is though, and really hope they don't change that, though a table service restaurant some other place, like say the Odyssey pavillion, that might work :)

SDav10495

The single biggest problem, I have with the US Pavillion in Epcot is, the theming of when the environment was chosen. It is very similar to Liberty Square. Having two sections that similar in theming to me seems a waist. I would much prefer a skyscraper from Chicago or New York, or even the US Capitol building or White House.

While I understand your point about there being two "Liberty Squares", I think the theming of the American pavilion is just right. Skyscrapers, stunning and uber-American though they are, would be wrong--not just because their scale would be all off, but because each of the other pavilions showcases its nation's more traditional architecture rather its modern architecture (and what is more traditionally American than the architecture popular at the nation's birth?). 20th century architecture would be out of place as the centerpiece of World Showcase.

As for the Capitol or the White House, both are beautiful structures...but I think it's good that Disney steered clear of replicating a government building to symbolize the United States. Both of those buildings are inextricably linked to politics, so for different people they carry different connotations--good and bad--that should not be used to represent all the people of the United States. While it can be argued that the old Georgian architecture used in the American pavilion doesn't represent all Americans either, it at least takes its aesthetic cues from Independence Hall, a building that represents an ideal we can all agree upon.

So I think the theming is great...I just wish the pavilion was a more clearly defined "area", like the other pavilions, that could offer more to do. The American Adventure is hands-down my favorite show in Epcot, but the pavilion's other offerings (especially including the food) do little to really represent the United States.

yoda_5729

While I understand your point about there being two "Liberty Squares", I think the theming of the American pavilion is just right. Skyscrapers, stunning and uber-American though they are, would be wrong--not just because their scale would be all off, but because each of the other pavilions showcases its nation's more traditional architecture rather its modern architecture (and what is more traditionally American than the architecture popular at the nation's birth?). 20th century architecture would be out of place as the centerpiece of World Showcase.

As for the Capitol or the White House, both are beautiful structures...but I think it's good that Disney steered clear of replicating a government building to symbolize the United States. Both of those buildings are inextricably linked to politics, so for different people they carry different connotations--good and bad--that should not be used to represent all the people of the United States. While it can be argued that the old Georgian architecture used in the American pavilion doesn't represent all Americans either, it at least takes its aesthetic cues from Independence Hall, a building that represents an ideal we can all agree upon.

So I think the theming is great...I just wish the pavilion was a more clearly defined "area", like the other pavilions, that could offer more to do. The American Adventure is hands-down my favorite show in Epcot, but the pavilion's other offerings (especially including the food) do little to really represent the United States.

I do agree with many of the things you said, especially about how some might not like a more political building being the representation of America, especially sine I always am irritated when people outside the normal avenues of history are ignored, like pop culture and the fiune arts. Hence my avatar and all. That is one of the reasons with the video montage at the end I like American Adventure so much.

I guess all I meant to say was I'm not a fan of that period as far as architecture, but really just in general. I find it boring, so to have 2 disfferent areas in Disney world themed to that genre, it gets a bit annoying. I'm not a huge fan of that specific time period because in all the history classes I had we dwelled on that period and nothing else.

A lot of the pavillions obviously can't showcase all that their country has to offer, like when you look at Itlay their is no Rome represented, just Venice, even though Rome is more historic.

I have no problem with Liberty Square being themed as it is because it's a representation of America when it became a nation, but then to turn around and make America in Epcot that.........just turns me off pretty quick, and I love architecture. By skyscraper I meant it more like the Eiffle Tower is in France then right there in the dead center trying to tower over everything. It's difficult I guess, but that is the biggest thing that dissappoints me.

As far as the food, you run into the same problem. Fast food is thed way a ton of American's eat. When you think of every meaningful fast food chain, they are American. It might not be healthy, and might not be up your alley as far as taste, but it is american, and as far as the masses speaking....billions and billions served pretty much sums it up. I can understand why they did that.

I would have made the American pavillion either more modern or a montage of things from America, like a Washington monument, Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, St Louis Arch, Grand Canyan etc type stuff represented. Whenm I think of great structures in the US, Independance Hall does not come into my mind, even though it's historic, so to is the Roman Colisseum. And isn't the Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square supposed to be basically Independance Hall too? I went into both the US store and Liberty Squares store, wanting to buy National Treasure, and neither of them were selling it, which shocked me. The way the US is themed, we don't even have 50 states. California and Texas are probably still independant. I don't know the exact dating of the pavillion, but you could even say it's when we have 13 states. So the state I live in can't be represented in it.

The gift shop mostly selld books based around presidents and that type of stuff, so I thought if they sell mostly those books making a capitol or White House wouldn't be so bad. Honestly I'm not much into Presidential stuff, and I love sports, but yes, Washington merchandise should be sold there before Beckham. Why not sell throw back jerseys of Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson or Michael Jordan?

But, I don't know the answer, just thougfht I'd voice my opinion, but maybe I'm just weird I guess :p

KeithVH

What cuisine is more American than fast food?

We could at least add some class to it. How about transplanting Carnegie Deli in NYC down there? With a to-die-for hot pastrami sandwich. How about a Philly cheesesteak place? A decent po-boy? Shoot, anything Cajuin (maybe some fried gator?). How about period-type food from the Revolution? Williamsburg taverns do a bang-up job on that.

scottnj1966

I have to agree the USA pavilion needs so much more added.
The show is awesome. I always liked it.

The food area, a 100% joke, always has been, always will be until we have a sit down steak house or something good like that.

I can see having hamburgers, funnel cakes, and things like that, it is us, but we need a real restaurant.

It would also be nice to have a ride but not at the expense of losing America Adventure.

You have room disney. Add to the budget. Why not?
Have some pride in the country like Walt himself always had.
Sometimes profits need to be overlooked for a little while.

Scott

yoda_5729

Maybe it's just me, but is steak really American....I mean wouldn't Germany have a better claim to that one?

Honestly, this is just me and my family, but America is the ONLY fast food place in all of the world showcase as far as sit sdown food to my knowledge. That makes it very important as it can house a ton of people over the same time the others would be swamped if they had to deal with those types of crowds.

Carnegie Deli might not be bad, and maybe Chicago style hot dogs, phiully cheesesteak, cajun stuff, southwestern type food, all that would be fine to add on to the menu, but I think theming is kinda ruined in a way when you do all that.

Take the Beckham jersey...and yes I understand I'm probably taking the worst item in that shop to be American, but anyways...he's been in this country 1 year...and I go up to the cash register and buy it from a clerk in a colonial times get up......why? Would buying a Chicago style hot dog from Paul Revere make any sense. I dunno....maybe I'm just thinking to much.

sring

My initial thought was since the American Adventure pavilion is modeled on Independence Hall, a themed resturant might have some colonial theming (a la the City Taven in Philadelphia), but I also agree it may too much resemble Liberty Square in MK.

CThaddeus

As far as "pavilions" go, you're probably right. The restaurant isn't anything that would lure someone from another country (or even this country) in, and the store sells stuff only a hardcore Americana collector would want. However, The American Adventure attraction more than makes up for all that, in my opinion. Of course, it must be noted that I don't care much about the shops and restaurants of World Showcase. There's only so much eating and shopping I want to do there (ie. VERY little), so if the pavilion doesn't have an attraction - be it 360 film, short boat ride, or whatever - then I won't be spending much time there. Every pavilion deserves an attraction on the scale of The American Adventure. I would love to see similar histories told in Italy, Great Britain, etc. I'd have to devote an entire second day to World Showcase just to get through it all. Meet the World, anyone?
Once every country has an attraction, then maybe they could focus on the lame surroundings to the wonderful American Adventure attraction.

Figment571

We could at least add some class to it. How about transplanting Carnegie Deli in NYC down there? With a to-die-for hot pastrami sandwich. How about a Philly cheesesteak place? A decent po-boy? Shoot, anything Cajuin (maybe some fried gator?). How about period-type food from the Revolution? Williamsburg taverns do a bang-up job on that.

All of that is not a bad idea. The taverns are incredible, maybe even have a meeting sometimes, bout dem redcoats (probably better for liberty square), a Philly place in the corner kinda hidden away (try to get Pat's not Geno's), A New Orleans stlye Canjun hoppin joint on the Waterfront, and if they want fast food, plop down an In-N-Out. Nothing more American than that.:sohappy:

Figment571

Maybe it's just me, but is steak really American....I mean wouldn't Germany have a better claim to that one?

Honestly, this is just me and my family, but America is the ONLY fast food place in all of the world showcase as far as sit sdown food to my knowledge. That makes it very important as it can house a ton of people over the same time the others would be swamped if they had to deal with those types of crowds.

Carnegie Deli might not be bad, and maybe Chicago style hot dogs, phiully cheesesteak, cajun stuff, southwestern type food, all that would be fine to add on to the menu, but I think theming is kinda ruined in a way when you do all that.

Take the Beckham jersey...and yes I understand I'm probably taking the worst item in that shop to be American, but anyways...he's been in this country 1 year...and I go up to the cash register and buy it from a clerk in a colonial times get up......why? Would buying a Chicago style hot dog from Paul Revere make any sense. I dunno....maybe I'm just thinking to much.

We're Americans according to the rest of the world we don't think......:lookaroun:p

C&D

The shows are terrific; The American Adventure, Voices of Liberty, and don't forget the, Fife and Drum. American cuisine?, well it would be so eclectic, that would probably be a tough nut to crack (at one restaurant). JMO

Iv always thought the same thing for the UK it looks so 1960's style. nothing like the UK today, makes you wander if people from other counties feel the same about there countries pavilion

DisneyMusician2

I think every pavillion reinforces a certain stereotype about each area. It what makes it a fanciful reproduction rather than an actual visit to that country.

As for fast food....look around! You might be surprised just how ingrained it is in our culture compared to others...:king: There is plenty of "American Food" on property, I have no problem with a little fast food in the Showcase for the American representation. We are the international pioneers of fast food!

Fun2BFree

Iv always thought the same thing for the UK it looks so 1960's style. nothing like the UK today, makes you wander if people from other counties feel the same about there countries pavilion

I definitely think the UK is the worst-represented of all the World Showcase pavilions. All we have is a (actually quite talented) Beatles tribute band, a pub restaurant, several shops toting toys and Beatles memorabilia and a chippie (*yawn*).

When you contrast that with your stunning American Adventure with state-of-the-art AAs, a rousing score, excellent set pieces, couple with the superb Voices of Liberty, huge outdoor amphitheater and your prime location at the very head of World Showcase, you don't seem as badly represented. ;)

bfbulldog

I agree that the American pavilion is currently lacking a broader range of cultural items that you see in some of the other countries pavilions.

As for David Beckham, give me break. Soccer means zip in this country for anyone over the age of 12 so why showcase an obscure person from an obscure sport (in America) where 90% of the population could care less about it? I understand it's probably because he appeals to foreign tourists where soccer is far more popular but why falsely portray this guy as being representative of America when clearly he's not?

As for the food, I know it's tough to define what food is exactly American but they could set up a couple of stations to represent different parts of the country and the cuisines that are popular. Just a couple items, maybe some seafood from New England, Cajun from New Orleans, pizza from Chicago etc. I think that would be a little more representative than just chicken fingers and hamburgers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom