American Idol sign now up

Webhead

100_2905.jpg

MousDad

I'm glad the sign isn't bigger.

I'm still having trouble caring about this new attractions, or I guess I should say, "experience" - especially with the impact to Fantasmic.

I thought Fantasmic's cut was part of the entertainment cutbacks property-wide, and that any connection to American Idol was just speculation.

DisneyMusician2

I also like the sign very much. It is understated in its scope, which is fine by me. I don't think we needed the big flashy video screen approach anyway.

I don't know how interested I'm going to be in seeing the actual attraction, but I'm sure its mass appeal will be great.

It just may not resonate with us the Disney die-hards.

bears163

seeing that american idol is jumping the shark this season by adding a 4th judge....howlong will the attraction last? i still do not get why they are doing this now....it does not make me want to go to DHS anymore...dont get me wrong i go anyway but it does not excite in anyway. i just dont get it....maybe its me

marksniles

I just have to point out, they did a similar thing with Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and that attraction turned out to be quite popular--so much that they built another one across the country.

I for one, love the look of the sign, am glad they're actually putting some love into the building, and thrilled the theater will finally be used again--it's been sitting dormant for too long!

Yes but at least WWTBAM was shown on a network owned by Disney. AI is a fox network show.

WishIwasThere

I look at it this way...at least something is going into a theater that has been empty for quite a while. While the show might not be for everyone, at least it is something new for the park.

dmagickingdom

I look at it this way...at least something is going into a theater that has been empty for quite a while. While the show might not be for everyone, at least it is something new for the park.

yeah, i see ur point. I also look at it another way though. If Disney wanted to, they could spend more time on it and put something there that would be amazing and last for a long time. AI is on it's way down now in popularity and just like millionaire, will close or be "unpopular" in a few short years. However something like "Mickey's Philar Magic" (just to throw some show out there) will hold it's value much longer than AI will.

RSoxNo1

Yes but at least WWTBAM was shown on a network owned by Disney. AI is a fox network show.

By this rationale, we should remove 80% of the content in the Great Movie Ride and only showcase movies that were made by Disney. Let's replace Alien with Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

American Idol is still the most watched show on television, and it has family appeal. To say that it's "jumping the shark" and "losing steam" isn't really accurate. It's like saying the 1999 and 2000 Yankees World Series teams jumped the shark because they didn't win 114 games during the regular season like the 1998 team did. When something is at as high a level as American Idol was there's obviously going to be a decline, but when that decline still leaves it as the most popular show on television it's not nearly as large a problem as people on here are making it out to be.

dmagickingdom

By this rationale, we should remove 80% of the content in the Great Movie Ride and only showcase movies that were made by Disney. Let's replace Alien with Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

American Idol is still the most watched show on television, and it has family appeal. To say that it's "jumping the shark" and "losing steam" isn't really accurate. It's like saying the 1999 and 2000 Yankees World Series teams jumped the shark because they didn't win 114 games during the regular season like the 1998 team did. When something is at as high a level as American Idol was there's obviously going to be a decline, but when that decline still leaves it as the most popular show on television it's not nearly as large a problem as people on here are making it out to be.

ok dude..."jumping the shark" means that it has hit it's highest level ever. It reached it's climax. You can't call it an inaccurate statement. However you can't call it accurate either. It's a matter of opinion. And, in my opinion, it has jumped the shark. It does not mean it's a failure. It just means that it's on it's way down. Disney is putting in an attraction that will lose guest viewership in recent years coming. There is NO DOUBT about that. All shows do it. Survivor, WWTBAM, Jeopardy. It doesn't mean it will lose all fans. It just means that it's already climbed the mountain and now has to go back down.

And, I agree with you about the other guy's post. Tower of Terror is a Disney classic and was only built with the rights of The Twilight Zone being bought from CBS by Disney to create that ride.

bgraham34

That is right I agree 100%. The Studios needs more to offer and this will help.

drew81

I thought Fantasmic's cut was part of the entertainment cutbacks property-wide, and that any connection to American Idol was just speculation.

It might be part of the overall cutback but also American Idol is over budget so that doesn't help the Studios Entertainment budget. I have been told that a certain executive/park director came up with the idea to cut Fant! back to 2 nights a week because it would be much cheaper to have American Idol play as a finale the other 5 nights a week.

dmagickingdom

It might be part of the overall cutback but also American Idol is over budget so that doesn't help the Studios Entertainment budget. I have been told that a certain executive/park director came up with the idea to cut Fant! back to 2 nights a week because it would be much cheaper to have American Idol play as a finale the other 5 nights a week.

that doesn't surprise me. They do some crazy things some times because they don't look from the outside in I guess. They will get their senses back though hopefully, if this is true!

drew81

that doesn't surprise me. They do some crazy things some times because they don't look from the outside in I guess. They will get their senses back though hopefully, if this is true!

I also heard that this executive thought this would look great on their resume to save the park so much money by not having Fant! play each night and that when Studios sees a decrease in guest spending/revenue because of Fant! only playing 2 nights a week they will use the excuse of the economy.:brick:

MousDad

Does that mean AI finale will be in the Fantasmic theater 5 nights a week?

dmagickingdom

I also heard that this executive thought this would look great on thier resume to save the park so much money by not having Fant! play each night and that when Studios sees a decrease in guest spending because of Fant! only playing 2 nights a week they will use the excuse of the economy.:brick:

wow... I simply think it's a terrible idea to limit fant. That's like doing wishes 2 nights per week or illuminations the same. I hope this does not become reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom