American Idol in Superstar theater...Proof

Figment571

One more item of interest: Songs? are they going to be paying to use real songs?

It's really stupid because this would've been better: Rock Band:Live! OR Guitar Hero: Live!

More people would know how to do it and it'd be ALOT cooler.
:D

I would totally crap myself! That would be epic! At the end of the night the pre show for Fantasmic could be a "Through Fire and Flames" contest between the winners!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I love how you all call yourselves Disney lovers but are always so negative and are not happy unless you rip things apart. It makes reading these boards so disheartening. Enough said.

...can't wait for the responses

But we always like to ask ourselves WWWD? What would Walt Do? :p

DisneyAnole

I love how you all call yourselves Disney lovers but are always so negative and are not happy unless you rip things apart. It makes reading these boards so disheartening. Enough said.

...can't wait for the responses

Last time I checked American Idol has nothing to do with Disney. It's not even on a Disney-owned station. It'd be like putting a Survivor attraction in a Disney park. (Remember Survivor? It was another reality show that wore out its welcome and is no longer meaningful even in the trash heap of pop culture.)

And of course, you don't have to read the discussions if they disgust you.

Hope you didn't have to wait too long for that response!

maxime29

Premium Member
Just when I was happy they pulled Millionaire. Now they pull another one of these attractions.

Good job Imagineering. Way to think outside the Fox....er....box.

Pirate665

I love how you all call yourselves Disney lovers but are always so negative. It makes reading these boards so disheartening. Enough said.

I think it will be a great hit and I also see Disney doing it with the expectations for it to be here for a limited period of time. Besides it will give some nice renovation to the ABC Theater.

Lets just look forward to it!

:p

Renovation, okay. But, something like this? Not Disney, not Walt, not anything. You hold the girl/boy crying when they were told, not good enough and got a pin to show for it. This is not Disney. This is trash. And, though it will be for a limited time, it's a waste of a good space.

And don't forget, there's a bronze bust of the man who dreamed up this World we call Disney overlooking that theater. Go ahead, tear it down and put pop culture there. Destroy perfectly good dreams in a place "Where Dreams Come True." He wanted to move forward, but I really don't think like this.

>Steve

wannab@dis

Renovation, okay. But, something like this? Not Disney, not Walt, not anything. You hold the girl/boy crying when they were told, not good enough and got a pin to show for it. This is not Disney. This is trash. And, though it will be for a limited time, it's a waste of a good space.

And don't forget, there's a bronze bust of the man who dreamed up this World we call Disney overlooking that theater. Go ahead, tear it down and put pop culture there. Destroy perfectly good dreams in a place "Where Dreams Come True." He wanted to move forward, but I really don't think like this.

>Steve
Yeah, I'm sure you know what "Walt would do"... :rolleyes:

You've worn out your theory in the threads about the poor little weeping kids. However, you have NO CLUE the format of the show. How about you wait and see? Of course, it seems everyone here would rather bash it. Oh, pop culture? Walt was king of it... he relished it... and he used it for every dollar he could wring out of it. ;)

DisneyAnole

Yeah, I'm sure you know what "Walt would do"... :rolleyes:

You've worn out your theory in the threads about the poor little weeping kids. However, you have NO CLUE the format of the show. How about you wait and see? Of course, it seems everyone here would rather bash it. Oh, pop culture? Walt was king of it... he relished it... and he used it for every dollar he could wring out of it. ;)

No kidding? I missed the "Dating Game" attraction at Disneyland...but now that I think about it...why not? I'd love to see an attraction based on "Blind Date." Wouldn't that be rad? What about a show about "Big Brother"---you could spy on people in the resorts! That'd be really cool!

Walt was into self-promotion (and didn't mind advertising for sponsors), but what non-Disney pop culture did he fit into DL?

Spyne

Yeah, I'm not too happy with this. I think this will be an attraction I'll skip. Though probably because I am just not a fan of American Idol.

wannab@dis

No kidding? I missed the "Dating Game" attraction at Disneyland...but now that I think about it...why not? I'd love to see an attraction based on "Blind Date." Wouldn't that be rad? What about a show about "Big Brother"---you could spy on people in the resorts! That'd be really cool!

Walt was into self-promotion (and didn't mind advertising for sponsors), but what non-Disney pop culture did he fit into DL?
Disney WAS pop culture for that time period and they worked it for everything they could. But, there wasn't the entertainment culture that we now have. How many TV networks at that time? Three, Four? Now? Hundreds... How many indepedant film makers? How many screens did the local theatre have? One? and it was the only one in town.

Things are MUCH different today and that should be obvious. Disney still has a huge impact on our entertainment, but just the vast amount available means they SHOULD look outside their boundaries. That makes good business sense.

Hey, I could be totally wrong. I don't care to admit it. But, if I'm right, it's great for the company and the business. More happy customers, more revenue, more investment in the parks. In fact, I hope this thing is a huge success... just means I'll have some shorter lines to wait and new things to enjoy. ;)

DisneyAnole

Disney WAS pop culture for that time period and they worked it for everything they could. But, there wasn't the entertainment culture that we now have. How many TV networks at that time? Three, Four? Now? Hundreds... How many indepedant film makers? How many screens did the local theatre have? One? and it was the only one in town.

Things are MUCH different today and that should be obvious. Disney still has a huge impact on our entertainment, but just the vast amount available means they SHOULD look outside their boundaries. That makes good business sense.

Hey, I could be totally wrong. I don't care to admit it. But, if I'm right, it's great for the company and the business. More happy customers, more revenue, more investment in the parks. In fact, I hope this thing is a huge success... just means I'll have some shorter lines to wait and new things to enjoy. ;)

But at what point does Disney sacrifice atmosphere and imagination in an effort to be hip and current?

To me this is pretty much what they're doing with Idol. Having Aerosmith "star" in an attraction was a start down this path. And of course if RNRC was a marvelous ride and not just a roller coaster with black light cardboard cutouts, a lot could be forgiven.

My point is it's not a cardinal sin for Disney to use properties other than their own (Lucas's films, Twlight Zone e.g.). It's a problem to make attractions that lack imagination and then to hype those attractions like they're really something. Why the hell was this announcement a media story? Because it's American Idol. Not because it's Disney doing something original or creative.

Disneyfanman

DHS captures Themed Entertainment from TV, Movies, and Music. They already have many properties that aren't Disney. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this idea. I am a moderate fan of the show (I start watching with the final 12 competitions), and also believe that DHS is fast becoming a park that is no longer relevant. Of all of their parks, DHS must offer up NEW entertainment offerings tied into modern properties, along with CLASSIC stuff. It always makes sense to me that the shows should be tied to new stuff, while the high investment rides are classics that don't easily become stale.

I think that this idea really has potential. People can get a behind the scenes experience with hair and makeup, and the BEST ones get to perform for the masses.

This is also not a small investment attraction. It will have to be heavily staffed, and utilize top notch equipment. Not an E-Ticket for sure, but (maybe) a solid entertainment offering that appeals, not to everyone, but to families looking for a different attraction than the norm.

So even if you don't like the show....give Disney credit for trying something completely different. It's a risk, and it sounds like they are figuring it out as they go along. Kind of exciting really. I didn't think the Monster's Laugh Floor would be very good (And indeed the first version wasn't), but now we see it on every visit, and really enjoy the experience. In fact, it's become a real family favorite.

With the exception of SE, and Stitch, I have been very happy with just about every new offering from Disney over the past few years. I say congrats on having the courage to stretch the envelope a bit, and hopefully we will enjoy it when we go again next year.

And if it stinks, then we can gripe about it after it opens! What the heck were they thinking........!

DisneyAnole

DHS captures Themed Entertainment from TV, Movies, and Music. They already have many properties that aren't Disney. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this idea. I am a moderate fan of the show (I start watching with the final 12 competitions), and also believe that DHS is fast becoming a park that is no longer relevant. Of all of their parks, DHS must offer up NEW entertainment offerings tied into modern properties, along with CLASSIC stuff. It always makes sense to me that the shows should be tied to new stuff, while the high investment rides are classics that don't easily become stale.

I think that this idea really has potential. People can get a behind the scenes experience with hair and makeup, and the BEST ones get to perform for the masses.

This is also not a small investment attraction. It will have to be heavily staffed, and utilize top notch equipment. Not an E-Ticket for sure, but (maybe) a solid entertainment offering that appeals, not to everyone, but to families looking for a different attraction than the norm.

So even if you don't like the show....give Disney credit for trying something completely different. It's a risk, and it sounds like they are figuring it out as they go along. Kind of exciting really. I didn't think the Monster's Laugh Floor would be very good (And indeed the first version wasn't), but now we see it on every visit, and really enjoy the experience. In fact, it's become a real family favorite.

With the exception of SE, and Stitch, I have been very happy with just about every new offering from Disney over the past few years. I say congrats on having the courage to stretch the envelope a bit, and hopefully we will enjoy it when we go again next year.

And if it stinks, then we can gripe about it after it opens! What the heck were they thinking........!

What envelope are you talking about? It's a county fair talent show, a gilded karaoke bar. I'm surprised SSE disappointed you but this doesn't.

xdx

At least a change...

Not a fan of the show... never watched it... but has had a few decent artist come from it...

But remember...

The building has been sitting there doing nothing for a decade or longer so at least it will be something...

We watch the parade there pretty often and everybody just walks by and says "Whats in there?"

Uh... nothing...

I would think that this will add some numbers to MGM which is its obvious purpose. It may even add some numbers to WDW which is even better. As far as it becoming a karaoke bar, I'm not sure of the numbers at MGM per day but would guess around 10K come through the gates each day.

Just off personal experiences in churches, if you have 1500 members, you probably have 25 decent singers, and 5 of those are probably good enough to be bgv's for most labels, and maybe 1 could potentially be a star but may not have the "image" to sell; but has the voice.

I would imagine if 10K walked through the gates that you would probably come up with at least 50 decent singers (guessing the audition process will cut out most of the unreal dreamers) then do 5 shows that the crowd votes to move on as finalists, then have a big daily finale with confetti and all...

Again, I'm not a fan of the show... but it could be fun at least, especially with the right host... and anything is better than walking past the building for the next 10 years wondering why such a prime peace of real-estate is never open...

just my opinion...x

darthjohnny

The one thing I wonder about the Grand Prize is will there be an age limit on it?

Current American Idol auditions limit a person to a maximum age of 28 years old (yes, older people have been shown auditioning on TV, but it was for more entertainment value than anything).

What if a 30-year old won the prize? Would you get a "thanks for coming" and that's it? Will you get to have the thrill of auditioning anyway, but still not legitimately be eligable for the show? Or will you be somehow compensated? :shrug:

nanna

What if a 30-year old won the prize? Would you get a "thanks for coming" and that's it? Will you get to have the thrill of auditioning anyway, but still not legitimately be eligable for the show? Or will you be somehow compensated? :shrug:

in the press release they have already explained this. If the winner is not eligble to audiion then can give the audition pass to a family or friend, or keep it until they are old enough to audition. They will not be able to sell it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom