Am I the only who ignores Universal?

DfromATX

We did a split trip this past June for the first time. (4 days at Disney and 2 at Uni/IOA) Although my heart still belongs to Disney, I will admit Uni/IOA were pretty awesome! I especially enjoyed IOA, and Harry Potter is the coolest ride! They do have more technologically advanced rides - but that is not always what is most important. Disney has the more nostalgia and magic factor. Of the 6 of us, only my husband said he preferred Uni over Disney. I think Uni is good for Disney and will hopefully keep Disney on their toes to strive to be the best.

Disneyhead'71

Disney doesn't have "nostalgia". Disney is just old and the place we fondly remember from our childhood. We have nostalgia for Disney.

From "The Wiki"- "The term nostalgia describes a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations."

DfromATX

I'd say Disney used to have a better 'model'. While at Disney, I've never sat down at a dirty table, ever...

While at Universal, we sat down at a table that was sticky with ice cream mess. It was never cleaned while we were there eating our meal, and the other tables weren't much better. The harry potter ride has more wow factor to me than any Disney ride, but not as classy of a park when it comes to the small things.

While Disney seems to be letting the theme of rides go to hell, at least they still clean the place.

And the food is pretty crappy at Univ. We did the dining plan so we were limited - it was the same food at every restaurant. If we ever go back there again, we will not do the dining plan, which does not include drinks. We are big Disney Dining Plan people and it is by far superior (if you do it right).

acishere

I'm not a fan of using the dining plan at either. I think its hurting the quality of the food.

The fast food dining at Uni is bot that great overall, but at the Three Broomsticks and the Simpsons food area I was able to find things I enjoyed. Also for table service you have Citywalk right there which has an amazing amount of food choices. It's not that hard to walk out the exit of either park and eat.

DfromATX

I'm not a fan of using the dining plan at either. I think its hurting the quality of the food.

The fast food dining at Uni is bot that great overall, but at the Three Broomsticks and the Simpsons food area I was able to find things I enjoyed. Also for table service you have Citywalk right there which has an amazing amount of food choices. It's not that hard to walk out the exit of either park and eat.

Yeah, since we had never been to Uni, we didn't know any better, but realized after we got there that there were other choices that looked a lot better, but they weren't included the dining plan. So next time, no dining plan.

I guess with Disney, the food is so expensive that I feel like you do get a little better of a deal with the DDP. Part of the fun for me is planning where to eat for dinner. (Yeah, I know that controversy is a whole other topic though, lol.)

Californian Elitist

I hear the counter service at WDW is pretty bad. If so, that's not going to be good for my future trip, since I refuse to pick where I want to eat and make reservations six months in advance.

awoogala

I hear the counter service at WDW is pretty bad. If so, that's not going to be good for my future trip, since I refuse to pick where I want to eat and make reservations six months in advance.
I have noticed couner service at wdw has been getting worse and worse. When I am sitting in Mk eating a burger and thinking it is worse than McDonald's, things are not good!

DfromATX

Neh, there's plenty of good ones to choose from. At MK, we like Cosmic Rays and Columbia Harbor House. Go to their website and browse your dining options. It just depends on what you feel like eating. I don't know how you feel about buffets, but you might be able to get into Chef Mickey's without a reservation. I know it says to make one, but we got in once - not that it's that great.

awoogala

Neh, there's plenty of good ones to choose from. At MK, we like Cosmic Rays and Columbia Harbor House. Go to their website and browse your dining options. It just depends on what you feel like eating. I don't know how you feel about buffets, but you might be able to get into Chef Mickey's without a reservation. I know it says to make one, but we got in once - not that it's that great.
Those are the two we hit last trip and said we'd never go back to! CHH. ugh rancid oil.. my daughter wouldn't even eat the french fries! I keep hearing good reviews, but it was disgusting- we threw out most of our lunch there. I guess one day we'll have to give it another shot, and hope it was just a really bad day when we were there.

DfromATX

Those are the two we hit last trip and said we'd never go back to! CHH. ugh rancid oil.. my daughter wouldn't even eat the french fries! I keep hearing good reviews, but it was disgusting- we threw out most of our lunch there. I guess one day we'll have to give it another shot, and hope it was just a really bad day when we were there.

Ruh-oh! LOL :( Sorry about that.

Well, I guess what I'd suggest to @raven24 is just browse their dining choices before going, maybe make a little list of what each place offers, then chance it depending on what you feel like eating that day. That's what I do. I understand what she's saying... I like to make dinner reservations, but most people don't know what they will feel hungry for 6 months from now.

acishere

Columbia Harbor House has some pretty good items like salmon and fried shrimp. Epcot has a lot op fast food options in WS and Sunshine Seasons at The Land is very good as well. AK has Yak and Yeti which was pretty decent too. DHS I haven't had a great QS experience with except for Starring Rolls and Writers Room, but they are pretty much just bakery/coffeehouses.

I had pretty good luck getting TS reservations a week in advance and the only reservation we made months in advance we had to alter a day before with no issues whatsoever. And this was in June, a time where I felt like I was in a massive zombie herd it was so crowded at MK.

awoogala

Do the majority of counter service spots at WDW serve burgers, fries and pizza?
and nuggets..lol.
I have had a multitude of awful food experiences at cs. I try to give them a second or third chance. I think we just go when all the "regular" cooks are on vacation, or the new trainees come in, because it's been pretty awful. Maybe off season= bad food.
Even good, I think most of the counter service is equivalent to fast food.

Californian Elitist

and nuggets..lol.
I have had a multitude of awful food experiences at cs. I try to give them a second or third chance. I think we just go when all the "regular" cooks are on vacation, or the new trainees come in, because it's been pretty awful. Maybe off season= bad food.
Even good, I think most of the counter service is equivalent to fast food.

"...and nuggets..." LOL!

Guess I will have to do my best.

Californian Elitist

Columbia Harbor House has some pretty good items like salmon and fried shrimp. Epcot has a lot op fast food options in WS and Sunshine Seasons at The Land is very good as well. AK has Yak and Yeti which was pretty decent too. DHS I haven't had a great QS experience with except for Starring Rolls and Writers Room, but they are pretty much just bakery/coffeehouses.

I had pretty good luck getting TS reservations a week in advance and the only reservation we made months in advance we had to alter a day before with no issues whatsoever. And this was in June, a time where I felt like I was in a massive zombie herd it was so crowded at MK.

Thanks.:)

awoogala

well, you asked majority. In EPCOT, the world showcase -the qs has a lot more variety.. Sunshine seasons also has a great selection.
AK- I haven't had great food there, but the qs has a bit more variety, a bit of asian influence.
HS... yeah, not touching qs there, if I can help it.. but i haven't had a great time with ts there, either.
MK- never had anything good in qs there except for the dole whip!
We do park hopping, and try our best to always be in EPCOT by dinnertime, unless we have a special ts. :D
And anyway, it's disney- even a soggy burger in Disney is better than a meal at home!

luv

Worse than McDonald's?! It can't be that bad, can it?
No, it isn't. Not in my opinion. Epcot has a lot of good and varied fast food.

Lots of places have cheeseburgers and chicken fingers, but there is some variety, if you look around. The cheeseburgers are, IMO, good...but you'd tire of them quickly, if that was all you ate. The tacos are horrid, IMO...taste a bit like old, burnt Manwich that was put through a blender. Taco Bell is so much better. Hot dogs are available at the America pavilion and, of course, at Casey's.

You can also sit down to meals without getting ADRs, if you don't need to eat in the most popular places, especially if you go when it is less busy. The most popular places are not necessarily the best, either.

If you aren't locked into the WDW property, you'd be better off eating offsite sometimes. Longhorn is better than Le Cellier and Olive Garden is better than Tony's. Cheaper, too.

I don't know what you like or are looking for, so I don't know if any of that helps.

DfromATX

Probably most, but not all. You can find other options at all the parks, but like I said look on their website. You can even view the menus. That way you'll know in advance what each park offers. Off the top of my head, in MK, Columbia Harbor House has fried fish and chicken baskets, Epcot has Japanese counter service food - not great, but decent, AK has that BBQ place, but watch out for the food stealing ducks! (I would avoid Pizzafari.) Hollywood Studios has Hollywood & Vine. It's ok, but I've seen a lot of complaints. We walked right up to SciFi without reservations. You may not be able to get in, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom