Am I the only one who thinks Soarin is overrated?

adv.bluedude

Original Poster
I dont know. Maybe it's just because Im still mourning over the closure of my once favorite ride, Food Rocks(though as Ive seen vids of it, Im starting to prefer Kitchen Kabaret) but I honestly think that Soarin is a bit overrated. Yes its a good ride if youre sitting on top but if your in the middle or bottom, you can see the floor and the feet of people above you which kinda ruins the experience. Plus, I refuse to wait for and hour and a half to sit in a chair to watch a movie. Like i said, I may just still be looking in the past but I was just wondering if anyone has the same opinion as me.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I dont know. Maybe it's just because Im still mourning over the closure of my once favorite ride, Food Rocks(though as Ive seen vids of it, Im starting to prefer Kitchen Kabaret) but I honestly think that Soarin is a bit overrated. Yes its a good ride if youre sitting on top but if your in the middle or bottom, you can see the floor and the feet of people above you which kinda ruins the experience. Plus, I refuse to wait for and hour and a half to sit in a chair to watch a movie. Like i said, I may just still be looking in the past but I was just wondering if anyone has the same opinion as me.

:wave:

I too think it's overrated. I enjoy the ride, that is for sure, but I don't think that I've even tried to ride it in my past few trips. I get enough enjoyment out of that ride for maybe a 10 minute wait. Heck, personally I'd wait longer for Living with the Land than Soarin. Nothing against those that love the ride, but it just does not scream MUST DO to me either.

Wow, how I loved Kitchen Kabaret!
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit! Veggie Fruit Fruit!

Krack

I enjoy it, but I agree it's overrated. It's poorly themed by Disney standards (including the queue). The only reason it's achieved it's current state of popularity is because Disney has barely built anything new in the last decade.

Tigger1988

Agreed. I went on it for the first time in 2001, right after DCA opened. I was blown away and then it came to WDW and repeat trips on it left me...underwhelmed. They need (well, not need since it brings in huge crowds) to change the video, it has no repeat value to me.

Mukta

It's a good ride, but it doesn't fit in the Land Pavillion of Epcot.
It is a great fit in DCA, and I still get teary-eyed looking at the gorgeous views my home offers.
Attractions like Food Rocks and Kitchen Kabaret fit the theme better. I am all about the theme!

Mammymouse

I thought it was a good ride but I've only done it once in a dozen or more times I've been in recent years. My family gets headaches when they ride something that has a screen as the visual. I would go on it again but I would have to do it by myself and the wait time is usually insane.

bamillerpa

I don't see what all the fuss is about either. During or last trip I got to sit in the front for the very first time and while I did enjoy it more than past trips it still didn't seem all that great to me. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get a chance to ride it during our trip. I definitely wouldn't wait in line for very long to see it either. It's an ok ride, just not worthy of all the hype in my opinion.

ob1thx1138

I really enjoyed it, my wife on the other hand came off with tears in her eyes, so I guess she liked it a little more than I did. LOL

As for the theme of the ride, I think they could have done a little more making it look like a hang glider and of course the best would be a single rider car, imagine being suspended in a hang glider in the center of the screen with fans and everything making it seem very realistic.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

I agree. I think Disney could've done something spectacular with a new one called Soarin' over Florida!

I could be a tall circle vision 3-D ride, and those simulator rides are on pipesin the cealing and you fly and turn and actually move around! instead of it being boring: up, down, lean left, lean right. It can do that PLUS turn and rotate to wherever the circle vision video is flying! :sohappy:

But yeah, it's overated. Just like CBJ at it's current stage :lookaroun

jensdisney

The first time I rode it I was in front and really enjoyed it. When I went back the past two times, wasn't that thrilled. I wish they would do more of a USA theme, like things the states have to offer or National Parks or even other countries just to change it up. Just my two cents worth!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Im not going to say if it is overrated or underrated, however, I will put it like this.

It is worth a 15-20 minute wait (maybe even up to 30 if it is really hot outside)
It is not worth a 30+ minute wait.

That is how I would classify it to me. Love the attraction, but not worth spending an hour waiting for it.

EDIT: I know they use 2 theaters for FP and standby, but I think it is time for a new film. I know it has only been a little over 5 years for the Orlando attraction, I wish they could offer a different film in both theaters.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Overrated? Not sure I would go that far. In need of a makeover, or at least some upgrading? Yes.

googilycub

Overrated? I am not sure I would say that. I will say that it does less and less for me each time I ride it....:shrug: I agree that it is not worth a hour or more wait.

Optimus Mouse

I don't think it's overrated, but I do wish that a. the video quality was better, and b. that the two theaters played different videos.

I do however think that the theming of the Soarin' area is sub-par.

captainkidd

Completely overrated.

I'd wait maybe 10-15 minutes top. The fact that some people wait up to 3 hours for it is just mind boggling.

TP2000

It works great in DCA, especially with locals who are proud to call themselves Californians.

But it's less succesful in Future World because, well, because it was shoehorned into a park it was never supposed to be in.

It doesn't help that there is a dramatic difference in quality between the DCA version and the Epcot version when it comes to maintenance and upkeep. Every time I've been on the Epcot version (latest in '09 I think) the film has been scratchy and had dust bunnies floating around. Nearly 10 years after it opened at DCA, the film quality is fantastic and obviously well cared for.

kcs

Hubby loves it but, I don't think it is as spectacular as it is hyped up to be. I can go to EPCOT and skip it. I agree that if it showed the National Parks across America I would probably see it over and over again. Showcasing CA is fine to see once or twice tops but, seems weird to watch it while visiting Florida.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom