Am I the only one who LOVES Hollywood Studios?

stlbobby

I always find it interesting when people think DHS is "incomplete".

Most feel MK is loaded with attractions. Let's skip this and look at the other 3 theme parks.

In terms of rides, DAK has Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, Triceratop Spin, and Kali Rover Rapids. In terms of shows it has Festival of the Lion King, It's Tough to Be a Bug,
Finding Nemo, and Flights of Wonder. The count is 6 rides and 4 shows. (I'm not judging them, just counting them.)

In terms of rides, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Mission Space, Test Track, Nemo & Friends, Soarin', Living With the Land, Figment, Maelstrom, and Three Caballeros. In terms of shows it has Turtle Talk, Captain EO, and American Adventure. The count is 10 rides and 3 shows. (Sorry but I'm not counting movies pretending to be attractions. These I am judging! I'm counting American Adventure because it is more than just a movie.)

In terms of rides, DHS has the Great Movie Ride, Star Tours, Backlot Tour, Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock n Roller Coaster, and Tower of Terror. In terms of shows it has American Idol Experience, Indiana Jones, Muppets, Lights Motor Action, Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney, and Beauty & the Beast. The count is 6 rides and 7 shows.

IMHO, DHS compares well with DAK and Epcot, especially for a park that was rushed so Disney could beat the opening of Universal Studios. DHS is supposed to be about Hollywood. It makes sense that it has more shows. If you equate completeness with the number of rides, then DHS does not compare as well. However, DHS arguably has some of WDW's most popular rides and shows.

Excluding MK, WDW's marquee rides (in no particular order) might be:
- 4 @ DHS: ToT, RnRC, TSMMM, ST2
- 3 @ DAK: KS, EE, Dinosaur
- 3 @ Epcot: TT, MS, Soarin'

Excluding MK, WDW's marquee shows (in no particular order) might be:
- 4 @ DHS: Indiana Jones, LMA, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast
- 2 @ DAK: Lion King, Finding Nemo
- 0 @ Epcot: Sad, I don't think Epcot has any marquee shows

IMHO, DHS hold up well from a "rides and shows" perspective.

Epcot's advantage is that it has the World Showcase and Innoventions. Although neither rides nor shows, these entertainment centers fill out Epcot, making it feel like a "complete" park. Physically, Epcot is so much larger. I can understand why people might consider Epcot to be more complete than DHS. Of course, I'd like to point out the shuttered Wonders of Life and the missing countries in the World Showcase to suggest that it's still a work in progress.

Others have expressed the view that DAK is the most incomplete park, feeling like a half-day park. I don't recall seeing many posts suggesting DAK is somehow more complete than DHS but Avatarland might improve this comparison, once opened.

It will be interesting to learn what people think of DHS once the Sounds Dangerous and Narnia locations are occupied. Will these be enough for DHS to feel "complete"?

My sentiments exactly. I never understood when people called DHS a half day park or claimed it only took 3 hours to finish. If you go in and just ride the big ticket rides you might get out in a few hours, but even then the TSMM line takes a while, but if you try and do all the shows and rides, and then actually take in the atmosphere it is easily a full day adventure. I love DHS.

Tomi-Rocket

We LOVE Hollywood Studios! I can't even imagine WDW not having it, honestly. It's just a different feel than the others, although no two parks seem alike at all to me. I just love the old Hollywood feel or the feeling like I'm on a studio lot. Just really cool. :)

Glasgow

I like the IDEA of it, but I'm not crazy about it's execution. First off, the layout leaves something to be desired .. there is no buildup when going from area to area. Second, the balance of attractions is off such that RnRC and ToT cause a logjam at the north end of the park (TSMM, notwithstanding, plus NY street is a wasteland) and lastly, there just isn't enough to do with the kids - LMA and IJA both cater to a little bit older kids IMO (don't hate me - I love both of those shows). Sure, there are a few other shows like BaTB, TLM and PDLoS but trying to fit everything into your schedule can be stressful!!

I feel like DHS is about 2 e-tix, 1-dark ride and 1-show away from completion .. hopefully that would be remedied by replacing BLT, building MI and perhaps replacing IJA with an attraction and adding something to Pixar place. Again, just my opinion when I factor in the kids. Lastly, I'd like for them to open up the passage way between ST and NY street.

Redsky89

I love all the parks but the Studios doesn't have the same feel to me as Magic Kingdom or my favorite Epcot. The Studios has always been that park I do half a day at. The studios doesn't have the night atmosphere that Epcot and Magic Kingdom has either. This is just my opinion though. Everyone has their unique view on the parks.

hollywoodj

I agree with the idea that the Studios has PLENTY in it to make it a full day park (or even two, in my opinion), but most guests just want to ride the "big" stuff and not see the INCREDIBLE shows that the park has to offer.

The Empress Lilly

I always find it interesting when people think DHS is "incomplete".

Most feel MK is loaded with attractions. Let's skip this and look at the other 3 theme parks.

Excluding MK, WDW's marquee rides (in no particular order) might be:
- 4 @ DHS: ToT, RnRC, TSMMM, ST2
- 3 @ DAK: KS, EE, Dinosaur
- 3 @ Epcot: TT, MS, Soarin'

Excluding MK, WDW's marquee shows (in no particular order) might be:
- 4 @ DHS: Indiana Jones, LMA, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast
- 2 @ DAK: Lion King, Finding Nemo
- 0 @ Epcot: Sad, I don't think Epcot has any marquee shows

IMHO, DHS hold up well from a "rides and shows" perspective.
Excellent! I think it is often overlooked that four parks are much funner when there is variation and different identity. The parks are supposed to be different. One should not count the number of E, D, C tickets and compare. Each park needs to be judged by how well it creates its own identity and fullfils a meaningful purpose.

Let the MK be the 40 attractions park. EPCOT was build to be the opposite of MK, in particular, FW was build to house half a dozen E-tickets. A few rides, but massive in scope. (WS never got its rides). DHS' specialty are shows, walkthroughs, experiences. Even without the Backlot Tour, this remains true. AK is about exploration and blurring the line between theme and attraction. There is a progression there, the choice for each subsequent park was based on the existing offerings of the other parks.

That's why DAK does not need family darkrides, and the MK does not need big E-tickets, and why DHS does not need a Fantasyland-like Pixar place with c-ticket rides. But why it could do with a more elaborate Animation Tour and some solution to the loss of a meaningful Backlot Tour and working studios theme.

BeanSz

We love this park -- we spend a lot of time here. Love the feel, love the food, love the theme. Kids love it, we love it. I have 3 boys who are very much into Star Wars. Next trip we are going to try to go in May or June so we can attend a Star Wars weekend at DHS. We actually wish they would construct a hotel even closer to DHS that was integrated a bit more with the parks -- even closer than Beach Club, Boardwalk, etc. Could really do a retro Hollywood theme - classic disney studio style. Would be so cool. Kids also love the EMH Dance Parties. I also wish they would put something like a play area or something more kids appropriate between TOT and Rockin' Roller Coaster to entertain the kids while my wife and I do parent switches -- or at least a short cut over the Playhouse Disney area.

experiment624

DHS is our favorite park! LMA is my favorite attraction of all. My husband proposed to me on the stage at LMA. It's our first choice when deciding, "what are we going to do today?"

koryadams

Do I love it? Of course! It's Disney! Fantasmic! Beauty and the Beast! Toy Story Mania! American Idol!! Do I wish they would expand? Yes! It's a tiny park and plenty of room for expansion. But I would never hate a Disney Park!

MissMorrow

The Studios has always been my favorite park and may very well remain so. I've even been known to spend the entire weekend there on occasion. I love the 30's & 40's theming plus some of my favorite film franchises are there. As a PP mentioned it may not have a lot of rides, but there are plenty of other attractions in the form of shows and street entertainment.

The park has its issues for sure, but really which park doesn't? I'd love to see it get a little TLC and some cohesiveness added back into it, but I don't think it needs the major DCA style overhaul.

DisneyJunkie

I've always enjoyed DHS....but....it's never been an all-day visit kind of a park for me. I see everything I know I enjoy generally within 2-3 hours and I'm ready to go to the next park. They need to bring in another big attraction or two over in the area around Star Tours or around MuppetVision 3D. They still have too many people crowding around ToT or RnRC.

wendysue

It seems there is a little too much hate and criticism on Hollywood Studios. Honestly, it's my favorite park. I love the atmosphere from the moment I walk through the main gates.

The feeling of walking down Sunset Boulevard and seeing the Tower of Terror, the rock music playing around Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, the feeling of walking though the streets of New York and the beautiful landscaping. Sure, it could do without that horrible hat, but I really do have a true love for Hollywood Studios. I love ALL of the attractions there. The shows, the rides and the restaurants.

Am I the only one who really loves Hollywood Studios and thinks of it as a way better park than say, Animal Kingdom. I never feel like a trip to Walt Disney World is complete without a trip to the Studios.

Definitely our favorite park. MK is way too crowded, so we like to spend time just strolling around DHS, have a drink at the Tune In Lounge, and soak up the atmosphere later in the evening just hanging out. That will be our first stop in Sept. :)

hauntdmansion79

We love DHS! We always give it a full day and another half day when we go to WDW. We always focus more on MK and Epcot but when we're the Studios, we're always like "this park really is great".

p.s. not lovin' the new forum format. I suppose I'll get used to it.

MagicMike

While I'll agree there are not a huge number of rides to choose from, the park still contains some of Disney's best offerings. I can't imagine a trip to WDW without riding the Tower Of Terror or a run through Star Tours. I have absolutely loved The Great Movie Ride ever since I first experienced it. I only wish it would get the attention and update a once flagship ride deserves. I think the details of DHS tend to be sorely overlooked. The architecture and thematic elements are amazing throughout the park and immerse visitors in the "Hollywood that never was, and always will be". I believe the truly frustrating part is the potential the park holds. Lack of updates to existing rides/shows and a disconnect from the original vision of the park are very evident. I have a ton of nostalgia for this park, some of my best Disney vacation memories were made there and I hope to make many more.

P.S. The Hat Still Sucks.

AswaySuller

It definitely needs a couple more etickets and a dark ride...

The space used for LMA for a mediocre show is astounding....

The backlot tour is pointless, catastrophe canyon was cool in 1993 but now... get rid, use the land spend some money like DCA!

Stellajack

We "love" the Hollywood that never was and always will be"-DHS! We do all the thrill rides, but really enjoy the entire atmosphere at Studios. We have never tried to compare this park to the MK's magic or EPCOT's reality, but have just enjoyed it for the sheer movie magic and glitz of Hollywood in its heyday. I admit that I also love the GMR, Backlot tour, I. Jones, and BatB. When we get an opportunity, we sit for awhile near ToT and listen to any BGM there. RnRC is without doubt our favorite ride in WDW. Not sure what improvements should be made, since I haven't tired of the old ones yet.

DisDadEddie

We like Hollywood Studios,we go multiple times each trip. You can't really appreciate the park as much on a short trip. You need to take your time and give it more than a day.

Jedeye80

DHS is the first park we visited, now we make sure it's always the first stop on our trip, I get that it could do with some improvements but what park couldn't. It has some of the best rides, shows and food, highlight of my last trip was getting a slush at villains in vogue, best shop in all the parks, walking down sunset at night to ride the 2 best attractions inthe parks soaking up the atmosphere with all the rest of the people there, makes me wish I was there right now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom